SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT
READ CAREFULLY: AUTODESK, INC. (“LICENSES THIS SOFTWARE TO YOU ONLY UPON THE CONDITION THAT YOU ACCEPT ALL OF THE TERMS CONTAINED IN THIS SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT (“
BY SELECTING THE “I ACCEPT” BUTTON AT THE END OF THIS AGREEMENT OR BY COPYING, INSTALLING, UPLOADING, ACCESSING OR USING ALL OR ANY PORTION OF THE SOFTWARE YOU AGREE TO ENTER INTO THIS AGREEMENT.
A CONTRACT IS THEN FORMED BETWEEN AUTODESK AND EITHER YOU PERSONALLY, IF YOU ACQUIRE THE SOFTWARE FOR YOURSELF, OR THE COMPANY OR OTHER LEGAL ENTITY FOR WHICH YOU ARE ACQUIRING THE SOFTWARE.
IF YOU DO NOT AGREE OR DO NOT WISH TO BIND YOURSELF OR THE ENTITY YOU REPRESENT: (A) DO NOT COPY, INSTALL, UPLOAD, ACCESS OR USE THE SOFTWARE; (B) SELECT “I REJECT” AT THE END OF THIS AGREEMENT (WHICH WILL CANCEL THE LOADING OF THE SOFTWARE); AND (C) WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS FROM THE DATE OF ACQUISITION, RETURN THE SOFTWARE TO THE LOCATION WHERE YOU ACQUIRED IT FOR A REFUND.
COPYING OR USE OF THIS SOFTWARE OR ANY ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTATION EXCEPT AS PERMITTED BY AGREEMENT IS UNAUTHORIZED AND CONSTITUTES A MATERIAL BREACH OF THIS AGREEMENT AND AN INFRINGEMENT OF THE COPYRIGHT AND OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS IN SUCH SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION. IF YOU COPY OR USE ALL OR ANY PORTION OF THIS SOFTWARE OR ITS USER DOCUMENTATION WITHOUT ENTERING INTO THIS AGREEMENT OR OTHERWISE OBTAINING WRITTEN PERMISSION OF AUTODESK, YOU ARE VIOLATING COPYRIGHT AND OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW. YOU MAY BE LIABLE TO AUTODESK AND ITS LICENSORS FOR DAMAGES, AND YOU MAY BE SUBJECT TO CRIMINAL PENALTIES.
1. 1.1 “
1.2 “ means a single electronic device with one or more central processing units (CPUs) that accepts information in digital or similar form and manipulates the information for a specific result based on a sequence of instructions.
1.3 “a copy of Software onto a hard disk or other storage medium
through any means (including, but not limited to, use of an installation utility application accompanying the Software).
1.4 “ble license scope in Section 2.2 hereof.
1.5 “that Autodesk may specify in the applicable User Documentation. The Permitted Number is one (1) unless otherwise provided by Autodesk in writing.
1.6 “that is delivered prepackaged with this Agreement. If programs are delivered to You as part of a software package that includes the term “series” in its title, the term Software shall include all programs delivered to You as part of that series.
1.7 “means the explanatory printed or electronic materials that Autodesk or its authorized distributor incorporates in or delivers in or on a package with the Software or sends to You on an invoice, via email, facsimile or otherwise after You acquire or Install the Software, including, but not limited to, license specifications, activation code, license files, instructions on how to use the Software, and/or technical specifications.
1.8 “i.e., the individual who reads and is prompted to accept this Agreement) if you acquire the Software for yourself or the company or other legal entity for whom you acquire the Software.
2. 2.1 Autodesk grants You a non-sublicensable, non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license to use copies of the Software in the jurisdiction in which you acquire the Software, in accordance with the applicable User Documentation, within the scope of the License Parameters. Autodesk’s license grant is conditioned on Your continuous compliance with all license limitations and restrictions described in this Agreement. If You violate any of these limitations or restrictions, the license grant will automatically and immediately expire. The license descriptions in this Section 2 define the scope of rights that Autodesk grants to You. Any usage of the Software outside the scope of the applicable license grant constitutes an infringement of Autodesk’s intellectual property rights as well as a material breach of this Agreement.
2.2 Autodesk’s license grant is subject to one or more of the License Parameters defined in this Section 2.2 as specified in the User Documentation. Unless Autodesk expressly specifies or agrees otherwise in the User Documentation, all Software shall be governed solely by a license for Standalone (Individual) Versions (see Section 2.2.1).
