Could you please tell me where the restrooms are?
Section A Period 1
If you need help with your
homework, who would you ask?
1. your mother or father Mom, Can you help me with my homework? 2. your best friend Can you help me with my homework? 3. a teacher Excuse me, sir? Could you please help me with my homework?
Discuss Discuss the language you used to
make this request. Was it the same
If not, discuss why not.
1a Where can you do the following things? Match each thing with a place in the picture.
__buy shampoo __get some information about the town __get some magazines __buy some writing paper __make a telephone call __buy some stamps __get a dictionary __save money
save money Could you tell me where I can save money?
buy some stamps Could you tell me where I can buy some stamps ?
buy shampoo buy some writing paper Could you please tell me ________?
get some magazines get a dictionary get some information about the town
Do you know where I can _________?
1b Listen and complete the conversations.
Sure. Excuse me . Do There’s a ____ you know where I bank on ________ can __________? Main Street save money _. Excuse me. Yes. There’s a post office Could you tell me _________ on where I can ____________. Center Street ______________ buy some stamps
1. Could you please tell me where the restrooms are? 请你告诉我厕所在哪儿好吗？ Could you…？是个句型，could在此 不是过去形式，它此时表示语气婉转、 有礼貌。
在希望得到肯定答复的疑问句中，以 及在含有表示建议、请求和征求意见 语气的疑问句中, 常用some和 something，而不用any和anything。 【例】 (1) Could you lend me your motorbike, please? 请把你的摩托车借给我好吗？
(2) Could you tell me something about
yourself．请谈谈你自己好吗？ (3) Would you like to have some apples? 你们要吃苹果吗？
(4) What about saying something about
(5) Will you please give the poor boy
something to eat?
2. Can you please tell me where I can get
Can you please tell…，是个句型，它
后面可跟宾语从句，也可跟不定式结构。 can可换成could, would, will。
(1) Could you please tell me where we show our tickets? 请告诉我在哪儿验票好吗？ (2) Would you tell me how much it costs to fly to Canada? 你能告诉我乘飞机去加拿大要 多少钱吗？
(3) Will you tell me when we will have a meeting? 请告诉我我们什么时候开会好吗? (4) Can you tell me who the old man is? 你能告诉我那位老人是谁吗?
(5) Could you tell me how to get to the post office? 你能告诉我到邮局怎么走吗？ (6) Can you tell me what to do next? 你能告诉我下一步怎么做吗？
A: Excuse me. Can you please tell me where I can __
B: Sure. There’s a ______ on River Road.
2a Listen. You will hear some
of the directors below.
Number the directions in the
order that you hear them.
blank Take the elevator to the second floor. ____ 2 ____ Turn left. 1 ____ Take the escalator to the second floor. blank Turn right. _____ 4 ____ The drugstore is between the
furniture store and the bookstore.
3 ____ Go past the bank.
next to… on the right
A A B
How to get to… Turn left. Turn right.
Go / Walk straight on until…
Go past… take the subway \ bus\…
2b Listen again. Show how the boy
walks to the drugstore. Draw a
line on the picture.
Exercises for road signs
He must _______ if He must _________ turn left turn right she wants to go to if she wants to go to the cinema. the post office.
Could you tell me where the post office is ?
between the hotel and the bank
on Bridge Street
Park beside the bank / next to the bank in front of the library on the left of the bank
across from the park
1. Take the elevator to the second floor. 乘电梯上二楼。 take在此表示“搭、乘”的意思。【例】
(1) He told me to take an express. 他叫我搭乘特别快车。 (2) She takes a bus to work every day. 她每天乘公共汽车上班。
在美国和英国，对楼层的说法是不 一样的, 请对比：
美国 一楼 on the first floor 二楼 on the second floor 三楼 on the third floor 英国 on the ground floor on the first floor on the second floor
2. The drugstore is between the furniture store and the bookstore． (1)between prep. “在……两者之间”, 常 与and连用。例如： Do you know the difference between the two verbs“bring”and“take”? 你知道bring和take这两个动词的区别 吗?
(2)among prep．“在……当中”，指三 者或三者以上之间。例如： They saw a village among the hills． 他们看到群山中有个村庄。
3. Do you know where I can exchange money？ 你知道我在哪可以换钱吗？ exchange money指的是两种不同的币 种间的交换。 如: exchange Pounds for Dollars 用英磅换美元 exchange作为n.是外币兑换本金之意。
4. The bank is next to the bookstore． 银行在书店的隔壁。 next to是“贴近，隔壁”的意思。 【例】 (1) The house standing next to ours is a cinema． 我们隔壁的那幢房子是一家电影院。
(2) Who is crying in the room next to
A: Excuse me. Do you know where I can …? B: Sure. There’s a … on the …floor. Take the escalator to the … floor and turn…
? Can you tell me where I can get a _____ dictionary ? ? Do you know who he is? ___ ? I don’t know _____ he is from. where
Can you tell me where I can get a dictionary?
I don’t know when he will come.
Can you tell me where he lives?
Do you know why he is late?
【运用】 把下列每组句子改为含宾语从句的复 合句，每空一词。 1. He said, “I have been to America”. He saidthat he had _____ to America. ___ __ ___ been 2. Is there a hotel near here? Do you know? Do you know __________ there __ a if / whether ____ is hotel near here?
3. What sport do you like best? Could you please tell me? Could you please tell me what sport ____ _____ you like best _______ _____? 4. “The earth moves around the sun”, our English teacher told us. Our English teacher told us that the earth _____ _______ the sun. moves around
Make a conversation about asking for information of
ways in polite ways.
Daily’s department store