1. 单数可数名词或代词，不可数名词作主语时，谓语动词用单数形式; 复数名词或代词作主语，谓语动词用复数形式。
The desk is made of wood. She is an English teacher.
No news is good news. 没有消息就是好消息。
The students are playing football on the playground.
They are my best friends.
2. many a +单数可数名词作主语，意义虽为“许多”，但谓语动词要用单数形式。试比较： Many a student has been to Shanghai.
Many students have been to Shanghai.
3. more than one +单数可数名词作主语时，谓语动词用单数。
more than +基数词 +复数名词作主语时,谓语动词用复数。
More than one student has been to Beijing. 不止一个学生曾去过北京。
More than 20 students have been to Beijing. 20多名学生曾去过北京。
4. 表示时间、距离、金钱等名词作主语时，通常被看作一个整体，谓语动词用单数形式。 Twenty years is not a long time.
Two hours is enough for us to finish the experiment.
Ten miles isn’t a long distance. 1 0英里并不是一段很长的距离。
Five dollars is enough. 五美元足够了。
5. 主语是each / every+单数可数名词+ and each / every +单数可数名词时，谓语动词用单数。 Each boy and each girl has got a book.
Every boy and every girl likes the film star.
6. 主语后跟有with, as well as, together with, along with, except, but（除?之外）等时, 谓语动词要与主语保持一致。
Mike with his father has been to England.
She as well as her friends wants to go shopping.
The girls as well as Tom are watching TV.
Everyone except Bill and Tom was there when the meeting began.
Nobody but two boys was late for class.
Doing eye exercises is good for your eyes.
To see is to believe. 眼见为实。
Whether he will come or not is still a question.
8. 不定代词somebody, someone, something, anybody, anything, everybody, everyone, everything, nobody, no one, nothing作主语时, 谓语动词用单数。
Somebody is waiting for you at the school gate.
Everything goes very well. 一切顺利。
Is everyone here today? 今天大家到齐了吗？
Something is wrong with his bike.
Nobody was in. 没有人在家。
9. each, either, neither作主语时，谓语动词用单数。
Each of us has a book. ( = We each have a book.主语同位语)
Either of the stories is interesting.
Neither answer is correct. 两个答案都不正确。
Neither of them is interested in English.
The writer and the teacher have come.
The writer and teacher has come.
11. a number of +复数名词= many, 作主语谓语动词用复数；
the number of +复数名词, 表示“??的数量”，作主语时，谓语动词用单数。
A number of students are interested in English.
The number of the students in our class is over fifty.
12. an amount of +不可数名词= much, 意思是“许多”，作主语时，谓语动词用单数。 There is an amount of sand in the river.
the amount of +不可数名词, 表示“??的数量”，作主语时，谓语动词用单数。
Please tell me the amount of the money.
The amount of the money is one million dollars.
There is a great amount of work for us to do.
13. the +形容词表示一类人时，谓语动词用复数形式。
The old are taken good care of in our country.
14. 复数名词glasses, shoes, trousers, jeans, shorts等作主语
---How much are the shoes? --- Five dollars is enough.
--How much is the pair of the shoes? -- Five dollars is enough.
This pair of glasses is new.
15. people, police等集体名词作主语，谓语动词用复数形式。
The people in the city are very friendly.
The police are searching for the thief.
My family is a happy one. 我的家庭是一个幸福的家庭。
My family is a big one. 我的家庭是一个大家庭。
My family are watching TV. 我的家人在看电视。
My family are having lunch now. 我的家人在吃午饭。
There is a sheep on the hill.
There are many deer on the hill.
18. 有些名词虽然以s 结尾，但本身并不表示复数意义，谓
语动词通常用单数形式，如news, maths, physics等，
No news is good news. 没有消息就是好消息。
Maths is very popular in our class. 在我们班数学很受欢迎。
Physics is much more difficult than maths.
19. one and a half +复数名词作主语，谓语动词用单数形式。
One and a half hours is enough. 一个半小时足够了。
One and a half apples is left on the table.
1) 关系代词who / that / which在定语从句中作主语时，从句的谓语动词必须和先行词保持一致。
She is the girl who learns English well.
Do you know the boys that learn English well?
2) one of +复数名词+ who / that / which引导的定语从句，引导词在定语从句中作主语时，谓语动词用复数。
He is one of the boys who are never late for school.
21. 分数或百分数+ of短语作主语时，谓语动词要依据介词
40 percent of the doctors are women.
Three fourths of the work has been finished.
22. all, some, half, the rest等+ of短语作主语时，谓语动词
All of the students like playing football.
Some of my friends are interested in chemistry.
Half of the work has been finished.
The rest of the books are mine.
The rest of the money is yours.
1) all单独使用指人时, 意思是“全体，大家”。作主语时，谓语动词用复数。
All are present. 大家都在。
All are happy to hear the news. 大家听到这个消息都很高兴 。
2) all单独使用指物时, 意思是“一切，全部”。作主语时，谓语动词用单数。
All goes well. 一切进展顺利。
Both Tom and Mike are interested in English.
