1. Many of us are interested ________ music. We often listen to it while walking ________ the way home.
A. in; by B. at; in C. in; on D. at; to
2. —Which would you like to drink, coffee or orange juice?
—________. Please give me a cup of tea.
A. Neither B. Both C. All D. None
3. I like cartoons, ________ I didn?t go to watch The Adventures of Tintin last week because of the test.
A. so B. and C. but D. or
4. —Would you like to go and have some coffee with me?
—I?d like to, but my mother ________ me outside.
A. waits for B. has waited for C. waited for D. is waiting for
5. Jeff studied hard and got ________ grades than before.
A. good B. better C. best D. the best
6. —Can you tell me _________ the old people?s home?
A. when they will visit B. when they visited
C. when did they visit D. when will they visit
7. —I feel a bit hungry now.
—Why not _________ for dinner with us?
A. go B. going C. to go D. gone
8. Tom got all A?s _________ he spent most of his time studying.
A. if B. before C. because D. although
9. The boy checked his test paper in order to get full marks.
A. enough careful
C. careful enough B. enough carefully D. carefully enough
10. —Are these books _________, Dad?
—Yes. I?m looking for them. Thank you.
A. yours B. his C. hers D. theirs
11. —Hello, is that John speaking?
—Sorry, he _________ to the library. May I take a message?
A. has been B. has gone C. will go D. was going
12. Jenny likes the new neighborhood because people here are _________.
A. friendly B. softly C. politely D. nicely
13. —Must I do all the housework, Mum?
—No, you _________. Just clean your bedroom.
A. mustn?t B. shouldn?t C. needn?t D. can?t
14. The man _________ his coat when he walked into the warm room.
A. took away B. took off C. took down D. took out
15. —My computer doesn?t work. Can you give me a hand?
A. You?re right B. It doesn?t matter C. Thank you D. No problem
请认真阅读下面短文，从短文后各题所给的A、B、C、D四个选项中，选出最佳选项。 I was in my parked car, holding a book and reading. Once in a while I looked up, watching the people passing by. When I raised again, I saw an old lady with a large bag , but also make her out of breath. She looked and I thought she must be more than 70 years old.
She stopped and put a hand out to rest against my car, gently closed her and took a deep breath.
Was there a way I could do for answers. However, because of my careless head movement, she noticed me, and moved her hand away from the car. I picked up a bottle of water at once, gently opened me, and then shook her head and walked away.
I was with myself. I should have been more careful not to move. Instead a hand, I had interrupted (打扰) the old lady?smoment of rest. I was feeling blue. Just at that moment, I saw the lady coming back again. I opened the door and patted (轻拍) next to me. She sat down, opened her bag and offered me a banana. I took it and offered her the bottle of water again. She took it.
for a couple of minutes. Those minutes brought in the air, opened the car door and walked away.
I was trying to someone in distress (困苦). In turn, I became distressed and she took away my distress and replaced it with quietness.
16. A. hand B. arms C. head D. eyes
17. A. heavy B. large C. quick D. usual
18. A. sad B. tired C. hungry D. excited
19. A. bag B. door C. arms D. eyes
20. A. anything B. something C. nothing D. everything
21. A. paid B. cared C. asked D. searched
22. A. softly B. quickly C. strangely D. thankfully
23. A. looked at B. looked after C. listened to D. waited for
24. A. lonely B. angry C. worried D. surprised
25. A. holding B. taking C. giving D. showing
26. A. sad B. quiet C. magic D. proud
27. A. bed B. floor C. chair D. seat
28. A. slept B. talked C. rested D. listened
29. A. sound B. voice C. music D. note
30. A. believe B. call C. help D. change
Anna was excited about starting her first day in the new school. However, when she first walked past the students in the school, her excitement turned to fear, and then to loneliness over the next few days. “Why didn?t anyone say ?hi? to me or invite me to his or her lunch table? Is it because of my clothes or my hair?” she wondered. Almost every day during the first week, Anna stayed alone, thinking that there must have been something wrong with her or that nobody saw her at all!
