A TEST ON UNITS 1-3
1. I, _____ your good friend, will try my best to help you out.
A. who is B. who am C. that is D. which am
2. ______ had already been pointed out, grammar is not a set of dead rules.
A. As B. It C. That D. This
3. It ______ her why not ask the telephone company for her teacher’s number.
A. hit B. occurred C. knocked D. caught
4. It was much too late to catch a bus after the late film, and ____we called a taxi.
A. otherwise B. still C. therefore D. however
5. All of us ______ him _______ a good friend of ours.
A. think; as B. consider; like C. regard; as D. treat; /
6. We can’t find out how much time the Curies devoted to ______radium.
A. look for B. looking for C. have looked for D. looked for
7. Peter's jacket looked just the same as mine, but it cost ___________mine.
A. as three times much as B. as much as three times
C. much as three times D. three times as much as
8. President Xi inspected the warships in Qingdao in April, ________ the 60th anniversary of the
founding of the PLA Navy.
A. to mark B. marking C. being marked D. marked
9. Hank _____ in the earthquake which ______ October 17th, 1989.
A. is catching; happen in B. was catching; happening at
C. was caught; took place on D. was caught; was taken place on
10. A modern city has been set up in ______was a wasteland ten years ago.
A. what B. which C. that D. where
11. She didn’t seem to mind ______TV while she was trying to study.
A. their watching B. them to watch C. their watch D. them watch
12. He didn’t make ______clear when the meeting on agriculture would be held.
A. these B. that C. this D. it
13. When I said that some people are stupid I was not ______you.
A. referring to B. turning to C. listening to D. leading to
14. There was a loud noise ______ the burst, everybody nearby got a shock.
A. followed B. following C. being followed D. to follow
15. In fact most people in that area are _______ than they were 5 years ago because of years of wars.
A. poorer off B. worse off C. better off D. richer off
You Did More Than Carry My Books
Mark was walking home from school one day when he noticed the boy ahead of him had
dropped all of the books he was carrying, along with a baseball bat and several other things. Mark they were going the same way, he helped to carry some of them for him. As they walked Mark the boy' s name was Bill,
that he other subjects and that he had just broken with his girlfriend.
They arrived at Bill's home first and Mark was in for a Coke and to watch some Mark went home. They to see each other around school, had lunch together once or twice, and then both ended up from the same high school. Just three weeks Bill asked Mark if they talk.
Bill him of the day years ago when they had first met. “why I was carrying so many things home that day?” asked Bill. “You see, I out my locker because I didn't want to leave a mess (脏乱) anyone else. I had planned to run away and I was going home my things. But after we spent some time together laughing, I realized that I had done that, I would have all the fun we would have together. So you see, Mark, when you picked up my books that day, you my life.”
16. A. fell B. sat C. lay D. knelt
17. A. Although B. Since C. After D. Until
18. A. discovered B. realized C. said D. decided
19. A. played B. loved C. tried D. made
20. A. questions B. ideas C. trouble D. doubt
21. A. up B. out C. off D. away
22. A. called B. helped C. invited D. allowed
23. A. peacefully B. willingly C. freely D. pleasantly
24. A. continued B. agreed C. forced D. offered
25. A. graduation B. movement C. separation D. vacation
26. A. would B. should C. could D. must
27. A. demanded B. reminded C. removed D. asked
28. A. ever B. usually C. even D. never
29. A. checked B. took C. cleaned D. put
30. A. over B. into C. with D. for
31. A. find B. pick C. pack D. hold
32. A. talking B. playing C. reading D. watching
33. A. before B. if C. while D. as
34. A. forgotten B. passed C. left D. lost
35. A. helped B. recovered C. improved D. changed
What is it that makes people laugh? More than two thousand years ago the ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle defined (定义) jokes as the pleasure that results from a feeling of triumph by showing we’re better than someone else in a certain way. According to Aristotle and many other philosophers，all jokes depend mainly on showing in another person or group of persons, that is，putting it clearly，on showing that they are less fortunate than ourselves. Jokes raise our good opinion of ourselves at someone else’s expense.
