Would you mind down your radio a little, please? 你把收音机音量调小一点，好吗 The squirrel was lucky that it just missed being caught. 这松鼠幸运得很，刚逃避了被逮住的
I. Find the choice that best completes each of the following sentences:
1. She refused ___ use her dictionary.
a. to let me b. me to c. me using d. letting me
2. Don’t forget ___ goodbye to her, will you?
a. to say b. saying c. being said d. having said
3. Fifty miles up the air is too thin ___ sound.
a. carry b. to carry c. carrying d. to carrying
4. We have much work ___ this afternoon.
a. to do b. doing c. do d. to
5. He is used to ___ hard work.
a. do b. did c. doing d.
6. The pupil was afraid of ___ scolded by the
a. being b. be c. been d. to be
7. Could you tell me ___ the machine?
a. how working b. how to be worked c. how work d. how to work
8. I would have finished my composition by
now if I had not stopped ___ with him.
a. talking b. to talk c. talked d. talk
9. I’m so sorry to have kept you ___ for a long
a. waiting b. waited c. to wait d. wait
10. The peasants have been busy ___ the rice
in the past few days.
a. get in b. to get in c. getting in d. for getting in
11. When the storm comes all windows ___.
a. ought to close b. ought to be closing c. ought to be closed d. ought to closed
12. We heard nobody ___ the room.
a. entered b. to enter c. would
enter d. enter
13. Xiao Wang likes ___ harder work.
a. being given b. be given c. to
give d. gives
14. He opened the window ___.
a. for the fresh air to come in b. for the fresh air come in
c. for the fresh air coming in d. for the fresh air to coming in
15. Here are some knives for them ___.
a. to cut b. to cut by c. to cut from d. to cut with
16. ___ work means moving a body through a
distance by a force.
a. Having done b. Done c. Doing d. Being done
17. It is no ___ arguing about it, because he
will never change his mind.
a. use b. help c. time d. while
18. “Why were you so late for work today?” “___ to the office was very slow because of the traffic.”
a. To drive b. Driving c. I drove d. That I drove
19. It is no good ___ to come now. He is
a. if you ask him b. that you ask him c. to ask him d. asking him
20. Is there any use ___?
a. to try to phone him b. trying to
c. tried to phone him d. to trying to
21. I would appreciate ___ it a secret.
a. you to keep b. that you would keep c. your keeping d. that you are keeping
22. He didn’t seem to mind ___ TV while he
was trying to study.
a. their watching b. them to watch c. that they watch d. their watch
23. I vaguely remember ___ something like
a. him having said b. his saying c.
for him to say d. that he say
24. She apologized for ___ to come.
a. her not being able b. her being not
c. not being able d. that she’s not able
25. It’s no use ___ me not to worry.
a. you tell b. your telling c. for you to have told d. having told
26. I love ___, but I hate ___ in a crowded
a. to swim, swimming b. swimming, swimming
c. to swim, to swim d. swimming, to swim
27. He was lucky to escape ___ to prison.
a. being sent b. sending c. to be sent d. sent
28. I don’t like ___ bills, but if I have
received some I like ___ them immediately.
a. pay, paying b. to pay, paying c. paying, pay d. paying, to pay
29. The problem requires ___ into
a. looking b. being looked c. to look d. looked
30. I meant __ it but I forget to tell you.
a. your getting b. you to get c.
you getting d. you get
31. The house needs ___, but we plan to wait
until next summer to do it.
a. to paint b. being painted c.
painted d. to be painted
32. Jenny said it was not right to punish her
about ___ this time.
a. her to be late b. her to have been late c. her being late d. she being late
33. One of the machines stopped ___ and
caused a blockage in the assembly line.
a. to work b. working c. having
worked d. worked
34. I used ___ a lot of pocket money when I
a. to get b. that I got c. to getting d. to have got
35. No one thought that John’s suggestion
was worth ___.
a. to consider b. considering c.
to be considered d. of consideration
36. We must have an engineer ______ the
workers build the house.
a. to see b. see c. seeing d. seen
37. Induction means ______ a general
conclusion from special facts.
a. to come to b. to coming c. coming to d. came
38. Since she is angry, we ______.
a. had better leaving her alone b. should leave her alone
c. might as well leave her alone d. had rather leave her alone
39. You should remember ______ from the
point when you are writing a composition.
a. don’t wander b. not to wander c. no wandering d. not wander
40. You should really avoid ______ at home
alone as he is old and ill.
a. your father stay b. your father to stay
c. your father’s staying d. your father who stays
41. John didn’t want to risk ______ wet as he
had only one suit.
