Unit 6 Marine Neotourism
Text A The “New” Variant in Coastal Tourism: Residential Tourism
Text B The Proceed of Cruise
Blue ocean,covering about 71% of the earth’s surface, is the largest area of natural landscape. Since ancient time, people have always used the ocean to relieve stress and seek happiness. In the modern era, the gradual improvement of coastal tourism has brought about multiple development like residential and cruise tourism to meet the demands of modern urban residents.
Background information Pre-reading Questions Text Exercises
◆ Reading Comprehension ◆ Structure Analysis ◆ Vocabulary Study ◆ Translation ◆ Doing Research ◆ Writing ◆ Extended Exercises ◆ Proverbs and Quotations ◆ Language Points
1. Residential Tourism The ―residential tourism‖ is commonly used and refers to a specific type of tourist: he or she who chooses non-hotel accommodations for their stays. These accommodations usually involve an owned, rented, or lent property, or a timeshare(分时享用度假权). This type of tourist has not been sufficiently examined to determine the complexity of the activities that define this important segment of the tourist industry.
2. Baby Boomer
A baby boomer is a person who was born during the demographic Post-World War II baby boom between the years 1946 and 1964, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. The term "baby boomer" is sometimes used in a cultural context. Therefore, it is impossible to achieve broad consensus of a precise definition, even within a given territory. Different groups, organizations, individuals, and scholars may have widely varying opinions on what constitutes a baby boomer, both technically and culturally. Ascribing universal attributes to a broad generation is difficult, and some observers believe that it is inherently impossible. Nonetheless, many people have attempted to determine the broad cultural similarities and historical impact of the generation, and thus the term has gained widespread popular usage.
Baby boomers are associated with a rejection or redefinition of traditional values; however, many commentators have disputed the extent of that rejection, noting the widespread continuity of values with older and younger generations. In Europe and North America boomers are widely associated with privilege, as many grew up in a time of widespread government subsidies in post-war housing and education, and increasing affluence.
As a group, they were the wealthiest, most active, and most physically fit generation to that time, and amongst the first to grow up genuinely expecting the world to improve with time. They were also the generation that received peak levels of income, therefore they could reap the benefits of abundant levels of food, apparel, retirement programs, and sometimes even "midlife crisis" products.
Before you read the text, take a few minutes to t
hink about your views on the concept of Residential Tourism: 1. How do you define the ―Residential Tourism‖? 2. In what respects can the ―Residential Tourism‖ attract more and more tourists?
1. How do you define the ―Residential Tourism‖?
The ―residential tourism‖, in general, means a new form of tourism including its own spas, marinas, golf courses, shopping facilities, and vacation homes.
2. In what respects can the “Residential Tourism” attract more and more tourists? Depending on its all-inclusive complex, the residential tourism can meet tourists’ all kinds of demands.
The ”New” Variant in Coastal Tourism: Residential Tourism 海洋旅游“新”形式：居 家旅游
近年来，一种新的 1. The hottest trend in coastal 海洋旅游方式炙手可热， development is to be all它是一种配套设施齐全 inclusive ―villages‖ for resort 的乡村度假胜地，配有 complexes with their own spas, 自己的温泉、小码头、 marinas, golf courses, shopping 高尔夫球场、购物设施 facilities, and vacation homes. 和旅馆。“将旅馆和公 ―There’s a move towards 寓结合起来是一种趋势， combining hotels and condos 因为二手房市场十分火 because the second home market 爆，”保罗〃文塞说， is so strong,‖ says Paul Wanzer, 他是供职于华盛顿州西 雅图市米森公司的一位 an architect with Mithun in Seattle, Washington. Developers say that 建筑设计师。开发商们 认为旅游胜地和居家旅 by combining a resort with vacation homes, it will increase 馆的结合可以提升两者 the value of both and each helps 的价值并得以在经济上 互相支撑。 to finance the other.
