1. It took the workmen only two hours to finish ________ my car.
A. repairing B. repair C. to repair D. repaired
2. It's no good _______ over split milk.
A. to cry B. crying C. cried D. cry
3. Have you forgotten ___________$1000 from me last month? Will you please remember _________ it tomorrow?
A. borrowing; to bring B. to borrow; bring
C. borrowed; bringing D. borrowing; bringing
4. The classroom wants __________.
A. clean B. cleaned C. to clean D. cleaning
5. Jack said that he wouldn't mind ___________ for us.
A. o wait B. wait C. waiting D. waited
6. My brother keeps _________ me with my work.
A. to help B. help C. helping D. helped
7. We should often practise _________ English with each other.
A. to speak B. spoke C. speak D. speaking
8. Keep on _________ and you will succeed.
A. a try B. try C. triing D. trying
9. Don’t forget ______ the notebook with you when you go to the lecture.
A. to take B. to carry C. to send D. to bring
10. You’d better ________ her, it would only worry her.
A. not tell B. tell C. to tell D. not to tell
11. The librarian work is ________ the books in the library.
A. takes care of B. take care of
C. to take care of D. taking care of
12. Her parent’s won’t let her ________ out with her boyfriend.
A. goes B. to go C. going D. go
13. I asked her _______ with us.
A. when to go B. when he will go
C. if he will go D. that he would go
14. I have not got a chair ________.
A. for sitting B. to sit on C. to sit D. for sitting on
15. My mother often tells me ________ in the sun
A. not to read B. don’t read C. doesn’t read D. not read
16____ makes this shop different is that it offers more personal services.
A. What B. Who C. Whatever D. Whoever
17 ____ fashion differs from country to country may reflect the cultural differences from one aspect.
A. What B. That C. This D. Which
18 ____ we’ll go camping tomorrow depends on the weather.
A. If B. Whether C. That D. Where
19 It is pretty well understood ____ controls the flow of carbon dioxide in and out the atmosphere today.
A. that B. when C. what D. how
20 It worried her a bit ____ her hair was turning gray.
A. while B. that C. if D. for
1. ____of the twins was arrested, because I saw both at a party last night.
A. None B. Both C. Neither D. All
2. ____ native to America , the plant now can be seen all around the world.
A. Although B. Since C. Despite D. Because
3 ____dull ha may be, he is certainly a very successful top executive.
A. Although B. Whatever C. As D. However
4．The couple had no sooner got to the station ____ the coach left.
A. when B. as C. until D. than
5. It is going to be fine tomorrow____.
A. So is it. B. So it is C. So it does D. So does it
6.The person he interviewed was ____ his former schoolmate.
A. no other than B. no more than
C. none other than D. none the less
7. There are as good fish in the sea ____ ever came out of it.
A. than B. like C. as D. so
8. Overpopulation poses a terrible threat to the human race. Yet it is
probably ____ a threat to the human race than environmental destruction.
A. no more B. not more C. even more D. much more
9. The medical experts warned the authorities of the danger of diseases in the ____of the earthquake.
A. consequence B. aftermath C. result D. effect
10. I must leave now____, if you want that book I’ll bring it next time.
A. Accidentally B. Incidentally C. Eventually D. Naturally
11. Nine is to three____ three is to one.
A. when B. that C. which D. what
12.____ he wanted to go out with his friends at the weekend, he had to stay behind to finish his assignment.
A. Much though B. Much as C. As much D. Though much
13. Not only the students but also the teacher____ invited.
A. are B. were C. was
14. –I don’t like chicken ____fish.
--I don’t like chicken, ____ I like fish very much.
A. and; and B. and; but C. or; but D. or; and
15.---Would you like to come to dinner tonight?
----I’d like to, ____I’m too busy.
