Unit 5 Knowing About China
Topic 2 I’m becoming more and more interested in China’s history. SectionA【预习案】
12.与…同行_______________ 13.可能会____________ 14.温习旧知识___________ 15.从遥远的地方________
18.环游中国________________ 19.搜寻…___________ 20.好的行为准则_______________________________
3.He spent the rest of his life teaching.
点拨：sb.+ spend + 时间或金钱（in）doing sth. --- 某人花时间或金钱做某事
练习：a.昨天他花了两个小时完成他的工作。He _________ two hours _____ _______ his work yesterday. 链接：sb.+ spend + 时间或金钱 + on sth. --- 某人在某物/事上花时间或金钱
练习：我花了20元买这本书。I ________ 20 yuan _______ the book.
对比：pay--________ 主语是_______; cost--________ 主语是_______; take--________主语是_______ 练习：1）他买这幅画花了300元。
点拨：the rest---其余的；the rest of...表示其余的人或物，后跟可数名词和不可数名词，谓语动词随名词决定 练习：1)其余的钱都是你的。The _____ ___ money ___ _____.
2)其余的书是你的。The _____ ___ books ____ _____.
1. The music reminds me ___ Brazilian dance music.
2. Who knows the answer ___ this question?
3. I don’t agree ____ you; you are wrong.
4. I used to be late ___ school, but I am not late any more.
5. He is a man of much knowledge, ____whom much can be learned.
6. She has two daughters, and both _____them are nurses.
7. ____ the help of Miss Jiang, I passed the final exam.
1. My English teacher Miss Lin often has many w_____ teaching ideas, which makes her classes interesting.
2. Zheng He is the man who led seven ocean j_____ and the farthest one is as far as to the coast of Africa.
3. When she was in his t_____, she used to think about joining the army.
4. How many numbers are m_____ in the passage?
5. Tom became more and more i____ in math and the teacher.
1. Do you still remember the man _____ we visited some years ago?
2. The girl ____ is playing the piano is David’s sister.
3. The train ____ was going to Beijing was late.
4. The worker ____ left arm was broken by the accident was sent to hospital.
5. You can take any seat ____ is free.
6. This is the best novel ____ I have read.
7. This is your second time ____ you told us the story.
8. The girl ____ I like isn’t here now.
14.write down as much information as possible 3.一位明朝的探险家_____________________________
6.领导七次航海旅行_____________________________ 15.总计______________ 16.为了…_________________
1.He was a Ming dynasty explorer whom the Chinese people are proud of . be proud of --- 为…感到骄傲
练习：a. 作为中国人我们感到自豪。 We ______ _______ ____ ________ Chinese.
b. Jane为自己没有放弃而感到骄傲。Jane ___ _______ ____ herself for not _______ _____.
2.He is really the pride of China. 点拨：proud(nj.) --- 骄傲，自豪 the pride of ... ---的骄傲
练习：a. 新体育场是这个城镇的骄傲。The new stadium ___ ____ ____ ____ the town.
b. 孩子永远都是父母的骄傲。__________ _____ ______ ________ ____ ________ parents.
链接：show/take/feel (a) pride in (doing) sth. --- 为做某事而自豪
She ______ /______/______ (a) _______ in _______ the job ___________.
3.Unfortunately, he died of illness on his way home from Africa in 1433.
点拨：die of --- 死于…, 后接表示死亡的内因，指正常死亡 链接：die from…后接表示死亡的外因，
练习：a.He died ______ canner. b.He died _______ a traffic accident. c.He died _______ heart disease. 拓展：对于内外伤病引起的死因，二者可以通用。 如：drink, overwork, hunger, cold, a wound, ect.
点拨：on one’s way ( to ) --- 在去---的路上
练习：a. 他在上学的路上遇到Jack。He _______ Jack _____ _______ _______ ______ school.
b. 在通向成功的路上，你会面临种种困难。____ _____ ____ ___ ____, you’ll face _____ ___ ____.
1. He r_____ a good present from his good friend on his birthday.
2. Loving art very much, she s_____ all her life in painting.
3. From our history book we know Zheng He is a great e______.
4. My sister s____ in translating a novel and now she is well-known as a translator.
5. Washington was the first p____ of the United States.
1. I think you can provide me with some new information. （否定句）
I _____ think you _____ provide me with some new information.
2. I’d like to go to Tai’an. （一般疑问句）
____ you ___ to go to Tai’an.
3. Would you like to dance with me? （肯定回答）
4. Jim made a model plane.（被动语态）
A model plane _____ made ____ Jim.
_____ ____ will they be back?
1. Would you please not to make any noise? The baby has just fallen asleep?
2. Neither he nor his wife will spend their holiday in the city.
3. Few of them can drive, can’t they?
4. Please get a pen to write and some paper to write on.
5. It’s known to all that the 29th Olympic Games will hold in Beijing in 2008.
(Bob has been ill. He is phoning Ann for the school work.)