The amenities of the resort increase the value of the homes, and building the homes first and selling them as they are completed help to finance the resort construction costs. Interviews with a range of developers, architects and academics reveal the following patterns and decision making processes in terms of coastal resort development.
度假地的配套设施 使得房产得以增值， 出售房产所得也有 助于抵消度假地的 建筑成本。受访的 几位开发商、建筑 师和大学教师向我 们介绍了海洋度假 地开发的决策过程 和几种常见方式。
2. There are, however, some questions about just how new this model is. Developer Butterfield describes the current ―residential tourism‖ resorts linked to vacation homes as ―a throw-back model‖ quite similar to earlier, allinclusive resorts like the Fontainebleau Hotel. ―We’re still building holiday towns, resort towns so that people can go on vacation to a town that is like theirs, only nicer.‖
2. 但是这种新的模式 也有它自己的问题。 开发商布特菲尔德将 当前配有度假旅馆的 “居家旅游”看成是 一种“传统的发展模 式”，它与之前的配 套设施齐全的“枫丹 白露旅馆”十分类似。 “
一些度假村仍在兴 建之中，目的是让游 客们在这里找到家的 感觉。”
Interestingly, the Miami Beach Fontainebleau, which Butterfield and others see as the original all-inclusive coastal resort, is currently undergoing a make-over: Many old hotels were closed in 2006 and its furnishings are currently available for sale. The hotel together with newly built condominiums is being remodeled and expanded, and will be reopened in 2008.
有趣的是，布特菲尔 德还有其他几位开发 商将迈阿密海滩旅馆 看作是最早的雏形， 但现在也在发生着变 化：2006年许多老式 旅馆倒闭，家具也正 在出售。旧旅馆还有 新建的公寓得以重新 设计，经营规模也得 以拓展，将在2008年 重新开张。
3. Typically, the components of these resort/residential developments are: 4. Vacation homes: These can range from high-rising apartment condos to town houses and individual homes within gated communities. In the Americas, it is driven by the baby boomers. In Asia, it is driven by the growing urbanization and the desire of the upper middle class in very crowded urban centers in Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Malaysia, who are seeking the second homes equipped with the sun-and-sea settings.
3. 一般来看，居家旅游包括 下面几个构成部分： 4. 居家旅馆：它不仅包括楼 层较多的公寓楼也包括城镇 房和位于社区内部的独宅。 在美洲，居家旅游的发展受 到生于二战后的一代人的追 捧。而在亚洲，迅速推进的 城市化和上层中产阶级则成 为其发展的助推力，尤其是 在一些人口众多的城市中， 像香港以及韩国、日本、新 加坡和马来西亚的几个大城 市，这些现代都市人正找寻 “抬头有阳光，面前有大海” 的第二家园。
Typically because the buyers only live there for a few weeks a year, these homes often go into a pool of rentals managed by the resort.
因为游客们只做短 暂停留，因此这些 旅馆大多时候还是 作为租赁之用。
5. Spas: A spa is increasingly a staple of not only large resorts but even boutique ecolodges and city hotels, and its ―wellness‖ is in and with the baby boomers’ obsession with health, exercise, stress reduction, yoga, organics, and fine wines. In Asia and the Americas, there is a ―big trend‖ towards spa development with some hotel chains branding their spas. In the Americas, Revolution Resorts’ spas are called ―Mirabal‖, while in Asia Shangri-La hotels have branded their spas as ―Chi‖.
温泉：温泉不仅日益成为 大的旅游度假胜地的组成 部分，而且走入了多功能 的生态旅馆和城市旅馆之 中，它在众人眼中的“合 时宜”源于“二战后”对 健康、健身、减压、瑜伽、 机体以及名酒的强烈关注。 而在亚洲和美洲，一些连 锁旅馆也正“趁势”推出 自己的温泉品牌，美洲的 一些“革
命圣地”将自己 的温泉命名为“Mirabal”， 而亚洲的香格里拉则是 “Chi”。
6. Golf courses: Golf courses remain an important component of resort development, despite the reality that many coastal areas are unsuited for this sport which was created in Scotland. Golf is an important market in Southeast Asia where the Japanese and South Koreans were earlier ―adaptors‖ of golf and continued to use it for business. The emerging Chinese international business set is similarly inclined, moreover there’s a network of golf clubs in Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia that cater to this market.
