Establishing Business Relations
Ex. IV. P22
1a. you are a state-owned company dealing in chemical products.
1b. you are willing to enter into business with us on the basis of equality and mutual benefit.
2a. obtaining your latest product catalogue for export
2b. recommending your new products to our clients
3a. your advices about promotion of Chinese fruits and nuts.
3b. when you need to place an order for Chinese Chestnuts.
4a. we are the base for cotton export.
4b. Our company is an importer of camera with high credit standing / a high profile importer of cameras and is desirous of entering business relation with you.
4c. we have established business relations with merchants from more than 100 countries.
5a. your intension to enter into business relation with us
5b. your willingness to come to the mport and Export Commodities Fair, Guangzhou to hold trade talks.
6a. 2000 Chinese made digital watches
6b. 300 sets of Chinese made mountain bicycles.
7.We have made improvements, with our joint efforts, in business and friendship.
8. we will arrange all necessary formalities.
9. a. we are afraid that we are unable to conclude business transaction with you. 9b. we are unable to promote your products.
10. If you could inform us of detailed information regarding your development of software.
Ex. V. P22
1. To acquaint you with all the textile products for export, we are sending you herewith the sample books and price lists for your reference.
2. The foreign business department of the local Bank of China recommended that you are interested in establishing business relations with Chinese companies to promote sales of your light industry products.
3. One of our customers is in the market for Chinese black tea.
4. We approach you herewith as we learned that you are an exporter of Chinese crafts of arts.
5. We believe that we are able to persuade our clients to accept it if you make us immediate offer.
6. Should you consider our quotations acceptable, please send us immediate reply so as to for us to make you an firm offer.
7. Payment shall be made by irrevocable L/C, payable by draft at sight.
8. We are the major local importer of electronic products and take the opportunity to approach you in the hope of establishing business relation with you.
9. For our credit standing, please refer to Bank of China, Shanghai.
10. We learned that you are a producer of chemicals of daily use and would appreciate it
very much if you could send us samples by airmail as one of our clients are interested in purchasing cosmetics from your country.
Chapter 3 Enquiries and Offers
1. Please quote us your price for 200 metric ton of steel sheets CFR Qingdao, stating the specifications.
2. Our price of/quotation for fountain pens is RMB￥30 per dozen FAS.
3. As regards payment terms, we require irrevocable L/C payable by draft at sight.
4. Please find enclosed a copy of catalogue with pictures.
5. We are likely to place a large order with you.
6. Should your prices be competitive and delivery date acceptable, we would place an order with you.
7. The buyer requires the seller to ship 10,000 metric ton of phosphate within a week’s time.
8. We are sending you herewith our quotation list as per your enquiry No. 15 and looking forward to your confirmation.
9. Please quote us your best/lowest/most favourable price CIF Shanghai, inclusive of our 3% commission
10. We appreciate your enquiry of 16 March and make you our offer as follows: 4,000 dozens of working gloves at
RMB￥40 per dozen CIF Singapore for shipment during August/September. Payment shall be made by irrevocable
L/C payable by draft at sight.
The above offer is subject to our final confirmation.
Making Counter-offers and Declining Orders
X. Exercise P47
1. We are closely studying your offer and hope that you can keep it open until the end of this month.
2. We will grant you 10% discount if you can place an order for 3,000 dozen or more.
3. As per your request / In compliance with your request / As requested, we make you firm offer for 50 metric ton of soy beans as follows, subject to the receipt of your reply by us within a week.
4. Much to our regret, we are unable to take your offer owing to the substantial rise in prices of raw materials.
5. Should your first parcels satisfy our clients, we believe you can secure more orders from them.
6. We believe that it is easy for you to sell our woman’s dresses, as they have already enjoy fast sales in your market.
7. For your reference, the price of groundnuts has been adjusted to RMB￥3,000 per M/T CIF London.
8. As per your letter of March 10, we are offering you 1,000 sets of Shinco DVD as follows.
9. To step up specific business transactions, we take the pleasure of offering you firm 2,500 sets of Hisense computers as follows, subject to our final confirmation.
10. Your products will be competitive enough if you could lower/reduce your price by 2%.
You got an inquiry for your colour TV sets from an importer in the USA. Please write a letter of offer, making your own assumptions.
