1. To get further understanding of the poems about pets.
2. To recognize and identify a range of animal features.
3. To use appropriate nouns and verbs when describing the appearance and characteristics of different types of animals.
1. You needn?t get up so early every day.
You __________ ___________ ___________ get up so early every day.
2. There is a table in the centre of the room.
There is a table ____________ ___________ ___________ of the room.
3. At last we all worked out that problem.
____________ ___________ ___________ we all worked out that problem.
4. This little girl was afraid to go out at night.
This little girl was afraid ____________ ___________ out at night.
5. A goldfish doesn?t bark.
A goldfish doesn?t ____________ ___________ ___________ like a dog does.
Step 1 Revision
1. Revise the vocabulary in the poems by giving the definitions.
2. Let Ss answer questions about the poems.
3. Revise the key words phrases and sentences .
(1). My dog is the cleverest animal of all.
eg: He is the tallest of the three.
The boy is the best player in the school team.
(2). With eyes open wide, he hunts when I hide.
eg: Fish sleep with their eyes open.
I opened the door with my knife.
(3). He does wonderful tricks.
eg: Simon lets his little dog do all kinds of tricks.
Don?t try any tricks.
The man can play card tricks
(4). He?d never bark or bite.
eg: He doesn?t like swimming or shopping.
(5). He builds me camps out of sticks.
eg: We can make a kite out of some paper.
(6). Some people are afraid of Eddie.
be afraid of… eg. Kitty is afraid of snakes.
be afraid to do… eg. The little girl is afraid to gout at night.
be afraid that… eg. I?m afraid that I can?t go to your party this evening.
(7). His blue and green feathers look so beautiful in the sun.
look (sound, feel, keep…)
Step 2 Act out the poems
1. Ask students to read the poems loudly together in groups.
2. Then ask some to act it out with feelings.
Step 3 Discussion
Showing pictures about some more pets. Let Ss discuss the pets? lifestyles, including feeding habits, homes, likes and dislikes in groups.
Then ask some to talk about “how to keep a pet” in class.
Step 4 Extension activity
Ask more able students to find any other rhyming pairs from the words learned in other units. Give them a reward for finding one, two or more. This is a very useful pronunciation exercise as well as an activity which prepares students to use language creatively on their own.
1. Ask students to do Part C1 in pairs.
Encourage them to use a dictionary if necessary.
2. Review the answer and clarify any areas of uncertainty.
3. Ask students to do Part C2 on their own. Remind them that all the words can be found in the poem ?My Goldfish?. Ask more able students to do the task without referring the poem. Tell less able students to find the words in the poem to complete what Peter says.
4. Read out the first line. Then ask four students to read out one line each.
5. To do part C3, students will have to refer to the poem ?Cats?. Ask more able students to do the task on their own. Less able students may need help. Provide them with the names of places, and perhaps how many times each preposition is used.
6. Ask more able students where cats sleep based on the poem ?Cats? on page 90. Tell them that they can use any other words apart from ?in?, ?on? and ?on top of?.
Step 5 Assignment
1. Revise what we learned from P90-93 and remember the new words.
2. Writing “My favourite pet”.
3. Do some exercises.
1. The glass is on the e____________ of the table. Put it in the middle.
2. ?All? r_____________ with ?ball?.
3. When you arrive at my home, please ring the d_______________.,
4. If you are in t_____________, please call me for help.
5. Kitty keeps her rabbit in a h______________.
6. I can?t open my ______________（抽屉）. Can you help me?
7. We will have an exam at the _______________（末）of this month.
8. Don?t chase anyone with a _____________（棍子）.
( ) 1. My dog likes to ___________. But he never ____________ me.
A. bark, bark at B. bark, barks at C. barking, bark D. bark at, barks
( ) 2. __________ pull the cat?s tail. It will be angry.
A. You don?t B. Can?t C. You shouldn?t D. Don?t
( ) 3. ?Lend? rhymes _____________ ?end?.
A. with B. to C. for D. about
( ) 4. Please _____________ the doorbell before you come into a house.
A. do B. call C. ring D. knock
( ) 5. ___________ the middle of the park, there is a boat.
A. On B. At C. In D. For
( ) 6. ___________, my sister is very quiet.
A. Most of time B. Most the time C. The most time D. Most of the time
( ) 7. __________ wonderful my goldfish is!
A. What B. How C. What a D. How a
( ) 8. You ___________ play football in the busy street.
A. should B. must C. may not D. mustn?t
1. My goldfish doesn?t miaow. She only ____________ (bubble).
2. His dog likes ____________ (bite) things.
3. I tried _____________ (hide) myself but he found me at last.
4. The worker _____________ (build) this hospital last year.
5. The students will go _____________ (camp) this Sunday.
6. I like _____________ (watch) my dog ____________ (play) with the ball.
Lots of families in England have one or two pets. Dogs are their favourite pets and there are 6,000,000 of them in England. The second favourite are cats (about 5,000,000) and the third favourite is a bird—the budgie（虎皮鹦鹉）. There are more tan 12,000,000 pets in England. The English people look after their pets. They give them nice names: Rover, Rex, Cindy, Misty (for dogs); Albert, Snowy, Fluffy, Tom (for cats); Guy, Scamper, Shipley (for monkeys). When they speak of their pets, they say ?He?, ?She?, not ?It?.
The English people give their pets nice food to eat. They buy food for their pets in pet shops. The English people are pets? lovers!
( ) 1. ____________ are the second favourite pets in England.
A. Budgies B. Dogs C. Cats D. Monkeys
( ) 2. The English people give their pets __________ and __________.
A. houses, nice names B. food, houses
C. nice names, nice food D. pet shops, pet food
( ) 3. The word ?keep? in the passage means ____________.
A. 保存 B. 留宿 C. 喜欢 D. 饲养
( ) 4. What?s the best title for the passage?
A. Pets in England B. Families in England
C. How to keep pets D. The English people