高尔夫球场：高尔夫球场 是度假胜地的重要组成部分， 尽管这种来自苏格兰的体育 运动并不见得适合所有的沿 海地区。在东南亚高尔夫运 动蕴含着极大的商机，日本 和韩国是最早将其投入到商 业运作中的两个国家。中国 国际商业的崛起也使得中国 逐渐成为该领域的重要一员， 不仅如此，在马来西亚、新 加坡和印尼一个高尔夫俱乐 部网正在形成，以迎合市场 需求。
Even though in Costa Rica’s Guanacaste area along the Pacific coast there are already 7 golf courses and another 15 or more in planning, tourism institute statistics shows that only 3% of tourists come to Costa Rica to play golf. The rationale, according to INCAE economist Lawrence Pratt, is the real estate speculation. Developers estimate that vacation homes built around a golf course sell for 20% more.
即使是在哥斯达黎加的瓜 那卡斯特省的环太平洋地 区也出现了7个高尔夫球 场，并且还有15或者更多 的球场正在计划修建之中， 但是根据旅游部门的统计 数据显示只有3%的到哥斯 达黎加的游客愿意去打高 尔夫。其中的缘由，据中 美洲商学院经济学家劳伦 斯〃普拉特来看，这应当 是房地产投机所致。据开 发商们估计高尔夫球场附 近的度假房真正能出售的 只有20%多一点。
7. While few of the tourists and even 如果只有少数游客和当地 fewer locals use these golf courses, 居民能够使用高尔夫球场 the impact of development and 的话，那么球场之后的发 yearly maintenance of golf courses 展和每年的维护费用将是 remain severe. An average 18-hole 一个大问题。平均来看， golf course requires 100 acres of 一座18洞的高尔夫球场需 land conversion while using over 要占用100英亩的土地，每 130 million gallons of water per year. The equivalent amount of water is 年需要1.3亿加仑的水。而 相同数量的水却可以满足 quite adequate for 800 families of 3,000 to 7,000 persons per year in 美国或哥斯达黎加800个家 the United States or a community in 庭约3千到7千人的一年的 Costa Rica. The pesticide usage on 消费，而杀虫剂的使用也 golf courses has severe effects on 给当地的地下水和野生动 local ground water and wildlife as the
物造成了严重的影响，因 pesticides can move beyond the golf 为杀虫剂的危害不仅局限 course. 于高尔夫球场。
The average golf course pesticide usage is much more intensive than normal agrarian usages. Agricultural pesticide use averages less than a pound per acre per year while golf courses average nine pounds per acre per year amounting to a total of 1,500 pounds per course per year. In tropical areas, where most of these new upcoming resorts will be located, pesticide usage escalates. Some tropical courses require 3,307 pounds of chemical fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides per course per year.
一般来看，一座高尔夫球 场杀虫剂的危害要比一般 农田的要严重许多，农田 每年每英亩杀虫剂平均使 用量还不到1磅，但是高 尔夫球场却高达9磅，一 年下来每个球场就一共是 1500磅。而在带有高尔夫 球场的度假胜地非常集中 的热带地区，杀虫剂的使 用也与日俱增。在有些热 带地区的球场，每个每年 需要3307磅的各类化学肥 料、杀虫剂和除草剂。
8. Marinas: While clear water activities are an important part of coastal tourism, the scale of marina development, like that of golf courses, is outstripping demand. In Mexico, FONATUR’s most ambitious marina scheme, Escalera Nautica proposed building 27 marinas in the small towns along both coasts of the Baja California for California vacationers who would arrive in their pleasure boats.
