Module 10 My future life
Unit 2 I wish you success for the future.
stay in touch owe pay back kindness
保持联系 归因于；归功于 偿还 体贴
model role model
1 Think about a speech at a school leavers’ party, and answer the questions in pairs. There may be more than one answer.
Who is likely to be thanked?
1. Who is likely to be thanked? a, b and c a) Family. b) Schoolmates. c) Teachers. d) Strangers. 2. What is the speaker likely to say? a and b a) Thank you. b) Good luck! c) I’m sorry. d) Cheers! 3. Which personal qualities are likely to be mentioned? a, c and d a) Good behaviour. b) Bad temper. c) Patience. d) Good fun.
Now read the passage and check.
What can the speech be about?
What will the speaker say in the speech?
2 Read and pay attention to the words marked in the questions. Try to answer the questions.
1. “…so please forgive me if it shows!” What does it refer to? Her nervousness (she is nervous). 2. “A life without old friends is like a day without sunshine.” So in other words, what are old friends like? Sunshine.
3. “How many of us owe our good grades to the suggestions you have made…” So do we know how many? No, we don’t. 4. “We can never pay you back for your kindness, your patience…” So what should we do instead? Say thank you. 5. “I couldn’t say it better myself.” What does it mean? That they will meet strangers who will become friends in their new schools.
3 Find the sentences which show:
1. the three things they have learnt “The three things are friendship, love and knowledge. ” 2. the three groups of people they have learnt from “The first group is my friend…” “The second group is our parents and grandparents.” “…the third group is our teachers.”
3. What they have learnt from each group of people Friends: “the importance of friendship.” Parents and grandparents: “we thank you for the love you have shown us during our years at junior high school. For making a home where we feel both safe and relaxed, and where we can prepare ourselves for our schooldays.” Teachers: “we can never pay you back for your kindness, your patience, and gift of knowledge which you have offered us.”
4 Read and answer the questions about the style of the speech. There may be more than one possible answer.
1. What’s the purpose of the speech? a, c
a) To thank people.
b) To say sorry.
c) To look forward to the future.
d) To describe personal achievements
2. Which words can you use to describe the tone? careful excited humorous moving √ √
3. Which words and phrases do
you often find in speeches? a, d a) I wish you success for the future.
b) We’ll always stay in touch.
c) Sometimes you’ve been strict with us.
d) We promise that we’ll never forget …
1. it’s time to do sth 做某事的时间到了 It’s time to start our work now. it’s time for sb to do sth 该是某人做某事的时候了 It’s time for me to stop to prepare the meal for our family. 2. at the end of … 在??的末尾/结束的时候 At the end of this year, we will have a party to celebrate the coming year.
相关短语: in the end 最后 end …with 以??结束 In the end, he won the prize and became famous all over the world. Please end the article with a simple sentence. 3. Others will go on to senior high school… go on 继续?? go on doing sth 继续手头做的事情 go on to do sth 继续做原来间断的事情 go on with sth 继续手头做的事情
如： He went on washing the dishes in the kitchen. He went on to wash the dishes after answering the phone. He went on with his homework. 4. stay in touch 保持联系 = keep in touch with sb get in touch with sb 与??取得联系 We have kept in touch with him for years, but last month he moved without informing us. We got in touch with each other three years ago.
5. Sometimes the friends you treasure most are the friends you see less often. 注意比较级的表达方式。 一般情况下比 较级的构成是形容词 / 副词 + er 或 more + 形容词/ 副词，但是这种比较级都是表示正 向比较，即“好”的比较级是更好，“差” 的比较级是“更差”，“重要”的比较级 是“更重要”。但是，如果表示“反向比 较” 就要用 less + 形容词 / 副词。 即less important 表示 “不如??重要”，而这 里的 less often 表示“不如??经常”。
6. A life without old friends is like a day without sunshine. 英语中表示“像??”时，可以用 be like, as …as …表示，这种比喻方式叫做“明喻”。
7. thank sb for sth / doing sth 为??感谢?? They thanked their parents for bringing them up. 8. prepare for sth 为??做准备 I have to prepare for the text coming new week.
prepare sth 准备?? Mother prepares meals for us, while we children help to wash dishes. 9. owe… to… 把……归功于 ……;欠某人?? I owe my success to my education. 我的成功要归功于我所接受的教育。 I owe 10 yuan to Janet. = I owe Janet 10 yuan. 我欠珍妮特10元钱。
10. pay sb back 偿还?? He has paid me back all that he had borrowed from me. ? pay money for sth 为??付钱 He paid 2 dollars for the meal. ? pay sb money for sth / doing sth 为??付某人??钱 They paid me a lot of money for repairing their car. 11. be strict with sb 对??严格/严厉 My mother has always been strict with me.
12. I couldn’t say it better myself. 当我们想表达“最??”时，也可以
13. So from the bottom of my heart, I thank you all and wish you success for the future. from the bottom of one’s heart 发自内心，诚挚地，衷心地 When I said I thank you, I meant it from the bottom of my heart. 当我说“感谢你”的时候，我是发自内心的。
1. I’m very proud 我很自豪 2. speak to sb. 和某人说话 3. As we all know 我们都知道
4. It’s time to do sth 该做某事了
5. Say goodbye to sb 和某人说再见
6. be sorry to do sth 抱歉做某事
7. in the future 将来
8. all the time 一直，始终 9. stay in touch 保持联系 10. thank sb for sth 为某事感谢某人 11. prepare sb for sth 使某人对某事有准备
12. owe … to …
13. pack back 偿还
14. be strict with sb 对某人要求严格
15. from the bottom of my heart 衷心地
5 Imagine you’re going to give a speech at your school leavers’ party.
Start: Ladies and gentlemen, I’d like to thank you for… Feeling: I feel a bit nervous as… Thanks: There are many people who I’d like to thank. The first is / are… He’s / She’s / They’ve always shown me great kindness …
Examples: One day, he / she helped do my homework … Saying: They say that your school days are the best days at your life. End: Thank you and good luck in the future.
1. A new factory is being built in Neijiang.I hope it_____at the end of this year. A (2010.四川省内江市) A.will be finished B.finishes C.will finish 2. —I really hope to keep in touch with Lily. —Sorry. I don't know_____. C （2009年湖北省武汉市） A. what her name is B. what her job is C. what her number is D. when she left
1. Write a passage for your speech
at the school leavers’ party.
2. Finish the exercises in the workbook Ex. 7, 8, 9 & 10.