Unit 8 I'll help clean up the city parks.
homeless hunger cheer fix similar fill pleasure blind deaf imagine shut carry specially fetch
1.hunger n.饥饿 adj.饥饿的
Eg. In the old days, many people died of hunger.旧社会，许多人死于饥饿。
2.homeless adj.无家可归的。1) help+ 在名词词尾加后缀less变为否定形容词，如：less=helpless : 意为“无助的;2) care+ less=careless意为“粗心的”; 3)hope+ less=hopeless“无望的”; 4) use+ less=useless“无用的”;
3. set v.摆放、放置、（太阳）落下set up 建立set off=set out 出发、动身
4.cheer v. cheer up sb.或cheer sb. up意为“（使某人）高兴起来，振作起来”。如果是代词做宾语，则将代词放在中间。
5.fix v.修理 fix up相当于repair，表示“修理，修补，整理”,其后跟物件名词作宾语。特别提示
如果fix up的宾语是“人”的话，则构成fix sb. up with sth.句型，表示“为某人安排某件事，向某人提供某物”。
I’ll fix you up with a place to stay. 我来给你安排住处。
6.similar adj.相似的 be similar to意为“与……类似”; be the same as“与……完全相同”。take after sb. 表示“长相或举止像（某个长辈）”，不能用于被动语态。
7. pleasure意为“高兴，快乐”，是不可数名词；表示“乐趣，高兴的事”时是可数名词。◎在口语中It’s pleasure. 是回答感谢的客套语。
— Thank you for your help. 感谢你的帮助。
—It’s a pleasure. 不用谢。
Eg. It’s pleasant weather today. 今天的天气令人愉快。
It’s very pleasant to sit down after standing for hours.
8.shut v, (shut, shut) “关”，在许多情况下可以与close互换，只是后者语气较弱，Eg. close the door关门（也可能指半开半闭），shut the door关门（指把门关紧）。◎当表示“关闭公路，铁路或交通工具”或作“结束”讲时，只用close。 They have closed the road for thick fog. 由于大雾，那条公路被关闭。
9. carry v.“搬运，携带”，不表示带到什么地方，而携带的方式可以是提、扛、背、抱、抬等。
10. fetch v. 相当于go and bring back，意为“取来，接来”，表示一往一返。 2）重点短语
up 清扫 out 分发，发放 up=make…happier 使...高兴
4.after school =think up 提出，想出 off 推迟 写下，记下 张贴
分发，发放up 打电话 =establish 建立
12. sb. 是某人的家园one’s time to sth.自愿花时间做... …to… 把...投入使用 小学计划干...
21.修理 22.捐赠 23.与...相似
25.a call-in center for parents 26 闲荡 27.put up signs asking for singing jobs 28.run out of money for singing lessons 29.残疾人
用...填充== be full of 装满了...
1.I’d like to help homeless people。 2.You could help clean up the city parks.
3.You could give out food at a food bank. 4. He looks sad. Let’s cheer him up.
5.This volunteer work takes each of them several hours a week, so it is a major commitment.
6.Not only do I feel good about helping other people, but I get to spend time doing what I love to do.
7. “Don’t put it off,” says HuiPing. “Become a volunteer today!”
8. Jimmy takes after his mother. 9 .Jimmy has run out of money.
10. I fix up bikes and give them away.
11. He even handed out advertisements at a local supermarket.
12. Then he told the teachers at school about his problem ....
13. The strategies that he came up with worked out fine。
14. ...Who has filled my life with pleasure.
15. Because I can’t use my arms or legs well, normal things like answering the telephone, opening and shutting doors, or carrying things have always been difficult for me.。
16. He now has sixteen bikes to fix up and give away to children who don’t have bikes.
1）一般将来时：将来时间计划发生或将要发生的动作和存在的状态。常与表示将来的时间状语连用，如：tomorrow ….,next …,the day after tomorrow , in 5
构成：will do/be & be going to do/be
例如：I’ll help clean the city parks next week.
◎each用在代词或复数名词前要用介词of连接，如each of them, each of the boys; every不能直接跟of连接，如不可以说every of them，而要说every one of them或each of them。
◎every还可以表示“每隔”，后接基数词加名词，如every four weeks, every three months等，此种结构中的every不能用each代替。魔力纠错魔力解析
2. not only ... but also (also可省略)是“不但……而且……”的意思，当置于句首时，not only后面从句的主谓要倒装，但but （also）后面的主谓不用倒装。 Not only has he been to Canada, but (also) he knows some Canadians.