Bob: Hello. __1__
Ann: Hi, Bob. How are you feeling today?
Bob: Oh, I'm much better now, thanks. Can you tell me what happened in class today?
Ann: Sure. __2__. Oh, yes. In history we have finished talking about World War II. Tomorrow we have to study Unit 7 and Unit 8 for a coming exam.
Bob: __3__ I haven't read Unit 6 yet. What did you do in English?
Ann: Not much. We worked on a play in groups. We don't have any homework.
Ann: We have a lot of math homework. We have to do the problems on pages 17, 18, 19 and 20.
3 3.搜索网络______________ 4.下面的文章___________ 5.中华民国第一位总统
8.反清政府的战斗 16.挽救中国和国人9.受到…的欢迎________________________________ 17.病倒于艰苦的工作____________________________
10.海外华人 18.满腹遗憾地离世11.海外留学生_________________________________ 19.做演讲_______________20.骑马12.建立同盟会_______________________________ 21.和一朋友在一起______________________________
1.When he was in his thirties, he took an active part in the battle against the Qing government.
点拨：take a/an (active) part in --- (积极)参加(活动)
练习：他总是积极参加学校的活动。He usually _____ _____ ________ ______ _____ the school
链接：take part in = join in = be in --- 参加(活动) ; join --- 加入(组织)
2.Finally, Sun Yat-sen and his men brought down the Qing dynasty and achieved the victory of the
点拨：bring down ---打垮，击败，减少 achieve the victory of… --- 取得…的胜利
练习：a.这个政党在上次选举中被击败。 The party _____ ________ _______ in last election.
b.They didn’t achieve the victory of the Wusi Movement in 1919.
3.Unfortunately, Sun Yat-san broke down from hard work and passed away full of regret on March
点拨：break down --- 损坏，分解，抛锚，此处意思是(身体)垮掉
练习：1) His health broke down because of hard work.
2) Our car broke down on the freeway.
点拨：pass away --- 去世，亡故 链接：pass by --- 经过； pass on sth. to sb. --- 传递给某人
练习：a.他的母亲前年去世了。His mother_______ _______ ________ _______ ________ ________.
b.你看完那本书后请把它传给我。______ the book ____ ____ me after you ______ _______ ______it.
4.Is there a person in China’s history who has influenced you a lot?
分析: 此句中含有______从句，先行词是_____________, 关系代词是_______, 在从句中做_____语
点拨：influence ( n./v.) --- 影响, 起作用 influence on/over sb. / sth.--- 对…有影响，起作用
练习: 1)This kind of medicine is influencing on the patient.
2)His works have influenced the lives of millions.
3)A teacher has great influence over his pupils.
4)He is a man of great influence in this town.
1. The poor old man died on a cold morning and ____ (bury) in a lonely village.
2. Linda is very glad to succeed in ____ (cross) the river.
3. She was a famous actor. Her ____ (say) are very helpful to us young students.
4. As we all know, Confucius was a great ____ (education)in ancient China.
5. He has a happy family. ____ (fortunately) he had a cancer a few year ago.
2. Sun Yat-sen led his men ____ the Qing Dynasty.
3. We should _____ outdoor activities. It is good for our health.
4. His mother _____ an accident last month, so he was very sad.
5. The old building in the corner of the street will face the danger of _____.
Lily: Joy, how was your holiday?
Joy: I had a g______(1) time.
Lily: Could you tell me what you think of Hainan Island? Our family is going on holiday soon, and we're also t_______(2) about going there.
Joy: Oh, if you get a c______(3) to go, take it. We had a wonderful time!
Lily: What did you do there?
Joy: I think the best thing was diving. The fish and the coral reefs were beautiful! E______(4) in my family loved it! First we had diving lessons. Then we went diving with some other people.
Lily: Wow! That sounds ____ (5) cool! I'm going to tell my parents I want to go to Hainan Island!
1. It is wise not to pretend to know ___ you don’t know.
2. Children like houses ___ are painted in different colors.
3. In fact, the Englishman didn’t understand the three questions _____ were asked in French.
4. All ____ is needed is fresh air.
5. The weather turned out to be very good, _____ was more than we expected.
6. This is the house in ____ we lived last year.
7. His parents wouldn’t let him marry anyone ____ family was poor.
8. In the library there are tables, at _____ you can sit there to read.
9. They talked about the things and persons ____ they remembered in the school.
10. Please pass me the dictionary ____ cover is back.
11. The building ___ windows are bright at night is our school building.
12. There is nothing in the world ____ can frighten him.
13. Would you please give the book ___ it belongs to?
1. The old woman ______ ______（死于）illness.
2. Wang Fei spent most of his time _____ _____ _____（做作业）.
3. My sister is becoming ______ _____ ______ ______（越来越感兴趣）in drawing pictures.
4. Tao Xingzhi is ______ _____ ______ ______ ______（最伟大的教育家之一）in China’s history.
5. Is there any teacher who _____（影响）you a lot?
1.总结关系代词who/ whom/ whose引导的定语从句的用法；
1.In the autumn of 1933, the Red Army faced the danger of being wiped out by the KMT.
