Module 6 Animals in danger
Unit 2 The WWF is working hard to save them all.
Why animals are in danger?
Do you know these animals?
What do you know about pandas?
live in the Wolong Panda Reserve
like to climb
like to have a walk
like to eat bamboo
Are there many pandas in the world?
in danger 1,600 pandas
Help! How to save pandas?
30 nature reserves Government made a new plan to help pandas. 1. The nature reserves will be bigger. 2. The bamboo will grow better.
…have enough food to eat …have enough place to live in
Do you know the panda has become the symbol of all the animals in danger?
one of the bestknown animals the symbol for the World Wide Fund for Nature WWF
It works to protect all the animals in danger.
We need to save them! There is still a long way to go to save …
Listen and match the headings with the paragraphs. Reading for fun:
Paragraph 1 Paragraph 2 ---D. An animal in danger ---C. The panda’s home ---A. Nature parks for pandas ---B. WWF and animals in danger
Look for more information.
Paragraph 1 (An animal in danger)
1. How many pandas are there in the wild today?
Only about 1600.
2. What are scientists studying?
They are doing a lot of research to help pandas to produce more babies and help the young to live.
Paragraph 2 (The panda’s home) 1. Pandas live _________________________ in the forests and mountains ______________________________________. of Southwest China. The bamboo forests are getting smaller 2. ____________________________________, so pandas are losing their home.
Paragraph 3 (Nature parks for pandas) How is the government try to save the pandas? The government is setting up nature parks, and developing other plans.
Paragraph 4 (WWF and animals in danger)
1. The panda is the symbol for the World T Wide Fund for Nature. 2. The panda is the symbol of all animals T in danger everywhere. 3. The WWF is working hard to save tigers, T elephants and any other animals in danger.
Read again and fill in the table.
Research Table for Pandas Habitat(栖息地) Food Amount(数量) Situation
Forests and mountains of Southwest China Bamboo 1600 pandas live in the wild today
Less bamboo. Babies die. Create nature parks.
Read and complete the sentences. 1. Pandas eat bamboo to live. to help pandas 2. Scientists do a lot of research ____________ _______________________________________. produce more babies and help baby pandas live 3. The government is setting up nature parks to protect pandas in the wild _____________________________. to be its symbol 4. The WWF chose the panda ____________ 5. The WWF is working hard to save all the animals ____________________.
Complete the passage.
The panda is ____________________ most in one of the animals danger. Only about 1,600 of them live _____________ in the wild today. They live in __________ a
nd mountains of the forests bamboo Southeast China, and eat __________. But they don’t have enough to eat because the bamboo getting smaller forests are _________________.
The government is trying to _______ panda. save to help pandas It has made a plan _________________. The panda has become ______________ of all the symbol animals in danger. The WWF is working hard ________ tigers, elephants and any other to save
animals in danger.
1. living in the wild是现在分词作定语，相当 于which are living / live in the wild。如： They are visitors coming from several countries. 这些参观者来自几个国家。 The girl standing there is my classmate.
2. research research n. 研究；调查 We all support his scientific research. 我们都支持他的科学研究。 Research indicates that men find it easier to give up smoking than women. 研究表明，男人比女人更容易戒烟。 My research is just bouncing along at present. 目前我的调查进展得很顺利。
He needs to research about the coffee
We should get down to research more
3. produce produce vt.& vi.生产；生育；繁殖 Female sheep produce one or two lambs at a time.
It is certain that we shall produce this
kind of engine.
This shop sells native produce.