Not only did he teach at school, but (also) he wrote novels.
1. 假如你是志愿者俱乐部的主席，负责根据成员们的兴趣爱好，为他们安排合适的工作。填写表格，必须用 could 写出句子，工作项目自拟，但要符合客观
1. Lucy could work for a newspaper.
Jimmy could volunteer in an after-school study program.
Tony could help coach a football team of children.
Mei could give out food at a food bank.
2. I like helping people who need help. I enjoy singing very much. So, if I have a chance to volunteer, I’d like to be a teacher to teach children many songs that I like. I love children. Looking at their sweet smile is so happy. And I think it’s also my honor to make others happier. If I am a volunteer, I will be a great one.
Our sports meeting has been __till next Monday because of the bad weather.
A. put on B. put up C .put off D. put down
2.（2009，广东）The computer is too expensive. I’ll ______it.
A. talk about B. think of C. thinks about D. say about
3.（2010，武昌） Great changes _____in China since 1919.
A. have been taken place B. have taken place
C. took place D. was taken place
---Will the foreigners have any problems talking with Chinese in Qingdao in 2008? ---I don’t think so. Now ____the young _____the old are learning to speak English.
A. only, except B. either, or C. neither, nor D. not only, but also
5.（2009，金华） Mrs. Jenny gave us ____ on how to learn English well.
A. some advices B .many advices C. some advice D. an advice
1. I am very a_____. Give me some food, please.
2. It’s Friday today. Don’t p____ off it any more.
3. He is a v_______, and he often treats some animals.
4. My computer is broken. He is r_____ it for me.
5. His father is able. He can s_____ this problem by himself.
6. There is a s_____. It says“No Smoking!”.
7. I love dogs because they never c______ and they’re grateful.
8. Lucy and Lily are twins, so they are s_____ in many ways.
1. I’d like to help _____(home) people.
2. Listen! The baby ______(cry). Go and have a look.
3. The students of Class Five___________(put on) an English play next week.
4. I fell good about _________(help) other people.
5. The monkey made all the people ________(laugh).
6. You can’t put off _________(make) a study plan .
7. Tom loves animals and plans _______(study)to be a veterinarian when he leaves school .
8 Li Ming is a ______(nine) grade student who wants to be a doctor .
9 He now has sixteen bikes ______(fix) up and give away to children who don’t have bikes .
10 Thank you for ______(send) a letter to me
1. I’ve no pen ______ me. Would you lend one ____me?
A. without, for B. with, to C. to, for D. for, to
2. We’re going to _____ many schools in the west of China.
A. cheer up B. set up C. put off D. put on
3. Do you need to _____ a plan for your holiday?
A. give out B. gave out C. give off D. come up with
4. On weekends I like to _____at the English club with my friends.
A. hang out B. look out C. hand out D. give out
5. The lazy man has _____his money, so he has to borrow some money from others.
A. use out B. ran out C. run out of D. cost
6. Be quiet please, class. I’ll going to ____your test papers.
A give away B give out C give off D give to
7.____do we feel good about helping other people, ____I get to spend time doing what I love to do.
A Not only…and B But also
C Only….and D Not only…but
8. They live in a place ____Gum Tree
A to call B calling C called D calls
9 Place try to get there on time .Don’t keep us____
A to wait B waited C wait D waiting
10. ---Tom hasn’t paid for the school things, has he?
---_______.His father will pay for him
A Yes, he has B No, he hasn’t C Yes, he did D No, he didn’t
四、阅读下面短文，掌握其大意，然后从各小题所给的四个选项中选出最佳答案。 I haven’t written my blog(博客) for two weeks because I’ve been really busy with my work. And for me, being busy is being , for I really like my work. I have been finishing up my volunteer work for Doctors without Borders. I Wharton classmates around to see Shanghai (actually, to see Shanghai bars), and also hung out with some online friends I met on PopEnglish. It’s too bad I don’t have to actually meet all the people I’ve met on this website—sometimes I hardly have time to the messages I get from the other friends. But I have had a lot of fun meeting the online friends, and it’s also been a great way to my Chinese.
