What’s the date today?
Whose birthday is today?
Can you come to my party?
于发出邀请。当同意接受对方的邀请时， 常用Sure, I’d love to / Certainly / Of course等来回答；若不接受，常用 Sorry等来有礼貌地拒绝，一般情况下 需要说明不能接受邀请的原因以表示歉 意。例如：
—Can you come to my birthday party tomorrow？ 明天你来参加我的生日聚会，好吗？ Sure, I’d love to. 当然，我很乐意。 —Sorry, I can’t. I have to go to the doctor. 很抱歉，我要去看医生。
Section A Period One
have the flu
meet my friend
help my parents
go to the doctor
prepare for an exam
1a Match the phrases with the pictures [a-e]. 1. prepare for an exam a e 2. help my parents ___ d 3. go to the doctor ___
b 4. meet my friend ___
c 5. have the flu ___
1b Listen and write the names (Tim, Kay, Anna and Wilson) next to the correct students in the picture.
1c You are the students in the picture. Student A, invite three students to your party. Student B, C and D, give answers.
A: Can you come to my party on Saturday afternoon? B: Sure, I’d love to. C: Sorry, I can’t. I have to prepare for an exam. D: I’m sorry, too. I must go to the doctor. Group
How to accept an invitation(接受)
? ? ? ? ? Yes, I’d love/like to. Certainly, I’d love/like to. Sure, I’d love/like to. Thanks for your invitation. Thanks for asking me.
How to decline an invitation(拒绝)
? ? ? ? ? I’m sorry, I can’t. I have to… I’d love to, but I have to… Sorry, I can’t. I’m going to the movies. Thanks for your invitation. Thank you for asking me.
2a. Listen and circle can or can’t.
1. Jeff can/ can’t go to the party.
2. Mary can/ can’t go to the party. 3. May can/ can’t go to the party.
4. Mei Ling can/ can’t go to the party.
5. Paul can/ can’t go to the party.
2b. Listen again. Who can’t go to the party? Why ? Complete the chart.
names Jeff May
reasons He might have to meet his friend on Saturday. She has the flu. She must study for a math test.
Look at the reasons in the chart in 2b. Write some more. Then, Student A, invite your partner to do something. Student B, say you can’t go and why.
too much 1.____________
______________ homework 2.____________ 3. ____________ 4. ____________
A: Hey, Dave. Can you go to the movies on Saturday? B: I’m sorry. I’m not available. I have too much homework this weekend. A: That’s too bad. Maybe another time. B: Sure, Joe. Thanks for asking.
Read the conversation and answer the questions.
1. What did they do last fall? ___________________________________ They went bike riding. 2. What does Nick have to do on Monday?
Nick has to prepare for an exam. _______________
3. When will they hang out?
On Monday night. ___________________________________
2d Role-play the conversation.
Jeff: Hey, Nick, can you come to my house on
Saturday? My cousin Sam from Xi’an is
going to be here.
Nick: Oh, Sam! I remember
we went bike riding together
last fall when he visited you.
Jeff: Yes, that’s right.
Nick: I’d love to come, but I’m afraid I can’t. I have an exam on Monday so I must prepare for it.
Jeff: That’s really too bad! Oh, but Sam isn’t
leaving until next Wednesday. Can you
hang out with us on Monday night?
Nick: Sure! Catch you on Monday!
? What’s the date today? (December 25th) ? What special day is it? (Christmas Day)
Can you come to my party on Saturday? Can you go to the movies tomorrow night?
Sure, I’d love to. Sorry, I must study for a math test. Sure. That sounds great. I’m afraid not. I have the flu.
Can he go to the party? No, he can’t. He has to help his parents. Can she go to the baseball game? No, she’s not available. She must go to the doctor.
Can they go to the movies?
No, they’re not free. They might have to meet their friends.
Complete the answers with might 3a and one of the phrases in the box.
watch TV, on the weekend, my cousin, visit my grandparents, practice the violin
1. A: What are you going to do on Saturday? watch TV B: I’m not sure. I might __________. 2. A: What are you planning to do after school? B: I don’t know. I might practice the violin ______________________.
3. A: When will you finish the science homework? I might finish it on the weekend B: ______________________________. 4. A: Who are you going to the movies with? B: __________________________. I might go with my cousin 5. A: Are you free to come to my place on Saturday? B: Sorry. I might visit my grandparents ________________________________.
拒绝邀请应给出理由。 2. 按提示词，用Can you…?或Would you like …? 加上所做事项来询问。如果是拒 绝邀请，可以想一个适当理由来说明。
Complete the sentences below. Use 3b the words in brackets to help you. Can you play tennis with us? 1. Inviting: ____________________________ (can/play tennis) Sure. I’d love to. Accepting: ________________________ Would you like to go to the movies? 2. Inviting: _____________________________ (would like to/go to the movies) Refusing: _____________________ Sorry, I can’t. I might have to do my homework. Reasons: ____________________________ (might have to)
3. Inviting: ___________________________ Can you hang out with us tonight? (can/hang out with us tonight) Sorry, I can’t. Refusing: __________________________ Reason: I must help my mom. _____________________ (must) Would you like to come to my 4. Inviting: ___________________________ __________________________ (woul
d birthday party? like to / come to my birthday party) Sure, I’d love to. Accepting: _________________________
Write down everything you have to do next week. Choose a day and time to have a party. Then invite classmates to your party.
A: Can you come to my party? B: When is it ? A: Next week, on Thursday night. B: I’m sorry. I have to study for a math test.