Unit 9 Can you come to my party?
Can she come to the party?
Can he go to the baseball game? No,he can’t. He has to study.
Can they come to the party？
No ，they can’t. They have to study for the math test.
Grammar Focus Can you come to my Sure, I’d love to. party on Saturday? Sorry, I must study for a math test. Can you go to the Sure. That sounds great. movies tomorrow night? I’m afraid not. I have the flu. Can he go to the party? No, he can’t. He has to help his parents. Can she go to the No. she’s not available. She baseball game? must go to the doctor. Can they go to the No, they’re not free. They movies? might have to meet their friends.
3a Complete the answers with might and one of the phrases in the box. watch TV on the weekend my cousin visit grandparents practice the violin 1. A: What are you going to do on Saturday?
B: I’m not sure. I might______________ practice the violin.
2. A: What are you planning to do after school?
B: I don’t know. ____________________ I might watch TV.
3. A: When will you finish the science homework? On the weekend B: ____________________________________ 4. A: Who are you going to the movies with? My cousin B:____________________________________ 5. A: Are you free to come to my place on Saturday?
No. I might visit grandparents . B: ____________________________________
3b Complete the sentences below. Use the words in brackets to help you. 1. Inviting: (can / play tennis)
Can you come to play tennis?
Sure, that sounds great. Accepting:________________________
2. Inviting: (would like to/ go to the movies)
Reason: (might have to) would you like to go to the movies? ______________________________ Refusing : I’m afraid not. I have too much
homework to do. ______________________________
3. Inviting: (can/hang out with us tonight)
____________________________________ Can you hang out with us tonight?
Refusing: _____________________________ No, I can’t. I must finish my homework.
4. Inviting: ( would like to / come to my
______________________________________ Would you like to come to my birthday party? Sure, I’d love to. Accepting:______________________________
3c Write down everything you have to do next week. Choose a day and time to have a party. Then invite classmates to your party.
A: Can you come to my party? B: When is it? A: Next week, on Thursday night. B: I’m sorry. I have to study for a math test.
Do you know week?
星期一 星期二 星期三 星期四 星期五 星期六 星期日 Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
colorful weekend activities
go go shopping skateboarding
go to the cinema
surf the Internet go fishing
go to a party
go to the concert
study for a test
have a piano lesson
go to the doctor
visit his aunt
go to a baseball
game/ have baseball training
What do you usually do on weekends? What activities do you do on weekends? What weekend activities do you do?
have to … 不得不
A: What do you have to do this weekend? B: I have to…
study for a test
go to the doctor
have a dancing lesson
情态动词主要有：may/might, can/could, must, have to, shall/should, will/would, ought to, need, dare, used to。 现在我们来着重学习情态动词can 以及 have to 的用法。 其特征主要有：
2. 没有人称和数的变化。 (have to除外) 3. 否定形式：在其之后加not (have to除外)。 疑问形式：情态动词提到主语之前(have to 除外)。
受对方的邀请时, 常用Sure, I’d love to. /
Certainly. /Of course.等来回答；若不接受,
常用Sorry等来有礼貌地拒绝, 一般情况下 需要说明不能接受邀请的原因以表示歉意。
—Can you come to my birthday party tomorrow？ 明天你来参加我的生日聚会，好吗？ —Sorry, I can’t. I am going to visit my
1. can/may (1) 都可表示“许可” 。may用于较正式、客 气的场合，而can比较随便（口语）。
You may/can smoke here.
? Borrowers may not take out of the library more than two books at a time. ? The policeman says you can’t park here.
(2) May/Can I/we…? 表示征询对方许可。 Can you…? 表示请求。 ① — May I use your phone? — Yes, you may./Yes, please. /No, you may not. /No, you mustn’t. /No, you’d better not. /I’m afraid not. /I’m sorry. I’d rather you didn’t.
② — Can I go out and play, Mum?
—Yes/Certainly, you can. /No, you can’t.
③ — Can you help me with this bag?
—With pleasure./Sorry, I can’t.
肯定句 Mr. Reed looks pale. He may be ill. (事实上的可能). Mr. Read is in poor health. He can be ill at any time. (逻辑、理论上的可能) This news may be true. (=might/could) (事实上的可能) Wang Wei can be really stubborn. (有时或偶然可能会)(=could)
否定句 This news may not be true. (也许不, =might not ) This news can’t be true. (不可能, =couldn’t) 疑问句 Can this news be true?(=Could) ≠May this news be true?
(4) can 还可表示“能力”、“能够” —You can swim, can’t you? —No, I can’t. I can’t promise anything, but I’ll do
what I can.
Tickets can be bought from the Tourist
2. might/could (1) 分别为may和can的一般过去时，分别表示 过去的“许可”、“可能”和“能力” 、 “能够”等。 The children asked whether they could/might go for a swim.(过去许可) I was afraid it might rain that afternoon. (过去可能) He
asked if the news could be true. (过去可能)(Can the news be true?)
She said he could speak several languages. (过去能力) I couldn’t find her telephone number.