I have two more weeks Shanghai and then I go to New York for training with Morgan Stanley. In early September I will move to Hong Kong to work with Morgan’s Asia Special Situations Group. I will mostly be covering China, and will come here often like Beijing and Shanghai, often to 2nd and 3rd tier(等级) cities. That’s always but it can some-times be hard for a big city boy like me.
Before I start work, I want to make sure I enjoy my stay here in Shanghai most of my last two weeks!
( ) 1. A. sad B. useful C. tired D. happy
( ) 2. A. sent B. showed C. provided D. supported
( ) 3. A. time B. money C. places D. fun
( ) 4. A. write B. reply C. answer D. send
( ) 5. A. learn B. speak C. listen to D. practice
( ) 6. A. left B. paid C. spent D. taken
( ) 7. A. look for B. choose C. use D. start
( ) 8. A. with B. to C. by D. on
( ) 9. A. otherwise B. instead C. though D. or
( ) 10. A. awful B. sad C. interesting D. special
On June 26, 2000, two scientists, called Francis Collins and Craig Venter, told the world that they could now read the whole “map” of the human body: DNA. DNA is something that everybody has, and it tells the body what to do. DNA is the reason that we look like our mother and father, because we get some of their DNA to make our
People have been trying to understand the human body for a long time. In 1860, Gregor Mendel discovered a special reason why we look the same as other people in our family. It is because of small things named Watson and Francis Crick made another discovery and found out that those small parts are real messages written in the DNA with a special language.
In 1961, Marshall Nirenberg and Johann Matthaei found a message in DNA showing how DNA tells the cell (细胞) to build its parts. Scientists have now found all the words in the DNA map, but we still do not understand what they all do. By understanding what just one “word” means, we can help save more people from several illnesses.
Most people hope that this will help make better medicine and help sick people. Other people worry that when people begin to know more words and find out lots of other information, we might use it in a wrong way, just to make people more attractive, or stop sick people from getting jobs. Man would have to meet a lot of trouble if DNA technic wasn’t limited in use.
( )1. When did we first know why we look like other people in our family?
A. In 1860. B. In 1953. C. In 1961. D. In 2000.
( )2. What does the underlined word “gene” mean?
A. The “map” of DNA. B. A special language.
C. Small parts of DNA. D. DNA.
( )3. What did the two scientists first discover in 1961?
A. The “map” of DNA. B. A new illness.
C. The language of DNA. D. A message of DNA.
( )4. What can we do if we understand some “words” of the language inside the
A. Make people get new jobs. B. Make medicine for illnesses.
C. Make maps of human. D. Make people less attractive.
( )5. What do people think about this work? A. It can cause good or bad results. B. It can cause only good results.
C. It can cause good results but won’t work. D. It can cause only bad results.
Bob went to London three years ago. He a big house for two years. When he was young, he had a beautiful garden. Every year, he grew many flowers there. He liked his garden and the flowers there looked very beautiful because they good care of . But Bob discovered that some grass always grew with the flowers. He tried many ways (deal) with it, but he didn’t find a
Bob didn’t give up. He (hear) that there was a famous gardener who was very good at (plant), so he went to ask him for help. They together used many different ways, but they didn’t stop.
One day, Bob and the gardener silently together for a long time. Finally, the gardener looked at Bob and said,“Well, the only thing I can ___ (suggest) is that you should learn to love the grass instead of hating it. When we can’t change or refuse something, we should learn to accept (接受) it and treat it .”
1.___________ 2.___________ 3. ____________ 4. _______________
5. ____________ 6. ___________ 7. ____________
提示词汇：网购shopping on line 避免做某事avoid doing sth.
商品 goods 导致cause
With the development of the Internet, many people are used to shopping on line.
一、1. hungry 2.put 3.veterinarian 4.repairing5.solve6.sign 7.complain 8.similar 二、1. homeless 2. is having 3. will put on 4. helping 5. laugh 6. making 7. to study 8. ninth 9. to fix 10. sending
四、1-10 DBACD ADDBC
六、1.lock 2. below 3.honest 4. pleasure 5.sights 6. describe 7. packing
七、1. has had 2. were taken 3. to deal 4. heard 5. planting 6. sat