Module 9 Population
The population of China is about 1.37 billion.
Talk about the pictures and try to describe
Check (√) the statements you agree with.
1. There are too many people in the world. (
2. The increasing population is the biggest problem in the world. ( )
3. People shouldn’t have too many babies. (
4. People should be free to decide how many babies they
want. ( )
5. Countries with large populations should take more
responsibilities to protect the environment. ( )
6. A city should not hold more than 1,000,000 people. ( Now work in groups and discuss your answers. )
?noise ?prepare ?噪声，杂音 ?准备；预备 ?笔记；随笔 ?报告，汇报
?report ?huge ?increase ?problem
?出生 ?十亿 ?增长，增大
1. Work in pairs. Look at the picture and talk about it. Use the words in the box to help you. noise people space traffic
2. Listen and choose the correct answer.
1. What’s the population of Beijing?
a) About 11 million.
b)About 13 million.
c) About 20 million.
2. What’s the population of Chongqing?
a) About 28 million.
b)About 33 million.
c) About 36 million.
3.Now complete the notes.
Babies born every minute（world）
Babies born every year （world） Population of China
Over 131.4 million. About 1.37 billion. About 7 billion.
Population of the world
4. Choose the correct answer. 1. Birth happens at the start / at the end of life.
2. Huge means large / small.
3. An increase in population means more / fewer people.
4. Hang on a minute means wait for a short time / a long time.
5. Making notes means writing a long passage / a few words. 6. A problem is something easy / difficult.
7. A report is a long piece of writing / a few words.
8. A billion is a hundred / a thousand million.
1.a report called 2.so many/much 3.one fifth of 一个叫??的报告 如此多 五分之一 记笔记 稍等 谈论 写下，记下 在将来
8.in the future
1.population n. 人口
1) population 是一个集体名词，作主语时，若指一个
The population of the city is about 20,000.
Three fifths of the population here are old people.
2) 表示一个地区或一个国家有多少人口时，可用 the population of ... is ... 或 ... has a population of ...。例如： The population of our country is 28,100,000.
The city has a population of 50,000.
形容“人口数量的多或少”可用large 或 small 修饰。
The population of Beijing is la
3) 在询问人口时，要注意 population 和 people 的区 别。前者通常用what来提问，后者用how many 来提 问。例如： What’s the population of Canada?
How many people are there in the hall?
大厅里有多少人？ 2. Beijing is a huge city with a big population.
150,000: one hundred and fifty thousand 500,000: five hundred thousand 2,100,000: two million, one hundred thousand 5,600,000: five million, six hundred thousand 82,550,000: eighty-two million, five hundred and fifty thousand 200,030,040: two hundred million, thirty thousand and forty
1.Mina lives in a village _____________ green mountains and clear rivers around. A. on B. with C. for D. as 2.— Excuse me, ____________ Beijing? — About 13,000,000. A. what’s the population of
B. how many is the population of
C. do you know a number of people of
D. how much is the population of
3.The number 22,135 reads _______. A. twenty-two thousands one hundred and thirty-five B. twenty-two thousand one hundred and thirty-five
C. twenty-two thousands one hundred thirty-five
D. twenty two thousand one hundred thirty-five 4.Population is ____ big problem for cities.
Write a passage about how to reduce
the population of our nation.
Between friends all is common.