a. getting b. to get c. being got d. to be gotten
42. It won’t be any use ______ to borrow any 8
a. you to try b. of your trying c. trying you d. your trying
43. The law requires all cars _______ for
safety and efficiency.
a. being tested regularly b. to be regularly tested
c. be regularly tested d. regularly tested
44. I remember ______ to the zoo by my
father when I was little.
a. being taken b. taking c. have been taken d. to have taken
45. I completely forgot ______ the front door
last night and feel fortunate that nothing is stolen.
a. locking b. being locked c. to lock d. to have locked
46. I regret ______ you that your application
has been refused.
a. informing b. being informed c. to be informed d. to inform
47. I didn’t mean ______ anything, but these
apples looked so good I couldn’t resist ______ one.
a. to eat…trying b. to eat…to trying c. eating…to try d. eating…to trying
48. I know it isn’t important but I can’t help
______ about it.
a. but to think b. thinking c. think d. to think
49. Uncle Dick has already arrive. Do you
expect ______ to see him?
a. Going b. go c. to go d. that you go
50. While she was shopping, she kept ______
the list to make sure she hadn’t forgotten anything.
a. checked b. checking c. to check d. check
51. You’d better ______.
a. to have your shoes mended b. to have mended your shoes
c. have your shoes mended d. having your shoes mended
52. The machines are made ______ at full
a. work b. working c. to work d. to be worked
53. It is certain that men will never stop
______ new energy sources to power their growing industry.
a. finding b. to find c. having found d. found
54. Professor Smith is said ______ another
important discovery in chemistry.
a. having made b. having been made c. to have made d. to make
55. There are plans ______ a number of
atomic power stations in this regions.
a. to build b. to be built c. building d. being built
56. All of us are looking forward to ______ a
trip to the Ming Tombs.
a. make b. making c. to making d. have made
57. I would like ______ that I don’t have a
very high opinion of you.
a. to have you know b. have you know
c. to have your known d. having you know
58. The famous scientist was easy _______
a. to get b. for getting c. getting d. got
59. The match was cancelled because most of
the members ______ a match without a standard court.
a. objected to having b. objected to have
c. were objected to have d. were objected to having
60. I like watching TV ______ to the
a. more than to go b. more than going c. than going d. rather than to go
61. Mrs. Brown is supposed ______ for Italy
a. to have left b. to leave c. to be leaving d. to have been left
62. There’s one thing I dislike about him: he
will never admit ______ a mistake.
a. having made b. making c. being made d. have been made
63. The chairman insists that there be a
meeting _______ within the shortest possible time.
a. to hold b. to be held c. to have been held d. to be holding
64. When they met, Leonards and his enemy
were fighting ______.
a. killed each other b. to kill each other
c. killing each other d. to be killed each other
65. At last they succeeded ______ the job.
a. to persuade him to take b. in 12
persuading him to take
c. to persuade him taking d. in
persuading him taking
66. He listened to me ______ what Mr. Smith
had said the day before.
a. to repeat b. to be repeated c. to
repeating d. repeat
67. Would you be ______ to help me with my
a. enough kind b. kind enough c. too kind d. kind too
68. The father advise ______ the
a. his son to not buy b. his son not to
c. his son’s no buying d. that his son not
69. It takes a whole year for the earth ______
round the sun once.
a. traveling b. to travel c. traveled d. travels
70. The factory ______ next year will be one
of the largest in this city.
a. to build b. to be built c. being
built d. having been built
71. “Where should I send my application?”
“The Personnel Office is the place
a. to sent it b. sent it to c. to send it to d. for sending it
72. Although John was the oldest in the
family, he always let his sister _____ charge of the house.
a. to take b. taking c. take d. taken
73. It is impossible for the plan ______.
a. to put into practice b. not to put into practice
c. to be put into practice d. to be not put into practice
74. ______ is what she wants to know.
a. Who to do it b. Whom to do it c. Who does it do d. Whom doing it
75. My wife suggested ______ to Scotland
for a holiday, but I favor ______ Wales instead.
a. to go…to visit b. going …visiting c. to go…visiting d. going …to visit
II. From the four underlined parts in each of the following sentences choose the one that is wrong:
A B C D
2. They didn’t
A B C D
A B C D
A B C D
5. “with you?” he aske
A B C D
A B C D
A B C D
A B C D
A B C D
A B C D
I. 1 – 35 A A B A C, A D B A C, C D A A D, C A B D B, C A B A B, D A D A B, D C B A B, 36 – 75 BCDBC, ADBAC, DABCB, CCACA, BAAAB, AABBB, DBBBB, CCCAB II. 1 – 10 B C B C C, C C C D D