How do you feel when you stay in hospital alone? Jenny, 13, a US student, feels bored. She knows the feeling because she has been in hospital many times herself. One day, she thought of an idea—if patients could get some books to read, they would feel better. So, from May, she and many of her friends began to collect books for hospital patients.
In six months the students collected 1,250 books at school. They decided to donate the books to the North Shore Medical Centre, a children’s hospital next door to their school. “There are books for kids of all ages, from babies up to high school level.” said Jenny.
The students put the books into “early readers”, “middle readers” and “advanced readers”. Then they wrote their best wishes to patients on bookmarks (书签) and letters, put the books in big boxes and donated them to the hospital.
“We wrote things like, “Keep on reading!’ and ‘Hope you feel better!’,” said John, 14, Jenny’s brother. “And we also wrote some funny things to make them laugh.”
Frank, 12, and Steven, 14, helped carry 16 large boxes of books into a car. “I think these books will make me a lot of patients feel happy.” said Frank. Steven shared his opinion. “It is really the most meaningful thing that I have ever done in my life.”
36. Who first thought of the idea of helping those bored patients in hospital?
A. John. B. Frank. C. Steven. D. Jenny.
37. From the article, we can learn that _______.
A. in half a year Jenny and her friends bought 1,250 books
B. the North Shore Medical Centre is far from Jenny’s school
C. Jenny and her friends were willing to help bored patients
D. Steven had a different opinion from Frank and John
38. The best title for the article might be “_______”.
A. Collecting books for bored patients B. Writing a letter to a medical centre
C. Donating books to poor students D. Reading books for hospital patients
39. Which of the following words can be used to describe those student?
A. Polite and hard-working B. Lazy and stubborn
C. Selfish and proud D. Thoughtful and helpful
36. D【解析】细节理解题。由第一段句“One day, she thought of an idea—if patients could get some books to read, they would feel better”可知。詹妮想出的主意。
37. C【解析】理解推断题。由第二段可知A错误；由句“a children’s hospital next door to their school.”可知B错误；由最后一段句“Steven shared his opinion.”可知D错误。故选C。
Zhalong is a nature reserve in Heilongjiang in north-east China. It is one of the world’s most important wetlands. The reserve covers an area of 210,000 hectares. The area provides food and shelter for wildlife. It is an ideal home for different kinds of plants, fish and birds.
Many birds live comfortably in Zhalong Nature Reserve all year round, while some only stay there for a short time. There are many fish in the wetlands, and the birds can easily catch them for food. Zhalong has long been called “the home of the crane”. There are 15 crane species (物种) in the world. 8 of them are in China and there are 6 species in Zhalong area. It is an important living area for the rare red-crowned cranes. There are not many red-crowned cranes in the world. Every spring and summer, red-crowned cranes lay and hatch (孵化) their eggs in Zhalong.
Some people want to change the wetlands to make more space for farms and buildings. This means there will be less and less space for wildlife. More and more birds are in danger because they do not have enough living space. Many of them died. The Chinese government wants to protect these endangered birds, and they can be safe in Zhalong.
Every year, a lot of tourists go to Zhalong to watch birds. This year, members of our Bird-watching Club are going to study the different kinds of birds in Zhalong and the changes in their numbers. The study begins next month.
We _______ once a year. We are now inviting secondary school students to help. We need more people to help us count and do something to help the birds.
Many people do not understand the importance of the wetlands. We hope this information will help them understand and make them actively take action to protect wildlife.
40. What does the underlined word “ideal” mean?
A. Perfect. B. Dangerous. C. Crowded. D. Expensive.
41. What can we learn from the second paragraph?
A. All birds stay in Zhalong Nature Reserve all year round.
B. There are eight species of red-crowned cranes in Zhalong.
C. The number of the world’s red-crowned cranes is small.
D. Every winter red-crowned cranes hatch eggs in Zhalong.
42. Which of the following can we choose for the blank (空白) in the fifth paragraph?
A. go birdwatching B. do a bird count C. go bird-hunting D. hold a bird show
43. The purpose of the article is to _______.
A. attract more visitors to pay a visit to Zhalong Nature Reserve
B. ask people to take action to protect wetlands and wildlife
C. prevent people from watching birds in Zhalong Nature Reserve
D. make people around the world know the Birdwatchting Club
40. A【解析】词义理解题：ideal意为“理想的；完美的”； Perfect意为“完美的”，故选A。
41. C【解析】细节理解题。第二段句“There are not many red-crowned cranes in the world.”可知丹顶鹤在世界上数量很少。
42. B【解析】由第五段句“We need more people to help us count and do something to help the birds”可知每天做一次统计。故选B。
43. B【解析】细节理解题。由最后一段最后一句“?make them actively take action to protect wildlife”可知选B。