What caused Anna?s problem? The reason was that nobody knew her. Most people don?t like talking with strangers. So it?s your job to volunteer tknow. The easiest way to catch their attention is to notice them first. Make eye contact with them and smile at them. When you smile at them, you are doing your best to show your kindness to them, and they are sure to understand that you are saying, “Hey, how?s everything going?” In this way, you are taking the first step towards the road to friendship.
When Anna realized this, she started talking to her classmates. Guess what happened? It really worked. She had made two friends by the end of the month.
In fact, saying “hi” or making friends with strangers is not hard. And the joy it brings you is really great. So try to open your heart to strangers!
31. What was Anna?s problem?
A. She was afraid of entering a new school.
B. She had no friends in her new school.
C. She didn't like making friends with strangers.
D. Her classmates didn't like her clothes or hair.
32. Which of the following shows the change in Anna?s feelings?
A. afraid→relaxed→nervous→happy B. happy→lonely→sad→proud
C. nervous→angry→happy →sad D. excited→afraid→lonely→happy
33. According to the writer, what is the easiest way to catch others? attention?
A. Noticing them first B. Talking to them
C. Doing something for them. D. Making yourself cool.
34. What can you learn from the passage?
A. Teenagers can't get along well with each other.
B. Loneliness is a common problem these days.
C. Opening our heart to strangers can help us get friends.
D. It?s hard to take the first step towards the road to friendship.
35. Who would miss his or her family most?
A. Steve. B. Tomas. C. Jayne
36. Miko would feel bad if there was no _____________.
A. rain B. food C. family
37. How many of them mentioned that they would miss food?
A. One. B. Two. C. Three. D. Jaime. D. music D. Four.
The webs that spiders (蜘蛛) build to catch
insects seem weak. However, the strength of spider
thread is greater than steel. Webs can even stand up to very strong storms.
In each spider web, some threads are sticky (粘
的), but some are not. When a spider is moving on
the web, it will not step on the sticky threads. After a
time the silk will lose its stickiness and become
unable to catch insects. Then, spiders usually eat
their own web.
Now a team of scientists has worked out why the spider web is so strong. It is not just the strength of the thread, but the clever design of the web. The key to a web?s success is its ability to keep its shape and strength even after some of the threads break, say scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The scientists found the thread itself has the ability to become softer or harder. So it can hold different types of heavy things.
In tests, scientists used three other strong materials (材料) made into the same webs. The spider thread was six times stronger than any other material. More surprisingly, when the scientists took away up to 10 percent of the threads from different places, the web didn?t become any weaker. Actually, it became up to 10 percent stronger.
The spider web?s clever design gives scientists many new ideas. The findings could help design safer buildings and even a new type of strong material. “It?s a really good chance,” said Markus Buehler, a professor at MIT. “It may give us some new ideas for engineering.”
38. According to the passage, the spider web is strong because _____________.
a. the spider?s thread is sticky b. the thread has a lot of strength
c. the web has a clever design d. the web can keep the strength forever
A. ab B. ac C. bc D. Bd
39. In paragraph 4, the scientists? tests show that _____________.
A. the spider?s thread is stronger than the other three materials
B. the spider?s thread is the strongest material in the world
C. the spider?s thread can be as soft or hard as it needs to be
D. taking away some spider thread makes the web weaker
40. From the last paragraph, we learn that _____________.
A. people can use spider webs to build houses
B. the findings give people new ideas for buildings
C. there are many reasons why the spider web is so strong
D. Professor Buehler will make a new type of material
41. Which of the following would be the best title for the passage?
A. How spiders catch insects B. Spiders have strong webs
C. Spiders are clever designers D. Webs are stronger than steel
If the rose can be said to be a special flower, then the apple can be said to be a
special fruit. It is very important in American culture. American stories speak
of Johnny Appleseed, who went throughout America collecting apple seeds
and planting apple trees. He had a great love for nature and went through
fields and farms adding richness and beauty to the country.
