1. To use reported speech to talk about what someone else said.
2. To use reported speech to report questions.
The use of the word ?dare?
三 教学手段: Multi—Media
Step One: Pre—task
Free talk with students about their daily life by asking them some questions. While doing this we
can write their answers on the Bb.
E.g.1 What did you have for supper yesterday?
Susan said, ?I had noodles for supper yesterday.?
Susan said that she had noodles for supper the day before.
E.g.2. Have you ever been to Hong Kong?
?I have been to Hong Kong twice,? said Tom.
Tom said that he had been to Hong Kong twice.
Ask students to study the two groups of sentences and try to find out something different. If they
can?t find out , the teacher can tell them that that the sentences use different speeches. One is direct speech and the other one is indirect speech/ reported speech. If we use direct speech , we often use quotation marks. For weaker classes, we teachers use Chinese to tell them. 直接引语是直接引述别人的原话，原话用有引号，而间接引
Step Two: While—task
1. Tell the Ss that we can use reported speech to talk about what someone else said. But we have to pay attention to some rules.直接引语改为间接引语时，引述动词是现在时，则间接引语中的动词、时间、时态的形式不变。例如：She says, “ I?ll never forget the moment变成间接引语为She says that she?ll never forget the moment.但是如引述动词为过去时，间接引语中的动词时态一般要作相应的变化。遵循下列规律：
The geography teacher said to us，“The earth goes around the sun. ”
→The geography teacher told us that the earth goes around the sun.
2． Ask students to read Page 103 and try to understand the change of tenses. Then provide them with some exercises.
Change the sentences into reported speech.
1). ?I like apples,? said he.
2). She said, ?I?m doing my homework.?
3). ?I have received the letter,? said Tom.
4). ?I didn?t see the cat,? said he.
5). ?I will be late for school,? said Kate.
3. After doing these exercises tell students that we not only have to change the tenses of the sentences but also have to change the adverbials of time when using reported speech。
tonight（今夜） that night（那夜）
today（今天） that day（那天）
this morning（今天早晨） that morning（那天早晨）
yesterday（昨天） the day before（前一天）
yesterday morning（昨天早晨） the morning before（前一天早晨）
the next/following day;
the day after（第二天）
last week/month（上星期/上个月） the week/month before（前一个星期/月）
the week/month after（第二个星期/月）
the following week/month
this week/month（本星期/本月） that week/month（那个星期/月）
4．After doing these ask students to do some exercises to consolidate. (page 104)
Check the answers with the students and ask them to read the sentences and see if they have
any other questions.
5. ask students to study the sentences we ask them to change into reported speech just now they may find that these sentences are all statements.
“I have lived in the south for years,” Mrs Duncan said.
→Mrs Duncan told me (that) she had lived in the south for years. Duncan夫人说她在南方住了许多年。
“I shall tell him exactly what I think,” she said.
→She said (that) she would tell him exactly what she thought. 她说她将会告诉他她所想的。
2)、直接引语为一般疑问句时，间接引语的连词用if / whether。如：
He said，“Are you interested in English?”
→He asked (me) if I was interested in English. 他问我是否对英语感兴趣。
He said，“Did you see him last night?”→ He asked (me) whether I had seen him the night before. 他问我头天晚上是否见到了他。
3)、直接引语为特殊疑问句时，间接引语的连词用特殊疑问句本身所带的疑问词如when，where，who，why，how，how many，how old等等。如：
“What do you want?” he asked me.
→He asked me what I wanted. 他问我想要什么。
“How can we improve the condition of the soil?” the farmers asked him.
→The farmers asked him how they could improve the condition of the soil. 农民们询问他如何才能提高土壤的质量。
She said to us，“Please sit down. ”
→She asked us to sit down.
He said，“Don?t make so much noise，boys. ”
→He told the boys not to make so much noise.
“Please explain why you?re two and a half hours late,” the boss said.
→The boss asked him to explain why he was two and a half hours late.
“Don?t give up!” Father shouted at him.
→Father told him in a loud voice not to give up.
“Get everything ready in half an hour,” the teacher said to the students.
→The teacher ordered the students to get everything ready in half an hour.
〖注〗主句的谓语动词有时要根据直接引语的情态和语气作相应的变化，如say说； tell sb. 告诉某人；ask问/请求；suggest建议；order命令等等。) This part is optional. You can choose to use.
6. Ask students to do the exercises on page 105.
Step Three: Post—task
1. ask students to work in pairs and try to find out the sentences with direct speech from page 96
to page97 , and then change them into reported speech.
2. Fill in the blanks:
1) ? I am doing some important work,? Mr Smith said.
Mr Smith said _______ _____ _____ some important work.
2) ? who are you looking for?? Tom asked Sandy.
Tom asked Sandy ______ ______ ______ ______ ______.
3) ? Do you want me to help you with your English,? asked he.
He asked ______ ______ _______ ______ ______ help me with _______ English.
4) ? I want to know if you learn it by yourselves,? the teacher said.
The teacher said _______ _______ to know if we _______ _______ it by ___________.
5) our teacher asked if we knew the answer.
?______ ______ _______ the answer?? our teacher asked.
6) Millie asked where her book was.
Millie asked, ?_______ ______ _______ ________ ??
1．he was doing 2. she was looking for 3. if I wanted him to ,my 4 he/she wanted , could learn , ourselves 5 Do you know 6 where is my book
3. Choose the best answers.
1) Mr Wu said he ________ us to the zoo this week.
A. would take B will take C take D takes
2) The witness said he _____under the table at that time.
A hide B have hidden C was hiding D hidden
3) The police asked if anyone _______ tell him some information.
A could B can C is able to D will
4) Can you tell me ___________?
A how far is it B how can I get there
C how can I get to there D how I can get there
5) Sandy said she ________ all the work.
A finished B had finished C has finished D will finish
6) He said he ________ his book at your home.
A leave B leaves C had left D was leaving
（1A 2 C 3 A 4 D 5 B 6 C）
Step Four: Homework:
1. Review what we have learned today and read the sample sentences on your books.
2. Finish the exercises on page 111-112 of《〈 评价〉》and page 73 of <<一课三练>>