1． John___ come to see us tonight, but he isn't very sure yet.
A. may B. can C. has to D. must
2． They ___ do well in the exam.
A. can be able to B. be able to C. can able to D. are able to
3． —May I take this book out? —No, you___.
A. can't B. may not C. needn't D. aren't
4． You___ go and see a doctor at once because you're got a fever.
A. can B. must C. dare D. would
5． —Can you speak Japanese? —No, I____.
A. mustn't B. can't C. needn't D. may not
6. – He___ be in the classroom, I think
—No, he ___ be in the classroom. I saw him go home a minute ago.
A. can; may not B. must; may not C. may; can't D. may; mustn't
7． —Shall I get one more cake for you, Dad?
—Thanks, but you___, I've had enough.
A. may not B. must not C. can't D. needn't
8．Even the top students in our class can't work out this problem, so it be very difficult.
A. may B. must C. can D. need
9.He isn't at school. I think he ___ be ill.
A. can B. shall C. must D. has to
10. ___ I take this one?
A. May B. Will C. Are D. Do
11 .The children___ play football on the road.
A. can't B. can C. mustn't D. must
12. You ___ be late for school again next time.
A. mustn't B. needn't C. don't have to D. don't need to
13．—Must I do my homework at once? —No, you___.
A. needn't B. mustn't C. can't D. may not
14. His arm is all right. He___ go and see the doctor.
A. has not to B. don't have to C. haven't to D. doesn't have to
15.He had to give up the plan, ___ he?
A. did B. didn't C. does D. doesn't
16.They had to walk here, ___ they?
A. mustn't B. did C. didn't D. hadn't
17. He had better stay here, ___ he?
A. doesn't B. don't C. hadn't D. isn't
18. You'd better___late next time.
A. not to be B. not be C. won't be D. don't be
19.You'd better ___ your hair ___ once a month.
A. had; cut B. had; cutted C. have; cut D. have; cutted
20.You___ ask that man over there. Maybe he knows the way.
A. had better not to B. had not better C. had better D. had better not
21.—Shall we go and visit the History Museum next Sunday? —________
A. Here you are B. Sorry, I can't C. Yes, please D. Let me try 22 —Why don't you ask Mike to go with us? —Thanks, ___.
A. I will B. I won't C. lean D. I may
23． —___ I take the newspaper away? —No, you mustn't. You____read it only here.
A. Must; can B. May; can C. Need; must D. Must; must
24. Excuse me. ___ you please pass me that cup?
A. Do B. Should C. Would D. Must
25. ___ you like to have another try?
A. Could B. Will C. Would D. Do
26.—Would you like to go boating with us? —Yes, ___.
A. I'd like B. I want C. I'd like to D. I do
27.You___ worry about your son. He will get well soon.
A. needn't B. can't C. mustn't D. have to
28. The poor man needs our help, ___ he?
A. need B. needn't C. does D. doesn't
29. —Must we do our homework first?
—No, you___. You may have a rest first.
A. mustn't B. needn't C. may not D. can't
30. I told Sally how to get here, but perhaps I _______ for her.
A. had to write it out B. must have written it out
C. should have written it out D. ought to write it out
31. —There were already five people in the car but they managed to take me as well. —It _______a comfortable journey.
A. can’t be B. shouldn’t be
C. mustn’t have been D. couldn’t have been
32. It’s nearly seven o’clock. Jack _______ be here at any moment.
A. must B. need C. should D. can
33. Johnny, you _______ play with the knife, you _______ hurt yourself.
A. won’t; can’t B. mustn’t; may shouldn’t; must D. can’t; shouldn’t
34. The fire spread through the hotel very quickly but everyone _______ get out.
A. had to B. would C. could D. was able to
35. —When can I come for the photos? I need them tomorrow afternoon.
—They _______ be ready by 12:00.
A. can B. should C. might D. need
36. —I stayed at a hotel while in New York. —Oh, did you? You _______ with Barbara.