One of the first sayings taught to school children is, “An apple a day
keeps the doctor away.” This short saying encourages children to eat fresh fruit
to keep healthy. If someone always says good words to a person, people will call him an “r, is not a good name. If someone is very dear to us, we say that he or she is the “apple of our eye”.
Most people believe that the fruit which Eve gave to Adam was an apple, even though the Bible (圣经) never says so. The apple, therefore, is a deep part of the language and stories of America.
An apple is also delicious. Apples can be cooked in many ways, used as a dessert, and made into sweet juice.
In many parts of the country during the harvest season, a popular activity is to go into an apple garden to pick apples. Washington, D. C. and New York are both famous for their apples.
Finally, when it?s time to take a vacation to American cities, one can always visit New York, which is “the biggest apple” of all the American cities.
42. Why was Johnny Appleseed so famous?
A. He had a great love of nature.
B. He liked the American people.
C. He went throughout the country.
D. He collected apple seeds and planted apple trees.
43. What does the underlined phrase “apple polisher” in Paragraph 2 mean?
A. Something for cutting apples. B. A person who likes to please others.
C. A person who is dealing with fruits. D. A machine for cleaning apples quickly. 44. Which of the following is TRUE with apples?
A. Apples are medicine.
B. Apples are the most important food.
C. New York is famous for its big apples.
D. The Bible says Adam was given an apple.
45. The passage is mainly about ___________.
A. apples in American culture
B. stories about the apple C. some famous sayings of the apple
D. big cities that is famous for apples
A. 请根据句意或括号中的中文提示、英文释义，写出句中所缺单词，使句子通顺。 (每小题1分，共5分)
46. We should ask more people to go to work by _________ (自行车) to reduce the pollution.
47. Some schools offer free _________ (教育) to children from poor families.
48. The local library will _________ (let someone borrow something) books for free next year.
49. The ice is too _________ (not thick) to skate on, it?s rather dangerous.
50. There has been no rain for over two months and the land is very _________.
B. 请根据句意从方框中选择合适的单词，并用其适当形式填空，使句子通顺。 (每小题1分，共5分)
51. The story tells us that the strange animal is the _________ son of the dragon.
52. The 70-year-old man was _________ ill and died a few months later.
53. In late autumn almost all the _________ turn yellow.
54. Students should be taught how to learn by _________.
55. In November 2010, the Asian Games took place in Guangzhou, a _________ city in China.
C. 请根据句意从方框中选择合适的动词，并用其适当时态填空，使句子通顺。 (每小题1分，共5分)
56. — Helen, I called you yesterday evening, but nobody answered the phone.
— Oh, I _________ a walk with my sister at that time.
57. The weather report says we _________ a fine day tomorrow.
58. — Why won?t you go to the movie with us, Gina?
Because I _________ the film twice.
59. Now my father _________ his bike to work every day instead of driving.
60. I?m now in Nantong with my friend Tom. We _________ here by train.
61. He has to do some homework in the classroom before leaving school. （改为一般疑问句） ________ he ________ to do any homework in the classroom before leaving school? （对划线部分提问） ________ ________ will the family move to their new house?
63. People call the man “Wolf Dad” because of his cruel way of parenting. (改为被动语态)
The man ________ ________ ”Wolf Dad” because of his cruel way of parenting.
64. The reporter asked the girl, “Do you like your volunteer work?” (改为间接引语) The reporter asked the girl ________ she ________ her volunteer work.
65. Horses are larger than any other animals in this area. （保持句意基本不变） Horses are ________ ________ among all the animals in this area.
Li Dong is a farmer. He has a very big farm. On the farm, he (66)g_______ oranges, grapes and bananas. Many people come to visit his farm. He is a successful young man and becomes very
In 2003, he went back to his hometown (68)a_______ he finished middle school. “What work can I do?” he said to himself. Then he had an idea. “I?m (69)i_______ in farming. I can grow fruit!” He began to (70)w_______ many programmes on TV about growing fruit. He also read a lot of (71)b_______ about it. Then he went to work on Mr Wang?s farm for two years. He
(72)l_______ a lot there.
