河南省南乐县张果屯乡中学八年级英语下册Unit 7《Would you mind
turning down the music》Period 1 人教新目标版
1. Learn to make requests and apologize politely
2. Learn to deal with the problems in our life in a polite way
1. T: Do you like listening to music?
2. If someone play the music very loudly, how do you feel?
What will you say to the person?
3. To elicit the following sentences:
Please turn down the music. / Can you turn down the music? / Would you turn down the music?
T: Yes, you are right. Can we express our requests more politely? Please look
at the picture on the big screen and tell what then woman’s problem is. Step2 Listening
1. Let’s listen to the tape to see how the woman talks to her neighbor.
2. Summarize the sentences in the conversation:
Would you mind doing sth./ not doing sth.?
No, not at all. I’ll do it right away.
Of course not.
I’m sorry. I’ll do it right away.
3. Ask the students to make small conversations to practice the sentences.
T: Well, we can see that being polite is very important to keep good relationship with your neighbors. Do you think it also important among family members. Think of yourself, please. If your parents ask you not to play computer games, what do they usually say?
4. T: I think the children in the following conversations are lucky because their
parents are very kind when talking to them.
5. Listen to five conversations between the children and their parents. And fill in the blanks with the words that you hear.
6. Show the conversations on the big screen and ask volunteers to fill in the blanks. Step3 Speaking
1. Practice the sentence pattern according to the pictures. (4 pictures)
2. T: Keeping good manners is very necessary, no matter where you are, at school,
in the street, at home or in public. (Show four pictures at the same time) Please work in pairs and choose one of the occasions to make a conversation. Try to use more polite expressions in your conversations.
3. Ask three pairs to show their conversations.
Step4 Further practice
1. T: You did a very good job. Now would you mind doing me a favor? I got an e-mail
from my friend Michael and it seemed that he met some problem and he needed my help. Let’s read his e-mail first.
2. Ask the students to tell what Michael’s problem is and if they have some good
ideas to solve the problem.
3. To elicit three ways of solving Michael’s problem: a. talk to his neighbor face
to face; b. talk to his neighbor on the phone; leave a note on his neighbor’s door.
4. Group work: The students are going to work in groups. Suppose one of them is
Michael. He will choose one of the ways to solve his problem. Then the group will show us how they work it out.
5. Ask three groups to act out their conversations.
Step5 Summary and homework
1. T: All of you are good at solving problems. How can you have so many good ideas? Actually, you got the key to get on well with others. And the key is hiding in these words. Let’s work out the key. Choose one of the words and make a sentence. For example, open – When we meet a problem, we should open our heart and open our mouth.
2. The words available: conversation, open, manner, method, understand, no complaint, 2
improve, care, active, think, equal. The key is : communicate.
3. Communicating is the key to get on well with others in any interpersonal relationship. I hope you make better use of the key in the future.
4. Homework: ①Please write a letter to your father and make requests for his health.
②Try to find out more polite expressions in English and write them