A. could have stayed B. could stay C. would stay D. must have stayed
37. —Are you coming to Jeff’s party? —I’m not sure. I _______ go to the concert instead. A. must B. would C. should D. might
38. I was really anxious about you. You _______ home without a word.
A. mustn’t leave B. shouldn’t have left
C. couldn’t have left D. needn’t leave
39. —Is John coming by train? —He should, but he _______ not. He likes driving his car.
A. must B. can C. need D. may
40. A left-luggage office is a place where bags _____ be left for a short time, especially at a railway station.
A. should B. can C. must D. will
41. I wonder how he _______ that to the teacher.
A. dare to say B. dare saying
C. not dare say D. dared say
42. When he was there, he ___ go to that coffee shop at the corner after work every day.
A. would B. should C. had better D. might
43. It has been announced that candidates _____ remain in their seats until all the papers have been collected.
A. can B. will C. may D. shall
44. How ______ou say that you really understand the whole story if you have covered only a part of the article?
A. can B. must C. need D. may
45. —I hear you’ve got a set of valuable Australian coin. _______ I have a look? —Yes, certainly.
A. Do B. May C. Shall D. Should
46. _____ I go out to play now，Mum? No，you______ ．
47. Help me with this case．_______ you?
A．don’t B．will C．do D．shall
48. They started early that morning in order that they______ there before noon．
A．might get B．may get C．would get D．got 49. A teacher do every exercise，but a pupil________．
A．needn’t，must B．may not，must C．needn’t, needn’t D．can’t, must
50. If you _____ do as I tell you，you______ go to the party．
A．can，shan’t B．will, won’t C．won’t，shall D． won’t, shan’t
51. Don’t believe him．His story ______ be true．
A．mustn’t B．needn’t C．shouldn’t D．may not
52. ---She must have gone back to the valley．
---No, she ____ . The entrance to it was nowhere to be found．
A．mustn’t B．needn't C．couldn’t D．hadn’t
53. You need not do it at once,________?
A．needn’t you B．mustn’t you
C．don’t you D．need you
54. He must be in the classroom．______ he?
A．mustn’t B．can’t C．isn’t D．Can
55. Let’s go to the library．shall we? ________．
A．No，I can’t B．Yes．I will C．Yes，thank you D．No，We’d better not
56. You ought to have called him yesterday．
Yes, I know I_______．
A．ought to B．ought to have
C．ought to have done D．ought to have called
57. ---Why did you keep it a secret from me?
---I ____ about it．
A．should be told B．ought to have been told
C．should have told D．ought to be told
58. The work _______ be finished in such a short time．
A．wasn’t able to B．couldn’t C．ought D．could
59. He looks very tired．He ____ to bed too late last night．
A．must go B．must have gone C．could go D．didn’t go
60. The door ______ lock．
A．can’t B．may not C．won’t D．mustn’t
61. As a soldier，you ______ do as the head tells you．
A．will B．shall C．may D．ought
62. How _____ you be so careless?
A．can B．will C．could D．may
63. I talked for a long time，and in the end I____ make her believe me．
A．could B．can C．must D．was able to
64. Did you scold him for carelessness ? Yes，but _____ it．
A．I’d rather not do B．I’d rather not have done
C．I shouldn’t do D．I’d better not do
65. He needn’t come to attend the meeting．_______ ?
A．didn’t he B．doesn’t he C．need he D．must he
66. Fish _______ die without water．
A．will B．should C．shall D．must
67. We’d better hurry．Our teacher _________ us．
A．wait for B．must wait for
C．must be waiting for D．has waited for
68. I saw him leave the room an hour ago．He ______ at this time．
A．mustn’t be working B．can’t be working
C．can’t work D．may not being working
69. ______ basketball every day?
A．Did you used to playing B．Did you use to play
C．Use you to play D．Used you play
70. Why______ you keep on troubling me with such questions while I am busy ?
A．could B．can C．must D．will
71. ---You were driving at 100km an hour, sir．
---But officer，I____ ，my car can’t go more than 90.