Dear Sir or Madam:
Thank you for your inquiry of May 25, 2007.
As requested, we make you firm offer for
our colour TV sets as follows:
Commodity: colour TV sets
Quantity: 100,000 sets
Unit Price: HK$8,000 per carton CIF Qingdao
Payment: by confirmed, irrevocable L/C at sight
Delivery: during September/October
Insurance: to be covered by the buyer for 110%
of invoice value against WPA.
The above offer is subject to our final confirmation.
As the market is strengthening and there is a
heavy demand for our products, we suggest that
you send us your reply as soon as possible.
Conclusion of Business
X. Exercises P62
1. We confirm herewith placing an order with you for 5,000M/Ts ore as per your quotation and terms of April 30, to be delivered before July 30.
2. We take the pleasure in offering you walnuts, first grade, for shipment during October/November.
3. We are carefully studying your terms, some of which are not acceptable for the time being. However, we will continue to work on them and inform you of our opinion some time later.
4. We hope that you can try your best to bridge the price gap.
5. We have established, with Bank of China, the L/C in your favour, amounting to Stg. ￡50,000.
6. We are unable to meet your demand at present as your order is too large. However, we
will try our best to secure new supplies and inform you once the position improves.
7. In view of our long and friendly relation, we will accept D/P at 60 days as an exception.
8. Upon your acceptance of our draft at 30 days sight for US$58,000, the Milan Bank will hand over to you the shipping documents.
9. Enclosed please find our Sales Contract No. 189 in duplicate. If there is no error, please countersign and return one copy for our file.
10. With our repeated effort in negotiation, the manufacturer undertake to take fresh your order, supplying 100 sets per month since next January.
X. Exercises P62
Dear Sir or Madam:
We have received your counter-offer of Sept. 10 for potato chips and confirm (the acceptance of ) accepting the offer as follows: 500 M/T potato chips at US$240 per M/T CFR Liverpool, inclusive of 5% commission. The quality of the goods is in conformity with that of sample Sp-03, with max. moisture content of 16% for shipment during November /December, 2004.
?When opening the relevant L/C, please note that the parcel is bulk goods, with an allowance of 5% in quantity and amount. We hope that we can receive your confirmed, irrevocable L/C one month before the date of delivery so as to effect shipment in due course. As regards insurance, we will, as a rule, take out cover for 110% of invoice value against All risks and War risk as per the insurance clauses of PICC of China.
Chapter 6 Payment
IX. Exercise P76
1. Please see to it that the payment is made by confirmed, irrevocable L/C payable at sight, allowing partial shipment and transshipment.
2. We have considered your requirement of payment by D/P. In view of the small amount of the transaction, we are ready to arrange shipment accordingly.
3. As per your request, we will make an exception to our customary practice, accepting L/C at 30 days. But it will in no case set a precedent.
4. We will very much appreciate it if you can extend us accommodation.
5. We have pleasure in informing you that the goods under the above contract have been ready for shipment. Please remit the full amount by T/T.
6. We have drawn on you at sight for the value of this transaction.
7. We have made it clear to you that your L/C must reach us by the end of the month so that we can ship the goods per S.S. “Dongfeng”, sailing for your port on the 15th of next month.
8. Considering many year’s pleasant business relation between us, we agree to make concession and believe this will meet your demand.
9. We believe that the accommodation will enable you to secure more orders for us.
10. We regret that we are unable to accept D/P upon arrival of goods at the destination port.
Establishment of and Amendment to L/C
VIII. Exercise P88
1. Please note that 10,000 sets of sewing machine under Contract No. 535 have been ready for shipment for long, but we have not received the relevant L/C till now. Please expedite its establishment so that we can effect shipment.
2. We herewith notify you that the irrevocable and confirmed L/C in your favour has been opened with Bank of China.
3. We shall appreciate it if you effect amendment and advice us immediately.
4. Please see to it that the L/C stipulations are in exact accordance with the terms of the contract.
5. There is not enough time for our settlement of payment as the delivery and the validity are of the same date on your L/C. Therefore, please extend the validity date for 15 days as usual.