小码头：净水游玩也是 海洋旅游一项重要组成 部分，就像高尔夫球场 一样，小码头的发展也 有供大于求的趋势。在 墨西哥，旅游者宣传国 家基金会最雄心勃勃的 小码头建设规划—“艾 斯卡莱拉〃诺提克”计 划在加利福尼亚半岛沿 岸的小城镇将会兴建27 座小码头，为乘船来此 地度假的加州人提供娱 乐。
A critical study of Escalera Nautica revealed the scheme was far from realistic. The 2003 study, financed by the Packard Foundation, showed clearly that FONATUR had exaggerated the demand for marina spaces in Baja California and the Sea of Cortez. While the study forecasted that by the year 2014, ten thousand vessels may enter the region, FONATUR had projected the arrival of 61,000 private boats.
但是一项针对该计划的 所做的研究发现该计划 并不现实。2003年由帕 克德基金会资助的该项 研究清楚地表明旅游者 宣传国家基金会夸大了 在加利福尼亚半岛和科 尔特斯海沿岸地区对小 码头的需求。该研究还 预测到2014年，一万艘 船只会进入该地区，但 是旅游者宣传国家基金 会的预测却是61000艘。
The study also concluded that only 该研究最后说到2014年 5,500 berths would be needed by 只需要5500个泊位，而 2014, and not the 26,500 estimated不是基金会所估算的 26500个。该研究和公 by FONATUR. This study and 众的反对也迫使基金会 public opposition fo
rced 对计划做出了修改。但 FONATUR to revise its plans. 是，近日一项新的包含 However, at present, a renewed 小码头建设的多用途开 effort in the Gulf of California is 发计划可能会在加利福 likely to bring a reduced but 尼亚湾上马，尽管规模 significant number of mixed-use 有所缩小，但是仍然很 developments that include marinas.可观。根据埃里克森瓦 According to Erick Vargas’ study 格森的研究，哥斯达黎 documents, large numbers of 加和巴拿马正准备兴建 marinas are currently being 大量的小码头，其中有 planned in both Costa Rica and 些已经在尼加拉瓜开建 Panama, and several are underway了。 in Nicaragua.
In Costa Rica, 21 new marinas have been proposed, mainly along the Pacific coast and each with a pricetag of between $10 and $40 million. Again, one of the rationales appears to real estate speculation: bumping up the price of vacation homes and of resort stays because of their proximity to a marina.
在哥斯达黎加，21座 小码头的建设已提上 日程，主要位于太平 洋沿岸，每一个造价 都在一千到四千万美 元之间。背后还是房 地产投机在起作用， 因为地处小码头附近 的度假房价格一路高 涨。
While promoters of marinas argue that they provide needed services and help to regulate pleasure boats, opponents argue that marinas attract a less desirable international clientele and serve as a gateway for drugs, prostitution, and other illegal and anti-social activities.
那些支持小码头建设 的人声称他们会提供 急需的服务和规范的 游艇运作。而反对者 则认为小码头的兴建 不仅没有吸引世界各 地游客的注意，反而 为贩毒、嫖娼还有其 他非法和反社会活动 大开方便之门。
9.However, based on the analyses of the decision-making and implementation of the coastal tourism, a number of challenges emerge that need to be addressed if development is to be carried out sustainably. In short, these can be summarized as follows: land ownership and displacement of locals; water in terms of quality, quantity, consistency, and competition with other economic activities, including towns, agriculture, and protected areas; environmental destruction; master plans and life cycles and the global warming. (1145words)
但是，根据上面对海洋 旅游的决策过程和执行 的分析，有些发展中面 临的挑战需要指出，否 则海洋旅游就无法持续 发展下去。简单来说， 这些挑战主要有：土地 所有权和搬迁安臵；水 质和水量以及水的粘稠 度，与其他地方的经济 活动，比如城镇、农业 和保护区之间的竞争； 还有环境破坏；中心规 划，生态循环和环境变 暖。
Answer the following questions according to the text.
