1. ( )The underlined part in the word “birthday” is pronounced as ________.
A. /i:/ B. /i/ C. /?:/ D. /?/
2. ( )Mary has ________ e-dictionary. She got it from her uncle.
A. a B. an C. the D. /
3. ( )--Do you know Alice? --Yes. I know _______ very well.
A. she B. her C. herself D. hers
4. ( )--A latest English newspaper, please?
--Only one copy left. Would you like to have ______, sir?
A. one B. this C. that D. it
5. ( )The teacher asked the students to ________ a story about a trip to the moon.
A. get up B. turn up C. clean up D. make up
6. ( )It is ________ outside. Let’s put on our raincoats and go out.
A. cold B. hot C. sunny D. rainy
7. ( )Drivers ________ make telephone calls while driving according to the new traffic rules.
A. mustn’t B. couldn’t C. needn’t D. may not
8. ( )--I haven’t seen Jack for three days, is he ill?
--________________. His mother told me that he was in hospital.
A. I am afraid so. B. I hope so.
C. I don’t think so. D. I am afraid not.
9. ( )--So many people in the park?
--Yes. Nobody likes to stay at home ________ Saturday morning to Sunday evening.
A. in B. on C. from D. at
10. ( )The boy talking in the next room can’t be Tom. I know his ________ well.
A. noise B. sound C. voice D. habit
11. ( )--Will you go to the movies with me?--Not until I _______ my homework.
A. have finished B. will finish C. finished D. had finished
12. ( )A person ______ can reach out to help others is always welcome.
A. whom B. who C. that D. which
13. ( )--Look, the light in Jim’s room is still on. Do you know ________?
--To study for the coming exam, maybe.
A. if he works hard B. how he is
C. why he stays up so late D. when he will go to bed
14. ( )Terry _______ anything about it. So he had a great surprise when he heard of it.
A. didn’t tell B. doesn’t tell C. wasn’t told D. hasn’t told
15. ( )--Be quick, we must be the first to interview the pop star. --Sure. _______________.
A. East or west, home is the best. B. The early bird catches the worm
C. Many hands make light work D. Don’t pull all your eggs in one basket.
Fishing with Grandpa
One day, my grandfather went fishing, and let me go with him. He handed the rod(钓竿) to me, held my 1________ and taught me how to throw my line into the water. Our bobbers floated(浮标漂浮着) together 2________ we sat there, hoping for a bite.
The sun 3________ us. We sat and talked. “I remember when I could sit here and watch the fish 4________ in the water,” he said. “Sometimes, they’d jump out and 5________ beside me. I didn’t need a rod and bait (饵) at that moment.
“We have to be 6________.” He continued. “The fish may come or they may not. It doesn’t matter. We’re out in the 7________. It’s a beautiful day. We’re lucky to have the warmth of the sun. 8________ it had rained, we wouldn’t be here.”
He leaned(靠) back against a tree. “Yes, it’s a 9________ day,” he said.
I watched our bobbers. 10________ fish pulled them under that day. It didn’t matter. I was with Grandpa. I felt grown up. Just being with him was special.
He was well loved by everyone and I wanted to 11________ him when I grew up. He’d worked hard all his life for what 12________ he had, but he could still find time to laugh.
He was an(a) 13________ man. In the short time we had together, he taught me many things: how to bait a hook(钩子), the value of a good 14________, the value of a good friend, respect for my elders, and the 15________ of working hard and living harder. The list is long.
1. ( )A. feet B. legs C. arms D. ears
2. ( )A. before B. as C. since D. after
3. ( )A. warmed B. heated C. shone D. brightened
4. ( )A. running B. going C. lying D. swimming
5. ( )A. stand B. sleep C. land D. sit
6. ( )A. excited B. sad C. worried D. patient
7. ( )A. day B. sun C. water D. pool
8. ( )A. If B. When C. While D. Until
9. ( )A. funny B. busy C. big D. great
10. ( )A. Many B. Enough C. Some D. No
11. ( )A. look after B. learn from C. be like D. care for
12. ( )A. few B. little C. much D. many
13. ( )A. interesting B. amazing C. relaxing D. surprising
14. ( )A. laugh B. time C. work D. fish
15. ( )A. confidence B. importance C. dependence D. difference
More and more people like bicycling and it is no surprise. It is fun, 1__________ and good for the environment. Maybe that’s 2__________ there are 1.4 billion bicycles and only 400 million cars on roads worldwide today. Bikes can take you almost 3__________, and there is no oil cost!
Get on a bicycle and ride around your neighborhood. You may discover something new all around you. Stopping and getting off a bike is 4__________ than stopping and getting out of your car. You can 5__________ to work and benefit(受益) from the enjoyable exercise without
polluting the environment. You don’t even have to ride all the day.
Folding(折叠) bikes 6__________ well for people who ride the train. Just fold the bike and take it with you. You can do the same on an airplane. A folding bike can be put into a suitcase. You can also take a common bike with you when you 7__________. But be sure to look for information by getting on airline websites. Not all airlines are bicycle-friendly to 8__________. Health Benefits of Bicycling:
? It helps to prevent heart diseases.
Bicycling helps to control your weight.
A 15-minute bike ride 9__________ and from work three times a week burns off five kilos of fat in a year.
? Bicycling can improve your mood(心情). Exercise 10__________ bicycling has been shown to make people feel better, more relaxed and self-confident.
? Bicycling is healthier than driving.
1. I went to the l____________ to borrow an English-Chinese dictionary yesterday.
2. Jackson f___________ off his bike and broke his arm this morning.
3. Would you mind c_________ the door? It’s cold outside.
4. Mr. Smith often walks to work. But s___________ he rides his bike to work.
5. The boy is a good swimmer. He can swim a____________ the wide river.
6. Working all day on the computer makes my e___________ really tired.
7. The beautiful bird in the tree i___________ many people. They all stopped to look up.
8. The color of the sweater fits you well, t___________ it’s a little too small.
9. There are f_________ people in the art club, eighteen girls and twenty-two boys.
10. The old woman has to look for a much q__________ house for she can’t sleep well in the