1. give up
2. try out
3. most of
4. not…any more
5. at the age of
6. at that time
7. send message by telegraph
8. graduate from
9. turn down
10. put up
11. at the top of
12. get together
13. from house to house
14. at the end of
15. on top of
16. as well
17. climb down
18. in a single night
19. even though
20. live on
21. once upon a time
22. according to
23. keep warm
24. on the other hand
25. on show
26. on display
27. in the future
28. look up
29. Tree Planting Day
30. just right
31. as often as possible
32. wash away
33. in this way
34. in a few years' time
35. point to
36. thanks to
37. more or less
38. so far
39. shut down
40. send up
41. put off
1.set one's mind to do sth.
2. put … together
5. be filled with sth.
6. give birth to
7. be covered with
8. be made of
11. be used for
12. have nothing to do with
13. come up with
14. no matter how…
15. keep sb./sth.warm
1. ---I'm trying to …
2. --- I'll …
3. --- Which of these would you like most to …?
4. --- What do you want to … ?
5. --- I want to…
6. --- I hope to …
7. --- I plan to…
8. --- I'm going to…
9. --- I'm so happy that …
10. --- I'm glad ….
11. --- me too.
12. --- What's this called in English?
13. --- What's it made of?
14. --- It's made of …
15. --- What's it used for?
16. --- It's used for …
17. --- English is widely used for business/ …
18. --- It is one of the world's most important languages as it is so widely used.
19. --- Where is / are … grown / produced / made ?
20. --- The (ground ) must be just right…
21. --- It's best to …
22. --- The hole should not be too deep.
23. --- The Great Green Wall is 7000 kilometres long, and between 400 and 1700 kilometres wide.
24. --- The more, the better.
25. --- More or less!
26. --- The (ground ) must be just right…
27. --- The hole should not be too deep.
ENTRANCE EXIT PUSH PULL NO SMOKING NO PARKING
FRAGILE THIS SIDE UP NO PHOTOS DANGER BUSINESS HOURS
PLAY STOP PAUSE ON OFF
1. be able to/ can
Mr. Green is able to finish the work on time.
= Mr. Green can finish the work on time.
(2) be able to可以用于各种时态，而can 为情态动词，多用于现在时，其过去式为could。
We are sure he will be able to be an artist when he grows up.
Miss Lin has been able to pay the car by herself.
(1) Can除了表示“能够，有能力做某事”以外，还有如下用法，而be able to 则没有。表
Can I have a look at this picture? 我能看看这张图片吗？
Can we leave school after 6:00 p.m. ?我们可以在下午6点之后再离开学校吗？
That man can’t be our new teacher. 那人不可能是我们的新老师。
The exam can’t be too difficult.考试不会太难。
2. bring/ take/carry/fetch
He brought us some good news.他给我们带来了一些好消息。
Please don’t forget to bring your homework tomorrow.
Please take the umbrella with you. It’s going to rain.要下雨了，请把伞带上。 She took the dictionary away.她把字典拿走了。
They carried the boxes into the factory. 他们把箱子搬进了工厂。
A taxi carried them to the station. 出租车送他们到了车站
The waiter fetched them some apples.侍者为他们取来了一些苹果。
Mother fetched the doctor for her ill son.妈妈为生病的儿子请来了医生。
3. whole/ all
The whole country is suffering the war. 整个国家正遭遇战争。
I just want to know the whole story.我仅仅只想知道完整的故事。
They will spend their whole holiday in Canada.
She has finished writing the whole book. 她已经写完了整本书。（冠词后 whole用来修饰可数名词（名词用单数）。
He ate the whole cake. 他把整个蛋糕都吃了。（强调整整一个蛋糕）
Miss Green knew all the students in the class.
Jim finished all his homework in twenty minutes.