2.2.1 If Autodesk identifies the Software as a “Standalone Version” or as an “Individual Version” or if the User Documentation does not identify the Software by any of the version designations set forth in Sections 2.2.2 through
2.2.6, You may Install and Access one (1) copy of the Software on one (1) individual Computer, which may not be connected to a network in a manner that allows more than one
(1) user to Access, upload, operate, view or otherwise create or use a copy of the Software. You may not Install or Access the Software other than on one (1) computer at a time.
2.2.2 . If Autodesk identifies the Software as a “Network Version” in the applicable User Documentation, You may Install, Access and use one (1) copy of the Software on Your Computer file server, for Your own internal business needs, with the Autodesk License Manager tool. The Software may be Installed on or Accessed by other Computers, or on an individual Computer, as a multiple-user installation, so long as the maximum number of concurrent users does not to exceed the Permitted Number.
2.2.3 “Educational Institutional Version” in the applicable User Documentation, You may Install and Access a single copy of the Software on up to the Permitted Number of Computers, only for educational purposes (as further specified in the applicable User Documentation) and for no other purpose. Without limiting the foregoing, Educational Institutional Versions of the Software may not be used for commercial, professional, or for-profit purposes. Additionally, functional limitations apply, as set forth in Section 6.
2.2.4 . If Autodesk identifies the Software as a “Student Version” in the applicable User Documentation, You may Install and Access a single copy of the Software on up to the Permitted Number of Computers, only for personal learning purposes, and no other purpose. Unless otherwise provided by Autodesk in the User Documentation, Student Versions of the Software may be used for a period of one (1) year from the date of Installation. Without limiting the foregoing, Student Versions of the Software may not be used for commercial, professional or other for-profit purposes and may only be used by persons who qualify as a permitted user of Student Versions (as further specified in the applicable User Documentation for the jurisdiction in which the Software is acquired). Additionally, functional limitations apply, as set forth in Section 6.
2.2.5 evaluation, trial, or not for resale version (“”) in the applicable User Documentation, You may Install and Access one copy of the Software only for the purpose of commercial evaluation and demonstration. Without limiting the foregoing, You may not use it for competitive analysis, or commercial, professional, or for-profit purposes. The Evaluation Version may only be Installed for a thirty (30) day evaluation period, unless otherwise specified by Autodesk in writing. Additionally, functional limitations apply, as set forth in Section 6.
2.2.6 license to use the Software is perpetual, unless the Software qualifies as an Evaluation Version, a Student Version, or is designated as a fixed-term license, a limited duration license or a rental license. In such case, the term of the license shall be the term identified by Autodesk in the applicable User Documentation (the “which You have paid, whichever is less. If Autodesk identifies the Software as licensed for a
fixed term, limited duration or rental and does not specify a term, then the Designated Term shall expire ninety (90) days after the date You first Install the Software. Use of this Software beyond the applicable license term, or any attempt to defeat the time-control disabling function in the Software is an unauthorized use and constitutes a material violation of this Agreement and intellectual property law.
2.3 or update (“”) to software previously licensed to You (“You must destroy all copies of the Previous Version, including any copies Installed on Your hard disk drive, and upon request by Autodesk return any User Documentation to Autodesk or the authorized distributor from whom You acquired the Previous Version within one hundred twenty (120) days of Installing the New Version. Autodesk reserves the right to require You to show satisfactory proof that the Previous Version has been destroyed. Autodesk or an authorized third-party in connection with the Software licensed to You hereunder may provide You additional software that supplements or extends the Software. Such supplemental software and any New Versions shall be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement except Section 5.1 (Limited Warranty), unless otherwise specified at the time of delivery. Notwithstanding the foregoing, You may retain and need not destroy the Previous Version and may use the Previous Version solely if necessary (1) for the purposes of Installing the New Version hereby licensed and (2) for archival (backup) purposes in order to Install the New Version licensed by this Agreement if the initial installation fails.
2.4 components may not be separated for distribution or use on more than one (1) Computer unless expressly permitted by Autodesk in the applicable User Documentation.
3. 3.1 3.1.1 Regardless of which version of the Software You have acquired, You may Install one archival (backup) copy of the Software. Such archival copy may not be Installed on another Computer, unless such other Computer is a partitioned drive of a server to which only the user of the active copy of the Software can Access. In any event, the archival copy may not be Accessed as long as another copy of the Software is Installed on any Computer. Except as expressly permitted under Section 2.2: (a) if the User Documentation is in printed form, it may not be copied; and (b) if the User Documentation is in electronic form, it may not be duplicated electronically.
