Unit 5 It must belong to Carla
Which one is bigger, A or B?
Could A be bigger than B? ? No. In fact, A and B must be
the same size ________________. A B
Fill in the blanks with the correct word given.
favorite careful anxious worried strange
Read these proverbs from around the world. What do you think they might mean? Discuss with your classmates.
1. One finger cannot lift a small stone.
2. When an ant says “ocean”, he’s talking about a small pool. 3. It is less of a problem to be poor than to be dishonest. 4. Be careful of the person who does not talk, and the dog that does not bark. 5. You can’t wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.
Maybe it means only one person alone can’t do a thing very well.
Maybe it means different persons might have different understanding of the same thing. Maybe it means being dishonest could be worse than being poor. Maybe it means the person who does not talk, and the dog that does not bark must be more dangerous. Maybe it means a bad person can’t be stopped from doing bad things.
6. Tell me and I’ll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Let me try, and I’ll understand.
7. Don’t let yesterday use up too much of today. 8. He who would do great things should not attempt them all alone.
Maybe it means doing is learning, and teaching might not be very effective.
Maybe it means what was done yesterday can’t be changed. Maybe it means one can’t do a great thing alone all by oneself.
In each line, circle the word that doesn’t belong.
1.escape owner chase run 2. picnic lunch dinner alien 3. land apple ice cream chicken 4. creature alien exercise visitor 5. lost grass tree flower
1. Peter ____ come with us tonight, but he isn’t very sure yet. A.may B. can C. will 2. I thought you ____ like something to read, so I have brought you some books. A. may B. might C. should B. might
3. “Whose pen is this?” It ____ Liu Mei because I saw her use it the other day. C. must belong to A. can’t be B. might be C. must belong to 4. That’s a piece of good news. They ___ glad to hear that. C. must be A. can be B. might be 5. This story ____ long time ago. A. was happened B. has happened C. happened
6. She ____ her test paper, for only fifteen minutes has passed. A. can’t have finished B. must have finished C. might has finished
7. He’s staying at home today ____ he is ill. A. because B. because of C. so 8. Peter often annoys others _____ his confidence. A. because B. because of C. use 9. He was left in the forest so we were all _____ for his safety. A. worried B. excited C. anxious 10. “Where ____ my umbrella?”“Somebody ____ it away by mistake.” A. A. is, must have taken B. is, must take C. have been, must take D. is, takes