1. The writer of this passage hopes to __ .
A. recommend people how to select suitable reading materials B. introduce some ways that enable people to be competent readers C. advise people to do more practice in reading D. advise people how to make reading enjoyable
2. If you are a good reader, you would NOT ____.
A. glance at how the text is organized before reading it B. make any comments when reading in detail C. read in detail after previewing the text D. stick to one way when reading different types of text
3. If you meet the unknown words or phrases in the text, first you should ____.
A. ignore their meanings as long as you can understand the general idea of the text B. look them up in a dictionary if they prevent you from understanding the text C. decide an appropriate way to deal with them based on your purpose for reading D. guess their meanings and keep your purpose for reading in your mind
4. It can be inferred from this passage that __.
A. people should vary their reading speed according to their purpose for reading B. practice is important to improve your reading skills C. a good reader will never accept the views in books he reads D. plenty of time spent on reading enables you to be a successful reader
5. The word “relevant” in the 9th paragraph is close in meaning to ___. A.suitable C. favorable B. close D. Related
6. Which of the following statements is true according to the passage?
A. If someone is regarded as an auditory learner, he needs to circle all the numbers in that column. B. If someone likes to follow a map rather than spoken direction, he is likely to be a visual learner. C. If someone loves to build things with his hands, it is impossible for him to be an auditory learner. D. If someone relies on a written list when shopping, she will enjoy reading very much.
7. According to the context, the word “vague” means ____.
A. confused C. Concerned B. curious D. unclear
8. If someone circles “2, 3, 6, 9, 13, 14, 18, 23, 25, 26, 29, 31”, what will be the best way for him to learn English grammar according to the passage?
A. Make good use of diagrams and teachers’ explanation to remember grammar points. B. Observe sentences and find out grammar rules through discussion with his classmates. C. Read grammar books and memorize the rules in them. D. Use the words and sentences they learn by reading English materials in their writing and speaking.
9. Which of the following statement can be inferred from the passage?
A. It is impossible for someone to prefer all of the three learning styles. B. Realizing what kind of learners you’re can help you avoid the learning style you get used to. C. Tactile learners prefer concrete experiences rather than listen to explanations. D. The more learning styles someone prefers, the better he will learn.
10. This passage is written for those who ___.
A. feel puzzled about what kind of learners they are B. want to find out suitable ways to help them learn better C.
are interested in knowing more about their situation in learning D. desire to give advice to the people who want to learn best
1. 阅读本单元的第一篇课文, 然后根据文章 的内容结构, 填写下表： ⑴ _________makes perfect Practice successful How to become a ___________reader ⑵ Choose suitable texts make reading _____________to _______ enjoyable. the techniques of good readers ⑶ Learn _____________________________
2. 请对上表的内容进行整合, 补全下面 的摘要。
To be a successful reader, we need to keep practising reading with the help of the techniques adopted by good readers and the suitable texts that we choose to make reading enjoyable.
阅读本单元第二篇课文,并根据要求,写 一篇150词左右的英语短文。 [内容要点] 1.你认为自己属于哪种类型的学习者？ 2.你在英语学习方面遇到了什么困难？ 3.说明你是怎样利用恰当的学习方法, 或打算怎样利用这些方法克服这些困难。
Thanks to the quiz, I have a better idea of
my learning style and find I am an auditory learner, because listening to a cassette has always been my favourable means to learn English. Besides, I am always attentive in class when my teacher illustrates language points.
As for my English learning, I find it a big challenge for me to apply the words and expressions to my written and spoken English. Although I can not find any difficulty in memorizing their meanings, yet I do not have any idea whether it is appropriate to use them in my writing.
Sometimes, I even find the vocabulary stored in my mind goes blank whenever I make a conversation with an English speaker, which does frustrate me a lot. Having read this text, I realize the means I have adopted in my English learning are far from enough. I should turn to more alternative means that are suitable to my learning style.
For example, when I learn a new word or expression from a textbook, I will consult the examples given by a dictionary to see in what circumstance we can use it properly and then I will use it to make meaningful sentences of my own. In this way, I am confident that my proficiency in English can increase a lot.
1. efficient adj. 有效率的; 高效的(working well and without wasting time, money or energy)
例句: I’ve been looking out for an efficient teaching method. 我一直在寻求一种有效的 教学法。
拓展 efficiently adv. 有效地；效率高地 efficiency n. 效率；功率 inefficient adj. 效率不高的 区别: effective adj. 有效的
运用 根据汉语意思完成下列英文句子。 ⑴ 做计划最高效的办法是把任务按轻重缓 急安排好。 The most efficient way _______________________to plan is to put your task in order of priority. ⑵ 这个计划旨在提高效率和客户服务。 This proposal aims at improving efficiency _________________ and customer service.