Both you and he are my good friends.
25. 在there be句型中，如果有并列的两个名词作主语时，谓语动词应根据就近原则，与最靠近它的那个主语保持一致。
There is a pen and two books on the desk.
There are two books and a pen on the desk.
26. 由连词either?or, neither?nor, not only?but also等连接的并列主语，谓语动词应根据就近原则，与最靠近它的那个主语保持一致。
Either you or I am right.
Neither you nor she knows the answer.
Not only she but also I do morning exercises every day.
Here are some flowers and a card for you.
Here is a letter and some books for you.
( )1. More than one student _____ been to Beijing.
A. has B. have C. had D. having
( )2. Both Lily and Lucy ____ to the party yesterday.
A. invited B. was invited C. had invited D. were invited
( )3. At the end of the party, __ of the girls was given a small gift.
A. every B. each C. all D. both
( )4. This pair of glasses ______mine.
A. are B. be C. is D. will be
( )5. Nobody but Jane _____ the secret.
A. know B. knows C. have know D. is
( )6. That place is not interesting at all, ___of us wants to go there.
A. neither B. both C. all D. some
( )7. Everyone except Tom and John _____there when the meeting began.
A. are B. is C. were D. was
( )8. Maths _______ my favorite subject. A. be B. is C. am D. are
( )9. Two days _______enough for me to finish the work, I need a third day.
A. isn’t B. is C. aren’t D. are
( )10. The number of the students in our school _____3000.
A. is B. are C. has D. have
( )11. Nobody ____to smoke in the cinema.
A. allows B. allow C. is allowed D. are allowed
( )12. Each of us ___ a new book. A. is B. are C. have D. has
( )13. All but one _____ here just now.
A. is B. was C. has been D. were
( )14. There _____ a lot of good news in today’s newspaper.
A. is B. are C. has D. were
( )15. There ____ a pair of shoes left. A. are B. is C. has D. have
( )16. There ____ a number of teachers in our school, but the number of the women teachers ____
A. are; are B. are; is C. is; are D. is; is
( )17. Not only Tom but also Alice and Mary ____ busy.
A. is B. was C. are D. has
( )18. Neither Mary nor her brother____ good at singing.
A. is B. are C. is not D. are not
( )19. Every boy and every girl ___ to take part in the competition.
A. wishes B. wish C. are going D. are
( )20.---Would you like some juice or milk?
---____ is OK. I don’t mind.
A. Either B. Neither C. Both D .All
( )21. ___of us has an English--Chinese dictionary.
A. Every B. Both C. Each D. All
( )22. Many a student ______the importance of learning a foreign language.
A. have realized B. have been realized C. has realized D. has been realized
( )23. ___ of them is a teacher. They are both students.
A. Neither B. Either C. All D. Both
( )24. The singer and dancer ____ yet.
A. don’t come B. haven’t come C. didn’t come D. hasn’t come
( )25. Mr Green with his wife __ sitting there when I came in.
A. is B. was C. are D. were
( )26. Seventy percent of the students here ____ from the countryside.
A. is B. are C. comes D. has come
( )27. John and his uncle ____ going hiking tomorrow.
A. be B. am C. is D. are
( )28. Your trousers ____ dirty, you must have ____ washed.
A. is, them B. are, it C. are, them D. is, it
( )29. How time flies! Three years ____ really a short time.
A. is B. are C. was D. were
( )30. Miss Wang together with her friends ____ shopping every Sunday afternoon.
A. go B. went C. going D. goes
1. We each__________( have) an English-Chinese dictionary.
2. Every teacher and every student _____ (need) to learn how to use the computer.
3. Many a student___(watch) the football match at the moment.
4. To see______(be) to believe.
5. Looking after children _____(be) her job.
6. Whether he will come or not _____(be) still a question.
7. There ___(be) two pieces of paper on the floor.
8. This kind of books _______(sell) well.
9. Two hours ____(be) enough for us to finish the experiment.
10. The Chinese people ____(be) a great people(民族).
11. The number of the students in our school _____(be) 1800.
12. Everybody but my sisters _________( know) the secret.
13. Everybody except Tom and John ______(be) there when the meeting began.
14. Both Lily and Lucy _____(invite) to the party yesterday.
15. The whites _________(live ) in China for ten years.
16. About 70 percent of the students in the university _____(come)
from the north and the rest _____ (be) from the south.
17. A number of students in my class ____ (like) playing football.
18. Three fifths of the workers here ______(be) women.
19. Not only she but also I ____ (do) morning exercises every day.
20. Five hundred miles ____ (be) a long way.
21. There _____(be) a car and three buses outside.
22. To read English loud _____ (be) very important.
23. Listen, someone _____ (sing).
24. Everyone ____( have) his own hobby.
25. Each of them ____ (have) a book.
26. Neither of them ____ (be) right.
27. When I came into the room, his family ___(watch) TV.
28. Tom and I ____ in the same class (be).
29. My trousers _____ white and his clothes ____ black (be).
30. There _____ (be) three pairs of glasses on the table.