Of all the boys here, he sings best.在这里所有的男孩之中，他唱的最好。（定冠词前） The boy can answer all these questions.那个男孩能够回答所有的这些问题。（指示代词前）
All these five books are mine.这五本书都是我的。（修饰可数名词）
She was worried about her son all the time.她总在为她的儿子担心。（修饰不可数名词）
4. fill/ full
(1) fill常作动词，与with连用，意思是“注满、装满”，也能表示“填空；补缺”的意思。 He filled the box with chalk.他把粉笔装满了盒子。
The bucket is filled with water.水桶里装满了水。
All the rooms are full of people.所有的房间都满人了。
The bus was full. He had to wait for the next one.这辆车人满了，他只有等下一辆。
5. be made of/ be made from/ be made in/ be made into
(1) be made of表示"由…制成", 一般指能够看出原材料，或发生的是物理变化。
This table cloth is made of paper.这张桌布是由纸做的。
This salad is made of apples and strawberries.这种沙拉是由苹果和草莓做的。
(2) be made from也表示"由…制成"，但一般指看不出原材料，或发生的是化学变化。 Bread is made from corn.面包是小麦做的。
The lifeboat is made from some special material.这个救生艇是由某种特殊材料制成的。
(3) be made in指的是产地，意思为"于…制造"。
The caps are made in Russia.这些帽子产于俄罗斯。
My mother likes to buy things which are made in China.
(4) be made into的意思为"被制成为…"。
This piece of wood will be made into a small bench. 这块木头将要被制成一个小凳。 The paper has been made into clothes for the doll. 纸被做成了洋娃娃的衣服。
6. none/ no one/ neither
(1) none既能指人，又能指物，意思是"没有一个，无一"，常用作代词，与of连用。 None of us has heard of him before.我们没有一个人以前听说过他。
I like none of the coats. 那些外套我一件都不喜欢。
None of the answers is true.没有一个答案是正确的。
None of the rooms are mine.没有一间房子是我的。
(2) no one只能用来指人，且不能与of连用。
No one is absent.没有人缺席。
I knew no one there.那里我一个人也不认识。
No one agrees with you. 没有人同意你的说法。
(3) neither作代词是对两者都进行否定，意思为"两者都不"，作主语时谓语动词用单数。 Neither of the boys is from England. 这两个男孩都不是来自英国。
I know neither of them.他们两个我都不认识。
7. found/ find
I can't find my glasses.我找不着我的眼镜了。
He found it boring to sit here alone.他发现独自坐在这里很没劲。
(2) found是另外一个词，与find并没有关系，意思是"成立、建设"，常用作及物动词。 The People's Republic of China was founded in 1949.中华人民共和国成立于1949年。 The school was founded by the local residents.这所学校是由当地居民修建的。
8. hear / hear of/ hear from
We heard the news just a moment ago.我刚听说这个消息。
Can you hear me? 能听见我说话吗？
(2) hear of的意思是"听说"，一般指非直接的听见，而是听别人说的。后不能接宾语从句。 I have never heard of her.我从未听说过她。
They heard of the film long time ago.他们很久以前就听说过这部电影。
(3) hear from的意思是"收到来信"，与"听"无关。
I often hear from him. 我经常收到他的来信。
He hasn't heard from his mother for a long time.他很久没有收到妈妈的信了
9. send/ send for
The company sent him to study abroad.公司派他到国外学习去了。
Mr. Brown sent her children away.布郎夫人送走了孩子们。
(2) send for意思是"召唤；派人去取；派人去拿"，而非本人亲自去。
They have sent for a repairman.他们已经派人去请了一名修理工。
She sent for some flowers.她派了人去买花。
10. get to/ arrive/ reach
(1) arrive后不能直接接地点，是一个不及物动词。若表示到达一个相对大的地点，用arrive in ; 若表示相对小的地点，用arrive at .
The delegation will arrive in China at 5:00 p.m.代表团将于下午5:00到达北京。
It was dark when they arrived at the railway station.当他们到达火车站的时候，天已经黑了。 When did she arrive here last time? 她上次是什么时候到这儿的？（副词前省略介词）
They reached London on Friday.他们星期五到达了伦敦。
The news only reached me yesterday.我于昨天才接到这个消息。
Can you reach that apple on the tree? 你能够到树上的哪个苹果吗？
He can always be reached on the phone.可随时打电话跟他联系。
We often get to school on foot.我们经常步行到学校。
They got to the top of the hill at noon.他们于中午到达了山顶。
Aunt Li often asks her son ________ too much meat. It’s bad for his health.
A. don’t eat B. not to eat C. not eat D. to not eat
【解析】答案：B。该题考查的是动词不定式的构成和用法。这个句子的基本句型是ask sb. not to do sth. 这里，not to eat 是不定式的否定式做宾语补足语。
China is becoming stronger and stronger, so Chinese ________ in more American schools now.