1. Generally speaking, how many ingredients are included in the development of the residential tourism? W
hat are they? There are five ingredients in the residential tourism, and they are spas, marinas, golf courses, shopping facilities, and vacation homes.
2. According to the passage, what does the word ―move‖ mean in the statement that ―There’s a move towards combining hotels and condos because the second home market is so strong‖ in the first paragraph? The word of ―move‖ in the sentence means tendency.
3. Why did the author take the Miami Beach Fontainebleau as an example? Because it is the original all-inclusive coastal resort.
4. What are the major differences in driving forces between the Americas and some Asian nations in the growth of residential tourism? In the Americas, it is driven by the baby boomers, while in some Asian nations, it is driven by the growing urbanization and the increasing desire of the upper middle class. 5. What does the word ―wellness‖ mean in the statement that ―its ―wellness‖ is in and with the baby boomers’ obsession with health, exercise, stress reduction, yoga, organics, and fine wines‖ in the fifth paragraph? The ―wellness‖ means attractiveness or advantage.
6. What is the common leading factor contributing to the rapid development of the golf courses and marinas? The real estate speculation.
Fill in the blanks with the information from the text.
Part Ⅰ(Para.1): Introduction. The rising “residential tourism” is in fact an resort complex all-inclusive ________________equipped with spas, marinas, golf courses, shopping facilities and vacation homes. (Para.1)
Part Ⅱ(Para. 4-7): The Typical Components. 1.Vacation homes: they can include not high-rising apartment condos only ________________________, but ___________ town houses and individual homes within gated communities. ____________ are Baby boomers the major consumers of vacation homes in the Americas while in Asia the counterpart is the ___________ and the desire of the urbanization upper middle class. (Para.4)
2. The “wellness” of spas is decided mainly by the baby boomers’ obsession withhealth exercise stress ______, ________, organics reduction, yoga and __________, fine wines. As the wide spreading of the new fashion, some hotel chains begin to brand their own spas. (Para.5) 3. Although the gold courses were proved to be the unsuited in many coastal areas of _________, they earned many Scotland acclamations in some Southeastern Asia such as Japan, South Korea. The leading factor of the golf flourishing was the __________________________. Meanwhile the speculation in the real estate developers made huge profits, the impacts of development, especially the __________________ of golf courses yearly maintenance restricted its great expansion. In addition, the use of pesticide herbicides fertilizers, _________, and __________ in an increasing amount each year harmed the sustainable development of golf courses. (Para.6)
4. Marinas began to enjoy the popularity as an important portion of
coastal tourism. The developmental plan proposed by FONATUR ended with the revision and improvements because of its ____________ discovered by the exaggeration public __________ force. However, the renewed opposition efforts in the Gulf of California stood to bring a less but significant number of _________ mixed-use development. The promoters should be aware of the hidden dangers harmful to the on-going development of marinas including ______, drugs __________ and other illegal and anti-social prostitution activities. (Para.7)
Part Ⅲ(Para.8) : The Major Challenges. A number of challenges began to emerge and must be addressed if the developers wanted to keep the progress of residential sustainable tourism __________, such as land ownership, displacement of the locals, environmental destruction and global warming.
