Unit 1 How do you study for a test?
Try to say as quickly as you can
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 为准备考试而学习 看课本 听磁带 太……而不能 学到许多 大声朗读 要求；请求 制作抽认卡 小组合作学习 提高说(英语)的能力 ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? study for a test read the test-book listen to tapes too…to learn a lot read aloud ask for make flashcards study with a group improve speaking skills
Read 3a on page 4, and find 7 ways of learning English in the article. using English memorizing the words of pop songs watching English movies having conversations with friends reading English magazines studying grammar joining the English club
Read 3a again and fill in the chart.
Ways of learning English Not Successful OK successful Lillian studying memorizing reading the words of Li grammar pop songs English magazines
Ways of learning English Not OK Successful successful Wei watching studying Ming English grammar movies joining Liu having the Chang conversations with friends English clubs
Tell whether the statements are true or false according to the article. ( T ) 1. Many students thought the best way to learn English is to use it. ( F ) 2. Lilian Li thought the best way to learn new words was by memorizing them. ( T ) 3. Lilian Li never studied grammar.
( T ) 4. Wei Ming has learned English for seventy-two months. ( F ) 5. Wei Ming thought watching English movies and studying grammar are great ways to learn a language. ( T ) 6. Joining the English club at school was Liu Chang’s best way to improve her English. ( T ) 7. The students in the club could get lots of practice.
Role play. Student A, pretend to be one of the people in 3a. Student B, interview Student A about learning English.
A: I’m doing a survey about learning English. Can I ask you some questions? B: Sure. A: Great! what’s your name? B: Wei Ming. A: And how do you learn English, Wei Ming? B: I learn English by…
More ways for you: I study by finishing my homework seriously. I study by taking part in English classes after school. （上课外英语班） I study by getting an English tutor. （请 英语家教） I study by taking notes carefully. （认真 记笔记）
Check what you do to learn English. Then interview your partner.
I do this …
My partner does this …
often sometimes never often sometimes never write vocabulary lists read English books/magazin es study grammar
keep an English notebook
I do this …
My partner does this …
often sometimes never often sometimes never listen to tapes ask the teacher questions
watch Englishlanguage TV
1. This week we asked students at New Star High School about the best ways to learn more English. 这周, 我们就学习英语的好办法 问了新星中学的一些学生。
句中动词不定式to learn more English
表达a way to d
e.g. What’s the best way to learn
此外, 表示“(做 )的方法”, 还可用a way
of doing sth. 结构。
e.g. What’s the best way of learning a
Scientists are trying to find ways to
prevent disease. 科学家们正试图找到防止疾病的方法。
2. Lillian Li, for example, said the best ways to learn new words was by reading English magazines. 比如莉莲, 她就说学习单词最好通过 读英文杂志。 介词短语for example意思是“例如”, 用来举例说明。 e.g. Tom, for example, is my good friend.
3. He thinks studying grammar is a great way to learn a language. 他认为学习语 法是学习语言的好方法。 studying grammar是动名词短语, 省略 了连词that的宾语从句studying grammar is a great way … 中作主语。 动名词作主语, 谓语动词要用单数形式。 e.g. Reading is a good habit. 阅读是一个很好的习惯。
4. …he finds watching movies frustrating. ……他发现看电影让人沮丧…… 动词find意思是“发现……处于某种 状 态”，后面可接形容词作宾语补足语， 补充说明宾语。 e.g. I found the job boring. 我发现这工作令人厌烦。 He found the door closed. 他发现门关着。
5. 区别：however与but 二者都意为“可是，但是” ：but是 并列名词，连接两个并列分句，上下二 句在总的意义上构成了对比。but之后一 般不使用逗号。 e.g. I really don’t like cheese, but I will try just a little this time. 我实在是不喜欢吃奶酪，但是这次 我要尝一点。
however不能直接连接两个分句, 必须另 起新句，并用逗号隔开。 however在位于分句之首时，通常用逗 号；位于分句之中时，通常在其前后各加 一个逗号；位于分句之尾时，则必须在其 前加逗号。 e.g. It was raining hard. However, we went out to look for the boy. 雨下得很大，不过我们还是出去寻 找那个孩子。
6. join/ join in/ take part in join 意为“加入某一种组织，成为其 中一员（become a member of）”。join 后面还可接表示人的名词或代词，表示 加入到某人或某些人的活动中去。 e.g. My uncle joined the Party in 1978. 我叔叔是1978年入党的。 We are going for a swim. Will you come and join us? 我们要去游泳， 你来同我们一起去好吗？
join in表示“加入”，“参与”某种 活动，in之后可接名词或动名词。表示 “参加某人的活动”可以说 join sb., in (doing) sth.。 e.g. He joined them in the work. 他同他们一起工作。 Will you join us in playing basketball? 你跟我们一起打篮球好吗？
take part in表示“参加某种活动”， 与 join in同义，一般可以互相替换，但 “参加会议”多用take part in。 e.g. The teacher took part in (或 joined in) our discussion yesterday. 昨天老师参加了我们的讨论。 When will
you take part in the meeting? 你将什么时候参加会议？
1. 他靠教书维生。 He ______ a living ___________. by teaching makes 2. 我发现这份工作非常无聊。 I found the work very boring _____ ______.
3. 你可以用这笔钱来改善你家生活。 improving You can ___ the money for ________ use your home life. 4. 她听到这个消息兴奋起来。 She __________ to learn the news. got excited
Write a short composition about
how to learn English well.