A. was taught B. is taught C. teaches D. taught
This painting ________ to a museum in New York in 1977.
A. sells B. sold C. was sold D. is sold
---If you ________ a new idea, please call me as soon as possible.
---Sure, I will.
A. keep up with B. catch up with C. feed up with D. come up with
【解析】答案：D。该题考查的是短语动词用法。本单元学习的短语动词come up with a new idea意思是想出新主意，正符合题意。
1. The boy is too hungry, he has already eaten an apple, but he asks for_______ one.
A. the other B. other C. another D. others
2. It’s going to rain. You’d better __________ there.
A. don’t go B. to not go C. not to go D. not go
3. He spent much time __________ the work.
A. at B. in C. on D. for
4. Mr Green would like to meet the headmaster _______ 8:00 ______ 9:00 tomorrow morning.
A. from; to B. at; at C. between; and D. from; and
5. When _______ his uncle _________?
A. did; dead B. has; died C. did; die D. has; been dead
6. They ________ this city last week.
A. reached to B. got C. arrived D arrived in
7. The TV set doesn't ______ too much. I can afford it.
A. take B. spend C. cost D. pay
8. His father will be back from Beijing ________a month.
A. between B. after C. in D. for
9. He read nothing, _________he?
A. does B. doesn’t C. did D. didn’t
10. There’s _____ milk in the bottle, is there?
A. little B. few C. a little D. a few
11. Look, there is a map of China ______ the two windows.
A. between B. among C. about D. in
12. Two languages are very _____ used. One is English, Chinese is ______ one.
A. wide, another B. widely, the others C. wide, the other D. widely, the other
13. I was badly ill yesterday. That's ______ I didn't go to school.
A. why B. because C. as D. since
14. " Have a good time this weekend!" " ________."
A. That's OK B. Thanks. The same to you.
C. That's all right. D. Have a better time than me.
15. ______ of the money is yours.
A. None B. No one C. Neither D. Nothing
16. ______ of the apples are red.
A. One thirds B. First third C. Two third D. Two thirds
17. It's getting dark. You'd better ______ out alone.
A. don't go B. not to go C. not going D. not go
18. His home is ______ the northeast of China.
A. among B. in C. at D. to
19. All the old things were invented ______ ago.
A. hundreds of year B. hundreds of years
C. a hundreds of years D. a hundred of years
20. Jack likes to ______ others, but never writes to them.
A. hear of B. hear about C. hear from D. hear
1. This job can _________ quite quickly. (do)
2. ________ you ________ your homework yet? (finish)
3. That pen isn't yours. It's _________ .(her)
4. Can you help __________ with my English?(I)
5. Lin Lin is the __________ in our class.(young)
6. Who is _____________, Mike or Jack ? (tall)
7. We live on the ___________floor. (twenty)
8. English _________ in many countries today. (speak)
9. I __________ born on July 2nd, 1989. ( be)
10. You’d better __________ here as soon as possible. (leave)
a horse came up to him. But the farmer’s heartfarmer or a poor man like him to come along and help him. He couldn’t ask such a great man to the farmer, “I see youhe took one end of the bag, the farmer took the other, they together raised it and put it on the horse.
“Sir,” asked the farmer, “how can I pay you?”
“It’s quite easy.” The great man replied with “Wherever you see anyone else in trouble, do the same for him.”
1. A. fall B. fell C. falling D. fallen
2. A. what B. how C. that D. it
3. A. very B. so C. quite D. too
4. A. lend B. ask C. borrow D. gave
5. A. riding B. ride C. rode D. rides
6. A. falls B. sinks C. sank D. rose
7. A. poor B. great C. good D. bad
8. A. surprised B. surprising
C. surprise D. surprises
9. A. needs B. need C. to need D. needed
10. A. smiles B. smile C. a smile D. an smile
The war finally ended in 1945. During the next years, two great things
happened-my dad came home from the army, and I was born! I was the first child, but I wasn't alone for long. In the next four years, my mother had three more boys.
It was great having a big family! The four of us were very close in age, so we played
together all the time. We liked the game “policemen and thieves” best. It was exciting. Everybody always wanted to be a thief. Of course, someone had to be the policeman, and it was usually me.