In 2005, he started his own fruit farm. At that time, Li Dong?s farm was small. But now, his farm is much (73)l_______. His fruits are very good. He sends them to many big (74)c_______ in China, such as Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou. He also grows vegetables and raises chickens on his farm. His family eats healthy food. He has a very happy (75)f_______.
When Matty Sallin, 34, was studying art and technology at New York University, he got an interesting task for the final exam: Create something for the ordinary family. He decided to create an alarm clock.
“To get up in time, many people have to use an alarm clock every morning. But the sound of the clock is extremely noisy and unpleasant,” he says. So before he started to design the new clock, he asked different people what they?d like to wake up to in the morning. A lot of them said, “The smell of bacon (培根肉)”.
So Sallin and his two classmates invented a new kind of alarm clock: a wooden box with a
pig face and a digital (数码的) clock that uses the smell of cooking bacon to wake people up. He explains, “There?s no danger of burning, because I built it carefully. It uses special light bulbs (灯泡）instead of a fire for cooking and turns off automatically (自动地) after ten minutes.” Just a few easy steps are required to set the “alarm”.
“What you do is to put a few pieces of bacon meat inside the box the night before, and then you set the alarm” says Sallin. “If you set the alarm for 8:00, it will turn on at 7:50 and slow cook for ten minutes under the bulbs. Then the bulbs turn off and a fan blows the smell out through the nose of the pig.
“So the pleasant smell of bacon will wake you up. There will be no more noisy alarms,” says Sallin. “Then you can open the door on the side and pull the bacon out and eat it.”
When Sallin was a kid, he spent a lot of time making drawings of inventions. “I wanted to make a lift in my back yard and a special tree house” he says. “But I never really thought I'd become an inventor!”
Sallin got an A for his alarm clock and went on to invent other things —but people continue to email him every day asking where they can buy his alarm clock. If he decides to produce and sell his special alarm clock, maybe he can build a successful business out of it.
76. What was Matty Sallin?
77. How many people worked together on the new alarm clock?
78. Why are light bulbs used for cooking bacon instead of a fire?
79. What do you think Sallin is going to be in the future? （请自拟一句话作答）
80. What do you think of the new alarm clock? （请自拟一句话作答）
I?m glad to hear from you. I did a survey about vacation activities among my classmates. Here are the results.
_____________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________________
If you have more questions, please ask me.
一、1-5 CACDB 6-10 BACDA 11-15 BACBD
二、16-20 CABDB 21-25 DBABC 26-30 BDCAC
三、31-35 BDACC 36-40 DBCAB 41-45 DDBCA
四、46. bike/ bicycle 47. education 48. lend 49. thin 50. dry
51. ninth 52. seriously 53. leaves 54. themselves 55. southern
56. was taking 57. will have 58. have seen 59. rides 60. arrived
五、61. Does, have 62. How soon 63. is called
64. if/ whether , liked 65. the largest
六、66. grows 67. famous 68. after 69. interested 70. watch
71. books 72. learned/ learnt 73. larger 74. cities 75. family 七、76. (He was) A college/ university student.
78. Because there is no danger of burning.
79. I think he is going to be a successful businessman./ a rich man/ a famous man/ an inventor./ …
80. It is a great invention./I like the new clock because I am fond of eating bacon./ I don?t think the smell can wake me up because I am a heavy sleeper./ …
Among the fifty students taking part in the survey, half of them stay at home, fifteen of them take part in some volunteer activities and the other students travel either in China or abroad.
As for me, I am going to volunteer my time to help others. First, I am going to visit an old people?s home to cheer them up. I am good at singing and dancing, so I can put this love to good use by spending time with these elders. Helping children with their English at an after-school teaching center is also a good choice for me. English has always been my favourite subject and I am among the best English learners in my class. Not only can I take the chance to do something meaningful, but I can improve my own English by teaching others. I am sure I will have a busy and wonderful winter vacation.