A. and B. so C. as D. but
16. They sat down and talk about something.
17. I saw two men sitting behind and whisper there.
18. Neither you nor he are to blame.
19. We will die without air and water.
20. We can’t live without air or water.
1. Don’t talk about such things of __________ you are not sure.
A. which B. what C. as D. those
2. Is this the factory __________ you visited the other day?
A. that B. where C. in which D. the one
3. Is this factory __________ some foreign friends visited last Friday?
A. that B. where C. which D. the one
4. Is this the factory __________ he worked ten years ago?
A. that B. where C. which D. the one
5. The wolves hid themselves in the places _________ couldn’t be found.
A. that B. where C. in which D. in that
6. The freezing point is the temperature ________ water changes into ice.
A. at which B. on that C. in which D. of what
7. This book will show you __________ can be used in other contexts.
A. how you have observed
C. that you have observed B. what you have observed D. how that you have observed
8. The reason is __________ he is unable to operate the machine.
A. because B. why C. that D. whether
9. I’ll tell you __________ he told me last week.
A. all which B. that C. all that D. which
10. That tree, __________ branches are almost bare, is very old.
A. whose B. of which C. in which D. on which
11. I have bought the same dress __________ she is wearing.
A. as B. that C. which D. what
12. He failed in the examination, __________ made his father very angry.
A. which B. it C. that D. what
13. We’re talking about the piano and the pianist ____ were in the concert we attended last night. A. which B. whom C. who D. that
14. The girl _________ an English song in the next room is Tom’s sister.
A. who is singing B. is singing C. sang D. was singing
15. Those ___not only from books but also through practice will succeed.
A. learn B. who C. that learns D. who learn
16. Anyone __________ this opinion may speak out.
A. that againsts
B. that against D. who are against C. who is against
17. Didn’t you see the man __________?
A. I nodded just now B. whom I nodded just now
D. I nodded to just now C. I nodded to him just now
18. Can you lend me the novel __________ the other day?
A. that you talked B. you talked about it
D. you talked about C. which you talked with
19. Is there anything __________ to you?
A. that is belonged
C. that belong B. that belongs D. which belongs
20. ---- ―How do you like the book?‖
---- ―It’s quite different from __________ I read last month.‖
A. that B. which C. the one D. the one what
I. There are twelve sentences in this section. Beneath each sentence there are four words or phrases marked A, B, C, D. Choose one word or phrases that best completes the sentence.
1. Mr. More has more money than Mr. Little. But he doesn’t enjoy _______. A. he B. him C. his D. himself
2. Lily was 9 years old. _____ was old enough to go to school ________.
A. She, she B. She, herself C. Her, herself D. Her, she
3. Jim ’ s watch is much newer than _________.
A. hers B. she C. her D. herself
4. Would you like _____for supper?
A. something Chinese B. Chinese something
C. anything Chinese D. Chinese anything
5.______ piano is too old, but she still liked playing it.
A. She B. She ’ s C. Hers D. Her
6. Who taught you English last year? Nobody taught me . I taught ____.
A. me B. myself C. mine D. I
7. That bike is _______? A. he B. him C. his D. it
8. We bought ______ a present, but _______ didn’t like it.
A. they, them B. them , they
C. themselves , their D. theirs, they
9. Above the trees are the hills_____ magnificence the river faithfully reflects on the surface.
A. where B. of whose C. whose D. which
10. Children who stay away from school do_____ for different reasons.
A. them B. / C. it D. theirs
11. ____ are you talking about?
A. Who’s B. Which’s C. Whom D.? What’s?
12. The detective thought the guilty party to be____ because I had the strongest motive.
A. mine B. I C. me D. myself
II. Complete the following sentences with Possessive Pronoun or Reflexive Pronoun.
13. You have your tickets; we lost____.
14. I’ll do my work and you_____.
15. You are really a singer! We were absorbed in that song of_ last night.
16. This machine works______.
17. I like the diamond____ but not the setting.
18. You must put____ together.
19.They quarreled______ red in the face.
20. The girl will be_____ in no time.
A. Correct the following sentences.
1. All these years they are contributing articles to our magazine.
2. I have been drinking five cups of coffee this afternoon.
3. What have you been doing before you left Oxford?
4. It's a good job. Have you done it all by yourself?
5. It's a long time since you come to see me.
6. Alice didn't see much of Henry lately.
7. I'm glad to tell you that you passed the exam.
B. Complete the following sentences with the right form of the verbs given.
8. You know, I ________ (look) for a job for three months, and this is my first formal interview.
9. My sister ________ (stay) in Beijing for three months last year.
10. The little boy is dirty all over because he ________ (play) in the mud all the morning.
11. I ________ (wonder) if you were free this afternoon.
12 Here he is! We ________ (wait) anxiously for him since last night.
C. Make the best choices.
13. — I’m sure Andrew will win the first prize in the final.
— I think so. He ________ for it for months.
A. is preparing B. was preparing
C. had been preparing D. has been preparing
14. By the time he realizes he _________ into a trap, it’ll be too late for him to do anything about it.
A. walks B. walked C. has walked D. had walked
15. So far this year we _______ a fall in house prices by between 5 and 10 percent.
A. saw B. see C. had seen D. have seen
16. Cathy is taking notes of the grammatical rules in class at Sunshine School, where she ______ English for a year.
A. studies B. studied C. is studying D. has been studying
17. Danny _________ hard for long to realize his dream and now he is popular.
A. works B. is working C. has worked D. had worked
18. —I have got a headache.
—No wonder. You _________ in front of that computer too long.