A．may not have been B．couldn’t have been
C．would have been D．needn’t have been
72. You ______ call him if you want to，but you______ ，for he’ll surely come here soon．
A．can，needn’t B．may, mustn’t
C．have to，needn’t D．can, doesn’t need
73. At last he _____ finish the work ahead of time．
A．could B．was able to
C．could have done D．would have been able to
74. There must be some enemy soldiers in the forest.
_______ any behind the church?
A．Must there be B．Should there be C．May there be D．Can there be
75. The shy girl____ dance before so many strangers，
A．daren’t，does B．daren’t，dare C．doesn’t，dare D．dare not．Dares
76. “When ___ he leave the hospital?” I asked the doctor．
A．will B．shall C．can D．may
77. ---They haven’t finished the work up to now．
A．should have B．should C．ought to D．ought have
78. The money was soon spent，so she ______ go hungry．
A．must B．had to C．might D．Should
79. Jack studied hard and _______ pass the examination．
A．could able to B．would C．was able to D．ought
80. You don’t look well，you _______ have a fever．
A．might B．can C．shall D．should
81. You are running a fever，you _____ to see the doctor．
A．need go B．must have gone C．should go D．can go
82. I ______ take the job．No one ____ stop me．
A．will，can B．can，must C．must，can D．will, must
83. There used to be a high tower here，______ ?
A．was there B．wasn’t there C．used there D．usedn’t there
84. Whenever the teacher was not there, the children _______ make a lot of noise．
A．will B．would C．were to D．were going to
85. He must be shy, _______ he?
A. A． must B．mustn’t C．is D．isn’t
86. I must do it, ________ I?
A．do B．don’t C．must D．mustn’t
87. You did not go to the party yesterday, or I ___ you.
A．would see B．could meet C．might have seen D．might see
88. ---How do you like the food here?
---Oh，excellent! We ______ a better hotel．
A．can’t find B．won’t find
C．mustn’t have found D．couldn’t have found
89. ---We were waiting for you this time yesterday．
---Sorry，I ______ you to tell you that I couldn’t come.
A．must have called B．would have been calling
C．could have been calling D．should have called
90. ---Would you mind returning the book tomorrow?
A．Ok，I will B．Sure, I wouldn’t
C．Yes，I wouldn’t D．Why, I wouldn’t
91. See who’s there! _____ it be Mary?
A．May B．Must C．Can D．Will
92. My little son ______ out a1one at night．
A．dares not go B．dares not to go
C．dare not to go D．doesn’t dare to go
93. You ______ miss seeing so good a film，it is one of the best films I’ve ever seen．
A．had better not to B．have better not to
C．had better to not D．had better not
94. It is strange that she _______ so．
A. think B．thinks C．will think D．thought
95. _______ you rather sit at the back?
A．Won’t B．Wouldn’t C．Don’t D．Will
---She ______ to school, for it is Sunday today．
A．can she go，can’t go B. may be go，may not go
C．can she have gone, can’t have gone D．can she go，can’t have gone
97. Since she is angry, we _____．
A．had better to leave her alone B．should leave her alone
C．might as well leave her alone D．must leave her alone
98. ---Do you think he will do me a favour?
---It’s very unlikely，but he ____ be prepared to help you．
A．must B．will C．can D．Might
99. Will you sing a song at the party? No, I_________．
A．wouldn’t B．won’t C．shouldn’t D．shall not
100. My brother used to get up early in the morning，but my sister seldom ______.
A. used to B. did C. used D. both A and B
A. A． Might B. Shall C. Will D. Ought
1. You needn’t telephone him now.
2.They may be discussing problem.
3. She has been able to play it since she was .
4. Yesterday I was able to get home before the heavy rain.
5. People used to think that the earth was flat.
6. She would go out for a walk in the morning when she was in the country.
7. There’s a fine sunset; it ought to be a fine day tomorrow.
A folk tale is a very old story that has been passed down from one family to 1 , from one generation to another. These old stories are often called fairy stories because so many of them are about 2 . Every country has its own folk tales and its own 3 of telling fairy stories.