3.1.2 Except with regard to Educational Institutional, Student and Evaluation Versions only, You may Install and Access a second copy of the Software on the hard disk of a second Computer owned by You or under Your control provided that:
(i) the original and second copies are used only by the same person;
(ii) the second copy is Installed and Accessed only on either (a) with respect to Network Versions, a redundant server that makes the Software available for use only when Your primary server on which the active Software copy is Installed becomes inoperable, or (b) a notebook computer or other non-server computer away from Your usual work location for the purpose of enabling You to perform work while away from Your usual work location; (iii) only one of the Software copies is Accessed at any one time; and
(iv) both copies of the Software are Installed and Accessed exclusively with the copy protection device (if any) supplied with the Software.
3.2 acknowledge that such actions shall be prohibited:
3.2.1 User Documentation except as expressly authorized by this Agreement.
3.2.2 You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software.
3.2.3 You may not distribute, rent, loan, lease, sell, sublicense, or otherwise transfer all or any portion of the Software or User Documentation, or any rights granted in this Agreement, to any other person without the prior written consent of Autodesk.
3.2.4 Install or Access, or allow the Installation or Access of, the Software over the Internet, including, without limitation, use in connection with a Web hosting or similar service, or make the Software available to third parties via the Internet on Your computer system or otherwise.
3.2.5 You may not remove, alter, or obscure any proprietary notices, labels, or marks from the Software or User Documentation.
3.2.6 You may not modify, translate, adapt, arrange, or create derivative works based on the Software or User Documentation for any purpose.
3.2.7 You may not utilize any equipment, device, software, or other means designed to circumvent or remove any form of copy protection used by Autodesk in connection with the Software, or use the Software together with any activation code, serial number, or other copy protection device not supplied by Autodesk directly or through an authorized distributor.
3.2.8 of this Agreement, U.S. or other applicable export control laws.
3.2.9 limitation a Network Version, or User Documentation outside of the country in which You acquired the Software, unless the Software and User Documentation were purchased in the European Economic Area (“E.E.A.”) in which case use throughout the E.E.A. is permitted.
3.2.10 shall not apply to actions that are expressly authorized under mandatory law (including, but
not limited, to actions authorized under the fair use doctrine in Section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Act and laws implementing EC Directive 91/250 on the legal protection of computer programs) provided that You may not exercise any rights arising under such mandatory laws unless and until You have given thirty (30) days prior written notice to Autodesk to allow Autodesk, at its sole discretion, to provide an alternative remedy, e.g., information necessary to achieve interoperability of an independently created program with the Software.
4. Except as expressly provided otherwise in this Agreement, title, ownership and all rights and interest including, without limitation, copyrights, in and to the Software and User Documentation and any authorized copies made by You remain with Autodesk and its licensors. The structure, organization, and code of the Software are valuable trade secrets of Autodesk and its licensors and You shall keep such trade secrets confidential. The Software and User Documentation are licensed, not sold.
5. 5.1 delivered by Autodesk and for ninety (90) days thereafter, the Software will provide the features and functions generally described in the User Documentation and that the media on which the Software is furnished, if any, will be free from defects in materials and workmanship. Autodesk's entire liability and Your exclusive remedy under the limited warranty provided in this Section 5.1 will be, at Autodesk's option, to attempt to correct or work around errors, to replace the defective media on which the Software is furnished, if any, or to refund the license fees and terminate this Agreement. Such refund is subject to the return of the defective media, if any, and User Documentation, with a copy of Your receipt to Your local Autodesk office or the authorized distributor from whom You obtained the Software within ninety (90) days from the date of Your receipt of the Software.
5.2 EXCEPT FOR THE EXPRESS LIMITED WARRANTIES PROVIDED IN SECTION 5.1 HEREOF, AUTODESK MAKES AND YOU RECEIVE NO EXPRESS WARRANTIES. ANY STATEMENTS OR REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE SOFTWARE AND ITS FUNCTIONALITY IN THE USER DOCUMENTATION OR ANY COMMUNICATION WITH YOU CONSTITUTE TECHNICAL INFORMATION AND NOT AN EXPRESS WARRANTY OR GUARANTEE. IN ADDITION, AUTODESK SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY OTHER WARRANTY INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, AUTODESK DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE OPERATION OF THE SOFTWARE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE.
