Unit 5 Reading重点词汇
1. go birdwatching 去观鸟
2. at the market 在市场上
3. in the wetlands 在湿地
4. encourage sb. to do sth 鼓励某人做某事
5. fly to northern countries in summ er 在夏季飞到北部国家
6. brownish/white and grey or black /brown and grey feathers 棕褐色的羽毛/灰白黑色/棕灰色
7. broad /long-pointed wings/long-winged 宽大的翅膀
8. a nature reserve 自然保护区
9. one of the world’s most important wetlands 世界上最重要的湿地之一
10. provide food and shelter for wildlife/provide wildlife with food and shelter 为野生生物提供食物和栖息地
- 1 -
- 2 -
- 3 -
3、连词+ there be 句型
如：Do you know which is the way to school?
I want to know who did this?
which做宾语从句的主语，这里就不用变语序。 Do you know where the shool is?
Can you tell me how I can get to the zoo.
Eg： I wonder______________ A.how the weather will be tomorrow B.hou will the weather be tomorrow
- 4 -
- 5 -
Little Tommy was doing very badly in math. His parents had tried everything—tutors (家庭教
师), cards, special learning centers—in short, everything they could think of. Finally they
took Tommy to a catholic school.
After the first day, little Tommy came home with a very serious look on his face. He didn’t kiss his mother hello. Instead, he went straight to his room and started studying. Books and
papers were spread (铺开) out all over the room and little Tommy was hard at work. His mother
was surprised. She called him down to dinner and as soon as he finished eating, he went back
to his room, without a word. In no time he was back hitting the books as hard as before. This went on for some time, day after day while the mother tried to understand what was happening. Finally, little Tommy brought home his report card. He quietly put it on the table and went up to his room and hit the books. His mom looked at it and to her surprise, little Tommy got an
A in math. She could no longer hold her curiosity . She went to his room and asked, ―Son, what
was it? Was it the nuns (修女)?‖ Little Tommy looked at her and shook his head, ―No. ‖―Well then,‖ she asked again. ―WHAT was it?‖
Little Tommy looked at her and said, ―Well, on the first day of school, when I saw that man
nailed (钉) to the plus sign , I knew they weren’t joking. ‖
1. Why did Tommy’s parents send him to a catholic school?
A. Because he could eat well there.
B. Because he could earn more about nuns.
C. Because his parents wanted him to do better in his math.
D. Because his parents didn’t want him to learn math any more.
2. Tommy’s mother felt surprised that his son _______.
A. was still the same as usual B. ate so much at dinner
C. kissed her hello after school D. worked hard but said little
3. ―Hitting the books‖ means ―_______‖ in Chinese.
A. 用功 B. 捶书 C. 发泄 D. 振作
4. The last sentence in the passage shows that _______.
A. Tommy felt sorry for the mail B. Tommy was afraid of being nailed
C. Tommy didn’t like the plus sign D. Tommy liked playing jokes on others
5. From the passage, we can infer that _______.
A. teachers should be strict with their students
B. mistaking might do good sometimes
C. a catholic school is much better than other ones
D. nuns are good at helping children with their math - 6 -