Can you come to my party?
Section A Period One
Words and expressions
Read the words and expressions loudly.
prepare v. 使做好准备；把…… 准备好 prepare for
为……做准备 exam n. (=examination)考试
flu n. 流行性感冒；流感
available a. 有空的；可获得的
Words review another time
until conj.&prep. 到??时； 直到??为止 hang hang out catch v. 悬挂；垂下 闲逛，常去某处 v. 及时赶上；接住；抓 住
To learn to use the following structures about invitations -Can you come to my party on…? -Sure, I’d love to./Sorry, I can’t. I have to/must… To learn to use the modal verb can for invitations and the modal verb have to for giving reasons
-What are you going to do this weekend? -I’m going to…
go to the movies
prepare for an exam
have the flu
meet my friends
-What is he/she going to do this weekend? -He/She is…
have a piano lesson
go to the doctor
help her mother
visit his aunt
- What are they going to do this weekend? - They are…
spend time with friends have a party
This Saturday is my birthday. I want you to come to my birthday party.
Can you come to my party?
Sure, I'd love to.
Sorry, I can‘t. I have to see my aunt. Sorry, I can't. I'm going to the movies.
1a Match the phrases with the pictures [a-e]. 1. prepare for an exam a e 2. help my parents ___ d 3. go to the doctor ___
b 4. meet my friend ___
c 5. have the flu ___
1b Listen and write the names (Tim, Kay, Anna and Wilson) next to the correct students in the picture. Tim
1c You are the students in the picture. Student A, invite three students to your party. Student B, C and D, give answers.
A: Can you come to my party on Saturday afternoon? B: Sure, I’d love to. C: Sorry, I can’t. I have to prepare for an exam. D: I’m sorry, too. I must go to the doctor. Group
2a Listen and circle can or can’t.
1. Jeff (can/ can’t) go to the party.
2. Mary (can/ can’t) go to the party.
3. May (can/ can’t) go to the party.
4. Mei Ling (can/ can’t) go to the party. 5. Paul (can/ can’t) go to the party.
2b Listen again. Who can’t go to the party? Why? Complete the chart. Names Reasons
He might have to meet his friend on Saturday. May She has the flu. Mei Ling She must study for a math test.
Look at the reasons in the chart in 2b. Write some more. Then, Student A, invite your partner to do something. Student B, say you can’t go and why.
too much 1.____________
______________ homework 2.____________ 3. ____________ 4. ____________
A: Hey, Dave. Can you go to the movies on Saturday? B: I’m sorry. I’m not available. I have too much homework this weekend. A: That’s too bad. Maybe another time. B: Sure, Joe. Thanks for asking.
2d Role-play the conversation. Jeff: Hey, Nick, can you come to my house on Saturday? My cousin Sam from Xi’an is going to be here. Nick: Oh, S
am! I remember we went bike riding together last fall when he visited you. Jeff: Yes, that’s right.
Nick: I’d love to come, but I’m afraid I can’t. I have an exam on Monday so I must prepare for it. Jeff: That’s really too bad! Oh, but Sam isn’t leaving until next Wednesday. Can you hang out with us on Monday night? Nick: Sure! Catch you on Monday!
Make an invitation
Can you come to my party? Would you like to come to my party?
Accept （接受 ）
I’m sorry, I can’t. I have to…(play the piano…)
Yes, I’d love/like to. Thank you. Certainly, I’d love/like to. I’d love to, but I have to… Sure, I’ d love/like to.
(go to the doctor…)
情态动词 can 的基本用法
情态动词 can 有一定的词义, 但不能独立 存在, 它必须与动词原形一起构成谓语。 情态动词 can 没有人称和数的变化。其 具体用法如下: 1. 表示“能、会”, 指脑力或体力方面的 “能力”。如: I can speak English. 我会讲英语。 Jim can swim but I can’t. 吉姆会游泳, 但我不会。
2. 表示“可能”, 常用于否定句或疑问句 中, 指某种可能性。例如: Han Mei can’t be in the classroom. 韩梅不可能在教室里。 Can he come here today, please? 请问他今天能到这里来吗？ 3. 表示“可以”, 常用于口语中, 指许可或 请求做某事。如: Can I have a cup of tea, please? 请问我可以喝一杯茶吗？ You can go out. 你可以出去了。
have to 的用法 1. have (has) to + 动词原形 have (has) to 后面要用动词原形。当主语 为第三人称单数时用 has to，当句子是过 去时用 had to。 We have to leave now. 我们不得不现在就离开。 He has to work on Sunday. 他不得不在周日工作。 I had to do my homework last Sunday. 上周日我不得不做作业。
2. have to 的否定句句型：主语 + don’t/didn’t/ doesn’t/won’t +have to + 动词原形 You don’t have to walk so fast. 你不必走那么快。 He will not have to buy a new coat next year. 明年他没必要买新外衣了。 3. have to 的疑问句句型：Do/Does/Did/Will + 主语 + have to + 动词原形 Did he have to ask the question? 他非要问那个问题吗？ Yes, he did. 是的。 No, he didn’t (have to). 不。
1. I’m sorry. I’m not available. 真抱歉，我没有空。 此句中的available表示“有空，不忙，有 时间交谈、聊天”，其后还可用to do引 出具体的事情。例如： Are you available tomorrow morning? 明天早上你有空吗？ I‘m afraid I’m not available to help with the school show on the 19th. 我怕是没空来帮着准备学校19号的演出了。
2. Sam isn’t leaving until next Wednesday. 萨姆要一直待到下周三才走。 在英语中，not…until…是一个常见句型， 表示“直到……才……”。在口语中，还 可使用till代替until， 构成not…till…结构。 又如： Don’t leave today
’s work till tomorrow. 不要把今天的事留到明天去做。 I didn’t go to bed last night until past midnight. 昨晚我过了午夜12点才睡。
3. Catch you on Monday! 礼拜一见！ 这是英语中道别的另一种说法，相当 于See you on Monday!类似的说法还 有：Catch/ See you later! (回头见)
Sure, I’d love to. Sorry, I must study for a math test. Can you go to Sure. That sounds the movies great. tomorrow night? I’m afraid not. I have the flu. Can you come to my party on Saturday?
Can he go to the party? Can she go to the baseball game?
No, he can’t. He has to help his parents. No, she’s not available. She must go to the doctor.
Can they go to the movies?
No, they’re not free. They might have to meet their friends.
注: 另附word文档。 点击此处链接
1. - 星期五你能来参加我的聚会吗？ - 对不起，我不能去。我有钢琴课。
- Can you come to my party on Friday? - Sorry, I can’t. I have a piano lesson.
2.- 你星期日能去看电影吗？ - 对不起，我不能去。这周末我有太多作业。
- Can you go to the movies on Sunday? - Sorry, I can’t. I have too much homework this weekend.
3. 真遗憾，我没有空。 I’m sorry. I’m not available. 4. 安不能来我的聚会。
Ann can’t come to my party.
5. 直到11点他才写完作业。 He didn’t finish his homework until 11 o’clock.
二、完成以下任务 You are going to have a party on Sunday afternoon.
First list your friends’ names you
want to invite.
Next go to invite them, find out who
can come, who can’t come.
Then fill in the chart.
Can you come to my party on Sunday afternoon?
Name Lily … Can/ Can’t can’t … Reasons study for a test …
1. Practise the conversation Can
you come to my party.
2. Remember the new phrases by heart.
Preview other expressions to decline invitations.