点拨：wipe( v.) --- 清除，擦去 链接：wipe sb./sth. out --- 彻底消灭，全部摧毁
练习：a. He wiped the sweat from his forehead.
b. 地震把整个村庄夷为平地。The whole village _____ _______ ______ _____ the ___________.
2.At last, after a long journey of about 25 000 li, the Red Army succeeded in arriving in Gansu Province in 1936. 译：______________________________________________________________________
点拨：succeed in doing sth. --- 成功地做某事
练习: 他成功地从监狱里逃了出来。He _______ ______ __________ from the prison.
链接：成功( n.)____________ / 成功的( adj.)______________/ 成功地( adv.)_______________
Were you ___________ ______ asking him to _________ his _________?
China _________ the Beijing Olympics _____________in 2008.
3)我们预祝大会圆满成功。We wish the meet _____ ________ ___________.
3.Along the way, the Red Army faced enemy attacks and hard living conditions without any fear.
点拨：living conditions --- 生活条件
Recently________ ________ ________ have been __________ greatly.
点拨：fear( n./v.) --- 害怕，恐惧，担心
链接：afraid( )---________ frightened( )---________ worried( )---______
练习：1）The child was shaking with fear. 译：______________________________________
2) 他一直不敢把真相告诉她。 He _________ to tell her the ___________ all the time.
united---_______( ) )
proud ---_______( )
praise---_______( ) lead---_______( ) ) ) instruct---_____ ( ) 6 own---_______( ) fortunately---_______( ) philosopher---______( ) emperor---________( ) revolute---________( ) fearless---________(
1. After his father ____ he had to make a living by himself.
A. death B. dead C. died D. dying
2. The TV set ___ in America is mine.
A. made B. making C. to make D. is made
3. In 1935, the Red Army succeeded ____ in Shaaxi with the hard living condition.
A. to arrive B. in arriving C. on arrive D. at arriving
4. Most people get sick ___ the bad weather.
A. because B. as C. because of D. since
5. Confucius is a great man. His wise sayings are ___ useful ___ they have influenced many people.
A. so; that B. such; that C. very; that D. quite; that
6. ---The homework is too much.
---Yes, I spend about two hours ____ my homework.
A. finish B. to finish C. finishing D. finishes
7. –Is it not a great pleasure _____ friends coming from far away?
---Yes, it is.
A have B. to have C. having D. has
8. Confucius tried to ____ an ideal rule during his life.
A. search on B. look up C. find for D. search for
9. English is very useful. Now many students are becoming ____ in English.
A. more interested and more interested B. more and more interested
C. interested and more interested D. more interested and interested
10. Zheng He was a great explorer. Until today, all the Chinese people _____ him.
A. are proud of B. are pride of C. are proud with D. are pride with
11. --___ do you think of it?
---I enjoy it a lot.
A. Why B. How C. What D. How about
12. –Which subject do you like better, P.E. or art?
---Well, I prefer P.E. ___ art.
A. than B. to C. not to D. and
13. The teacher asked us to answer the question each _____.
A. at times B. all the time C. sometimes D. at a time
14. –Jack, is your tooth better now?
---No, I had to ___ it with the doctor.
A. keep B. leave C. give D. stay
15. People gave this city a new name ____ the great general（将军）.
A. on memory of B. with memory of C. at memory of D. in memory of
Everyone in our school loves sports. Every morning__1__we get up, we do morning exercises. After the second class we exercise again. We only have__2__ classes twice a week, but we do physical training at five every afternoon. The most popular sport is basketball. The__3__ enjoy 7
playing it and many of the girls like it, too.__4__popular sport is football and in every class there__5__a lot of football fans. Volleyball is often played when the weather is__6__. We have school teams in basketball, football and volleyball. Our teams often__7__friendship matches with teams from other schools. When there is a match,__8__of us go to watch it and cheer our side on.
Sports help us to develop（发展）friendship between players, ___9___ they are also helpful to our health. Two years ago I was ___10___, but now I become stronger and stronger.
