Unit 2 Poems
Answer keys for excise 1 on page 12:
1 2 3 4 5 6 dead high sing today lace true lead sky ring away race too red pie wing say face shoe thread my thing play case canoe fed fly king lay chase blue said shy fling tray place bed lie string may space
Answer keys for excise 2 on page 12:
nursery, contradictory, rhymed, forms, pattern, conveyed, minimum, translations, ran out of, cottage
? ? ? ? ? 1. B 2. A 3. B 4. A 5. A
Using words and expressions
Answer key for Exercise 1:
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8.
flexibility; able, ability translate; education, educate transform; relaxation, relax sorrow; faithful, faith darkness; ill, illness salty; wind, windy endless; care, careless warmth; wide, width
Answer key for Exercise 2:
When I see a bride and bridegroom coming out of the church
When my brother got his scholarship to study abroad on an exchange programme When my friends eventually won the basketball championship for our area When I was the pianist in our school band last summer
When my mother got her diploma to become a librarian When my father said her would be my sponsor to raise money for the Hope Project When a world famous violinist came to our school to give a concert When I saw a sparrow collecting twigs to build its nest When…
Suggested answer to Exercise 3:翻译题 1. In the second section of the report many concrete problems are mentioned, and they must be solved at once. 2. He’ll prepare a special drink for you that is made up of fresh fruit juice, yoghurt and eggs.
3. You’ll get better more quickly if you take it easy for a while. 4. If Emily had not teased the cat, the beautiful vase would not have been knocked over.
5. He loves poems, in particular Tang poems. 6. I would like to try out that new Sichuan restaurant round the corner. 7. There is bare minimum of furniture in that cottage. 8. She is afraid of snakes. When she sees one, she always lets out a scream. 9. Do not forget to put in a compass when you load the box for expedition.
Answer key for Exercise 4:
1. Bats’ wings are 2. Her dress is
3. Cars on the road far away look
4. Her tears fell A. like rain. B. like bits of umbrella. C. as white as snow D. as busy as a bee E. like ants hurrying home.
5. His father is often
1. Life is
2. Her trust was
3. A smile is
4. Sorrow is 5. His words became A. a sunny morning. B. a ship on the ocean meeting both sunny and stormy days C. his comfort D. a compass for his life E. a grey sky every day.
Discovering useful structures
Answer key for Exercise 2:
1. If you had come earlier, E you would not have missed the exciting scene in the movie. 2. If Rob hadn’t injured himself, A we would have won.
3. If there had not been an exchange programme. D he would not have found a sponsor to help him study abroad.
4. If she had studied harder, B she would have got the diploma. 5. If the poet had not written such a beautiful poem about this place, C
it would not have become so famous
Answer key for Exercise 3:
1. had paid, would not have missed 2. would lend, had
3. won, would spend
4. didn’t write, would spend 5. were, would take it easy 6. had been, would have felt
Answer key for Exercise 1:
1. D 2. A
4. B 5. C
Answer key for Exercise 2:
1. If Shirley didn’t eat too much salty food, she would not get high-blood pressure.
2. If she had known how to convey her feelings well in a poem, I wouldn’t have helped her.
3. If there had not been a lack of concrete evidence, Clive wouldn’t have been released.
4. If she hadn’t read many beautiful poems, her writing skills wouldn’t have gradually improved. 5. If the poem had had an appropriate ending, she would have won the competition.
6. If he hadn’t worked hard for a long time, she wouldn’t have translated the Chinese poem into English eventually.
Suggested answers to Exercise 3:
1. I would have loved you if you had been interested in me. 2. If my parents had a million dollars, we would go on a trip around the world. 3. Wouldn’t it be great if there were no wars on this planet? 4. If she had taken her teacher’s advice, her English would have improved a lot by now. 5. If I were brave, I’d go parachuting. 6. Tony would have got into the team if he had been a year older.
I wouldn’t have gone If you had called me, I wouldn’t have gone If the bell hadn’t rung, I would have waited If my friends hadn’t needed my help, I would have been there. If it hadn’t been lunchtime, I wouldn’t have missed you If I had known, I would have come to meet you I’m so sorry!
