Notre Dame Cathedral
TRAVEL SPOTLIGHT: PARIS
What do you think of Paris?
Read this newspaper article about Paris. Circle the things you like about visiting Paris. Underline the things you don’t like.
Answer these questions after you read the article about Paris.
1. Where is Paris? 2. Are there any beaches? 3. What is the most famous sight in Paris? 4. Do Frenchmen speak English? 5. If you go to Paris, how will you visit the city? 6. What do you think of Paris?
Make some sentences using these phrases.
1. ____________________ 2. ____________________ 3. ____________________ 4. ____________________ 5. ____________________ 6. ____________________
consider doing the capital of one of in the world be convenient to do in general
Role Play (3b)
Sample conversation 1: A: Where would you like to go, Kathy? B: I’d like to visit Hong Kong. A: Isn’t it supposed to be very crowded? B: Yes, it is. But Hong Kong is also very interesting and it offers us a lot of entertainments.
Sample conversation 2:
A: Where would you like to go, Kathy? B: I’d like to visit Mexico City. A: Isn’t it supposed to be very relaxing? B: Yes, it is. But Mexico city is also exciting. We have a lot of things to do.
Sample conversation 3:
A: Where would you like to go, Kathy?
B: I’d like to visit New York.
A: Isn’t it supposed to be very touristy. B: Yes, it is. But New York is fascinating, and it has lots of wonderful galleries.
Sample conversation 4:
A: Where would you like to go, Kathy?
B: I’d like to visit Sydney.
A: Isn’t it supposed to be very expensive? B: Yes, it is. But Sydney is also beautiful and it has lots of fantastic beaches.
1. For your next vacation, why not consider visiting Paris? 为什么不考虑一下到新加坡去度你 的下一个假期？ (1) why not … = why don’t you… 意 思是“你为什么不……”用于表示提议、 劝诱等，“why not…?”结构中，not 后接动词原形。
e. g. Why not come and see me tomorrow? = Why don’t you come and see me tomorrow? 明天来找我怎么样？
深思熟虑”，后面可接名词、从句、副 词，接动词时要用v-ing形式。 e. g. We considered his suggestion. 我们仔细考虑了他的建议。
He is considering studying abroad. 他正在考虑出国留学。 We considered how we should help them. 我们仔细考虑应该如何帮助他们。 Consider carefully before you decide. 你要慎重考虑后再决定。
(3) 句中的visit是动词, visit还可作名词。 <1> visit作动词时, 既可作及物动词, 也 可作不及物动词, 表 “访问, 拜访, 探望”。 e. g. I’m going to visit my uncle tomorrow.
<2> visit作名词时，意为 “访问, 参
观，观光”。后接介词to短语时, 表 示 “在某处的访问（观光）”。 e. g. This is my first visit to Sweden. 这是我第一次到
2. Paris is the capital of France, and is one of the liveliest cities in Europe. 巴黎是法国的首都,并且是欧洲最美 丽的城市之一。 one of+最高级+名词复数, 意为 “最……的之一”。 Beijing is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
3. Traveling around Paris by taxi can
cost a lot of money.
take, spend, cost的区别：
spend 主语是人, take 主语是物或是 it 做形式主语, cost 主语是物。 1) spend的主语必须是“人”，宾语可 以是钱，精力，时间等，其后用on (for)+ 名词或用in(可省略)+动名词形式，不接 不定式。e. g. He spent a lot of money for his new car.
He spends much money on books. Mr. Li spends a lot of time (in) helping his students with their English. 2) take可用于表示花时间、金钱、勇 气等。e. g. It took the workers three years to build the bridge. 建这座桥花了工人们三年的时间。
3) cost可用于表示花时间和金钱, 其 主语一般是“物”或“事”, 表示“耗 费”。 e. g. The book costs him one dollar. 这本书用了他一美元。 Homework costs the children much time. 家庭作业要花孩子们许多时间。
4. So unless you speak French yourself, it’s best to travel with someone who can translate things for you. 所以除非你本人说法语,最好和一个 能替你翻译法语的人一起来巴黎旅游。 unless 除非……,引导条件状语从句。 比“if…not”略微正式。
Ⅰ. 根据句意及首字母提示补全下列句 中所缺单词。
1. We had a long and t____ journey with iring heavy suitcases yesterday. 2. They are c_________ going to Canada to onsidering spend their vacations. 3. Maria is a l ____ girl and always full of ively energy.
4. The book is very popular, and it has been t________ into many languages. ranslated
5. What a w________ idea you have got! onderful
6. We can go to London and visit the famous
s_____ there. ights
wine, convenience, church, peace, light 1. Riding a bike is more___________ than convenient driving a car in busy cities. 2. France is famous for its fine food and_____. wine
wine, convenience, church, peace, light 3. This coat is_______ than that one. lighter
4. How many_________ are there in your churches
5. We spent a peaceful night in the _______
Ⅲ. 根据句意及所给汉语提示完成下列句子， 每空一词(含缩写)。 1. I’m sure you’ll succeed____________ some/one day (某一天). 2. Jim plans to go on vacation __________(度假) with his family in New York. 3. The band played many songs, ________ including (包括) some of my favorites.
4. You ________________ (不应该) play aren’t supposed to on the street. 5. I like sports _________ (总之), and in
general especially football.