Animals in danger
We need to protect animals.
Words and expressions
danger protect orange cousin 危险 保护 橘色的 n. 橘子; 橘色 同类; 堂兄弟; 表兄 弟; 堂姐妹; 表姐妹 brown adj. 棕色的 n. 棕色 mad adj. 极度激动的; 发狂似的 n. v. adj. n.
Words and expressions surprising kill hard away dirty awful adj. 使人惊讶的；出人意料的 v. 杀死 adj. 困难的 adv. ……掉; ……去 adj. 脏的 adj. 极讨厌的; 极不愉快的
Words and expressions peace n. 安宁; 和平 发现 find out rare adj. 稀有的; 珍贵的 example n. 例子 nature n. 大自然; 自然界 surprised adj. 惊奇的; 吃惊的
1 Complete the quiz with the words in the box. 1 I am orange and black. 2 I am the tiger’s cousin. bear 3 I am brown or black and camel I live in the forest. elephant 4 I am very big and I live in the sea. lion 5 I am long and thin. snake 6 I am big and I have a tiger very long nose. 7 I can walk a long way whale without drinking.
2 Listen and answer these questions. 1. Which animals are they talking about?
They’re talking about pandas, tigers, lions, elephants and bears.
2. Which animals are in danger? All of these animals are in danger.
Listen and read.
Choose the best answer for each sentence. 1. Sally ______ the zoo. A. didn’t like B. liked C. disliked 2. It was interesting to learn about the _________ Panda Reserve. A. Wulong B. Wolong C. Wulun 3. It isn’t right to kill whales or _______ for their meat.
4. Many animals have ______ to live in.
A. enough lands
C. no place
5. Our villages and farms are _______.
A. growing more slowly
B. growing bigger
C. not growing
1. We need to protect animals. 我们需要保护动物。 need 的用法: 1) 作实义动词，意为“需要”。当主语 是人时，用need to do; 当主语是物时， 用need doing/to be done。 We need to learn English quickly. 我们需要快速学英语。
The trees need watering. 这些树需要浇水了。 2) need 作情态动词时，用于疑问句或 否定句中。后面接动词原形。意为
要；必须” Need he sweep the floor now? 他必须现在扫地吗？
2. But many people decide not to think about it. 但是许多人决定不考虑这件事。 decide 的几种常见结构： 1) decide (not) to do sth. 决定（不）去做某事 They decide (not) to go fishing. 他们决定（不）去钓鱼了。
2) decide on (doing) sth. 决定（做）某事 They decide on flying kites. 他们决定放风筝。 3) decide +that-clause She has decided that she will be a doctor. 她已决定将来当一名医生。
Answer these questions.
1. When do you think this conversation happens? Just after they have visited the zoo.
2. Why do some people kill whales and elephants?
They kill them for their meat.
3. Has Sally ever seen the pandas before? No, s
he 4. What happens when the villages and hasn’t. farms grow bigger? Many animals have no place to live in. 5. Who has made the water too dirty to drink? Humans.
5 Complete the sentences with the correct form of the words and expressions in the box. kill in danger peace protect reserve 1. When people ___ too many animals, kill they become rare. 2. Elephants and whales are examples of animals_________. in danger 3. Nature _______ are forests or large reserves parks where animals can live in peace.
4. We can _______ animals in danger if protect we give them somewhere safe to live. 5. We need to give animals fresh water and somewhere to live. This will help them live in ______. peace Now work in pairs. Read the sentences and say what you think: I’m sad/ happy/ sorry/ surprised to hear that.
7 Ask and answer the questions. 1. Are you surprised to find out that whales are in danger? 2. Why do some animals have no place to live in? 3. Do you think it is right to kill animals for their meat? 4. Do most people want to help animals in danger? 5. Would you like to find out more about animals in danger?
8 With a partner, talk about the animals. Decide which one is the most important to protect. Tell the class the reasons and how to protect them. The… is the most important animal to protect. …
The panda is the most important animal to protect. Last year, an earthquake happened in Wenchuan. There were 144 pandas in the Wolong Panda Reserve. People took good care of them. But pandas are in danger. They haven’t enough place to live in. They haven’t enough bamboo to eat. They haven’t room to play. They are rare animals. So we should protect them well.
一、根据汉语完成句子。 1. 托尼刚刚拿走了我的字典。 took away Tony _____ _____ my dictionary just now. 2. 我有许多家务活要做。 to do I have got lots of housework ___ ____.
3. 这位老人没地方住。 no _____ to live in The old man has ___ place ___ ____ ___. 4. 老师已查明原因了。 The teacher has ______ ____ the reasons. found out
二、选择填空。 1. My father’s job is ___ animals. A. feed B. to feed 2. He hurried to school without ___ breakfast. A. having B. have 3. __ is difficult for him ___ the book. A. That; read B. It; to read
4. I’m ____ in the ____ story.
A. interesting; interested B. interested; interesting 5. I’m tired. Let’s stop ___. A. walking B. to walk 6. Let’s discuss how ____ the animals. A. protect B. to protect
Finish Exercise 1 on page 144.