1. ----Susan’s parents have bought a large house with a swimming pool. -----It _____be very expensive.
A. must B. can C. mustn’t D. can’t
2. She ____know the answer, but I’m not sure.
A. maybe B. may be C. may D. must
3. ----Whose T-short is this?
----It ____be John’s. It’s much too small for him.
A. may B. must C. can’t D. shouldn’t
4. ----Listen! Someone is knocking at the door. Who ____it be? ----It ____be Tom. He phoned to visit me this evening.
A. must; may B. may; shouldn’t C. must; can D. can; may
5. ----Whose notebook is this?
----It ____Tom. I saw he used it just now.
A. must belong to B. can’t belong to C. might be belonged to
6. ----What will the weather be like tomorrow?
----It ____be rainy, couldy or sunny. Who knows?
A. must B. might C. shall D. should
7. The magazine _____be Lily’s, for we can find her name on the cover.
A. may B. might C. could D. must
8. The work is too hard for him. He _____finish it on time.
A. can’t B. mustn’t C. shouldn’t D. needn’t
9. You ____lose your way if you walk along in the mountain at night.
A. may B. need C. should D. ought to
10. -----Whose backpack is this?
----It ____be Jim’s. Look, his students card is in it.
A. must B. can C. mustn’t D. can’t
★★★★★1A 2C 3C 4D 5A 6B 7D 8A 9A 10A★★★★★
11. ----Where is XiaoLing?
----She _____in her bedroom. But I am not sure.
A. must be B. can’t be C. maybe D. may be
12. ----Have you decided where to spend your summer holiday!
----Not yet. We ____ go to Qingdao.
A. must B. should C. need D. may
13. ---Excuse me, where are we going to have our class meeting?
----I’m not sure. Ask our monitor, please. He_____know.
A. can B. may C. need D. shall
14. ----Where’s Jeff?
----I’m not sure. He _____be playing football on the playground.
A. need B. might C. must D. can
15. ----Our class won the English speaking contest.
----Congratulation! You _____ be very proud of it.
A. can B. need C. would D. must
16. ----Where’s David?
----He ____be on the playground because he is fond of playing basketball.
A. will B. may C. can’t D. mustn’t
17. ----Must I learn all these words by heart?
----No, you _____. It’ll be fine if you copy them in your exercise books.
A. needn’t B. can’t C. needn’t D. couldn’t
18. ----Must I finish my homework now?
-----No, you _____. You ____do it this evening.
A. mustn’t; can B. needn’t; may C. can’t; must D. needn’t; must
19. ----Must I get up early tomorrow morning?
A. you mustn’t B. I don’t think you have to
C. you can’t D. you need
20.----Must I go through the radiation (辐射) check when I come back from Japan at the airport these days?
----Yes, you _____.
A. can B. may C. might D. must
★★★★★11D 12D 13B 14B 15D 16B 17C 18B 19B 20D★★★★★
21. ----May I go swimming now?
------No, you_______. You must finish your homework first.
A. mustn’t B. may not C. couldn’t D. needn’t
22-----May I smoke here?
-----No, you_____. Look, there’s a “No smoking” sign there.
A. mustn’t B. may not C. needn’t D. can’t
23. ----May I take the magazine out of the reading room?
----No, you can’t. You _____ read it here. It’s the rule.
A. must B. would C. may D. might
24. ---May I go out now, dad?
----No. you ____. You shouldn’t leave until the bell rings.
A. can B. may C. need D. must
25. ----May we leave the classroom now?
----No, you ____. You shouldn’t leave until the bell rings.
A. may not B. can’t C. needn’t
26. ----May we leave the classroom now?
----No, you ____. You ____to leave until the bell rings.
A. must; are allowed B. can’t; aren’t allowed C. needn’t; aren’t allowed
27. ----____ I smoke here?
----No. You are not allowed to smoke in public places.
A. Could B. Must C. May D. Might
28. -----Could I use your dictionary?
----Yes, you ____.
A. can B. could C. need D. should
29. ----Mr. Wang, can I finish my homework tomorrow?
----Sorry, you ____.
A. can’t B. don’t C. needn’t D. won’t
30. ----Can I wear any clothes I like to school?
----No, you can’t. You ____wear a uniform.
A. might B. must C. will D. would
★★★★★21A 22A 23A 24D 25B 26B 27C 28A 29A 30B★★★★★
31. ----Dad, can I go to the movies tonight?
----Sure, but you ____come back here before 9 o’clock.
A. can B. must C. may D. might
32. ----Can you ride a horse?
----No, I ____.
A. needn’t B. may not C. can’t D. mustn’t
33. ----____you swim?
----Yes, but I’m not a good swimmer.
A. Can B. May C. Need D. Must
34.----Mary，__________you speak Chinese?
-----Yes，only a little．
A must B need C may D．can
35. _____ you wait a few more minutes? It’ll be your turn soon.
A. Must B. Should C. Could D. Might
36. ----Will you stay for some more days?
----Sorry, I ____. My mother called to ask me to go back at once.
