1. 基本概念：过去进行时表示在过去某一时刻或一段时间内正在进行的 动作。这一特定的过去时间除有上下文暗示以外, 一般用时间状语来表示。
2. 结构 was / were ( not ) + 动词-ing
I/He/She/It was working. We/You/They/ were working.
I/He/She/It was not working.
We/You/They/ were not working.
Was I working? Yes, you were. No, you were not. Were you working? Yes, I was. No, I was not. Was he/she/it working? Yes, he/she/it was. No, he/she/it was not. Were we/you/they working? Yes, you/we/they were. No, you/we/they were not. 注：
1) was not常缩略为wasn’t; were not常缩略为weren’t。
2) 一般过去时与过去进行时用法的比较: 一般过去时表示在过去某个时间发生过的动作或存在的状态, 而过去进行时则表示在过去某一时刻或某一段时间正在进行的动作。 例如:
David wrote a letter to his friend last night. 大卫昨晚给他的朋友写了封信。(信写完了。)
David was writing a letter to his friend last night. 大卫昨晚一直在给他的朋友写信。(信不一定写完。)
when, while 区别：
1) 由when引导的时间状语从句，主句用过去进行时，从句应用一般过去时； 由while引导的时间状语从句，主句用一般过去时，从句应用过去进行时。 When the teacher came in, we were talking.
当此句改变主从句的位置时，则为： While we were talking, the teacher came in.
1. Now Jim’s sister __________________(read) newspapers.
2.He __________________(watch)TV at nine last night.
3.He __________________(watch)TV last night.
4. What __________________the twins __________________(do) then?
5. — ________Lily ______________(draw) a cat when the teacher came in ? — No, she _________
6. __________________you __________________(have) supper at that time?
7. Jack __________________(not read) a book at nine yesterday evening.
8. Now Jim __________________(play) basketball on the playground（操场）.
9. What ___________________ he _______________ (do) at nine o’clock last night.
10. They ___________________ (listen) to the music at that time.
11. When the teacher came in, the students ___________________ (read) the text.
12. We ___________________ (watch) TV when suddenly the telephone rang.
13. Her mother ____________(cook) while her father was watching TV
一.Fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the words in brackets.
When I ____ (be) in the sixth grade, I ______ (join) a piano competition. I
________ (practice) for four hours every day and my piano teacher _____ (come) three times a week to _____ (help) me. Then the big day finally _______ (arrive). I ____ (be) so nervous when they _____ (call) my name. I _____ (go) up and _______ (start) to play.
While I ___________ (play), everyone ____ (sit) still and listened. I played the song without any mistakes. Then I ______ (wait) for them to call out the winner. When I ______ (hear) my name, my heart ____ (beat) so quickly I thought I would stop breathing. I couldn’t believe it. I ____ (win)! It ____ (be) the happiest day of my life!
二.Fill in the blanks with when or while
1. _____ I was walking home from school, I saw
a strange light in the sky. But _____ I pointed
it out to my friend, it went away.
2. ______ I told my older brother about the strange light in the sky, he just
laughed and didn’t believe me.
3. ______ my brother was laughing, the television news reported that other
people had seen the light as well.