A. work B. are working C. have been working D. worked
19. The unemployment rate in this district_______ from 6% to 5% in the past two years.
A. has fallen B. had fallen C. is falling D. was falling
20. Now that she is out of job, Lucy ___ going back to school，but she hasn’t decided yet.
A. had considered B. has been considering
C. considered D. is going to consider
Choose the best answer from the four choices.
1. Now air in our town is ___ than it used to be. Something must be done to it.A. very good B. much better C. rather than D. even worse
2. This book is _______ on the subject .
A. the much best B. much the best
C. very much best D. very the best
3. The population of Shandong is_______ than that of Sichuan.
A. bigger B. larger C. less D. more
4. What animal do like _________? I like all kinds of animals.
A. better B. best C. very D. most
5. Which is __ season in Beijing? I think it’s spring.
A. good B. well C. best D. the best
6. It's easier _____ than ________.
A. say, do B. to say, to do C. says, does D. saying, doing
7. Children had found___ interesting to play computer games.
A. that B. which C. it D. it’s
8. Does _______ matter if he can’t finish the job on time?
A. this B. that C. he D. it
9. It took the workmen only two hours to finish ________ my car.
A. repairing B. repair C. to repair D. repaired
10. _______ is a fact that English is being accepted as an international language.
A. There B. This C. That D. It
11. I hate _______ when people talk with their mouths full.
A. it B. that C. these D. them
12. _______ happened _______ he is unfit for the office.
A. This; that B. That; that C. It; that D. He; that
13. _______ that the scientist will give us a talk next month?
A. Is true B. Is it true C. It’s true D. It’s truly
14. _______ is going to America for further study.
A. He is said that B. People said that he C. It was said that he D. It is said that he
15. She liked _______ when he kissed her.
A. him B. that C. one D. it
16. I’d appreciate ________ if you would like to teach me how to use the computer.
A. that B. it C. this D. you
17. It’s very kind ___ you ______ me..
A. for, helping B. of ,help C. for, to help D. of, to help
18. —What do you think of the book？
-Oh, excellent．It's worth ________a second time.
A. to read B. to be read C. reading D. being read
19. It’s no use _______forward to__________ from her soon.
A. to look; to hear B. looking; hearing
C. looking; hear D. look; hear
20. They are good friends. _______ is no wonder that they know each other so well.
A. This B. That C. There D. It
1.-I'd like to go shopping with you, but I have a meeting_______. -If you don't go_______.
A. to attend；nor will I B. to attend；so do I
C. attending；so will I D. attend；neither will I
2. The pressure _________ causes Americans to be energetic，but it also put them under a constant emotional strain.
A. to compete B. competing
C. to be competed D. competed
3. If the building project _____ by the end of this month is delayed, the construction company will be fined.
A. being completed B. is completed
C. to be completed D. completed
4. He gives people the impression _____ all his life abroad.
A. of having spent B. to have spent
C. of being spent D. to spend
5. The opportunity ____in a prestigious corporation is a dream for the graduates nowadays in many countries.
A. to work B. working C. worked D. to be working
6. If the task _______ by the end of this year is delayed, the company will be under punishment.
A. being completed B. is completed
C. to be completed C. completed
7. The teacher doesn’t permit _____ in class.
A. smoke B. to smoke
C. smoking D. to have a smoke
8. Not every book ______ educative.（be）
9.What he did _______ not quite proper. （be）
10. As far as I know ,the Central Building is _______ by the end of this month.(build)
11. Not all bamboo ________ tall. (grow)
12 He is the last guest __________________.(arrive)
13 Let me make sure if you have the power _________（make the deal） 14This is the best book subject ___________ this year.(publish) 15 There is no time______________.(lose)
1._____every body says the film Avatar is very good, I think I’ll go and see it.
A. Since B. because C. so D. as is coming.
A. Since B. so C. because D. as
3. The party was _____ great____ nobody would be able to sleep.
4. My brother coughed a lot last night. _______________ , he decided to go to see the doctor.
5. The new album of Jackson sounds wonderful, _____I am thinking of buy it.
6.____ so many students ill, the teacher has decided to cancel the class.
7. The film is very boring_____ there are only a few inglorious actors in it.
8. Fun got to be ______ a big thing ____ everybody started to look for more and more thrilling.
9.________ repeated failures, he is very depressed.
10. He locked his door, ____ making sure that no one would came in.
11. They ______can do nothing good of themselves.
12.____ you are so sure of it he'll believe you.