(2) 都可表示现在或将来的“可能性”。语气 没有may肯定。 ①—There’s someone at the door. —It could/might(=may) be George. (肯定句)
/It couldn’t (=can’t) be George.(否定句)
/Could(=Can) it be George?(疑问句)
② According to the radio it could/might/ may
③ Lightning could (=can) be dangerous.
(3) Might/Could I/we …? Could you …?
表示更委婉、更客气的请求。 ① —Might/Could I ask you one more question? —Yes, of course you may/might/can/ could. ② —Could you help me with these boxes? —Of course I can./With pleasure.
—I wonder if I could/might leave now. —I don’t suppose you could/might.
3. can/be able to (1) can= am/is/are able to = shall/will be able to ① No one can do it. =No one is able to do it.
② Can you come tonight?
=Will you be able to come tonight?
(2) could 表示过去的技能、本能; was/ were able to 表示过去某一具体场合经过努力而 做成某事。 ① I could swim when I was six. ② He started late, but he was able to catch the eight o’clock train. =…but he managed to catch … =…but he succeeded in catching …
③Mr. Smith couldn’t/wasn’t able to see you because he’s got a bad cold.
(3) be able to还有完成式和非谓语形式。 ① I’m sorry I haven’t been able to answer your letter. =I’m sorry for not being able to answer your letter. ② To be able to run is very important for a footballer.
4. have to的意思是“必须、不得不”, 往往
have to 后接动词原形；have to有人称、 数和时态的变化, 其第三人称单数形式为
has to, 其疑问形式和否定形式要借助于
We have to look after our sister at home. 我们不得不在家照顾我们的妹妹。
Does he have to get up early tomorrow
morning? 明天早上他必须早起吗？ I don’t have to stay at home today. 今天我不必呆在家里。
情态动词“have to‖与其他的情态动词 如“can‖, ―may‖ ―must‖和 “should‖ 不同。 1) 这4个情态动词没有人称的变化, 而have to有, 它的第三人称单数 为“has to‖ 如： He should study hard. He has to study hard.
--Can he go with us? 他能和我们一起去吗？
--He can’t go with us. 他不能和我们一起去。
而“have to‖要加助动词do , does或did才
5. must/have to
(1) must 表示主观“必须”；have to表示客观 客观需要，即“不得不”
。 I don’t like this TV set. I must buy a new one. This TV set doesn’t work. We have to buy a new one. (now)
You must get up at five tomorrow. We (will) have to get up early tomorrow — we’re going to Devon. (future) I had to leave early because I wasn’t feeling well. She said she must/had to see the manager. (past)
表示邀请的句型: (你能来参加我的聚会吗?) Can you come to my party? Could you come to my party? Would you like to come to my party? 接受邀请: Sure, I’d love/like to. 拒绝邀请: I’m sorry, I can’t. I have to… /I’m V-ing…
一、选择正确的词 ? Thank you for ? Paul has to study math test tonight. ? My sister has too homework to do. much(much/ many) asking (ask/ asking), for (at/ for) the but I can’t go to the movies with you.
4. Can you come to my party
5. She invites me to watch (watch/ to watch) the
basketball match the day after tomorrow.
6. I like playing
(piano/ the piano).
二. 对话填空。每空一词，单词的首字母已给出。 A: Hey, Xiao Wang, can you go to the m_______ on Saturday? ovies B: I’m s______, I can’t. I have too much orry h_________ this weekend. And I’m not omework
eeling f_____ ____ well today.
A: That’s too b____. What’s the matter? ad
B: I’m not sure. Maybe I have a c______, as old I’m feeling a little cold. A: I think you’d b_____ go to the d_______. etter octor B: I also t______ so. hink A: Maybe I’m asking you to come another time. B: Sure. T______ for asking. hanks
三、选择题 1. Can you play tennis with A on Saturday ? A. us B. we C. our D. ours 2. Henry C his homework this afternoon. A. have to do B. have to doing C. has to do D. has to doing 3. Tony is playing tennis B the school team. A. on B. in C. to D. with 4. Jim D play soccer with his friend this weekend, because he is very busy. A. can B. cans C. cann’t D. can’t
? B. what’s today
-It’s October the 14th. A. When is today C. What time is today D. What day is today 6. He is A. fish
with his father the whole day. B. fishes
C. to fish
7. –Can you come to my party? -
A: Sure, I love
B: Sure, I love to
C: Sure, I’d love to
D: Sure, I’d love.
8. ---Would you like to play football with us?
---____________, but I’m busy. A A. No, I can’t B. No, I wouldn’t C. Yes, I’m glad D. Yes, I’d love to
9. ---___________I take the newspaper away?
---No, you mustn’t. You ______ read it only B here. A. Must; can C. Need; must B. May; can D. Must; must
Write an invitation based on the following information.
It’s a Birthday Party
For whom : Lisa Time : Friday,June30,at four hirty Place : Lisa’s house ,15th Street
Come and have fun!