Unit 6 Detective stories
Task 1 Warm up
1. Mike is very _________(谦虚) even though modest he is the top student in our class. 2. The victim ____________(明显) put up a obviously good fight before he was killed.
comparing 3. After _________(比较) David with Martin, I decided to recommend David as our monitor.
4. Her lovely pet dog’s ___________(死) made death her very sad.
Task 1 Warm up
5 This job proved ________(证明) to be much more difficult than I had expected. 6 Orange can bring you _______(成功) and success cheer you up when you are feeling sad. 7 Thank you for _________(倾听) to my listening problem and giving me some advice.
8 In the film Monte Carlo Baby, Audrey’s attracted beauty and charm ________(吸引) the writer’s attention.
Task 2 Presentation直接引语和间接引语 直接引语是直接引述别人的原话，原话用引号，而间接引
直接引语改为间接引语时，主句动词是一般现在时， 则从句中的时态和时间状语不变，但人称要做相应 的变化。如： She says, “ I?ll never forget the moment.” 变成间接引语为： She says that she?ll never forget the moment.
间接引语 （宾语从句） 一般过去时 过去进行时
现在完成时 一般将来时 一般过去时
Pay attention：如果直接引语表达的是客观真理时， 变为间接引语时时态不变。如： The geography teacher said to us，“The earth goes around the sun.” The geography teacher told us that the earth goes around the sun.
Task 3 Practice
Change the sentences into reported speech. 1. “I like apples”, he said.
He said that he liked apples. 2. She said, “I’m doing my homework. ”
She said that she was doing her homework.
3. “I have received the letter,” said Tom. Tom said that he had received the
letter. 4. “I don’t see the cat,” he said. He said that he didn’t see the cat.
5. “I will be late for school,” said Kate.
Kate said that she would be late for school.
Task 4 Time change
We change the adverbials of time when using reported speech. Direct speech Reported speech then that day that night
Direct speech this morning/week tomorrow
Reported speech that morning/week the following
day/the next day
the next week
last month yesterday two days ago
the month before the day before two days before
Task 5 consolidate
How to change the sentences: 1. 直接引语为陈述句时，间接引语 的
“I have lived in the south for yea
rs,” Mrs Li said. Mrs Li said (that) she had lived in the south for years.
“I shall tell him exactly what I think,” she said.
She said (that) she would tell him
exactly what she thought.
2. 直接引语为一般疑问句时，间接引 语的连词用if / whether。如：
He said，“Are you interested in
He asked if I was interested in
He said，“Did you see him last
He asked whether I had seen him
the night before.
3. 直接引语为特殊疑问句时，间接引 语的连词用特殊疑问句本身所带的 疑问词，后面变成陈述句语序。如： “What do you want?” he asked me. He asked me what I wanted. “How can we improve the condition of the soil?” the farmers asked him. The farmers asked him how they could improve the condition of the soil.
Task 6 Exercise in class.
Ⅰ. Complete these sentences.
1. “I am doing some important work,” Mr Smith said. Mr Smith said ____________ some important work. he was doing 2. “who are you looking for?” Tom asked Sandy. who she was Tom asked Sandy ____________ looking for __________ . 3. “Do you want me to help you with your English?” asked he. if I wanted him to He asked _________________ help me with ___ English. my
4. “I want to know if you can learn it by yourselves,” the
The teacher said he/she wanted to know if we _____________ could learn it by ourselves ___________ _________. 5. Our teacher asked if we knew the answer. Do you know “___________ the answer?” our teacher asked. 6. Millie asked where her book was. where is my book Millie asked, “________________?”
II. Multiple choice.
1. Mr Wu said he ________ us to the zoo
A. would take B. will take
table at that time. A. hide C. was hiding
2. The witness said he _____ under the B. have hidden D. hidden
3. The police asked if anyone ____ tell him some information. A. could C. is able to A. how far is it B. can D. will
4. Can you tell me _____? B. how can I get there
C. how can I get to there
D. how I can get there
5. Sandy said she ________ all the work. A. finished B. had finished
C. has finished home.
D. will finish
6. He said he ________ his book at your B. leaves
C. had left
D. was leaving
1 “The girl is very scared.” I heard… I heard (that) the girl was very scared.
2 “The thief is running away.” They told me… They told me (that) the thief was running away. 3 “Light travels faster than sound.” He was told... He was told (that) light travels faster than sound. 4 “The meeting will last for two hours.” He said…
He said the meeting would last for two hours.
5 “I’ve finished my report.” Detective Lu said…
Detective Lu said he had finished his report.
6 “We’ll look for more clues.” They told me… They told me they would look for more clues. 7 “I have to help you with your work.” He told me... He
told me he had to help me with my work. 8 “The earth is round.” Didn’t you know…? Didn’t you know the earth is round?
Task 1 Presentation
Reported speech without tense change.
We can use reported speech to tell people what someone else said. We do not need to change the tense if we are reporting a fact or if the information is still true.
?The sun rises in the east,? said Mr. Wu. Mr. Wu said (that) the sun rises in the east. Detective Lu said, ?We will work hard to find the murderer.?
Detective Lu said that they will work hard to find the murderer.
Task 2 Practice On the phone he left it?s in her
she will call you
Task 3 Check the answer.
Whether/if he had seen the robber (that) he was waiting in the queue at the bank
What the robber looked like
(that) the robber was not tall (that) he had not seen the robber?s face
(that) the robber seemed to be in his mid-thirties Whether/if the witness could tell them
(that) the robber was quite familiar
Finish the exercise in your workbook.