Well, I have grown up now, but I still love the game. There is only one thing
different. I'm a real policeman, Policeman Joe, so it's not a game any more.
1. Joe's father was once a soldier.
2. During the war his father came back home.
3. Joe was the youngest child in the family.
4. He got on well with his brothers.
5. He always had to be the thief in the game.
Michael Jordan is the most famous basketball player in the world. He was born in Brooklyn, New York. He didn’t like to talk to other people about himself. He was very short. He didn’t play very well when he joined the basketball team in his high school at first. But the next year things changed greatly for him as he grew much taller.
Michael Jordan became famous when he joined the university basketball team in North Carolina. Michael used his speed and strength(力量) to reach the basket again. He played so well that people called him “Air Jordan”.
After college, Michael became a basketball team member in the Chicago Bulls. The NBA was very surprised at this high-flying player. He was named “Rookie”(新秀) of the year in 1985 and “Most Valuable(价值的) Player” in 1987. He once set
a record(创纪录) by getting 63 points in one game.
1. Jordan is a basketball superstar in ____________________.
2. When he joined the basketball team in his high school, he ___________ at first.
A. didn’t play very well
B. played very well
C. grew much taller
D. set a record
3. He began to become famous in __________________________.
A. the university basketball team
B. the NBA
C. his high school at first
D. the Chicago Bulls
4. He is often called “_________________”.
B. the NBA
C. Air Jordan
D. Most Valuable Player
5. The NBA was very surprised at the superstar when __________________.
A. he was young
B. he joined the basketball in his high school
C. he joined the university basketball team
D. he joined the Chicago Bulls
The 29th Olympic Games will be held in our country in 2008. As a great many people will visit our country, the government(政府) will build new hotels, a large stadium(体育馆), and a fine new swimming pool. They will also build new roads. The games will be held just outside the
capital and the whole area(地区) will be called “Olympic City”. Workers will build a railway and some new roads by the end of 2005. The fine modern buildings have been designed(设计) by the best designers.
The people, old and young, in the capital are getting ready for the Olympic Games by learning English. We will be very glad to see the new buildings go up. We are very excited and looking forward to the Olympic Games because they have never
been held in our country before.
1. Because of the 29th Olympic Games, _________________________.
A. a lot of new buildings have been finished
B. a large number of people visited our country
C. many new roads and a railway line have been built
D. a lot of new buildings have been planned
2. From the passage we know that the Olympic Games _______________.
A. have just been held in our country
B. will be held in our country for the first time
C. are held in our country every four years
D. were held in our country four years ago
3. The passage tells us that everyone in the capital ____________ for the Olympic Games.
A. is busy building roads
B. is studying English
C. is designing buildings
D. is having sports and games
4. The whole area with hotels, stadiums, swimming pools is called ___________.
C. Olympic City
D. Olympic Games
5. “Go up” in the last passage means ______________.
A. 建起 B.上涨 C.增长 D.上升
1.---How are you? ---I’m _______________.
2 .---Shall I call you Jim or James ? ---It doesn’t ___________.
3.---I didn’t win in the sports meeting. ---Bad __________.
4.---What does that word mean? ---______________ one?
5. ---I think foreign languages are more important than science.
---I really can’t _________ with you.
6. ---What were you doing at that time when your father came back yesterday?
---I was ___________ the floor.
7. ---Thank you for your help. ---That’s all ____________.
8. ---Have you found my ruler yet? ---I’m __________ I haven’t.
9. ---Is Bill as tall as Li Lei? ---No, he isn’t _________ tall as Li Lei.
10. ---Well _________. Congratulations. ---Thank you.
1. A: My eyes started to fail at the age of seven.
B: My eyes started to fail when _________ _________ ________ _______ old.
2. A: He is so tired that he can’t do anything else.
B: He is _____________ tired ___________ do anything else.
3. A: We’ll remember Comrade Lei Feng for ever.
B: Comrade Lei Feng ________ _______ ______ by us for ever.
4. A: How expensive the car is!
B: ____________ ____________ expensive car it is!
5: A: We use computers in many ways.
B: Computers ____________ __________ in many ways.
Tomorrow we will __________________________ to win the football game.
When the teacher came in, the students ______________________________.
Our country has become __________________________________________.
His picture __________________________________ at our school tomorrow.
It ________ me two hours _______ _______ reading the novels.