Unit 7 Food Festival
Topic 1 May I invite you to our food festival?
The useful expressions on the telephone.
Hello! May I speak to Tom?
Is that Liu Ying speaking?
Can I leave a message?
He/She isn’t here right now.
Can I take a message?
Sorry, I’m afraid you have the wrong number.
Look, listen and say
(Uncle Yang is an English teacher in a high school. Kangkang is inviting him to the food festival over the phone.) Operator: Hello! No.37 High School. Kangkang: Hello! Extension 6006,please. Operator: OK. Hold on, please. Uncle Yang: (A few seconds later) Hello! Kangkang: Hello! Uncle Yang, this is Kangkang. Uncle Yang: What’s up, Kangkang? Kangkang: We’re going to have an international food festival to raise money for a village school in Nigeria. May I invite you to come? Uncle Yang: What a surprise! I’d love to. When and where? Kangkang: On our school playground on May 16th. It’s Sunday. You must come to our food festival. Uncle Yang: OK. I’m pleased to hear that. Keep up the good work, Kangkang!
Listen to 1a. Do remember the main idea of the conversation. Then retell it to the class.
Main idea of 1a
Kangkang is inviting Uncle Yang to their food festival over the phone. They will cook and sell delicious international food on the playground of their school on May 16 th. Uncle Yang promises to come that day.
Read 1a carefully and find out the following phrases.
1. hold on 稍等，别挂电话 2. a few seconds later 几秒之后 3. What’s up? 怎么了？发生什么啦？ 4. I’d love to. 我很想/愿意去。 5. be pleased to do sth. 很高兴去做某事 6. keep up the good work 干得好
1. Extension 6006, please. 这里的 extension 是电话分机的意思， 也可以表示为：telephone extension。 There are telephone extensions in every office. 每间办公室都有电话分机。
2. Hold on, please. hold on 意思是“不要挂断电话，稍 等 一会”，这个句子也可以替换为 Hold the line, please. 或者是Wait a moment, please. 又如： — May I speak to Li Min? — Hold on, please.
3. What’s up, Kangkang?怎么啦, 康康？
What’s up相当于 What’s the matter?
或者What’s wrong? 又如： What’s up? Why are you crying?
4. What a surprise! 多么令人惊奇的事呀! 这是一个感叹句，末尾省略了it is。 感叹句的表达有两种方式: (1) How + adj./ adv. +主语+谓语 如: How beautiful she is! How fast he runs! (2) What +名词+主语+谓语 如: What a beautiful girl she is! What fine weather it is! What clever students you are!
1b Work alone
Here is an invitation to Uncle Yang
from Kangkang. Please help him
complete it. The information in 1a may
Dear Uncle Yang, May 9th invite food I would like to _____ you to the international _____ festival at Ren’ai International School at 11:00 a.m., Sunday on _______, May 16th.We students will cook many raise delicious intern
ational foods for sale in order to _____ money for a village school in Nigeria. Hope to see you then! Sincerely, Kangkang
2a Read and understand
Dear Kangkang, Thank you for inviting me to your food festival. I’m sorry I’m not able to go. Let me tell you something about myself, Nigerian children and my village school. I was born in Nigeria and I’m a wrestler. I came to Canada in 1994. My favorite food is fried chicken. Wrestling, of course, is my favorite sport. I won a gold medal in the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
Nigerian children are as lovely as the children everywhere else. They work hard at school. They also enjoy playing games. However, the school in my village is very old and small. It has only a few school supplies. What’s worse, when it rains, the children in the classrooms all get wet. So I want to build a new school for them. I’m very pleased with what you are doing for us. Please give my best wishes to your friends. Sincerely, Daniel
Read 2a and answer the following questions:
1. Who did Daniel write to?
2. When did he come to Canada?
3. What is his favorite food?
4. When did Daniel Igali win a gold medal?
5. What is the school in his village like?
1. Who did Daniel write to? Kangkang, a student in Ren’ai International School. 2. When did he come to Canada? He came to Canada in 1994. 3. What is his favorite food? His favorite food is fried chicken.
4. When did he win a gold medal? He won a gold medal in the 2000 Sydney Olympics. 5. What is the school in his village like? It is very old and small and has only a few school supplies. When it rains, the children in the classroom all get wet.
1. Thank you for inviting me to your food festival. 谢谢你邀请我参加你们的美食节。 thank sb. for + sth. /doing sth. 意为“为??感 谢某人”。又如: Thank you for your beautiful present. 谢谢你送我这么漂亮的礼物。 Thank you for waiting me so long a time in the sun. 谢谢你在这么热的天里等了我这么长时间。
2. My favorite food is fried chicken. 这里的favorite是形容词 ，意为 “最喜欢 的” ，它没有比较级和最高级。又如： Pink is her favorite color. 粉红色是她最喜欢的颜色。 [拓展] favorite还可用作名词，意为“最喜爱 的 人或物”。如： I like all the books on the shelf but this one is my favorite. 我喜欢书架上所有的书, 但这本是我最喜欢的。
2b Work alone
Fill out the table according to 2a. Name Daniel Igali
Favorite sport Favorite food
wrestling fried chicken
Year (won a gold medal)
Reason to build a very old and small village school, only a school few school supplies
单项选择 ( B ) 1. We’re very _____ to be here again. A. please B pleased C. pleasure D. pleasing ( B ) 2. Thank you ______ me with this work. A. to help B. for helping C. for help D. to helping ( A ) 3. She doesn’t play as ___ as her sister. A. well B. good C. better D. best (
C ) 4. Don’t stop. Please keep ______on it. A. to work B. work C. working D. works ( A ) 5. Please give my best _____ your families. A. wishes to B. wish to C. wishes for D. wish for
1. Learn some new words and phrases hold on, in order to, supply
2. Social communications (1)Making telephone calls: Extension 6006, please. Hold on, please. (2)Invitation: You must come to our food festival. 3. Emotions Surprise: What a surprise!
1. Read 1a again and again until you
can retell it.
2. Imagine you will have a food
festival. Write an invitation to the person who you want to invite.