外研小学起点 九年级(下) Module 3
Unit 3 Language in use
? Is life today better or worse than it was
50 years ago?
? The most important difference is that
people are healthier today, and they
? But people don’t take as much exercise
as they did.
? People walk or use their bikes less,
and they’re lazier.
? And that makes life more dangerous
and less healthy.
? I really want to do my best.
Complete the passage with the correct
form of the words.
People live longer (long) and stay (1) ________ (healthy) today than they healthier did 50 years ago. People are (2) taller ____ (tall) and (3) stronger (strong) because _______
they have a (4) better (good) diet. _____
Athletes can run (5) _____ (fast), jump faster
(6) higher (high) and throw (7) further ______ ______ (far) than ever before. Playing sports is one of the (8) ____________ (popular) most popular leisure activities. People also work
(9) ______ (hard) and lead (10) ______ harder busier
(busy) lives. Big cities are (11) ___________ less pleasant
(pleasant) places to live than before
because they are (12) ______ (dirty) and dirtier
(13) _____________ (crowded). They are more crowded
also (14) ______________ (dangerous). more dangerous
Traveling is (15) _____ (easy) than before, easier
and air travel is the (16) _______________ most comfortable
(comfortable) way to travel long distances.
Look at the two pictures and talk about how the town has changed. Use the word to help you.
big building busy houses
modern more narrow shops
streets tall traffic trees
The sample answers
1. There are more cars in the street today than it was 50 years ago. 2. The buildings are much taller, much more beautiful and much newer. 3. The streets are much wider.
4. The environment is much better.
5. I can see people are much busier
6. The life is much better than before.
7. There are more shops than before.
Write the words in the correct column.
composition diet nature education
pollution traffic weather
diet fitness illness medicine
education homework revision
Read the passage on Page 23 and
find three examples of things that
made life harder in the past than it is today.
1. People lived in very small houses,
very close to each other, with no
space for children to play. Families in those days were quite big. A whole street had to share one outside toilet.
2. The pollution from factories covered the streets. People put their rubbish outside in the streets. As a result, there were many diseases.
3. Children didn’t always go to school, because they had to work. They did dangerous and unhealthy jobs for little
money. Many were hurt in accidents
from the machines.
Read the passage again. How do we
know that… Write reasons. 1. ____________________________ There were five c
hildren in one ________, so families were big in family Victorian times.
They lived very close to each other, 2.______________________________ with no space for children to play ______________________________ and they had to sleep in houses of ______________________________ just two rooms ______________, so many houses were small.
3. ______________________________ A whole street had to share one
____________, so there was no indoor outside toile
toilet for each house. Most of the big cities were dirty and 4. _______________________________
unhealthy and there were many _______________________________ diseases ________, so people weren’t healthy.
5. ________________________, so they Children had to work hard didn’t go to school.
6. __________________________________ Many children were hurt in accidents
________________, so factory work was from the machines
Some difficult points:
1. be interested to do sth.
2. hear about/of 听说 3. grow up 成长 4. thousands of 成千上万的 5. half the population of the country 6. instead of 代替, 而不是 7. as a result 结果是
8. no space for children to play
9. share one outside toilet
共用一个外面的厕所 10. many diseases 许多疾病 11. very little money 非常少的钱 12. be very pleased to see 很高兴的看到……
Listen and complete the table. Grandmother
Started school Left school University Started work 8 14 no 14
first at 19 /Finish work 50
at 25 55
Write a passage comparing their lives.
The grandmother had eight brothers
and sisters so she had a bigger family.
She started school when she was older,
but she left school earlier…
Around the w rld
1. Do you know Dr Barnardo? 2. What do you know about him?
Read the text and write down the things which happened in the following years: 1) in 1870: Thomas Barnardo opened his first homes for children without parents.
2) in 1905:
Thomas Barnardo died.
Fill in the blanks.
In 1870, Thomas Barnardo studied medicine and he lived near the ________ ________. While he was studying, he hospital poor taught at a school for ____ children. He found out that many children
parents at the school had no _______ and no ______, so he ______ money and bought ______ homes raised a house for them as a school and home.
Choose the best answer.
1. Thomas Barnardo opened his first home for children ____ in 1870. C A. with parents B. without grandparents C. without parents
D 2. He was then studying ___ in
London in 1870. A. teaching C. transport A 3. He lived ____. B. science D. medicine
A. beside the hospital
B. in the hospital
C. far away from the hospital
B 4. He taught for ___ children at a school. A. rich B. poor C. beautiful D. ugly
5. ___ raised money and bought a house B
to use a school and home for poor
A. Mr Ronardo B. Dr Barnardo
6. There were about __
_ Barnardo’s C
homes, caring for more than ____
children in ____.
A. 1905, 100, 800 B. 8000, 100, 1095
C. 100, 8000, 1905 D. 100, 800, 1509
7. Are there any Barnardo’s homes? ___ B
A. Yes. B. No.
C. I don’t know.
Organising a debate about life in the past.
1. Work in groups. Read the subject of
Children should never work.
? extra money for the family
? stop children from being bored
? teach children the value of work
? help children to become independent
? Work is for adults, not children
? Children need to concentrate on learning.
? Conditions of work are not suitable for
? Families and employers may not treat children fairly.
2. Prepare your opinions for or against
the subject of the debate.
3. Have a debate. Take turns to say what
do you think and give your opinions
for or against the subject.
Write down a summary of the opinions for and against. Have a vote. Are most people for or against the subject?
Exercise: choose the best answer.
(A)1. — How _____the boy is! He doesn’t work hard. — Oh, his brother is even______. He never works hard. A. lazy; lazier C. lazy; lazy B. lazily; lazier D. lazily; lazy
(C)2. ____ you are, ____ mistakes
A. More careless; the less
B. The more careless; the fewer
C. The more careful; the fewer
D. More careful; less
(B ) 3. I did my _______ to prepare for the
exam, but I still failed it.
(C) 4. How many students in your class
wear the same clothes ____ you do? A. that C. as B. which D. what
1. _______ (million) of people will see Millions that film. 2.He never ____ (get) angry. gets training 3.He starts ________ (train) when he
was very young.
1. Write a short passage comparing the
life in the past and today.
2. Revise the usage of the positive degree,
the comparative degree and the
superlative degree of adjectives and