13. Everyone lent a hand, _____the work was finished ahead of schedule.
14. I'm pretty angry with you____ not telling me.
15. I will give you all the facts _____you can judge for yourself.
16. I gave you a map____ you wouldn't get lost.
17. I came back ______the rain.
18. I study____ I want to learn.
19. Delegates were delighted, ______better protection of rhino reserves will help protect other rare species.
20. His request is unreasonable _______he knows we can't afford it.
1. They are going to have the serviceman __________ an electric fan in the office tomorrow.
A. install B. to install C. to be installed D. installed
2. There is a man at the reception desk who seems very angry and I think he means _________ trouble.
A. making B. to make C. to have made D. having made
3. I'd rather read than watch television; the programs seem __________ all the time.
A. to get worse B. to be getting worse
C. to have got worse D. getting worse
4. Could you find someone________？
A. for me to play tennis with B. for me to play tennis
C play tennis with D. playing tennis
5. The pressure ________causes Americans to be energetic, but it also puts them under a constant emotional strain.
A. to compete B. competing
C. to be competed D. having competed
6. You will want two trees about ten feet apart, from _____ to suspend your tent.
A. there B. them C. which D. where
7.________ a teacher in a university, it is necessary to have at least a master's degree.
A. To become B. Become
C. One becomes D. On becoming
8. That was so serious a matter that I had no choice but ____ the police.
A. called in B. calling in C. call in D. to call in
9. Sir Denis, who is 78, has made it known that much of his collection ______ to the nation.
A. has left B. is to leave C. leaves D. is to be left
10. It is not unusual for workers in that region _________.
A to be paid more than a month later
B to be paid later than more a month
C. to pay later than a month more
D. to pay later more than a month
11. The ancient Egyptians are supposed _________ rockets to the moon.
A. to send B to be sending
C to have sent D. to have been sending
12. Mark often attempts to escape _______ whenever he breaks traffic regulations.
A. having been fined B. to have been fined
C. to be fined D. being fined
13. He gives people the impression ____________ all his life abroad.
A. of having spend B. to have spent
C. of being spent D. to spent
14. Your hair wants _________. You'd better have it done tomorrow.
A. cut B. to cut C. cutting D. being cut
15. If I had remembered ________ the window, the thief would not have got in.
A. to close B. closing C. to have closed D. having closed
16. Mr. Johnson preferred _____ heavier work to do.
A. to be given B. to be giving
C. to have given D. having given
17. The match was cancelled because most of the members ______ a match without a standard court.
A. objected to having B were objected to have
C. objected to have D. were objected to having
18. The traditional approach _______with complex problem is to break them down into smaller, more easily managed problems.
A. to dealing B. in dealing C. dealing D. to deal
19. Jean did not have time to go to the concert last night because she was busy _______ for her examination.
A. to prepare B. to be prepared
C. preparing D. being prepared
20.__________ in an atmosphere of simple living was what her parents wished for.
A. The girl was educated B. The girl educated
C. The girl's being educated D. The girl to be educated
Choose the best choice and complete the sentence.
1. I know him a good football player while in college.
A. to have been B. to be C. was D. had been
2. I _____you off yesterday , but I didn’t have time.
A. hope to have been B. hope to see
C. hoped to have seen D. hoped to see
3. I ___him a favor several days ago.
A. promise to do B. promise to have done
C. promised to do D. promised to have done
4. I am glad ___by him yesterday.
A. not to be seen B. to not have been seen
C. not to have seen D. to not be seen
5. I am sorry not ____it to you soon.
A. mailed B. mailing C. to have mailed D. have mailed
6. Mr. White was seen _____the Palace Museum .
A. enter B. to enter C. entered D. to have entered
7. I had rather ____him today than tomorrow.
A. seen B. see C. saw D. to see
8. he would rather stay at home than ______out with you.
A. go B. to go C. going D. goes
9. She cannot help______ when she heard the bad news.
A. burst into tears B. bursting into tears
C. to burst into tears D. to burst out tears
10. We enjoyed the holiday ____ the expense.
A .except B. besides
C. in addition to D. except for
11. If you want children to work hard you must ____ their interests instead of their sense of duty.
A. appeal to B. look into C. give rise to D. go in for
12. Mac’s close _______to his brother made people mistake them for one another.
A. resemblance B. identity C. appearance D. relationship
13. ―Maria has blisters in her boots.‖ ―She ____walking such a long distance.‖
A. was used not to B. used to
C. is not used to D. did not used to
14. Before the tourists set off, they spent much time setting a limit ___________the expenses of the trip.
A. for B. in C. to D. about
15. He spoke in such a big high voice ___at the farther end of the room.
A. as to be heard B. to be heard
C. as to hear D. to hear
Choose the one that you think is the best answer to the questions. When next year's crop of high-school graduates arrive at Oxford University in the fall of 2009, they'll be joined by a new face; Andrew Hamilton, the 55-year-old provost (教务长) of Yale, who'll become Oxford's vice-chancellor-a position equivalent to university president in America.
