Unit 3 词汇学习
1.allow v. 准许，容许：准许：We allow smoking only in restricted areas. ? 允许…的进入：No pets are allowed inside.
allow+(名)/doing: I’ll never allow such behavior.
allow+(名)人+to do: My parents won’t allow me to stay out late.
The man pierced it with a knife.
The needle pierced the material.
a license to drive a car驾驶汽车的执照
The policeman asked to see his driving license.警察要求看他的驾驶执照。
4.silly adj. 愚蠢的；傻的
be silly to do=it is silly +of +人＋to do
You are silly to spend so much on clothes.
=It’s silly of you to spend so much money on clothes.
通常用复数形式 She wore golden earrings.她戴金耳环。
prep.（介词）In place of; rather than:代替；宁愿：
ordered chicken instead of fish.点了鸡而不是鱼
7.stay up 熬夜
在这里是“熬夜”，“不睡觉”的意思，相当于not go to bed。
He stayed up too late last night. 他昨天晚上熬夜到很晚。
She promised the children they could stay up for homework.
be strict with 对于…严格 First of all, you must be strict with yourself.
The teacher was very strict with his students. 这位老师对学生非常严厉。
He is always strict in his work. 他总是对工作要求很严格。
in the strict sense of word 严格说来
Concentrate on your work.集中精神工作。
A driver should concentrate on the road when driving.
I can’t concentrate on my work when I’m hungry. 我饿了就无法集中精力工作。 We must concentrate our attention on efficiency. 我们必须把注意力集中在效率上。
10.volunteer vt., vi.（常与to连用）自愿去做，主动请求去做
We all volunteered to paint the house.我们要求去粉刷房子。
（常与for连用）作为志愿者，志愿参军 volunteer for the army
n. 常与for连用, 表“对…的（自愿）”
Are there volunteers for the event?
11.Experience n.经验，体验； 经历，阅历
He's the best teacher, even though he has the least experience.
The best way to learn is to learn by experience.
Experience is the best teacher. 经验是最好的老师.
I have experience in teaching languages. 我有教语言的经验.
You have had much experience in teaching English.
I had an usual experience yesterday. 昨天我经历了一次不寻常的事情.
We wait on your reply to our letter. 我们等着你们的回信.
There is no reply to my letter or to my phone call.
They did not reply to our new proposal. 他们对我们的新建议没有作出答复。 He has not yet replied to my question. 他还没有回答我的问题。
succeed 作动词，意为“成功、达到、完成”，后接in sth. / doing sth.。例如： I hope you will succeed in your studies.
The policeman has finally succeeded in solving the problem.
He has had great success.
His new book was a great success.
He wants to be a successful writer.
I’m sure you will be successful.
1. be allowed to do sth 被允许干…；allow sb to do sth 允许某人干…； allow doing sth 允许干…
2. sixteen-year-olds = sixteen-year-old boys and girls 16岁的孩子
3. part-time jobs 兼职工作； 4. a driver’s license 驾照
5. on weekends 在周末；6. at that age 在那个年龄段
7. on school nights 在上学期间的每个晚上；8. stay up 熬夜
9. clean up (相当与及物动词) 清扫；10. fail (in) a test 考试不及格
11. take the test 参加考试；12. the other day 前几天
13. all my classmates 我所有的同学；14. concentrate on 全神贯注于
15. be good for 对…有益；16. in groups 成群的,按组的
17. get noisy 吵闹(系表结构)；18. learn from 向某人学习
19. at present 目前,现在 ；20. have an opportunity to do sth 有做…的机会
21.an English-English dictionary 一本英英词典；22. at least 至少
23.eight hours’ sleep a night 每晚8小时的睡眠；24. an old people’s home 敬老院
25. take time to do sth 花费时间干…；26. primary schools 小学
27. have…off 放假,休息；28. reply to 回答,答复；29. get in the way of 妨碍
30. a professional athlete 职业运动员；31. achieve one’s dreams 实现梦想
32. think about 思考,考虑；33. in the end 最后,终于
34. be serious about 对…热忠/极感兴趣
35. spend…on + n. spend …(in) + v-ing 在…上花费时间/金钱
36. care about 关心,担心,在乎；37. agree with 同意…
1. I don’t think twelve-year-olds should be allowed to get their ears pierced.
2.They talk instead of doing homework. 他们聊天而不是做作业.
3.He is allowed to stay up until 11:00 pm. 允许他们熬到晚上11点.
4.We should be allowed to take time to do things like that more often.
5.What school rules do you think should be changed?
6.The two pairs of jeans both look good on me. 这两条牛仔裤穿在我身上都适合.
7.The classroom is a real mess. 教室太脏了.
8.Should I be allowed to make my own decisions?
9.Only then will I have a chance of achieving my dream.
10.They should be allowed to practice their hobbies as much as they want.
11.We have nothing against running. 我们没有理由反对他跑步.