A. Match the following words from the text with their proper definitions.
1. throw-back ____ g 2. make-over ____ i j 3. academic ____ 4. sustainably ____ C 5. underway ____ e 6. marina ____ f 7. adaptor ____ a 8. promoter ____ h 9. organics ____ b 10. mixed-use____ d a. developer, consumer b. a fertilizer c. endurable d. of various purposes e. already started or happening f. a fancy dock for small yachts g. old-fashioned h. someone who makes a product more popular i. change j. university teacher
B. The words in italics are vocabulary items from the text. Read each question or statement and choose the correct answer. 1. During 1987, as in some earlier years, there was speculation in the press from time to time about our purchase or sale of various securities. A. a message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence B. an investment that is very risky but could yield great profits C. a hypothesis that has been formed by speculating or conjecturing
2. We had agreed weeks earlier that he would come--Tom was talking then, and had said that he wanted to do an official conversion to Catholicism. A. an event that results in a transformation B. a change of religion C. a spiritual enlightenment causing a person to lead a new life 3. Finally a deputation waited on him to propose that he should stand for the County Council election that was shortly to be held. A. nominate for appointment to an office B. present for consideration C. ask (someone) to marry you
4. By itself, marriage seems to provide a stable institutional setting that promotes greater earnings, which affords greater savings. A. the state of the environment in which a situation exists B. the physical position of something C. a table service for one person 5. Since then, organic materials ranging from Egyptian mummy hair to Stone Age sandals have been dated. A. simple and healthful and close to nature B. relating or belonging to the class of chemical compounds having a carbon basis C. involving or affecting physiology or bodily organs
6. With all beings there must be much fortuitous(偶然的，意外 的) destruction, which can have little or no in
fluence on the course of natural selection A. the termination of something by causing so much damage to it that it cannot be repaired or no longer exists B. an event (or the result of an event) that completely destroys something C. a final state 7. The opposition member's request for an enquiry has placed the government in a difficult position, especially just before the election. A. the relation between opposed entities B. a direction opposite to another C. the major political party opposed to the party in office and prepared to replace it if elected
8. There has been such confusion in the importing of Western academic and cultural things that in recent years we have witnessed an influx of books. A. associated with academia or an academy B. hypothetical or theoretical and not expected to produce an immediate or practical result C. marked by a narrow focus on or display of learning especially its trivial aspects 9. As for linden's sons, the Guardians intimated their intention of compelling them to contribute towards the cost of their parents' maintenance. A. activity involved in maintaining something in good working order B. court-ordered support paid by one spouse to another after they are separated C. the act of sustaining life by food or providing a means of subsistence
10. Later, sitting at one of the many bars on the resort, sipping the cocktails at a small local they began to talk. A. public transport consisting of a bus or train that stops at all stations or stops B. a local restaurant especially near the living place C. of or belonging to or characteristic of a particular locality or neighborhood
C. Complete the following sentences with the words given below, making sure that each word is used in the right form.
Resort tropical undergo amenity opponent component cater to regulate equivalent all-inclusive
1. The hotel wasn't very good and lacked a lot of _________ like room service and a safe. amenities 2. My friend, Crawley, has always been a fanatical _________ of Mr. Lane's Radical opponent Progressive Party.
3. China’s universities and colleges generally enroll only outstanding middle school students or the ___________. equivalent 4. A municipal borough of eastern Northern Ireland on Belfast Lough. It is a seaport, ______, and resort yachting center. 5. But talk of peace and reconciliation is just fanciful and theoretical unless we are prepared to________ such a revolution undergo 6. How can my people produce the unit if we are missing a vital___________? component
7. Price says the disease afflicts roughly one in a million people and occurs when certain brain cells that_________ muscle tone and coordinate regulate movement die.
8. Perhaps most significantly for a________ resort, Tropical in Mauritius there is no hassle. 9. Now automotive engineers are ___________ buyers who also want their big catering to cars to start and stop on a dime. 10. A business valuation covers ___________ of all-inclusive tangible and intangible
assets and has a scope well beyond the appraisal of machinery and equipment.
A. Translate the following paragraphs into Chinese. 近年来，一种新的海 The hottest trend in coastal 洋旅游方式炙手可热， development is to be all- inclusive 它是一种配套设施齐 ―villages‖ for resort complexes with 全的乡村度假胜地， their own spas, marinas, golf 配有自己的温泉、小 码头、高尔夫球场、 courses, shopping facilities, and 购物设施和旅馆。开 vacation homes. Developers say 发商认为旅游地和旅 that by combining a resort with vacation homes, it will increase the 馆的结合可以提升两 者的价值并得以在经 value of both and each helps to 济上互相支撑。 finance the other.