Hamilton isn't the only educator crossing the Atlantic. Schools in France, Egypt, Singapore, etc, have also recently made top-level hires from abroad. Higher education has become a big and competitive
business nowadays, and like so many businesses, it's gone global. Yet the talent flow isn't universal. High-level personnel tend to head in only one direction: outward from America.
The chief reason is that American schools don't tend to seriously
consider looking abroad. For example, when the board of the University of Colorado searched for a new president, it wanted a leader familiar with the state government, a major source of the university's budget. "We
didn't do any global consideration," says Patricia Hayes, the board's chair. The board ultimately picked Bruce Benson, a 69-year-old Colorado
businessman and political activist (活动家) who is likely to do well in the main task of modern university presidents: fund-raising. Fund-raising is a distinctively American thing, since U.S. schools rely heavily on donations. The fund-raising ability is largely a product of experience and necessity. Many European universities, meanwhile, are still mostly dependent on government funding. But government support has failed to keep pace with rising student number. The decline in government support has made funding-raising an increasing necessary ability among administrators and has hiring committees hungry for Americans.
In the past few years, prominent schools around the world have joined the trend. In 2003, when Cambridge University appointed Alison Richard, another former Yale provost, as its vice-chancellor, the university publicly stressed that in her previous job she had overseen "a major strengthening of Yale's financial position."
Of course, fund-raising isn't the only skill outsiders offer. The
globalization of education means more universities will be seeking heads with international experience of some kind of promote international programs and attract a global student body. Foreigners can offer a fresh perspective on established practices.
16. What is the current trend in higher education discussed in the passage?
A. institutions worldwide are hiring administrators from the U.S.
B. A lot of political activists are being recruited as administrators.
C. American universities are enrolling more international students.
D. University presidents are paying more attention to funding-raising.
17. What is the chief consideration of American universities when hiring top-level administrators?
A. The political correctness.
B. Their ability to raise funds.
C. Their fame in academic circles.
D. Their administrative experience.
18. What do we learn about European universities from the passage?
A. The tuitions they charge have been rising considerably.
B. Their operation is under strict government supervision.
C. They are strengthening their position by globalization.
D. Most of their revenues come from the government.
19. Cambridge University appointed Alison Richard as its vice-chancellor chiefly because _____.
A. she was known to be good at raising money
B. she could help strengthen its ties with Yale
C. she knew how to attract students overseas
D. she had boosted Yale's academic status
20. In what way do top-level administrators from abroad contribute to university development?
A. They can enhance the university's image.
B. They will bring with them more international faculty.
C. They will view a lot of things from a new perspective.
D. They can set up new academic disciplines.
Choose a word that best completes each of the following sentences.
1. The door was open.
It______ open. I had locked it myself and the key was in my pocket.
A. can’t be B. mustn’t be C. can’t have been D. mustn’t have been
2. -----I bought this shirt for 35 yuan yesterday.
-----It’s on sale today for only 30. You should have waited. -----Oh really? But how ____ I know?
A. would B. can C. did D.do
3. She must be in the dormitory now.
No, she_____ be there. I saw her in the classroom a minute ago.
A. mustn’t B. can’t C. couldn’t D. wouldn’t
4. He_____ the 8:20 bus because he didn’t leave home until 8:25.
A. couldn’t have caught B. ought to have caught
C. shouldn’t have caught D. must not have caught
5. The meeting has been cancelled. Ann_____ all that work.
A. need to do B. need have
C. needn’t have done D. needed not to do
6. We could_____ him with a detached house when he came, but he had specifically asked a small flat.
A. provide B. have provided
C. not provide D. not have provided
7. As it turned out to be a small party, we_____ so formally.
A. need not have dressed up B. must not have dressed up
C. did not need to dress up D. must not dress up
8. You____ Mark anything. It was none of his business.
A.needn’t have told B. needn’t tell
C. mustn’t have told D. mustn’t tell
9. He____ unwisely, but he was at least trying to do something helpful.
A. may have acted B. must have acted
C. should act D. would act
10. Much as____ I couldn’t lend him the money because I simple didn’t have that much spare cash.
A. I would have liked to B. I would like to have
B. C. I should have to like D. I should have liked to
11. He____ a letter to her to explain the whole thing, but he didn’t.
A. should write B. ought to have written
C. ought to write D. should be writing
12. It’s Sunday today. You____ school.
A. didn’t need to go to B. needn’t have gone to
C. mustn’t go to D. couldn’t go to
13. I could find my umbrella nowhere, I____ it in the taxi.
A. should leave B.must have left
C. could leave D. should have left
14. You____ the look on her face when her son won the prize.
A.would have seen B. can be seeing
C. must see D. should have seen
15. You never dared to speak to her, ____?
A. dared you B. daren’t you C. did you D. didn’t you
16. Tom oughtn’t to have driven the car so fast. He____ a serious accident.
A. may have had B. might have
C. might have had D. might as well have
17. The nurse walked on tiptoe for fear that she____ the patient.
A. should wake B. would wake C. had waken D. woke
18. ---- I think you ought to have your paper finished.