2. competent adj. 有能力的; 胜任的 (having enough ability or
skill to do something satisfactorily) 例句: We have to admit that he’s a highly competent man. 我们必须承 认他是个非常能干的人。
competence n. 能力 incompetent adj. 没有能力的; 不胜任的
(be) competent to do... 能做/胜任某事 be competent in (doing) sth. 做?能够胜任
同义 capability n. 能力
capable adj. 有能力的; 胜任的
be capable of (doing) sth. 能做某事
运用 根据汉语意思完成下列英文句子。 ⑴ 通过训练她获得高水平的英语能力。 competence in She gained a high level of ___________ English through being trained.
⑵ 他非常善于交际。 competent at/capable of He is very ________________________ communicating.
3. adopt v. 采用；收养(take and use something as one’s own)
例句: One way to know what techniques to use is to study the techniques that good readers use and then adopt them in your own reading. 要知道用什么方法的一条 途径就是要学习好的阅读者所使用的方 法, 然后把它应采用到自己的阅读当中。
拓展 adopted adj. 被收养的；被采用的 adoption n. 采用；收养；接受 adapt to... 适应…… adaptable adj. 适应力强的 adaptation n. 适应；改编本
运用 根据汉语意思完成下列英文句子。 ⑴ 他决定采取更激进的方法来解决这 个问题。 He decided __________a more radical to adopt approach to the problem.
⑵ 对大部分学生来说, 适应大学生活没 什么困难。 Most students have little difficulty in adapting to _____________ college life. ⑶ 他们专门从事将工业建筑改建成住房 的工作。 the adaptation They specialize in ________________ of industrial buildings for housing.
4. consult v. 咨询; 查阅(ask for information from someone/to look in a book to find information) 例句: If this is a serious problem for you, consult your doctor. 如果这对你来 说是个严重的问题, 咨询一下你的医生。
拓展 consultation n. 咨询；磋商 consultant n. 顾问 搭配
consult sb. about sth. 就某事请教某人
比较 refer to sth. 查阅 refer sb. to sth. 向某人咨询 refer to sb. 谈及某人
⑴ 查一下时间表, 看看末班火车 什么时候开出。 Consult/ Refer to the timetable to see when the last train leaves.
⑵ Mr. Bell 说他已经向他的律师 咨询了这件事。 Mr.Bell said he had consulted his lawyer about this matter/had referred his lawyer to this matter.
5. acquisition n. 获得(act of gaining sth. by one’s own ability) 例句Some three hundred educators attended a seminar on second language acquisition. 三 百位教育学专家出席了第二语言习得的研讨 会。 拓展 acquire v. 获得；获取
搭配 acquire skills/knowledge/a reputation ...
inquire (about) v. 询问；打听 require v. 要求
运用 根据汉语意思完成下列英文句子。 ⑴ 这么大量的知识
，怎样才能学到呢？ How can such a large amount of knowledge be acquired ______________ . ⑵ 他们在忙于寻找适合小孩阅读的资料。 the acquisition They are busy with _________________ of the reading materials for the kids.
6. tend v. 往往；倾向于??(be likely to behave in a certain way)
原句: I tend to see pictures in my mind when I am reading or listening. 当我读和 听的时候,我的头脑里往往会浮现出图画。
派生 tendency n. 倾向；趋势
tend to do易于做某事; 有做?的倾向 have a tendency to do有做?的倾向 比较
intend (sth.) to do 打算；计划 attend 出席；参加；照顾
运用 根据汉语意思完成下列英文句子。 ⑴ 班里的每一个人都必须出席毕业典礼。 Everyone in the class is expected to ______ attend the graduation ceremony. ⑵ 健身房在六点钟左右往往很热闹。 The gymtends to be/has a tendency to be ____________________________ very busy at around 6 o’clock.
⑶ 她由进行24小时看护的护理人员照料。 She is ____________by a 24-hour nursing attended staff.
⑷ 你打算对这个怎么办？ What do you _________ to do about this? intend
7. be up to sth. 符合? (数量或水平)达到? 例句: There are certain techniques you can learn and then it is up to you to practise. 有 许多技巧可以供你学习, 究竟选择哪些去训 练就取决于你。
同义 depend on 取决于??
