Module 11 Population
Unit 2 It was a quiet country village.
Words and expressions
flat law rubbish tax vision (英)公寓 法律 垃圾 税 景象,幻影
Words and expressions
add 增加 add to 向......增加 fault 错误 police 警察 cure 治愈,治好,治疗
1 Work in pairs and answer the questions.
block countryside crime doctor flat field hospital hill law local office rubbish shop suburb tax village
1 Why do people move to cities? Because they want to look for work and have a better life. 2 What do cities need for the people who live there? Cities need hospitals, schools, houses, flats, shops, police, public transport, clean water... .
3 What changes have there been to your town or city over the last 50 years? The streets became better; there are more shops; a lot of young people went to bigger cities to look for work, so there are less people in my town. 4 What are the problems of cities? Pollution, crime, loneliness, rubbish collection... Are the problems of cities.
3. Choose the best answer. 1 the writer wants to______. a) show the disadvantages of how cities have grown over the years b) show that life in the city can be enjoyable c) describe the dangers of city life d) explain what cities need to give the people who live there
2 Parkville became a suburb of Arnwick because_______. a) no one wanted to live in a village b) people wanted better places to live c) Arnwick grew larger d) people feel safer in large cities
3 “But it’s not her fault” means Jo a) doesn’t want to add to the traffic and pollution b) is unhappy about adding to the problems c) doesn’t choose to go to a school so far away d) feels bad about the traffic and pollution
4 The Writer has written a story probably because a) he’s not interested in facts b) it’s more interesting c) it’s too dangerous to talk about a real city d) it’s clearer than if he describes a real city
4. Answer the questions. 1 Where do you live? In the centre of town, in a suburb, in a village or in. the countryside? 2 What can you see from your classroom window? Fields and hills, or blocks of flats and offices? 3 How close are you to the nearest shops and the local hospital? 4 Who makes the laws in your town? Who pays the taxes? 5 How much crime is there in your town?
6 Write about a problem your city has.
More shops, more jobs, More people people more visitors... More serious More people pollution,more crime, people more crowded...
Words and expressions
1. 罪,罪行[C] He committed a high crime. 他犯下重大罪行。 2. 违反道德的行为,罪过[C] It’s a crime to waste food. 浪费食物是一种罪过。
law n. 1. 法,法律[the S] That is against the law. 那是违反法律的。 2. (个别的)法律,法规[(+against)] The congress passed a new law. 国会通过了一项新法。
1. 垃圾;废物 Our job is to clear away the rubbish. 我们的工作是清除这些垃圾。 2.
废话;无聊的想法 The book is all rubbish. 这本书全是胡扯。
tax n. 1. 税;税金[(+on/upon)] Every citizen must pay taxes. 每个公民都必须纳税。 2. 负担;压力[(+on/upon)] The care of six children was a tax on her energies. 照料六个孩子成了她精力上很大的负担。
vision n. 1. 视力;视觉[U] People wear glasses to improve their vision. 人们戴眼镜以改善视力。 2. 看见;所见事物,景象[C][U] The vision of the table loaded with food made our mouths water. 看见桌上堆满了食物使我们垂涎欲滴。
add vt. 1. 添加;增加[(+to)] The fire is going out, will you add some wood? 火快熄了,请你加些木柴好吗? 2. 将...相加[(+up/together)] If we add these marks up, we'll get a total of 90. 如果我们把这些分数加起来,总数就有 九十分了。
fault n. 1. 缺点,毛病,缺陷 Every man has his faults. 人无完人,金无足赤。 2. 错误 The teacher found many faults in spelling and grammar in my composition. 老师在我作文中发现许多拼写和语法错 误。
police n. 1. 警察,警方 We must inform the police. 我们必须通知警方。 2. 治安,公安
1. too many/too much 太多 too many 后面接可数名词复数形式，而 too much后面接不可数名词。 There are too many TV advertisements in between the program. 这个电视节目中的广告太多了。 Too many goodies will make you sick. 好吃的东西吃得太多也要伤身体.
You stay too much indoors. 你呆在户内的时间太多了。 Too much food induces sleepiness. 吃得太饱会引起睡意。
2. along with sb/sth 相当于together with, “连同，跟……一块儿” There was a bill along with the parcel. 我不想邀请太多的人，因为房间太小了。 California along with Florida is probably the most popular places. 马克不能来看电影了，因为他有很多工 作要做。
3. Thanks to the bad weather, the match had been cancelled. 多亏这个倒霉天气，挺好的比赛取消 了。 Thanks to his strong constitution, Jack was able to pull through his recent serious illness 幸亏他体质好，杰克才得以平安度过 了最近这场大病。
4. room 空间,地方 There isn’t enough room for all the furniture. 没有足够的地方放置全部家具。 The table takes up a lot of room. 这张桌子占去很多地方。
5. protect …from… 保护/防护……不受…… He raised his arm to protect his child from hurt. 他伸出手去，保护他的孩子免受伤害。 An umbrella will protect you from the rain. 雨伞可以保护你不致雨淋。