---- Yes, I______.
A.would B. ought C. should D. should have
19. It is strange that you____ do such a thing.
A. would B. will C. should D. shall
20. I called to tell him how to get there but perhaps I _____ him a map.
A. should have given B. ought to give
C. had to give D. must have given
Put the verbs in the brackets into simple past or past progressive, past perfective or past perfective progressive.
When I __1__ (open) the door I saw a man on his knees. He clearly __2__(listen) to our conversation and I wondered how much he __3__(hear). When I asked him what he __4__(do), he said that he __5__(drop) a 50p piece outside the door and __6__(look) for it.
I__7__(not see) any sign of the money, but I found a small notebook a pencil which be probably __8__(drop) when the door opened suddenly. So he __9__(take) notes of our conversation! The notes __10__(be) written in a foreign language, so I __11__(turn) to the stranger and __12__(ask) him to translate. But he __13__(pull) my hat over my eyes and __14__(run) off down the corridor. By the time I __15__(recover) from the shock he __16__(disappear) round the corner. Curiously enough, when __17__(move) my foot I __18__(find) that I ___19__(stand) on a 50p piece. Perhaps he __20__(tell) the truth after all.
Choose the best one to complete the following sentences.
1.Grain production in the world is soaring, ____still millions go hungry.
2.____almost universal acknowledgement of vital importance of
women’s literacy, edution remains a dream for far too many women in far too many countries of the world.
3.____he is, David knows a lot.
A.As child B.A child as
C.Child as D.As a child
4.I forgot my appointment even____my secretary remained me.
5.____all the world were agaist me, I should still hold to my opinion.
6.____everybody desert you, I will not.
7..Difficult ____the task was, they managed to complete it in time.
A.even if B.even though
8.He is a dangerous element; there is no reason, ____, to shoot him.
A.even though B.even if
9.____I know the money is safe, I shall not worry about it.
A.Even though B.Unless
C.As long as D.However
10.____the heavy rain, quite a large crowd of people were waiting at the station to see the president arrive.
A.Although B.Even though
11.____income tax and the cost of repairs to the house, Mr. Corder has saved quite a lot of money this year.
C.In spite of D.Even though
12.____I like economics, I like sociology much better.
A.As much as B.So much
C.How much D.Much as
13.____, Mr. Wells is scarcely in sympathy with the working class.
A.Although he is a socialist B.Even if he is a socialist
C.Being a socialist D.Since he is a socialist
14.Don’t try too hard, ____never give up.
15.He didn’t tell me where he had been; but I knew it, _____.
Read the following passage; choose the one that you think is the correct answer.
President Bush's address
11/9/2001, Tuesday night, After terrorist attacks on New York and Washington
Good evening. Today, our fellow citizens, our way of life, our very freedom came under attack in a series of deliberate and deadly terrorist acts.
The victims were in airplanes or in their offices -- secretaries,
businessmen and women, military and federal workers. Moms and dads. Friends and neighbors.
The pictures of airplanes flying into buildings, fires burning, huge structures collapsing, have filled us with disbelief, terrible sadness and a quiet, unyielding anger.
These acts of mass murder were intended to frighten our nation into
Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shatter steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve.
America was targeted for attack because we're the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world. And no one will keep that light from shining.
Today, our nation saw evil, the very worst of human nature, and we responded with the best of America, with the daring of our rescue workers, with the caring for strangers and neighbors who came to give blood and help in any way they could.
Immediately following the first attack, I implemented our
government's emergency response plans. Our military is powerful, and it's prepared. Our emergency teams are working in New York City and Washington, D.C., to help with local rescue efforts.
Our first priority is to get help to those who have been injured and to take every precaution to protect our citizens at home and around the world from further attacks.
The functions of our government continue without interruption. Federal agencies in Washington which had to be evacuated today are reopening for essential personnel tonight and will be open for business tomorrow.
Our financial institutions remain strong, and the American economy will be open for business as well.
The search is underway for those who are behind these evil acts. I've directed the full resources for our intelligence and law enforcement
communities to find those responsible and bring them to justice. We will make no distinction between the terrorists who committed these acts and those who harbor them.
I appreciate so very much the members of Congress who have joined me in strongly condemning these attacks. And on behalf of the American people, I thank the many world leaders who have called to offer their condolences and assistance.
America and our friends and allies join with all those who want peace and security in the world and we stand together to win the war against terrorism.
Tonight I ask for your prayers for all those who grieve, for the
children whose worlds have been shattered, for all whose sense of safety and security has been threatened. And I pray they will be comforted by a power greater than any of us spoken through the ages in Psalm 23: "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me."