Writing a poem can be fun! 1. On the first line write a noun of your choice. The noun should relate to healthcare-see below for some ideas. 2. On the second line write two adjectives joined by and to describe this noun. 3. On the third line write a verb and an adverb to describe this noun in action.
Subjunctive Mood 虚拟语气
虚拟语气的用法: 1. 用于条件状语从句中:
构 主从 虚拟条件 成句 例 句 主 句 从句 时态 与现 If + 主语 主语 + would/ If I had time, I 在事实 + 动词过 should/could/ would attend the 相反的 去时 (be might + 动词 meeting. 假设 用 were) 原形
与过 If + 主语 去事实 + had + 相反的 过去分词 假设
主语 + would/ If you had taken should/could/ my advice, you’d might + have have passed the exam. + 过去分词
构 主从 虚拟条件 成句 从句 时态 ①If + 主语 + 动词的过 与将 去时 来情况 ② If + 主语 相反的 + were to 假设 + 动词原形 ③ If + 主语 + should + 动词原形
主语 + would/ should/ could/ might + 动词原形
If you came tomorrow, we would have the meeting. If it were to rain tomorrow, we would put off the sports meeting. If he should not come tomorrow, we would put off the meeting till next week.
从句: if + had +过去分词 主句: would/ could/should/might have + 过去分词 ? If I had worked harder at school, I’d have got a better job. ? 如果我在学校更用功一些,我可以找到更好的 工作. ? 可以把从句该为到装结构而省略if ,例如:
? If I had worked harder at school, I’d have got a better job. ? == Had I worked harder at school, I’d have got a better job. If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would not have believed it. = Had not seen it with my own eyes, I would not have believed it.
2.错综时间条件句 ? 主句谓语和从句谓语发生的时间不同,分别 选用相应的谓语形式. ? 如果你听了我的话,你现在也不会有这样的 麻烦了. ? If you’d listened to me, you wouldn’t be in such trouble now. 与过去事实相反; 与现在事实相反
? 句子不 一定有条件从句,只是一介词短语,但谓 语仍然用虚拟语气. ? 要不是你帮助,我是不会取得这些成绩的. ? Without your help, I couldn’t have achieved all this. ? ==Had it not been for your help, I couldn’t have achieved all this. 与过去事实相反;
? 听他讲话,你会以为他是首相. ? To hear him talk, you’d think he was Prime Minister. 与现在事实相反 ? == If you could hear him talk,… ? 要不是有养老金,他都要饿死了. ? But for his pension, he would starve. ? ==If he had no pension,…
1.If I knew you were coming, I ______you ___________my love to your parents. A. would have asked, convey B. Would ask, convey C .would have asked, to convey D .would ask, to convey 表示与过去事实相反的假设
2. He has a talent for writing poems. He _________the first prize if he ___________more. A . could won, practised B. will won, practised C. could won, practise D .will won, practise 表示与现在事实相反的假设
3. If I ________more about diamond, I_________ cheated by that man. A .had known ,would not be B .knew, would not have been C .had known ,would not have been D .had known, would never be 表示与过去事实相反的假设
4.Your pet dog _____like you more, if you ________him better. A .would, treated B .could, had treated C .can, treated D .would, treat 表示与现在事实相反的假设
5.I ________the trouble if only I _______my parents. A .would have avoided, listen to B .will have avoided, listened to C .would have avoided, had listened to D .shall have avoided, listen to
6.If the cat __________the sparrow, it________ into the pond. A .hadn’t teased, would not have fallen B .hasn’t teased, would not have fallen C .hadn’t teased, did not fall D .hadn’t teased, won’t have fallen 表示与过去事实相反的假设
7. I _______the award, only if I_______ the poem more loudly. A .could get, had recited B .would get, had recited C .w
ould have got, recited D .would have got, had recited 表示与过去事实相反的假设,表示后悔.自责的意思
? 8. If he _______tomorrow, we _______the meeting till next week ? A should not come , would put off ? B does not come, would put off ? C comes, will put off ? D came, would put off 表示与将来情况相反的假设