Showing how much better than other people we are is only one reason we like jokes. Someone may also use a joke to express their anger or their cruelty or any other kind of action that is not acceptable to us. We feel free to laugh when we hear about someone sliding on a banana skin. The joke lets us express those attitudes which are usually unacceptable to society. This is probably the reason why some of the jokes，especially those involving cruelty，are so popular with certain people.
Besides，all jokes depend on our enjoyment of laughing at something that is strange and out of place because it’s different from things which are happening around it. The same situation can be either sad or pleasant，depending entirely on how strange and out of place it is. If a girl in a bathing suit falls into a swimming pool，we don’t laugh because nothing unusual has happened. But if a man in a smart suit falls in，the situation is at once unusual in a pleasant way and we laugh.
A good joke-teller will always try to build up a situation in which one thing is expected until something unexpected suddenly happens，and so we laugh.
36. The underlined word “inferiority” (in Paragraph 1) means ______.
A. something that is not as good as something else
B. something that is better than something else
C. someone that is not as good as someone else
D. someone that is better than someone else
37. According to Aristotle, all jokes depend mainly on ______.
A. showing inferiority in another person or group
B. resulting in a sense of success
C. having a good opinion of other people
D. making people laugh unexpectedly
38. What’s the main idea of Paragraph 2?
A. Showing we are better than other people is the only one reason we like jokes.
B. When people are angry, they would like to hear jokes.
C. People who like jokes are usually cruel.
D. To express those attitudes usually unacceptable to society is one of the reasons we like jokes.
39. What will a good joke-teller always try to do?
A. Make a sad situation into a pleasant one.
B. Make different things happen at the same time.
C. Make an unexpected thing happen in an expected situation.
D. Make people laugh at something unusual and out of place.
Why Organic Food Is Better For You
When it comes to organic foods, it is important to know that not just anyone can make organic foods. There are strict standards. Foods and organic food companies that are certified by the Quality Assurance International group(QAI) must undergo tests and meet very high standards. When this is done, all foods should be stamped with a Certified Organic by QAI sticker or label.
It has also been said that organic foods can help to lower the risk of cancer. Although some pesticides that farmers use are considered safe, there are still a number of risks, including a risk of cancer. This is alarming, but it is also something that many individuals are not aware of. Although the EPA(环境保护局)does consider many chemicals, including weed killers and insect killers to be dangerous, they are still used on many of the foods, namely fruits and vegetables, that are sold today. This is not something that you have to worry about when buying organic foods. That is why many claim that organic foods can reduce your chances of cancer.
Another one of the many reasons why organic food is better for you is that it usually tastes better. This means that you and other eaters are more likely to eat more organic foods, as well as stick with organic foods or start a fully organic diet. These steps can help to improve your health.
This is mostly due on part because vegetables and fruits are grown without the assistance of pesticides and other potentially harmful chemicals.
Although there are a number of benefits to eating organic foods, especially where health and wellness is concerned, many individuals are concerned with the cost. Yes, organic food does cost more money, but many still consider it to be well worth the cost.
40. Which of the following is TURE about the making process of organic foods?
a.Organic foods can be made by anyone.
b.Organic food companies should be certified.
c.Organic foods must be stamped with label.
d.Organic foods should meet high standards.
A. a,b,d B. a,c,d C. b,d,c D. a,b,c
41. All the followings are the advantages of Organic foods EXCEPT_________.
A. harmful substances can be removed easily. B. they do good to people's health.
B. they taste very good. D. they are not polluted.
42. Many people haven't realized that ________________.
A. the pesticides that the farmers use are safe.
B. Organic foods can help reduce the chances of cancer.
C. the insect killers and weed killers are relatively dangerous.
D. fruits and vegetables are sold everywhere.
43. When having an organic diet people are most likely to be worried about its_________.
A. safety B. weight C. quality D. expense
44. Which of the followings may be the main idea of this passage?
A. People usually can't afford to buy organic foods.
B. There are all kinds of organic foods in our daily life.
C. Organic food is really better for all of us.
D. Polluted fruits and vegetables are worrying.
1. Dr Sun Yat-sen was one of the most o ________ leaders in Chinese history..
2. Happy birthday! The present is i______for you.
3. He b ______so well in the school that he inspired all the other students.
4. A person who is o ______is not afraid to speak his mind. He says what he thinks and doesn’t cover up his true feeling.
