Words review the right or the chance to choose between choice 选择 several things to agree to do something that someone asks you to do accept 接受 to finish doing something complete 完成 to not do something that someone asks you refuse 拒绝，不愿 to do not being used by others spare 空闲的
to say that you are willing to give someone offer 主动提出，提供 something used when talking about a choice you have to make or about two different possibilities whether 是否 to think that sth may not be true doubt 怀疑 an idea, plan, or possibility that someone suggestion 建议 mentions to succeed in doing something good or getting the result you wanted achieve 获得
What will you do if you have some problems? Can you find anyone to help you? Who can you go and ask for help? What else can you do besides getting help from others? Call the hotline Talk to your close friends Write to some editors of newspapers and magazines Write to some youth workers…
What should I do?
Mille and Simon have some problems. They wrote to a famous youth worker about their problems. Listen to their letters, and then finish the Exercises.
Millie and Simon have both written letters to a youth worker.
? What is Millie’s problem? ? She has a lot of homework to do every day and doesn’t have any spare time for her hobbies.
? What is Simon’s problem? ? He likes playing football and often stays out late to play football. ? But his parents don’t think he should do this.
What is Millie’s aim to write this letter? She has a problem and wants to know how to solve it.
What does Millie feel about her problem?
She really feels bad about it.
Why Millie feels tired the next day? Because she stays up late to complete the exercises.
What are Simon’s hobbies? He loves watching football, reading about football and playing football. How long do Simon and his friends play football? They often play for three hours or more and forget when to stop. What does Simon feel about his problem? He feels stressed and angry from time to time.
Think and sum up
After listening, now read the two letters and complete the following blanks and questions.
Millie’s problem Millie is a Grade 9 student. She has lots _______ hobbies playing volleyball of _______ such as _______ ________ and ping-pong __________. But she has ___ ____ ___ a lot of stays homework every day. She often _____ up complete late to _________ the exercises and then tired feels ______ the next day. Sometimes she refuse wants to ______ to do so much work, but usually she just has no ______ but to choice accept it. She understands that it’s ______ _________ important for her to do her homework hand in on time and ______ it ____ ___ ____.
However, she ______ has any _____ time for hardly spare her hobbies. She really feels _____ about bad that. She often _______ whether it is ______ doubts worth working so hard. She is looking forward to a holiday without homework so that she can __
___ and have some time for her hobbies. relax She wants the youth worker to _________ offer/give her some suggestions.
Read part D on page 47, and finish
the first letter in three minutes.
A letter from Sigmund to Millie Dear Millie Thank you very much for your letter. I hope I can _____ you some useful offer suggestions. You said you do not have enough time to do your homework. Plan your day choice carefully. It will be a good ______ to make a list of all the homework you have to do. Then work out how much time you complete need to ________ it all. This will give you
an idea of how much free time you have. You also said that you do not have enough time for your _______. Perhaps you can hobbies choose one hobby to do each day, for example, playing _________ today and volleyball playing ping-pong the next day. worth I hope you think that my advice is _______ taking. Best wishes Sigmund Friend
Read the letter from Sigmund Friend and work out the ways to solve Millie’s problem. How to treat homework: ? Plan her day carefully
? Make a list of all the homework
? Work out her free time How to do hobbies: ? Choose one hobby to do each day
Simon’s problem Simon is also a ________ student. He is Grade 9 crazy about watching _____ _____ football. He loves ________ reading playing football, _______ about football and _______ football. He always plays football with his friends at school or in the park _____ school. He often after three plays for _____ hours or more and stays out _____. But his parents were very _____. strict late They ask him to come home ______ 6 p.m. before
So he feels _______ and angry from stressed _____ time to time. He wants to have his support parents’ _______. But he doesn’t know what to do. He wants the youth worker to ______ him how to _______ a advise achieve _______ between his schoolwork and balance his hobbies.
Read part D on page 47, and finish
the second letter in three minutes.
A letter from Sigmund to Simon Dear Simon Thank you for your letter. I hope I can offer you some useful ______. advice It seems that you spend a lot of time playing _________ football. Of course, it is very important to have hobbies. However, it is not wise to spend hours playing football stay out after school or to _________ late. I agree with your parents that it is better for you to go home earlier. Do not give up
your hobby but do not forget about your family, either. Play football for an hour or two, and then go home. This is a good balance way to keep a _______ between study strict and hobbies. Your parents are not _____; they just do not want you to stay out so late. I hope my answers will be of some _____ value to you. Best wishes Sigmund Friend
How to solve Simon’s problem? Sigmund’s suggestions: ? Don’t forget the family
? Play football for an hour or two
? Then go home
Growing up can be difficult. You may have many problems.
? Not enough sleep ? Getting low marks ? Quarrelling with
parents ? Not having close friends ? Being laughed at ? Not enough time to do homework ? Getting too many tests and exams ? Not good at sport ? Too noisy at home
What problem do you have?
I don’t have enough time to do homework.
1. I often stay up late to complete the exercise. stay up 意为“熬夜”，“通宵不睡”。如： Do you always stay up?
Don’t stay up too late. It’s bad for your health.