This is a day when all Americans from every walk of life unite in our resolve for justice and peace. America has stood down enemies before, and we will do so this time.
None of us will ever forget this day, yet we go forward to defend freedom and all that is good and just in our world.
Thank you. Good night and God bless America.
16.What’s the meaning of the word ―despicable‖ in paragrath three?
17.Who is the great people mentioned by Bush in paragrath 5?
A.The God B.Bush himself
C.Binlaten D.All above
18.What is the reason that America became the target for attack according to the author?(but it is not true/added by me a Chinese)
A.Because American were the brightest nation.
B.Because American had done something wrong.
C.Because the steel of America had been dented.
D.It is just a coincidence.
19.What is American’s first-to-do after 9/11 attack?
A.to get help to those injuried
B.to protect our citizens at home
C.to secure American abroad
20.Which one is NOT TRUE?
A.The attack is a disaster to American people.
B.The whole country is busy with dealing with kinds of ―wreckage‖.
C.Many countries stand together to win the war against terrorists.
D.The address is not anything political.
Choose the right answer.
1. The committee has anticipated the problems that ____in the road construction project.
A.arise B. will arise C. arose D. have arisen
2. James has just arrived, but I didn’t know he ____until yesterday.
A. Will come B. was coming C. has been coming D. came
3. ____conscious of my moral obligations as a citizen.
A. I was and always will be B. I have to be and always will be
C.I had been and always will be D. I have been and always will be
4. Had Judy been more careful on the maths exam, she ____much better results now.
A. would be getting B. could have got
C. must get D. would get
5. If you explained the situation to your solicitor, he ____able to advise you much better than I can.
A. would be B. will have been C. was D. were
6. ____, I will marry him all the time.
A. Was he rich or poor B. Whether rich or poor
C. Were he rich or poor D. Be he rich or poor
7. In less than two weeks, I____.
A. will graduate B. am graduating
C. have graduated D. will have graduated
8. I hope, when you have finished this exercise, you ___ many mistakes in it.
A. won’t B. won’t have made
C. won’t be making D. won’t have been making
9. While people may refer to television for up-to-the minute news, it is unlikely that television _____ the newspaper completely.
A. will replace B. have replaced
C. replace D. replaced
10. Turn on the television or open a magazine and you _____ advertisements showing happy, balanced families.
A. are often seeing B. often see
C. will often see D. have often seen
11. I decided to go to the library as soon as I _____ what I was doing.
A. finishes B. finished
C. will finish D. have finished
12. The conference _____ a full week by the time it ends.
A. will have lasted B. must have lasted
C. would last D. has lasted
13. It’s reported that by the end of this month the output of cement in the factory _____ by about 10%.
A. will have risen B. has risen
C. will be rising D. has been rising
14. Pick me up at 8 o’clock. I _____ my bath by then.
A. will have had B. will be having
C. can have had D. may have
15. By the time he arrives in Beijing, we _____ here for two days.
A. will have stayed B. shall stay
C. have been staying D. have stayed
16. My train arrives in New York at eight o’clock tonight. The plane I would like to take from there _____ by then.
A. would leave B. will have left
B. has left D. had left
17. If she doesn’t tell him the truth now, he’ll simply keep on asking her until she _____.
A. does B. has done
C. will D. would do
18. Jean doesn’t want to work right away because she thinks that if she _____ a job she probably wouldn’t be able to see her friends very often.
A. has to get B. were to get
C. had got D. could have got
19. The millions of calculations involved, had they been done by hand, _____ all practical value by the time they were finished.
A. had lost B. would have lost
C. would lose D. should have lost
20. _____ before we depart the day after tomorrow, we should have a wonderful dinner party.
A. Had they arrived
B. Would they arrive
C. Were they to arrive
D. Were they arriving
1. John is not as ___ as Bob.
A. bright B.brighter C. brightest D. wise
2. The girl was __ brilliant__ she was beautiful.
A. so…tha B. so…that C. t as…as D.that…that
3. She is not so__ as s he is pretty.
A. wittier B. witty C. wittiest D. smarter
6. He ordered that the book____________sent at once.
A. should be B. is C. is being D. was
7. He advised that the money________ given back.
A. be B. is C. was D. can be
8. ―You_________（be）careful!‖ he shouted.
9. The board has given structions that the agent_________ (fly) to Boston.
10. Your advice that she ________(wait) till next week is reasonable.
11. ________ , I will marry him all the same.
A. Was he rich or poor B. Whether rich or poor
C. Were he rich or poor D. Be rich or poor
12. ______you_______ futher problems with your printer , control your dealer for advice.
