Do you want to watch a game show?
?Do you like watching movies?
?Do you know the kinds of movies? Which kind do you
like best? Why ?
The kinds of the movies:
['k?m?d? ] 喜剧
Scary movie 恐怖片
Other kinds of movies:
science fiction 科幻电影
documentary 纪录片 [d?kju'ment?r?]
war movie 战争片
Beijing opera 京剧
1a What do you think of these TV shows and movies? Choose words from the box and write them under the pictures. educational relaxing exciting serious boring wonderful
soap opera boring _________
game show __________ enjoyable
talk show educational ________
sports show exciting —————
News serious _____
comedy relaxing _________
cartoon __________ enjoyable
talent show educational ________
action movie exciting —————
scary movie _____ meaningless
1b Listen and circle the description words you hear in the box in 1a.
educational relaxing exciting
1c Listen again. Write down the words John and Mary use to describe the TV shows or movies. John Action movies exciting Scary movie Game shows exciting Mary
meaningless relaxing relaxing wonderful
boring boring enjoyable
1d Tell your partner what John and Mary like to watch and why. Then tell your partner what you like to watch and why.
John wants to watch talk shows
because they’re enjoyable. Ilike
to watch action movies because they’re exciting.
2a Discuss the following questions with a partner. 1.Do you like to watch cartoons?
2.What is your favorite cartoon?
3.Why do you like it?
2b Read the passage and complete the time line on the next page.
When people say “culture”, we think of art and history. But one very famous symbol in American culture is a cartoon. We all know and love the black mouse with two large round ears-Mickey Mouse. Over 80 years ago, he first appeared in the cartoon Steamboat Willie.
When this cartoon came out in New York
on November 18, 1928, it was the first
cartoon with sound and music. The man
behind Mickey was Walt Disney. He
became very rich and successful. In the
1930s, he made 87 cartoons with Mickey.
Some people might ask how this cartoon animal became so popular. One of the main reasons is that Mickey was like a common man, but he always tried to face any danger. In his early films, Mickey was unlucky and had many problems such as losing his house or girlfriend, Minnie. However, he was always ready to try his best. People went to the cinema to see the “little man” win. Most of them wanted to be like Mickey.
On November 18, 1978, Mickey became the first cartoon character to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Today’s cartoons are usually not so simple as little Mickey Mouse, but everyone still knows and loves
him. Who has a pair of ears more famous t
Steamboat Willie came out in New York
he made 87 cartoons with Mickey.
Mickey became the first cartoon character to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
Over 80 years ago
November 18, 1978
2c Read the passage again and fill in the facts about Mickey.
What does he look like? Who created him? What was his first cartoon? A black mouse with two large round ears-Mickey Walt Disney Steamboat Willie Minnie Why is he popular? Mickey was like a common man, but he always tried to face any danger.
Who is his girlfriend?
2d Read the passage again and discuss the questions with a partner. 1. What is Mickey Mouse a symbol of? What cartoon character is a symbol of Chinese culture?
American culture. Ne Zha.
2. Do you think Walt Disney is a smart man? Why or why not? Do you want to be like him? Yes , I think so . Because his cartoon is famous all over the world. Yes ,I do.
3. Why did people want to be like Mickey? Do you want to be like Mickey? Why or why not?
Because it is like a common man, but he always tried to face any danger. Yes , I do. Because I want to try my best to live.
4. Can you think of another cartoon character that is as famous as Mickey? Why is the character popular?
Su Wukong. Because he can face every
problem in his life and win at last.
2e Underline the following phrases in the passage. Write your own sentences or questions using the phrases.
think of come out one of the main reasons such as was ready to more than just
3a Fill in the blanks in the movie review. Use the words in the box to help you.
fantastic shows action comes from played like exciting
want about plan
Mulan is an exciting action movie. It ___________ an old Chinese story. The movie comes from is about a village girl, Mulan. She dresses up like a boy and takes her father’s place to fight in the army.
played I think the actress _____________ Mulan’s role well. The other actors are also fantastic and they did a good job in the movie. I like Mulan very much. The movie shows her love for her family, friends and country. If you plan to watch a movie this weekend and you want to see something enjoyable, choose Mulan!
3b Write notes for your own movie review.
The name of the movie:___________
The kind of movie:___________
What the movie is about:___________ What you think of the movie / stars:___________
4 What do you and your partner think of these TV shows or movies? Write description words for each one. me My partner
Soap operas Talent shows News Sports shows Game shows Talk shows Comedies Scary movies Action movies Cartoons
1.I like to find out what different people think
about a subject.
此句中的“ find out” 用作及物动词短语，
Please find out when the train leaves.
等近义词还有“ look for ,
e.g. What are you looking for? 你在找什么？ （强调找的过程） 2) find vt. “找” 强调找的结果。 e.g. I looked for my book everywhere, but I didn’t find it. (结果是没找到）
1）look for “寻找”指有目的地找。强调“寻找”
2. What is your favorite cartoon? 你最喜欢的卡通片是什么？ “ what’ s your favorite…? 是用来询问对方 最喜爱事物是什么。其同义句为“ what… do you like best? 回答用: My favorite book is … 或是 I like …best. e.g. --what’s your favorite book? = what book do you like best? -- My favorite book is Snow White. 或是 I like Snow White best.