5. A c________ person is happy with what he has, rather than worried about what he has not.
6. You should be careful when you walk in the street, p_______ when you cross the street.
7. When having an English class, I heard two students w_______ to each other in a low voice.
8. This is a very e________ film and almost everyone laughs while seeing it.
9. My teacher is a strict man and he has no s________ of humor.
10. I have had enough and can’t eat another m_______ of dinner.
When he was young, Yuan Longping saw the great need for increasing the rice___1___, and then hunger was a ___2___ problem in China. He wanted to increase rice harvests without ___3___ the area of the fields. In 1974, a ___4___ strain of rice could produce one-third more of
the ___5___ in the same fields. ____6____ _7____ his research, the UN has more tools to __8____ the world of hunger. He is now ____9___ his knowledge in less developed countries and he wants to ___10___ his rice so that it can be grown around the globe. Though he has ____11____ for the past five decades, Dr Yuan is quite ____12___ with a life of peace.
13. The news that the snowstorm was very heavy was astonishing.
=It_________ everyone that the snowstorm was very heavy.
14. Yesterday when I was walking in the street, I happened to meet one of my teachers. =Yesterday when I was walking in the street, I ______ _______ one of my teachers.
15. It was fortunate for her that this film starred her.
=She was fortunate to______ _____ this film.
Although all the students seem very happily at our school, as far as we concerned, the buildings would be more beautiful if the school could be decorated. We students thought the school looks like a desert and the concrete walls like the grey sky in a rainy day. We would be much happier and are able to study well if the walls of the school could be decorated with posters, photos and paintings, that could certainly broaden our horizons and enrich our lives. Original art work are too expensive, but unless we buy art posters, the cost will be low. Using only a little money, it can make our school a nicer place.
改错1. Happily—happy 2. We后加are 3.thought—think
4. In--- on 5. Are---be 6. Well---better 7. That---which 8. Work---works 9. Unless---if 10. It---we
Answer sheet for Units 1-3
Name ___________ score _____________
1. __________ 2. ___________ 3. ___________ 4. ___________ 5. __________
6. ___________ 7. ___________ 8. ____________ 9. ___________10. _________
1. __________ 2. ___________ 3. ___________ 4. ___________ 5. __________
6. __________ 7. __________ 8. ____________ 9. ____________10. _________
11. _____________ 12. _____________13. _____________ 14. _________ _______
15. ________ ___________
Although all the students seem very happily at our school, as far as we concerned, the buildings would be more beautiful if the school could be decorated. We students thought the school looks like a desert and the concrete walls like the grey sky in a rainy day. We would be much happier and are able to study well if the walls of the school could be decorated with posters, photos and paintings, that could certainly broaden our horizons and enrich our lives. Original art work are too expensive, but unless we buy art posters, the cost will be low. Using only a little
money, it can make our school a nicer place.
1-15: BAACC BDBCA ADABB
16-35: DBABC ACDAA CBACD CABDD
36-44: AADC CABDC
单词1. outstanding 2. Intended 3. Behaved 4. Outspoken
5. contented 6. Particularly 7. Whispering 8. Entertaining
9. sense 10. Mouthful
填空1.output 2.disturbing 3.expanding 4.special 5.crop
6.Thanks 7.to 8.rid 9.circulating 10.export 11.struggled
12.content 13. Astonished 14. Bumped into 15. Star in 改错1. Happily—happy 2. We后加are 3.thought—think 4. In--- on 5. Are---be 6. Well---better 7. That---which 8. Work---works 9. Unless---if 10. It---we