Unit10. By the time I got outside, the bus had already left. Ⅰ. New words and phrases
1. by the time 直到…时候
By the time we got to his house, he had finished supper.
2. 英语中表示“把某物遗忘在某处”常用 leave + 地点 ,而不是forget+地点 Eg. Unluckily, I left my book at home不幸的是，我把书忘在家里了。
3. close v. 关 adv. 接近地 靠近地 closed adj. 关的
4. come out 出来
5. on time 按时 准时 既不早也不迟 in time 及时 指在时限到来之前
6. luckily adv. 幸运地 lucky adj. 幸运的 luck n. 好运
7. give sb. a ride 让某搭便车 如：
Eg. He often gives me a ride to school. 他经常让我搭便车去学校。
8.only just 刚刚好、恰好
9. go off (闹钟)闹响 The alarm went off just now. 刚才警钟响了。
10. break down 坏掉
11. fool n. 傻子 呆子 v. 愚弄 欺骗 如： He is a fool. 他是一个呆子。 Eg. We can?t fool our teach. 我们不能欺骗我们的教师。(动词)
12. show up 出现 出席 She didn?t show up last night. 昨晚她没有出现
13. invite sb. to do sth. 邀请某人做某做事 如：
Eg. My friend invited me to watch TV. 我的朋友邀请我看电视。
14. set off 激起 出发 set up 建立
15. ①so … that 如此…以致于
②so that作“为了”时，引导目的状语从句，从句常出现情态动词， 作结果状语从句时，从句中一般不用情态动词 。
Eg. She got up early so that she could catch the bus.
She was so sad that she couldn?t say a word. 她悲伤得一句话也说不出来。(结果状语从句)
16. flee from 从…逃跑 避开
Eg. They fled from their home. 他们从他们的家里逃了出来。
17. thrill v . 使人非常激动，使人非常紧张
thrilled adj. 指某人感到激动或感到紧张
thrilling adj. 指某事物使人心情激动
18. get married 结婚
19. convince v. 使信服 convincing adj. 令人信服的
20. land v. 着落
21. be late for 迟到
22. a piece of 一片/块/张 eg. a piece of paper/ bread 一张纸/ 一块面包 Grammar(The past perfect)
Eg. He said he had been to Beijing twice. 他说他已经去过北京两次。（因为“说”said就是过去式，而去北京的动作发生在说said 的过去，所以用过去完成时）
（1）By the end of last year…. By the end of last term, we had learned 5000 new words.
（2）by the time sb. +动词过去式 The bus had already left by the time I got there.
③一般疑问句：Had+主语+过去分词? 肯定回答：Yes,主语+had. 否定回答：No,主语+had not . ④特殊疑问句：特殊疑问词或词组+一般疑问句（Had+主语+过去分词）？
（1）表示在过去某一时刻或动作以前完成了的动作，也可以说过去的时间关于过去的动作。即“过去的过去”。可以用by, before等介词短语或一个时间状语从句来表示，也可以用一个表示过去的动作来表示，还可能通过上下文来表示。 Eg. By nine o?clock last night, we had got 200 pictures from the spaceship.
Eg. I had been at the bus stop for 20 minutes when a bus finally came.
He said he had worked in that factory since 1949.
Eg. Mr. Smith died yesterday. He had been a good friend of mine.
I didn?t know a thing about the verbs, for I had not studied my lesson.
Eg. I returned the book that I had borrowed.
She found the key that she had lost.
（5）过去完成时常常用在told,said,knew,heard,thought等动词后的宾语从句（或间接引语）中，这时从句中的动作发生在主句表示的过去的动作之前。 Eg. He said that he had known her well./ I thought I had sent the letter a week before.
（6）状语从句：在过去不同时间发生的两个动作中，发生在前，用过去完成时；发生在后，用一般过去时。如when,before,after,as soon as,till/until引导的。
“No, sir.” One man answered. “We?re on the 5 coast (海岸线) here, and the sun sets in the west.
We can get you a sunrise, but not a sunset.”
“But I want a sunset!” the director said 6 . “Go to the airport , take the next 7 to the west coast, and get one.”
But then one of them had an idea. “Why don?t we film a sunrise and then put it 8 the projector (放映机) backwards? Then it?ll 9 a sunset.”
“That?s a 10 idea!” the director said. Then he 11 to the other men and said, “Tomorrow morning I want to get me a beautiful sunrise.”
The group of men went out early the next morning and filmed a bright sunrise. Then at nine o?clock they 12 it to the director. “Here it is, sir.” They said, and showed it to him. He liked it very much.
They all went into the studio (摄影棚). “All right,” the director said, “Now our players are going to say goodbye. Run the film backwards through the projector so that we can 13 the ?sunset? behind them.”
The ?sunset? began, 14 after a quarter of minute, the director suddenly put his face in his hands and shouted to the men to stop.
The birds in the film were flying backwards, and the waves on the sea were 15 the beach
( )1. A. from B. in C. cover D. off
( )2. A. them B. it C. the sea D. the director
( )3. A. called B. found C. told D. sent
( )4. A. brought B. chosen C. got D. made
( )5. A. east B. west C. south D. north
( )6. A. worriedly B. angrily C. friendly D. sadly
( )7. A. train B. taxi C. ship D. flight
( )8. A. onto B. inside C. through D. under
( )9.A. feel like B. look like C. become D. change
( )10.A. modern B. strange C. common D. wonderful
( )11.A. listened B. hurried C. turned D. rushed
( )12.A. posted B. took C. left D. moved
( )13.A. see B. try C. push D. feel
( )14. A. and B. but C. then D.
1. dictionary 2. keeping 3. hundreds 4. widely 5. surprised/sad/sorry 6. discovered
7. laid 8. disappearance 9. Smoking 10. cheered
V. 完成句子 :
1. When; was; made 2. filled with; become/get 3. number; students; is over
4. How long have; had 5. in the future 6. most famous scientists
VI. 完形填空： 1—5. CBDCA 6—10. BDABC
VII. 阅读理解: ( A ) 1—5. CBDAD ( B ) 6—10. BCCDA
( C )11. Four kinds.
12. Shopping in a shop, shopping from catalogs, TV shopping and computer shopping.
13. Get online or turn on the computer.
14. No. Because about 37% of American families now have computers.
15. Computer shopping. Because people can not only shop for anything at any time, but also anywhere in the world.
1. What are you going to do?/What do you plan to do?/How are you going to spend your summer holiday?
2. I have not made up my mind/decided/thought about it.
3.How are you going there/Are you going by train or by plane?
4. There are so many/a lot of beautiful places to visit
5. I hope you will enjoy your trip/have a pleasant trip/journey/a good time
When I was passing the bus station on my way home, I found a little girl alone crying. For she was lost and looking for her mother. I went up and asked her why. But she just shook her head and kept crying. Then I took her to the Station Broadcasting Room for help. “Anyone who lost a child, please come to our broadcasting room…” was soon heard again and again.
Minutes later, a worried mother came. The girl ran to her happily. The mother was very thankful and asked for my name. With a smile, I answered, “I?m but a League member.”