A. mustn’t B. may not C. can’t D. wouldn’t
37. ____ you please tell me how to get to the hospital?
A. Will B. May C. Shall D. Must
38. ----Would you come to my birthday party tomorrow evening?
----I’m afraid I ____. I have to look after sister.
A. wouldn’t B. won’t C. can’t D. mustn’t
39. ----Excuse me. Will you please tell me the way to the railway station?
----Oh, sorry, but I don’t know. You ____ go and ask the policeman.
A. may B. must C. would D. should
40. ----_____ we go at 7;30?
----What about ____it a little earlier?
A. Shall; making B. Shall; to make C. Will; making D. Will; to make ★★★★★31B 32C 33A 34D 35C 36C 37A 38C 39A 40A★★★★★
41. _____ I close the window? It’s so cold here.
A. Will B. Must C. Would D. Shall
42. ----Shall I tell John about it?
---- No, you ____. I told him just now.
A. needn’t B. can’t C. mustn’t D. shouldn’t
43. -----Shall I book some seats for the concert?
-----_______. I’ve already done that.
A. Yes, you may B. No, you mustn’t C. No, you needn’t D. I’d rather not
44. ----Shall I get one more cake for you, Dad?
----Thanks, but you _____. I’ve had enough.
A. may not B. mustn’t C. can’t D. needn’t
45. Schools _________allow students at least one hour a day for sports.
A. would B. might C. should D. could
46. ----How was the youth club last night, Mark?
----It was great fun. You ____come.
A. must B. can C. should D. may
47. In order to speak English better, we _____be afraid of losing face. Because the most important thing is to practice. Remember, practice makes perfect.
A. should B. shouldn’t D. have to
48. It’ in the library! So you ____know shouting is not allowed here.
A. can B. must C. need D. may
49. If you are in the zoo, remember not to touch or go near animals. Although some of the animals are cute, you ____leave them alone.
A. must B. will C. may D. can
50. I ____ go to the bank to get some money, or I’ll have to go hungry.
A. may B. must C. can D. might
★★★★★41D 42A 43C 44D 45C 46C 47B 48B 49A 50B★★★★★
51. When traffic lights are red. We _________stop and wait.
A. may B. can C. must D. might.
52. ----I really like playing computer games!
----I'm afraid you _____stop，for your study and your health.
A. am B. will C．may D．must
53. ----I didn't pass the math test. I think I have spent too much time playing computer games recently.
-----I agree. You ____play like that any more.
A. needn't B. mustn't C. may not D. wouldn't
54. Drunk driving is against the law. It ____be forbidden.
A. may B. must C. can D. might
55. ----Fifty dollars for such a T-shirt! You ____be joking!
----I’m serious. It’s made of silk.
A. must B. need C. may D. can
56. The talented boy _____write lyrics (歌词) when he was at the age of ten.
A. may B. could C. must
57. Trees ____fight air pollution. They are natural air conditioners.
A. should B. must C. need D. can
58. ----Will the new iphone lost a lot?
----I ____think so. Apple’s products are usually expensive.
A. shouldn’t B. needn’t C. would D. must
59. When he was there, he ______ go to that coffee shop at the corner after work every day.
A. would B. should C. had better D. might
60. I ____ keep dogs for protection, but now I keep them as pets.
A. would rather B. had better C. used to D. have to
★★★★★51C 52D 53B 54B 55A 56B 57D 58C 59A 60.C★★★★★
61. He used to _____ in the sun, but now he is used to _____at night.
A. read, read B. reading, read C. read, reading D. reading, reading
62. It seemed that it is going to rain. You’d better_____the window open when you leave the house.
A. not leave B. leave C. not to leave D. to leave
63. -----What about playing football this afternoon, Sam?
-----I would rather _____at home than _____ football. It's too hot outside.
A. stay; playing B. stay; play C. to stay; to play D. to stay; playing
64. I won’t go to the concert this evening. I _____ watch the NBA on TV. It’s more exciting.
A. had better B. would rather C. ought to D. have to
65. ----Ought I to go right now?
A. That’s very bad. B. Yes, you go ought to C. Yes, you ought D. No, you ought not to
66. -----You must come back every month.
-----Yes, I ______.
A. will B. must C. should D. can
A. didn’t dare B. dared C. agreed D. disagreed
68. They A. shouldn’t B. don’t have to C. mustn’t D. can’t A. May B. must C. Do D. Need A. must B. has to C. can
★★★★★61C 62A 63B 64B 65D 66A 67B 68B 69A 70C ★★★★★
1A 2C 3C 4D 5A 6B 7D 8A 9A 10A 11D 12D 13B 14B 15D 16B 17C 18B 19B 20D 21A 22A 23A 24D 25B 26B 27C 28A 29A 30B 31B 32C 33A 34D 35C 36C 37A 38C 39A 40A 41D 42A 43C 44D 45C 46C 47B 48B 49A 50B 51C 52D 53B 54B 55A 56B 57D 58C 59A 60C 61C 62A 63B 64B 65D 66A 67B 68B 69A 70C