2. It is important to do my homework and hand it in on time. hand in 意为“交出”，“上交”。如： Please hand in your homework. 请把你们的家庭作业交上来。 hand out 意为“分发”。如： Please hand out the papers. 请把试卷分发一下。 hand in hand 意为“手拉手”，“一起”。 如：
3. They walked down the road hand in hand. 他们手拉手地走在马路上。 give sb. a hand 意为“对某人给予帮助”， 也可用lend sb. a hand。如： Give me a hand to carry this TV set. 来帮我抬一下电视机。 He lent me a hand to carry that heavy box. 他帮我一起抬那只笨重的箱子。 Give me a hand, please. 请帮个忙。
4. on time与in time的区别 on time 等于 “neither late nor early”意思是 “按时，准时”。如： The train arrived right on time. 火车正点到达。 You are late today. Please be here on time tomorrow. 今天你迟到了，明天请准时到。 in time等于“not late”意为“及时、不迟”。 如: I was in time for the wonderful football match last night. 昨晚我及时赶上了看精彩的足球比赛。
5. Can you offer me some suggestions? offer用作动词，意为“提供”， “为……提供机会，给予”，常用短语 “offer sb. sth.或offer sth. to sb.”意思是 “为某人提供某物”。如： I offered him some suggestions about studying English. 我给了他一些学英语的建议。 I hope I can offer some useful advice to you. 我希望我能给你提供些有用的建议。
6. We like staying out late to play football. stay out 待在户外；不在家；（晚上）不 回家 Girls shouldn’t stay out too late. 女孩子不应该太晚回家。 Don’t stay out, it is too dangerous. 不要待在外面，太危险了。 I don’t like you staying out so late. 我不喜欢你在外面待到这么晚。
There are many reasons for teenage stress. The following are the main causes. School Teenagers’ stress mainly comes from too much homework and too many exams. From the early school years, students start to hear about the importance of grades. They need to study hard to get into a good college. They spend too much time studying and hardly have any spare time for their hobbies. Many teenagers can’t get enough time to sleep. Parents Parents often have high expectations (期望) of their children. Many parents are strict with their children. They don’t allow their children to do the things they wa
nt to do. They seldom chat with their children because they are busy. They often blame children for the bad grades and behaviour. They don’t know how to make friends with their children. Friends Making friends is very important
for many teens. Some teens, however, may argue with or even fight with their friends about something. They aren’t able to ind a good way to deal with some problems. Teenagers often feel lonely when their good friends move away. High expectations Many times, teenagers place too much stress on themselves. The American Academy of Pediatrics points out that often teens tell themselves that they need to lose weight, get better grades, score more points in the game and prove themselves to their parents. They often compare themselves to their friends and feel they constantly(不断地)need to do better. (From: http://www.livestrong.com) TASK: Fill in the blanks. 1. Teenagers spend too much time ________ and studying hardly have any spare time for their hobbies. 2. Teenage stress mainly comes from school, parents, _______ and high expectations of themselves. friends
Time for reflection
What’s Millie’s/ Simon’s problem? How to solve their problems according to Sigmund Friend? Think about the meanings: stay up (late), stay out (late), in time, on time, be worth doing sth…
We’ve known the meanings of stay up/ out. Can you guess the meanings of stay in/ around/ away? 熬夜
Let the word fly
待 在 某 处
stay out around
Nowadays, a lot of people like to stay in
their houses to surf the Internet. 现在好多人都喜欢宅在家里上网。 How do you know he’ll stay around? 你怎么知道他会待在你身边？ We should stay away from drugs. 我们要远离毒品。
Tell the children they mustn’t stay out after dark. 他老是喜欢待在我们周围，我想让他离我 们远点。 He likes to stay around us. I wish he could stay away. 周末我们更喜欢待在乡下。 We prefer to stay in the countryside on weekends.
Game time Now I will divide you into several groups. Make up sentences with your partners, using the different phrases of “stay”. Then let’s check which group is the most productive.
单项选择。 1. The art exhibition is really worth _____, and you’re sure to learn a lot from it. A. visit B. to visit C. visited D. visiting 2. Speak aloud, please! I can ___ hear you. A. almost B. hardly C. usually 3. —I’m going to the supermarket. Let me get you some fruit. —OK. Thanks for your _____. A. offer B. information C. message D. order
4. I don’t have any close friends here. I feel ______ from time to time. A. alone B. happy C. lonely D. proud 5. —I feel stressed in my study from time to time. I don’t know what to do. —______. A. You should keep quiet. B. What about keeping your worries to yourself? C. Why not ask the youth workers for advice? D
. You’d better pay no attention to your study.
一、翻译课文中的词组和句型。 1. 怎样处理…… how to deal with… 2. 别无选择只能做…… have no choice but to do… 3. 熬夜来完成练习 stay up late to complete the exercises 4. 拒绝做如此多的作业 refuse to do so much work 5. 我理解做……的重要性 I understand that it is important to do… 6. 准时上交 hand it in on time
7. 几乎没有任何空闲时间从事我的兴趣爱好 hardly have any spare time for my hobbies 8. 值得如此努力 be worth working so hard 9. 给我提供一些建议 offer me some suggestions 10. 非常有用 be of great value 11. 收到……的来信 hear from … 12. 如何获取两者间的平衡 how to achieve a balance between the two
solve problems, spend … doing, achieve a balance, hear from, give advice on, focus on, hand in, feel stressed, give up 1. Some children’s families are so poor give up that they have to ______ their study at school.
2. —When will you _______ your hand in composition? —Next Monday. achieve a 3. We’d better find a way to __________ balance between homework and hobbies. ______ 4. Our monitor is a helpful boy and he solves problems always _________________ for us. 5. Write letters to your parents. They look forward to hearing from you very much. ___________
6. The teacher speaks too fast. I ______ feel stressed _________ in class. 7. He is a good student. He ___________ focuses his mind ___ the lessons. on spend doing 8. I had to ______ more time _______ my homework when I went to middle school. 9. We will _______________ you what give advice on not to say or do.
To look up the word “get” in a
dictionary and try to find as many
meanings as you can. Please give
Finish the exercises on Page 46.
Write a letter to me or your friends about your problems.