6. We have received your L/C No. 568, but upon perusal, we find that transshipment and partial shipment are not allowed. Please amend your L/C immediately.
7. We will draw on you for this amount at sight through HSBC Bank, Hong Kong.
8. We shall be willing to allow you an extension of 60 days upon your request, and sincerely hope that it w ill help you out of your present dilemma.
9.To our regret, this credit was not properly amended despite our request.
10. We have fax you today, asking you to make following amendments to L/C No. 256: “Shipped at Qingdao” instead of “Shipped at Shanghai”; “Metric Ton” instead of “Long Ton”.
Chapter 8 Shipment
VI. Exercise P101
1. We will continue to place orders with you as long as you can guarantee the quality of goods and make prompt shipment.
Chapter 8 Shipment
VI. Exercise P101
2. We wish to inform you herewith that the goods under Sales Contract No. 678 were shipped per S.S. “Nanhai” on July 5. They are to be transshipped via Hamburg and due to arrive at your port in early September
3. We will hand over a set of clean, shipped on board bill of lading, made out to order, in triplicate to Commercial Bank of Midland, which will forward them to you.
4. Our women’s tops are packed in plastic bags of on top each, 10 dozen to a carton, lined with waterproof paper, reinforced with 2 metal straps.
5. With reference to our Order No. 689 for 1000 Calculators, we wish to advise you that the time for shipment has long been overdue.
6. Please make it clear if your quotation covers the packing cost of wooden cases.
7. As contracted, the above goods shall be delivered in three equal lots in April, July
and August respectively. However, the first batch has not been delivered up until now.
8. There is not enough shipping space for 20,000 M/T of soy bean. Therefore, it is impossible to ship the goods in October. Please amend L/C to allow partial shipment.
9. The goods shipped to our port must be transshipped via Hamburg. Therefore, your packing shall be seaworthy and can withstand rough handling during the transit.
10. We regret to say that we are unable to deliver your order in advance due to present sources of supply.
Chapter 9 Insurance
XII. Exercise II P 115
1. We have the pleasure in informing you that the shipment of 10,000 tons Chemical Fertilizer under Contract No. 564 will be effected per S.S. “Qingshan” scheduled to leave here on 25th of May. Please arrange insurance for this cargo.
2. Please see to it that the goods shall be covered for 120% of invoice value against All Risk and War Risk.
3. We understand that you, as a rule, insure the goods only for 10% above
invoice value; therefore, the extra premium will be for our account.
4. In the absence of definite instructions from our clients, we generally cover insurance against WPA and War Risk; if you desire to cover FPA, please let us know in advance.
5. The rate charged against Breakage is 2%. We can arrange insurance against this risk on your behalf. The extra premium will be for your account.
6. The goods are to be insured against leakage.
7. We shall cover TPND on your order.
8. This class of goods is sold with a franchise of 4%..
9. The clause “All expenses are for the beneficiaries’ account” should be deleted from the L/C.
10. Please take necessary precautions that the packing can protect the goods from dampness or rain, since cement is liable to be spoiled by damp or water in transit.
Complaints and Claims
IX. Exercise p127
1. Claim, if any, must be made (filed, put in) within 30 days after the arrival of the goods at the destination, otherwise, none will be considered.
2. Disputes may be submitted for arbitration in case no agreement is reached through negotiation between the two parties.
3. We may compromise, but the compensation should, in no case, exceed $800, otherwise this case will be submitted for arbitration.
4. As evidenced by the survey report, damage to the ca
ses and goods is due to rough handling during the transit, rather than poor packing as you believed.
5. No trace of poor quality or poor craftsmanship has been found upon our inspection. The material used is of best quality.
6. We consider that the suppliers are responsible for the short weight, as the survey
report by Qingdao Commodity Inspection and Quarantine Bureau evidenced there is a short weight of 1000 kilo.
7. We regret we cannot entertain your claim.
8. It would not be fair if the loss be totally imposed on us, as the liability rests with both parties. We are ready to meet you half way, say, to pay 50% of the loss only.
9. We regret to inform you that the goods forwarded to us are no in conformity with the sample.
10. On going into the matter we find a mistake was indeed made in the packing through a confusion of numbers, and we have arranged for the right goods to be dispatched to you at once.