Does Tine have good habits? 1C
Does Tine have good habits? Does Bill have good habits?
How often does…? exercise eat fruit How many hours…sleep? drink milk eat junk food drink coffee Tina
hardly ever never nine hours never
three or four times a week four times a day
every day nine hours every day
two or three times a week
A : How often do you exercise ? B : I exercise every day. A : And how often do you...? B : ...
Read the article.
What Do No.5 High School Students Do in Their Free Time ? Last month we asked our students about their free time activities. Our questions were about exercise, use of the Internet and watching TV. Here are the results.
We found that only fifteen percent of our students exercise every day. Forty-five percent exercise four to six times a week. Twenty percent exercise only one to three times a week. And twenty percent do not exercise at all !
We all know that many students often go online, but we were surprised that ninety percent of them use Inernet every day. The other ten percent use it at least three or four times a week. Most students use it for fun and not for homework.
The answers to our questions about watching television were also interesting. Only two percent of the students watch TV one to three times a week. Thirteen percent watch TV four to six times a week. And eight-five percent watch TV every day! Although many students like to watch sports, game shows are the most popular.
It is good to relax by using the Internet or watching game shows, but we think the best way to relax is through exercise. It is healthy for the mind and the body. Exercise such as playing sports is fun, and you can spend time with your friends and family as you play together. And remember, “old habits die hard.” So start exercising before it’s too
2c Read the article again and answer the questions.
1. How many percent of the student do not exercise at all? Twenty percent . 2. How many percent of the students use the Internet every day? Ninety percent .
3. How often do most students watch TV? What do they usually watch?
They watch TV every day. They usually watch game shows.
4. What does the writer think is the best way to relax? Why?
Exercise . It is healthy for the mind and the body.
5. Do you think the students at No. 5 are healthy? Why or why not?
No , I don’t think so. Because they watch TV more and exercise less.
Eighty-five percent of the students always watch TV . Forty -five percent of the students usually exercise.
Ten percent of the students often use the Internet. Thirteen percent of the students usually watch TV. Two percent of the students sometimes watch TV .
Talk about your good habits.
I read English books every day.
I always exercise.
I usually help with the housework.
I drink milk every day.
I never stay up late.
about your bad habits.
I watch TV for over two hours every day.
I use the Internet every day.
I often eat hamburgers.
I hardly ever go to the dentist (看牙医).
I don’t like vegetables.
1. however 副词，意为“然而，可是”， 表示转折关系，可放在句首、句中、句 末。 e.g. I was hungry, however, she gave me some water. 我很饿，但她却给了一些水。 My father, however, didn’t drive there. 可是我父亲没有开车去那里。
2. more than，意为“多于”，相当于 over; 其反义词为less than ，意为 “少于” e.g. It never takes more than/over half an hour to get to school. 到达学校用时从未超过半小时。 They’ll stay there for less than three days. 他们将在呆在那里不到三天。
Look at the information in the chart and complete the report.
Activities Days a year
Exercise Read books Drink juice Stay up late Watch TV for over 2 hours Eat hamburgers Help with housework Go to the dentist
365 365 210 15 320 95 20 0
Jane is a 16-year-old high school student in the United States. American Teenager magazine asked her about her habits. Jane has a lot of good habits. She always exercises and she reads books ________. Also, she every day usually ________drinks juice and she __________ hardly ever stays up late.
However, she has some bad habits, too. She always watches TV for more than _______ two hours a day, and she sometimes eats __________ hamburgers. Her parents are not very happy because she __________ ever hardly helps never with housework and she ______ goes to the dentist for teeth cleaning. She says she is afraid.
Complete the chart with your own information. In the last column, use expressions like always, every day, twice a week and never.
Exercise Read books Good Eat fruit habits Drink milk Stay up late
every day always every day twice a week never
Watch TV for over 2 always hours often Eat hamburgers Bad Help with housework hardly ever habits never Go to the dentist
Write a report about your good and bad habits. Say how often you do things. Use the report in 3a as an example.
_________________________________ ________________________________________ ________________________________________ ________________________________________
o to the dentist.
Now, it’s your turn. Try your best.
Take the health quiz. Compare your results with your partner’s. Who’s healthier?
How often do you eat breakfast?
Almost every day.
How often do you eat fast food?
A few times a week.
How often do you eat vegetables and fruit?
A few times a week.
How often do you exercise?
A few times a month.
How many hours do you watch TV every week?
Five or more.
How many hours do you usually sleep at night?
Less than six.
Now. Look at the charts in Page 16 and check the points:
题号 得分 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 总分
Look at the first chart. It says: 4-8 points: You’re smart about health most of the time.
Well. Not do it with your partners.
1. Complete the chart with activities you do and don’t do. What about your mother/father?
I always usually often sometimes hardly ever never
drink tea use the Internet get up early
stay up late
2. Write five sentences using the information above.
1. I always play basketball after school. 2. My father always plays chess on weekends. 3. I usually read books on weekends.
4. My father sometimes drinks tea. 5. I hardly ever watch TV.
6. My father never gets up early.
3. Fill in the blanks in the conversation. usually A: What do Tom and Mike __________ do on weekends? B: They sometimes go to the museum. How often A: ___________ do they go to the shopping center? B: _________ ever. Maybe about twice Hardly a month.
How often A: _________ do they watch TV? B: Mike never watches TV, but Tom every watches TV _________ day. often A: Oh, I’m just like Tom. I ________ watch TV, too.