6. 6.1 COMPUTER-AIDED DESIGN SOFTWARE AND OTHER TECHNICAL SOFTWARE ARE TOOLS INTENDED TO BE USED BY TRAINED PROFESSIONALS ONLY. THEY ARE NOT SUBSTITUTES FOR YOUR PROFESSIONAL JUDGMENT. COMPUTER-AIDED DESIGN SOFTWARE AND OTHER TECHNICAL SOFTWARE ARE INTENDED TO ASSIST WITH PRODUCT DESIGN AND ARE NOT SUBSTITUTES FOR INDEPENDENT TESTING OF PRODUCT STRESS, SAFETY AND UTILITY. DUE TO THE LARGE VARIETY OF POTENTIAL APPLICATIONS FOR THE SOFTWARE, THE SOFTWARE HAS NOT BEEN TESTED IN ALL SITUATIONS UNDER WHICH IT MAY BE USED. AUTODESK SHALL NOT BE LIABLE IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER FOR THE RESULTS OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SOFTWARE. PERSONS USING THE SOFTWARE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SUPERVISION, MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL OF THE SOFTWARE. THIS RESPONSIBILITY INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO, THE DETERMINATION OF APPROPRIATE USES FOR THE SOFTWARE AND THE SELECTION OF THE SOFTWARE AND OTHER PROGRAMS TO ACHIEVE INTENDED RESULTS. PERSONS USING THE SOFTWARE ARE ALSO RESPONSIBLE FOR ESTABLISHING THE ADEQUACY OF INDEPENDENT PROCEDURES FOR TESTING THE RELIABILITY AND ACCURACY OF ANY PROGRAM OUTPUT, INCLUDING ALL ITEMS DESIGNED BY USING THE SOFTWARE.
6.2 A. INSTALLATION, ACCESS, TRANSFERS AND
B. THE ACTIVATION SECURITY MECHANISMS MAY
DISABLE THE SOFTWARE IF YOU TRY TO TRANSFER IT TO ANOTHER COMPUTER, IF YOU TAMPER WITH THE DATE SETTING MECHANISMS ON YOUR COMPUTER, IF YOU USE THE SOFTWARE PAST AN APPLICABLE EVALUATION PERIOD OR LIMITED TERM, OR IF YOU UNDERTAKE CERTAIN OTHER ACTIONS THAT MAY OFFSET THE SECURITY MODE. MORE INFORMATION IS CONTAINED IN THE APPLICABLE USER DOCUMENTATION OR AVAILABLE FROM AUTODESK ON REQUEST.
6.3 DATA CREATED WITH EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONAL VERSIONS AND STUDENT VERSIONS OF THE SOFTWARE CONTAINS CERTAIN NOTICES AND
LIMITATIONS THAT MAKE THE DATA UNUSABLE OUTSIDE THE EDUCATIONAL USE AREA. IF YOU COMBINE OR LINK DATA CREATED WITH EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONAL VERSIONS OR STUDENT VERSIONS OF THE SOFTWARE WITH DATA OTHERWISE CREATED, THEN SUCH OTHER DATA MAY ALSO BE AFFECTED BY THESE LIMITATIONS.
7. IN NO EVENT SHALL AUTODESK OR ITS LICENSORS HAVE ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, LOSS OF PROFITS, REVENUE, DATA, OR COST OF COVER. IN ADDITION, IN NO EVENT SHALL THE LIABILITY OF AUTODESK OR ITS LICENSORS FOR ANY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THIS AGREEMENT EXCEED THE AMOUNT PAID OR PAYABLE BY YOU FOR THE SOFTWARE PRINCIPALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR SUCH DAMAGES. THE LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY IN THIS SECTION 7 SHALL APPLY TO ANY DAMAGES, HOWEVER CAUSED AND REGARDLESS OF THE THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER DERIVED FROM CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NEGLIGENCE), OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF AUTODESK HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES AND REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE LIMITED REMEDIES AVAILABLE HEREUNDER FAIL OF THEIR ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
The Software and User Documentation are “Commercial Items,” as that term is defined at 48
C.F.R. §2.101, consisting of “Commercial Computer Software” and “Commercial Computer Software Documentation,” as such terms are used in 48 C.F.R. §12.212 or 48 C.F.R. §227.7202, as applicable. Consistent with 48 C.F.R. §12.212 and 48 C.F.R. §§227.7202-1 through 227.7202-4, as applicable, the Software and User Documentation are being provided to U.S. Government end users (1) only as a Commercial Item, and (2) with only those rights as are granted to all other end users pursuant to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Manufacturer is Autodesk, Inc., 111 McInnis Parkway, San Rafael, California 94903, USA.