1. A. while B. after C. before D. when
2. A. English B. Chinese C. P.E. D. music
3. A. teacher B. boys C. students D. people
4. A. Some other B. Other C. Another D. The other
5. A. are B. is C. were D. was
6. A. shining B. rainy C. fine D. wet
7. A. see B. have C. look at D. watch
8. A. several B. few C. a few D. many
9. A. because B. but C. or D. and
10. A. thirsty and hungry B. healthy and happy
C. fat and tired D. thin and weak
(Xiao Lin is a student form Beijing. He was ill last night. He hurried to the hospital this morning. Now he is at the doctors’.)
Xiao Lin: Good morning, Doctor.
Doctor: Good morning. ___1____
Xiao Lin: I’ve got a headache and a running nose.
Xiao Li: Yes, I have. But I haven’t got a fever.
Xiao Lin: Ever since last night.
Doctor: Let me look over you. Mmmm…
Xiao Lin: ____4_____
Doctor: Don’t worry. It’s nothing serious, just a cold. Take this medicine three times a day and drink more water. ____5_____
The Winter Olympics are also called the White Olympics. At this time, many colourful stamps are published (发行) to mark the great Games. The first stamps marking the opening came out on January 25, 1932 in the United States for the 3rd White Olympics. From then on, publishing stamps during the White Olympics became a rule.
During the 4th White Olympics, a set of stamps were published in Germany in November 1936. The five Olympics rings were drawn on the front of the sportswear. It was the first time that the rings appeared (出现) on stamps celebrating the White Olympics.
In the 1950’s, the stamps became more colorful. When the White Olympics arrived, the host countries (东道国) as well as the non-host countries published stamps to mark the Games. China also published four stamps in February 1980, when Chinese sportsmen began to take part in the White Olympics.
Japan is the only Asian country that has ever held the White Olympics. Altogether 14,500 million stamps were sold to raise (筹集) money for this sports meet.
Different kinds of sports were drawn on these small stamps. People can enjoy the beauty of the wonderful movements of some sportsmen.
1. The White Olympics and the Winter Olympics________.
A. are the same thing B. are different games
C. are not held in winter D. are held in summer
2. It was established as a rule that stamps be printed to mark the Winter Olympics ________.
A. after the year 1936 B. after the 3rd White Olympics
C. before the 3rd White Olympics D. before the year 1932
3. The Winter Olympics are held ________.
A. every two years B. every three years
C. every four years D. every five years
4. Which of the following is true?
A. Only the host countries can publish stamps to mark the Games.
B. Only the non-host countries can publish stamps to mark the Games.
C. All countries can publish stamps to mark the Games.
D. Japan can’t publish stamps to mark the Games.
5. What is more likely to appear on the stamps of the White Olympics?
A. Basketball. B. Table tennis. C. Football. D. Skating.
EVENTS A bike tour and race will be held on August 26 and 27 (Sat.& Sun.). The riders will leave Tian’anmen Square at 5:30 am and ride the first 35 kilometers as a training leg. Then the next 55-kilometre leg, from Yanjiao to Jixian, will be the first competitive part of the tour. The riders and their bikes will then be taken from Jixian to Changli.
The second racing leg of the tour will be from Changli to the seaside of Nandaihe, covering a distance of 20 kilometres, Saturday night includes the stay at Nandaihe and supper. Sunday morning is free for playing at the seaside. At noon all the people and their bikes will be taken back to Beijing.
Cost: 200 yuan
The Brazilian Football Club will play Beijing Guo’an Team at the Workers Stadium on August
26. The club has four national teams players. Also coming is 1994’s World Cup star Romario who has promised to play for at least 45 minutes.
Ticket prices: 60, 100, 150 yuan
Time/Date: 4:30 p.m. August 26 (Sat.)
The Third National Rock Climbing Competition will be held on August 26-27 at the Huairou Mountain-climbing Training Base. More than 10 teams from Beijing, Wuhan, Dalian, Jilin and other places will take part. A Japanese team will give a free climbing demonstration for spectators(观众).
Take a long-distance bus from Dongzhimen to Huairou.
Time/Dates: 9-12a.m., August 26 and 27
Telephone: 7143177, 7144850, Wang Zhenghua
6. The main purpose of announcing the above events is to give information about________.
A. visiting teams B. famous players
C. things to do for the weekend D. prices to pay for the sports events
7. If you take part in the bike tour, you will ride for________.
A. 35 kilometers B. 55 kilometers C. 75 kilometers D. 110 kilometers
8. The underlined word “leg” means__________.
A. race B. practice C. run D. one part of the tour and race
9. What is special about the rock climbing competition?
A. A foreign team is taking part in it. B. You can watch it without paying.
C. You don’t have to be a sportsman to take part.
D. The bus trip to the place of the competition is free.
10. If you want to find something to do for Saturday afternoon, which telephone number will you call?
A. 4675027 B. 7143177 C. 5012372 D. 7144850
Saturday, July 6th Fine
Today, my parents and I went to a beach. At six in the morning we