A． If , had B. Have , had C. Should , have D. In case, had
13. It is proposed that the matter _____ discussed at the next meeting.
A. will be B. was C. would be D. be
14. It is recommended that the project _____ until all the preparations have been made.
A. not be started B. is not started
C. will not be started D. is not to be started
15. We desire that the tour leader _____ us immediately of any change in plans.
A. inform B. informs
C. informed D. has informed
16. The suggestion that the mayor _____ the prizes was accepted by everyone.
A. would present B. present
C. presents D. ought to present
17. We are all for your proposal that the discussion _____.
A. be put off B. was put off
C. should put off D. is to put off
18. I don’t think it advisable that Tim _____ to the job since he has no experience.
A. is assigned B. be assigned
C. will be assigned D. has been assigned
19. As commander-Chief of the armed force, I have directed that all measures _____ for our defense.
A. had been taken B. would be taken
C. be taken D. to be taken
20. It is politely requested by the hotel management that radios _____ after 11 o’clock at night.
A. were not played B. not be played
C. not to play D. did not play
1．He has great interest in____ history，especially in ____history of Tang Dynasty．
A．a；the B．a；不填 C．不填；the D．不填；a
2．The party last night was___success．we sang and danced until it came to___end at twelve．
A．a；the B．the；an C．a；an D．不填；an
3．While Jane was cooking fish on____open fire outside，her hair caught___fire．
A．不填；a B．不填；不填 C．an；a D．an；不填
4．Young as he is，David has gained___rich experience in___society．
A．不填；不填 B．the; the C．a；不填 D．不填；the
5．People regard the wheel as____invention of the
first importance in____human history．
A．an；the B．an；不填 C．the；the D．the；不填
6．Mr Stock，who is in Mexico on__，runs___small business．
C．the business；a D．business；不填
7．Fortunately he will go on___ holiday in__place of Brown．
A．不填；the B．不填；不填 C．不填; a D．the；不填
8．Zhang Hua is a student at___．
A．the University of Beijing B．the Beijing University
C．Beijing University D．University of Beijing
9．Many people are still in___habit of writing silly things in___public places．
A．the；the B．不填;不填 C．the； D．不填；the
10．Wouldn’t it be___wonderful world if all nations
lived in___peace with one another?
A．a；不填 B．the；不填 C．a；不填 D．the；the
11．Your uncle must have___X- ray examination．
A．a B．不填 C．the D．an
12．I remember he lives in___
A．the；the B．不填；不填 C．不填；the D．the；不填
A．the manager office B．the office of the manager
C．the manager’s office D．the office of the manager’s
14．Five years ago her brother was___university student of___physics．
A．an；the B．a；不填 C．an；不填 D．a；the
15．—Do you know who invented____telephone?
—No，but it is really___most useful invention．
A．the；the B．a；a C．the；a D．a；the
16.Jean did not have time to go to the concert last night because she was busy _______ for her examinion.
A. to prepare B. to be prepared
C. preparing D. being prepared
17.__________ in an atmosphere of simple living was what her parents wished for.
A. The girl was educated B.The girl educated
C. The girl's being educated D. The girl to be educated
18.Although punctual himself, the professor was quite used ______ late for his lecture.
A. to have students B. for students' being
C. for students to be D. to student's being
19.As early as 1647, Ohio made a decision that free, tax supported schools must be established in every town ______ 50 households or more.
A. having B. to have C. to have had D. having had
20.After the Arab states won independence, great emphasis was laid on expanding education, with girls as well as boys ____________ to go to school.
A. to be encouraged C. being encouraged
B. been encouraged D. be encouraged
17. whisper 改为whispering
19.and 改为 or
20. or 改为 and
1—5 AADBA 6—10 ABCCA 11—15 AADAD 16—20 CDDBC
1. are→have been
2. have been drinking→have drunk
4. Have you done→Did you do
6. didn't seen→hasn't seen
7. passed→have passed
8. have been looking
10. has been playing/ has played
12. have been waiting
1 A 2 A 3 C 4 A 5 A 6 C
8 is 9 was 7 C
10 to be built 11grows 12to arrive 13to make the deal 14to be published 15to lose
3. so that
4.As a result
13. so that
15. so that
17. because of
20. in that
1. C. 2. C. 3. B. 4. A. 5. C. 6. B. 7. A. 8. A. 9. A. 10. A.
11. B. 12. B. 13. B. 14. D. 15.C. 16. C. 17. A. 18. D.
19.C. 20. A.
2 had been listening
3 had heard
4 had been doing
5 had dropped
6 had been looking
7 didn’t see
8 had dropped
9 had been taking
16 had disappeared
19 had been standing
20 had been telling
4. This swimming pool is as wide as it is long.
5. He is not so wise as he is witty.
8. shoul be/be
9. should fly
10. should wait