运用 根据汉语意思完成下列英文句子。 ⑴ 我们大家都有责任解决街区的问题。 up to all of us It is ______________to try to solve all the problems in our neighbourhoods.
⑵ 恐龙身长可达27米。 up to 27 meters in length Dinosaurs were ________________________. ⑶ 雇员如果达不到公司规定的标准就会被 解雇。 Employees will be dismissed if they failed to be up to the standards ______________________set by the company.
1. The text you choose to practice with should not be too difficult or you will soon get frustrated or bored. 你所选择 的文本不应该太难, 否则你就会因此而 感到沮丧和烦闷。
句型: ... should... or... 应该?? 否则?? 提示: -or前面的分句可用情态动 词或祈使句, or后面的分句的时 态用will,表示将会带来的后果。
⑴ 我们应该坚持自己的梦想, 否则我 们将失去许多成功的机会。 We should stick to our dreams, ______ or we _________________________________ will lose a lot of opportunities _____________. to succeed
⑵ 每一个人都应该有责任节约自然资 源,否则我们人类的生存将受到威胁。 Everyone should take the responsibility of saving natural resources, _________ or the survival of us human beings will be __________________________________
2. I find it tiresome to sit and concentrate on anything for a long time. 我觉得长时间 坐着并集中精神于一些东
句型: I find it... to do ... 我觉得做某事是? 的
提示: it是to do 的形式宾语。
⑴ 我发现当一名亚运志愿者是一件非常有 意义的事。 I find it very meaningful _______________________to be a volunteer in Asian Games.
⑵ 她发现提高公众的安全意识很必要。 She finds it necessary ______________________ to raise the public awareness of safety.
For other tasks such as finding certain facts you can read much faster, slowing down to read more carefully only when you see a sentence that might be relevant to your task. 对于其它一些任务例如寻找特定的事实, 我 们可以读得快很多。只有当我们读到一个跟 任务相关的句子时, 才需要放慢阅读的速度。 (P33)
结构分析：这个句子的主干是⑴ you can read... _____________. slowing down是主干中谓语动词⑵ read _____的伴随 状语。“when you see a sentence ...” 是非谓语动 词slowing down的时间状语。在这个时间状语从 句中, “...that might be relevant to your task”是⑶ 定语 _____从句, 修饰先行词a sentence。
句脉把握：For other tasks...you can read much faster, slowing down when...
1. continue v. 继续 ⑴ ___________ adj. 继续的; 不间断的 continuous
⑵ ___________ adj. 不断的；频繁的 continual
⑶ _____________ n. 持续 continuance
2. suppose v. 猜想；认为；假定
⑴ supposed __________ adj. 应该的; 信以为真的
⑵ supposing conj. 假定；假设 __________ ⑶ ____________ adv. 大概；可能 supposedly
⑷ supposition n. 假定；猜想 ____________
3. equal adj. & v. 相等的; 同样的; 与??相等 equally ⑴ __________ adv. 同等地; 相等地 equality ⑵ __________ n. 平等
equalize ⑶ __________ v. 使相等
4. frustrate v. 使懊恼；使懊丧
frustrated ⑴ ___________ adj. 懊恼；懊丧
frustrating ⑵ ___________ adj. 令人懊恼的
5. bore v. 使厌烦
⑴ ________ adj. 厌倦的; 烦闷的 bored ⑵ ________ adj. 令人厌倦的; 厌烦 boring
⑶ __________ adv. 令人厌烦地 boringly
⑷ __________ n. 厌烦; 无聊 boredom
6. adopt v. 收养；采纳 ⑴ adopted __________ adj. 收养的; 移居的 adoption ⑵ __________ n. 收养；采用 adoptive ⑶ __________ adj. 收养的
7. depend v. 依靠；信赖 ⑴ dependence _____________ n. 依靠; 信赖 ⑵ dependable _____________ adj. 可靠的 ⑶ dependability n. 可靠性 _______________
8. efficient adj. 效率高的; 有能力的
efficiently ⑴ ___________ adv. 效率高地 ⑵ ___________ n. 效率；功能 efficiency
boring 1. It is ________(bore) to listen to the same story.
2. Please stop your continual __________(continue) questions.
efficiency 3. We must improve our __________ (efficient) as soon as possible.
dependence 4. Find a job and end your _________ (depend) on your parents.
5. The terrible weather frustrated __________