Module 8 Around town
Unit 1 How do I get to the Forbidden City?
/ f ?`bid? n / the Forbidden City
1. To master(掌握) the new words in Unit 1;
2. To understand Activity 3 in Unit 1; 3. To know how to ask the way（问路） and give directions(指出方位).
1. Read and check the new words; 2. Read the words all together and remember the Chinese meanings; 3. Play a game; 4. Listen and finish activity 1; 5. Check the answers with each other.
Words and expressions
bank /b?? k / n.银行
market /`mɑ: kit/ n.市场 pool /pu: l/ n.水池, 池塘 square /skwe? / n.广场 left /left/ adv. 向左 adj. 左边的 n. 左边 right /rait /adv. 向右adj. 右边的, 正确的 n. 右边 opposite /`?p?zit/ prep.在……的对面adj. 对面的 adv. 在对面 /`s u:p ?/ supermarket n.超市 swimming pool游泳池
between /bi`twi:n/ prep. 在……之间
turn /t?: n/ v. 转向;转弯
corner /`k?: n?/ n.
along /?`l?? /prep. 沿着
Listen and match the words and expressions with the pictures.
bank bookshop market park restaurant supermarket swimming pool
Do you like Beijing? Do you want to go to Beijing?
1. Read the conversation; 2. Listen to the correct pronunciation(发音); 3. Answer some questions; 4. Play a game; 5. Do some exercises.
Listen and read.
Answer these questions.
1. What map is Lingling showing Sally?
A map of Beijing.
2. Can you name these places they talk about?
Tian’anmen Square, the Great Hall of the People, the
National Museum of China, the Forbidden City, the Chairman Mao Memorial Hall.
the Great Hall of the People
The National Museum of China
the Forbidden City
The Chairman Mao Memorial Hall
/ `t∫ e? m?n /
/m?`m?: ri? l/
Read the conversation again and answer the questions:
1. How do I get to the Forbidden City? It’s opposite Tian’anmen Square.
2. Where is the Chairman Mao Memorial Hall?
It’s between the Great Hall of the People and the Museum.
3. Where is the best place for shopping?
Choose the best answers.
1. The Great Hall of the People is ____ of Tian’anmen Square.
A. on the right
C. on the left
B. at the back
2. The Forbidden City is opposite _________.
A. Tian’anmen Square B. the Chairman Mao Memorial Hall C. the National Museum of China
3. The Chairman Mao Memorial Hall is between _______ and the Museum. A. the Forbidden City
B. the Great Hall of the People
C. Tian’anmen Square 4. Beihai Park is kind of ______. A. noisy B. small C. quiet
5. ______ is the best place to go shopping.
A. Chang’an Jie
B. Chang Jie
How can I get to…？我怎样到达……? Can you tell me the way to…?你能告诉我去……的路吗？ Where is…? ……在哪里？ 等等。
on the left/right 在左边/右边
turn one’s left/right 转向某人的左边/右边
turn left/right (into) 向左转/右转（进入）
next to 与……紧挨着
opposite 在……的对面 on the corner of 在……拐角处 between…and… 在……和……之间
1. The bookshop is near here,____ the corner of this road.
2. Who was sitting ___ your left at the cinema?
3. Can you tell me the way ___ the market?
4. Please turn right ____ Heping Road, and you can see the hospital. 5. Please look at the map___ China.