9. 9.1. This Agreement and any rights hereunder are non-assignable and any purported assignment shall be void. The Agreement and the licenses granted hereunder shall terminate without further notice or action by Autodesk if You become bankrupt or insolvent, make an arrangement with Your creditors or go into liquidation.
this Agreement shall be governed by California law without reference to conflict-of-laws principles and excluding the UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods.
9.3 This Agreement and the applicable User Documentation constitute the entire agreement between us and supersede any other previous or contemporaneous communications, agreements, representations, or advertising with respect to the Software and User Documentation. Any modifications to this Agreement shall be invalid, unless made in a duly signed writing.
9.4 If and to the extent any provision of this Agreement is held illegal, invalid, or unenforceable in whole or in part under applicable law, such provision or such portion thereof shall be ineffective as to the jurisdiction in which it is illegal, invalid, or unenforceable to the extent of its illegality, invalidity, or unenforceability and shall be deemed modified to the extent necessary to conform to applicable law so as to give the maximum effect to the intent of the parties. The illegality, invalidity, or unenforceability of such provision in that jurisdiction shall not in any way affect the legality, validity, or enforceability of any other provision of this Agreement in any other jurisdiction.
9.5 notice, Autodesk or Autodesk’s authorized representative shall have the right in inspect and audit Your Installation, Access and use of the Software. Any such inspection or audit shall be conducted during regular business hours at Your facilities or electronically. If such inspections or audits disclose that You have Installed, Accessed or permitted Access to the Software on Computer(s) in a manner that is not permitted under this Agreement, then Autodesk may terminate this Agreement immediately and You are liable to pay for any unpaid license fees as well as the reasonable costs of the audit. Nothing in this section shall be deemed to limit any legal or equitable remedies available to Autodesk for violation of this Agreement or applicable law.
9.6 of any inconsistencies between the English version and any translations.
If the Software is identified as developed by Autodesk Media and Entertainment Division as indicated on the applicable User Documentation, the following License Parameters shall apply:
applicable User Documentation, and You have paid the Lab Pack license fee, then You may Install the Software on up to the Permitted Number of Computers and make the Permitted Number of copies of the User Documentation as authorized for such Lab Pack. In any event,
no more than the Permitted Number of copies of the Software authorized for such Lab Pack may be Accessed simultaneously.
10.2.1. If the Software is identified in the applicable User Documentation as
“Autodesk 3ds max” or “Autodesk VIZ” or products published by Autodesk that require 3ds max or VIZ to operate ("Plug-ins") then: (a) You may modify and make unlimited copies of the source code examples contained in the Software (“Source Examples”) and any resulting binary files for the exclusive purpose of incorporation into Your own works (the “User
Works”); and (b) You may use the User Works subject to the following restrictions: (1) You must clearly identify any modified Source Examples and any resulting binary files as User Works developed by You, and not by Autodesk, and You must use class identifications for any classes of objects You create that are different and clearly distinguishable from the class identifications used by Autodesk; (2) You may distribute the resulting binary files of the Source Examples in User Works that are commercially distributed software applications only if: (i) such applications require 3ds max or Autodesk VIZ to operate; and (ii) such applications contain, subject to Autodesk’s sole discretion, significant features and
functionality in addition to the Source Examples so that the Source Examples are not the primary source of value. In any copy of the Source Examples, derivative works, and
resulting binary files, You must include the copyright notices of Autodesk, Inc. as well as the following statement: “This software contains copyrighted code owned by Autodesk but has been modified and is not endorsed by Autodesk in its modified form”.
10.2.2 You may also modify and make unlimited copies of the individual animations, still images, and audio files contained in the Software (collectively, the “Software Files”) for the sole purpose of incorporation into Your own animations and still images. You may use the User Works and You may distribute the Software Files subject to the following restrictions: (1) You must exclude MIDI files in any medium for commercial radio or
television broadcast, and (2) You may not distribute Software Files that were supplied with the Software, modified or unmodified, as a stand-alone commercial product, including, but not limited to, applications in the form of a collection or library, or as part of a software design tool, except with Autodesk’s written permission. Subject to the foregoing restrictions, You may distribute the User Works and Software Files when incorporated into commercial software applications provided that such commercial software applications contain
significant features and functionality in addition to the Software Files and the Software Files are not the primary source of value. In such User Works, You must include the copyright notices of Autodesk, Inc. as well as the following statement: “This software contains copyrighted code owned by Autodesk but is not endorsed by Autodesk”.