3. When people say “culture”, we think of art and history. 当人们提起文化时，我们就 会想到艺术和历史。 think of 有考虑；想起；有…想法；对…有 意见 等意思。在该句中应理解为“ 想起， 想到”。例如： Does the poem make you think of spring? 这首诗有没有让你想到春天？ How many stars can you think of? 你能想到多少明星？
4. When this cartoon came out in New York on November 18, 1928, it was the first cartoon with sound and music. 当这部动画片于1928 年11月18 问世于纽约 时，它成为第一部带有音乐的动画片。 “ come out” 在本句中译为“ 出版” 引申为 “ 问世”。此外还有：出来，（花）开出来之意。 e.g. The book comes out this week. 该书本周上市。 Oh, look! The sun's coming out! 噢，看！太阳出来啦！
5. One of the main reasons is that Mickey was like a common man, but he always tried to face any danger. 一个主要原因是米奇看似一个普通人，但 他总是尝试应对任何危险。 one of …后跟可数名词复数，表示…之一。 其后的谓语动词用单数。 e.g. One of my favorite movies is Mr. Bean. 我最喜欢的电影之一是憨豆先生。 One of my best friends is Ann. 安是我最好的朋友之一。
6. However, he was always ready to try his best. 然而， 他总是做好尽全力的准备。 1) be ready to do sth 准备做某事 get ready to do sth 与之同义，但前者强 调状态，后者强调动作。 e.g. Are you ready to start? 你准备好了吗？ Please get ready to start. 请作好开始的准备。
2) Try one’s best 尽某人最大的努力
其后跟动词不定式形式，即： try one’s best
to do sth.
e.g. Don't give up. Just try your best.
Come on！Just try your best to let your dream come true. 加油！尽最大的努力去实现你的梦想吧。
7. People went to the cinema to see the “little man” win.
人们去电影院是为了看这个“ 小人儿” 赢。
go to the cinema 也可译为“ 看电影”类似
go to movies
go to a movie
go to see a movie.
a movie an action movie Go to a comedy a documentary a thriller
a movie an action mo
vie a comedy a documentary a thriller
8. Today’s cartoons are usually not so simple as little Mickey Mouse.
此句中not so… as 结构表示“ 不像……那
It wasn’t so good as last time.
It is not so easy as you’d think.
9. She dresses up like a boy and takes her father’s place to fight in the army. 她女扮男装，替父上战场打仗。 1） dress up “盛装打扮、乔装打扮”。 e.g. I’d like you to dress up for my birthday party tonight. 今晚我希望你为我的生日派对打扮打扮。 Young kids often dress up and have fun at Halloween. 万圣节前夜，小孩子通常都 乔装打扮，玩得很开心。
2）take one’s place 取代某人的位置，顶替。 e.g. Nam believes that no one can take
Kin's place in her heart.
10. They did a good job in the movie. 他们在电影中表演出色。 do a good job 好好干；干得好; 干得出色 e.g. I'm sure you can do a better job next time. 我相信你下次会干得更好。 You've done a good job of it. 你干得太漂亮了!
1. Cheng Long is a f ________ movie star. amous
2. My grandfather likes Beijing O _______ pera
3. I have a lot of work today. I’m very b usy _____.
4. My classmates often help me. They are
f ________ to me. riendly
5. The story is very i nteresting ________.The children like
6. What movie do you like best? My f avorite ______ movie is Titanic.
7. Where’s my key? I can’t f ________ it. ind
8. Speed is a very successful action movie. I
think it’s e ________. xciting
9. Xu Beihong（徐悲鸿） is a Chinese
a ________. ctor
10. I think thrillers are s ________. I don’t cary
want to see them.
1. 你喜欢什么样的电影? 喜剧。 What ____ of ________ do you like? kind movies I like comedies. 2. 他不喜欢京剧, 因为京剧太没意思了。 doesn’t He ______ like Beijing Opera, it boring because ___ is very _______.
3. 他是我最喜欢的演员, 我认为他很 出色。 He is my _______ actor. I ______ he favorite think great is ______. 4. 她认为喜剧很有趣, 所以经常和朋友 去看喜剧。 thinks She ________ comedies are very funny often goes ______, so she _____ ______ to see with comedies ______ her friends.
三．单项选择 1. What do you ________ do? B A. want B. want to C. like D. to like 2. My grandfather ________ stay ________ home C and watch TV. A. like, at B. like, in C. likes to, at D. likes to, in 3．________ kind of movies ________ Lucy like? A A．What, does B．What, do C．What’s, does D．Which, do
4．________ a word, we can learn a lot B ________ Chinese history.
A．For, for C．For, about B．In, about D．In, for
5. Gina likes ac
tion movies, ________ she doesn’t D
A．nineth C．the nineth
B．ninth D．the ninth
D 6. September is ________ month of the year.
7．I don’t like action movies. I think they’re ________. A A．boring C．interesting A．well B．difficult D．exciting B．thriller
8．— How is the new movie? — It is ________. D
1. Write your movie review using the notes in 3b. 2. Make a survey and then make a report.
S1 action movies comedies Cartoons Scary movies Beijing Opera S2 Why
3. Write a movie review about your favorite movie.