In Germany, there lived two brothers, the Grimm brothers. They 4 folk tales. These stories are known 5 “Grimm’s Fairy Tales”.
Many of the tales told about the countries near Germany 6 they lived. Some of them were partly 7 . The Grimm brothers did not 8 write the stories for boys and girls. They planned them only for older people living in Germany. 9 when the children heard the stories, they wanted to hear them again and again.
Although all of this happened long long ago, boys and girls everywhere still read and 10 Grimm's tales.
1. A. other B. the other C. others D. another
2. A. children B. girls C. fairies D. Grimm
3. A. way B. place C. custom D. time
4. A. wrote B. collected C. read D. invented
5. A. in B. like C. as D. for
6. A. where B. when C. as D. because
7. A. wrong B. true C. interesting D. good
8. A. quickly B. easily C. really D. regularly
9. A. So B. But C. and D. Generally
10. A. enjoy B. write C. tell D. keep
A sunflower is a sunflower. A mobile phone is a mobile phone. But can you combine the two to do something for your local environment? As early as next year it may well be possible. When you have finished with your mobile phone you will be able to bury (埋葬) it in the garden and wait for it to flower.
A biodegradable (生物可降解的) mobile phone was, this month, introduced by scientists. It is hoped that the new type of phone will encourage users to recycle. Scientists have come up with a new material over the last five years. It looks like any other plastic and can be hard or soft, and able to change shape. Overtime it can also break down into the soil without giving out any poisonous chemicals. British researchers used the new material to develop a phone cover that includes a sunflower seed (种子). When this new type of cover turns into waste, it forms nitrates (硝酸盐). These feed the seed and help the flower grow. Engineers have designed a small transparent (透明的) window to hold the seed. They have made sure it only grows when the phone is thrown away. “We’ve only put sunflower seeds into the cover so far. But we are working with scientists to find out which flowers would perform best. Maybe we could put roses in next time.” Said one scientist.
As phone technology is developing so quickly, people are constantly throwing their mobiles away. This means producers are under pressure (压力) to find ways of recycling them. Some 650 million mobile phones have been sold this year. Most of them will be thrown away within two years, adding plastic, heavy metal and chemical waste to the environment. A biodegradable cover can change this, according to the scientists.
1.After you have finished using the new type of mobile phone, _______.
A. the phone will do harm to the environment
B. the phone cover will break down easily in the soil you bury it
C. it will be recycled by the producers
D. it can be sent back to the shops.
2.Which of the following is wrong about the cover of the new type of phone?
A. It can help the sunflower seed after the mobile phone breaks down.
B. It looks like normal plastics but it can break down.
C. It includes a sunflower seed.
D. It makes sure the seed only grows after the phone is thrown away.
3.The new type of phone can reduce the harm to the environment mainly ______.
A. because of the material of its cover
B. because of the sunflower seed
C. because it’s made of no poisonous chemicals
D. because you bury it in the soil after you finish with it
4.This type of research is done because ________.
A. the technology that produces mobile phones is changing quickly
B. users are constantly throwing their mobiles away.
C. nobody has ever thought of recycling mobile phones
D. producing mobile phones uses a lot of energy, so this has become a very big problem for the environment
5.We can guess from the story ________.
A. the new type of mobile phones is already on the market
B. the new type of mobile phones will sell very well
C. recycling mobile phones is not useful to the environment D. other flowers may be used in the new type of mobile phones
1-5 ADA B 6-10 CDBCA 11-15 CA ADB 16-20 CCBCC 21-25 BABCC 26-30 CADBC 31-35 DCBDB 36-40 ADBDB 41-45 DADAB 46-50 DBAAD 51-55 DCDCD 56-60 BBBBC 61-65 BADBC 66-70 ACBBC 71-75 BABDB 76-80 BABCA 81-85 CADBD 86-90 DCDDD 91-95 CDDAD 96-100 CCDBD
8. Would you mind cleaning the window?
9. You should be polite to your teachers.
10. Won’t you drink some more coffee?
1-5 DCABC 6-10 ABCBA
四、阅读理解 1-5 BDABD