Even after harvest, some kinds of produce should be kept apart. 即使收割之后，有些农产品都应分开存放。
produce, product 与 production 用法区别 三者均可表示“产品”，其区别是： 1) produce 主要指农产品，是一个不可数的 集合名词 。如： We need some fresh produce. 我们需要一些新鲜的农产品。 The farmers brought their produce to town early each Saturday morning. 每星期六清早农民们就把农产品运进城。
2) product 主要指工业产品，也可指农产 品，是可数名词 。如： Our car is a product of that factory. 我们的车是那个工厂生产的。 The market sells food products. 这家商店出售食品。 Such farm products are cheap. 那样的农产品不贵。 注：有时用于引申义。如： He saw man as the product of society. 他把人看作是社会的产物。
3) production 通常不表示具体的产品，它主 要指生产这一动作或过程，也可指“产量”, 是不可数名词。如： The company is famous for the production of small cars. 这家公司以生产小型汽车闻名。 注：production 除表示“生产”外，还可指 艺术作品，此时为可数名词。如： The theme of his late prodcutions was life and death. 他晚期作品的主题是生与死。
[Practice] 1. 农产品通过水路运往邻
近各个城市。 The field _______ is transported by water to produce the neighboring cities. 2. 机械、汽车、船只等都是工业产品。 Machinery, cars, ships are all industrial products ________. 3. 要改善人们的生活条件，我们必须首先增 加生产。 To improve the people's living conditions we must first of all increase __________. production
4. develop develop v. 研制，制定 The company develops and markets new software.
It cost a lot of money to develop a product.
develop的基本意思是“发展”, 还有“发 达,进步,开发”等意思。 He developed into a strong leader. 他成长为一名坚强的领导人。 Trade helps industry to develop. 贸易促进工业发展。 I want develop my English. 我想提高我的英语.
feed v. 喂养；饲养, 基本用法： (1) 表示“给某人或动物喂食物”或“用食 物喂某人或动物”，通常用 feed sth to sb 或 feed sb on sth。如： Please feed some grass to the cow. 请给牛喂点草。 She feeds the baby on milk. 她用牛奶喂婴儿。 What do you feed your dog on? 你用什么喂狗?
有时也用 feed sb sth 或 feed sb with sth 这样 的结构，但不很常用。如： He fed the horse (with) potatoes. 他给马喂土豆。 注: 表示为某物提供原料，通常用 feed …with (into) …。如： 传送带向机器传送原料。 正: The moving belt feed the machine with raw material. 正: The moving belt feed raw material into the machine.
(2) feed (up) on 意为“吃”“用……喂”， 主要用于动物。如： Sheep feed mostly on grass. 羊主要吃草。 Owls feed on mice and other small animals. 猫头鹰吃老鼠和其他的小动物。 有时用于引申义。如 Hatred feeds on envy. 因妒生恨。 The public feeds on these periodicals. 公众以这些期刊为精神粮食。
Choose an animal in danger and answer the questions. 1. What is the animal? 2. Where does it live? 3. What does it feed on? 4. Why is it in danger? 5. How difficult is the situation? 6. How can we do to save it?
Work in pairs.
Talking about animals and animal protection Please enjoy a short piece of the film Mountain Patrol (可可西里). It’s about Tibetan antelope being killed by some illegal hunters. So many antelopes have been cruelly killed by the hunters. What do they think of these illegal hunters?
Mountain Patrol 《可可西里》
The answers may be: so cruel; these hunters should be punished. feel sorry for these lovely Tibetan antelopes …
The conclusion: These Tibetan antelopes have lost their lives. In fact, a lot of animals are in danger and their habitats have been destroyed. However, animals are our friends. We should try our best to help endangered animals …
Look at the pictures. What do you think of them? As students, what can we do to help the animals?
Animals are our friends. We should protect
them! To help animals is to help ourselves.
In our lives, many people keep animals as pets. Pets can bring us a lot of pleasure, but also they bring a lot of problems. And what do you think of pets? Write down what you think.
What do you think of keeping pets?
Do you like pets? Do you like keeping pets? Now, more and more people like keeping pets. They think pets are so lovely that they want to play with them. Some people think pets can make people who live himself feel not so lonely. Also, some of the people look pets as their babies.
But, I don’t agree with keeping a pet.
First, the pet is dirty, which can make our
house very uncomfortable. Then, the pet
may cause many diseases for the unhealthy
bacteria on its body. Last, some pets are
dangerous such as dogs. If they hurt people,
it will cause trouble.
1. Read the text and try to retell it. 2. Write an article about an animal in danger according to the research you have made in your group. 3. Design a poster to protect endangered animals.