Module 9 Population
Unit 3 Language in use
1.Beijing is a huge city.
2.It takes an hour to get there by bus. 3.That’s almost one fifth of the world’s population.
4.That makes over 131.4 million births a year.
1. 不定冠词 a / an的用法：
1) a 用以辅音音素开头的单词前，an 用以元音音素开头
a book, a table, an elephant, an orange
2) 表示数量“一”，意思与“one”接近，但数的概念没 有one强。例如： The little girl played a whole day outside. 这个小女孩在外面玩了一整天。
A teacher from England will teach us English. 一位来自英格兰的教师将教我们英语。
4) 用于可数名词的单数前，表示一类人或物。 A tiger is very dangerous. 老虎很危险。 5) 表示某类人或事物当中的任何一个，相当于one。 泛指人或事物的类别。例如： He is a ball player. 他是一位棒球手。 6) 表示“每一个”，相当于every。用在表示时间， 速度，价格的名词前。 You should take this medicine three times a day. 你应该每天服三次药。 7) 表示 “某一” 。 A Mr. Wang is waiting for you. 一位姓王的先生在等你。
2. 定冠词 the 的用法:
The book is mine. 这本书是我的 。
2) 表示上文提到的或说话双方都知道的人或物。 例如： I heard a report. The report was about war. 我听了一个报告，这个报告是关于战争的。 Please close the window before you fall asleep. 请在睡觉之前关上窗子。
3) 用于序数词、形容词最高级以及对两者进行比较时 起特定作用的比较级前。例如： Our classroom is on the second floor. It’s the most interesting book I have read. I have two sisters. The elder one is a doctor. 4) 世界上独一无二的事物前常用the。例如：The moon goes round the earth. 5) 在姓的复数形式前加the，表示一家人或夫妇二人。 例如： the Greens 格林一家人或格林夫妇。 6) 用于某些形容词前表示一类人或事物。 the rich, the poor, the old
7) 用于江河、山脉、湖泊、岛屿、杂志和报纸等专有 名词前。例如： the Changjiang River, the Great Wall,
the Summer Palace
the United States
9) 用于乐器名称前。例如： play the piano / violin 10) 用于固定短语中。例如： at the moment, by the way, in the middle of
3. 零冠词的用法 一般来说，在一个句子中有时不加冠词，如 We go to school by bus.
Horses are useful animals.
There are pens and books on the desk.
词所有格等修饰时。例如： She is our math teacher. The man in blue is Mary’s father. No one can get this book. 3) 交通工具、学科名词前。 by boat, on foot I like chemistry. 4) 球类运动、棋类游戏及语言名称前。 He prefers to play football. The two old men are playing chess. Can you speak English?
in spring, on Monday Children’s Day is coming. I ate some noodles for lunch. 6) 某些固定搭配的词组。
in public; go to bed
1. Work in pairs. Match the countries with their populations. 1.Australia 2.New Zealand a)1,370,537,000
4. the US
4. Complete the passage with a, an or the where necessary. Mina is (1)____ eighteen-year-old girl. She has got (2)___ an a brother and (3)____ sister. Mina is (4)____ oldest child a the
in (5)___ family. She lives in (6)___ very big city. She the a
has (7)____ job in (8)____ hotel. She hopes that one day a a she will have (9)___ chance to go to (10)______ college. the /
5. Complete the sentences with the correct form of the words in the box. few good much small 1.We believe the schools in Arnwick are very good, and better we’re working to make them even _____. 2.Their flat is too large for two people. They want to find a smaller one. ______ 3.Anna always talks about her ideas. I think she needs to listen _____. more 4.There are a lot of parks in this city. I think there are fewer _____ parks in a lot of other cities.
7.Complete the passage with the words in the box.
countryside pollution population space traffic Our world is facing many problems. Two of the
biggest are the increasing population and pollution.
The (1)__________ of the world is increasing quickly. population
Why is this happening? Because more babies are born
every year and people also live longer. Many people are
countryside leaving the (2)___________ to work in the cities, but there is not enough (3)_____ for so many people. space
Another huge problem for the world is pollution traffic (4)_________. There’s so much (5)______ on the roads that in some cities the air is heavily polluted. We must work harder to protect our world.
12. Work in groups. Prepare to make your graph. ·Choose a country or town which interests you. It
could be your home town.
· Decide the time you want to look at—for example,
now, ten years ago and ten years from now.
· Research the population of your place in those years. Write your notes carefully.
13. Make your graph.
· Decide how you want to make your graph.
· Draw it and colour it. You can also make it on the computer. · Label it clearly.
用不定冠词a/an, 定冠词the或“/”填空 1. I found _____ book on the floor. I think _____ book is a the Jenny’s.
2. _____ Sun is much bigger than _____ Earth. the The
3. Lucy is _____ most careful student in my class. the
4. _____ Greens are watching TV now. The
5. _____ or
ange is orange. An the 6. We’ll go to _____ Great Wall next week.
Write a paragraph to describe your city.
All things are difficult before they are easy. 凡事总是由难而易。