The amenities of the resort increase the value of the homes, and building the homes first and selling them as they are completed help to finance the resort construction costs. Interviews with a range of developers, architects and academics reveal the following patterns and decision making processes in terms of coastal resort development.
度假地的配套设施 使得房产得以增值， 出售房产所得也有 助于抵消度假地的 建筑成本。受访的 几位开发商、建筑 师和大学教师向我 们介绍了海洋度假 地开发的决策过程 和几种常见方式。
There are, however, some questions about just how new this model is. Developer Butterfield describes the current ―residential tourism‖ resorts linked to vacation homes as ―a throw-back model‖ quite similar to earlier, all-inclusive resorts like the Fontainebleau Hotel. ―We’re still building holiday towns, resort towns so that people can go on vacation to a town that is like theirs, only nicer.‖
但是关于新模式还有 几个问题。开发商布 特菲尔德将当前配有 度假旅馆的“居家旅 游”看成是一种“传 统的发展模式”，它 与之前的配套设施齐 全的“枫丹白露旅馆” 十分类似。“一些度 假村仍在兴建之中， 目的是让游客们在这 里找到家的感觉。”
Interestingly, the Miami Beach Fontainebleau, which Butterfield and others see as the original allinclusive coastal resort, is currently undergoing a make-over: Many old hotels were closed in 2006 and its furnishings are currently available for sale. The hotel together with newly built condominiums is being remodeled and expanded, and will be reopened in 2008.
有趣的是，布特菲尔 德还有其他几位开发 商将迈阿密海滩旅馆 看作是最早的雏形， 但现在也在发生着变 化：2006年许多老式 旅馆倒闭，家具也正 在出售。旧旅馆还有 新建的公寓得以重新 设计，经营规模也得 以拓展，将在2008年重 新开张。
However, based on the analyses of the decision-making and implementation of the coastal tourism, a number of challenges emerge that need to be addressed if development is to be carried out sus
tainably. In short, these can be summarized as follows: land ownership and displacement of locals; water in terms of quality, quantity, consistency, and competition with other economic activities, including towns, agriculture, and protected areas; environmental destruction; master plans and life cycles and the global warming.
但是，根据以上对海洋 旅游的决策过程和执行 的分析，有些发展中面 临的挑战需要点明，否 则海洋旅游就无法持续 发展下去。简单来说， 这些挑战主要有：土地 所有权和搬迁安臵；水 质和水量以及水的粘稠 度，与其他地方的经济 活动，比如城镇、农业 和保护区之间的竞争； 还有环境破坏；中心规 划，生态循环还有环境 变暖。
B. Translate the following paragraph into English.
度假旅游（vacation tour） Vacation tour aims at 是利用假日外出以度假休 entertaining oneself in the and relaxes 闲为主要目的和内容，进 holiday excursion, and mentally oneself physically 行令精神和身体放松的康 through some keeping-fit 体休闲活动。在欧美等发 activities. In some developed 达国家，早期的度假旅游 nations in Britain and America, 一般都在海滨温泉地开展，the early tour was done in the 往往带有保健和治疗的目 coastal spa with the purpose of 的，最后才发展成为社会 keeping fit and medical care, which developed into the 交友、康体休闲和游憩活 activity aiming at socialization, 动，因此，度假旅游就是 recreation and leisure, and 以度假（消磨闲暇和健身 relaxation in the end. Therefore, 康体）为主要目的，具有 vacation tour centers on going 明确的目的地的旅游活动。on holiday and has definite tour
作为海洋旅游发展的新形 式，近年来逐渐兴起的 “居家旅游”正日益受到 大众的追捧。一般来看， “居家旅游”包含四个主 要因素：度假别墅、温泉 浴场、高尔夫球场和小型 码头。所谓度假别墅既可 以指楼层较高的公寓，也 可以指乡间独宅。其广泛 流行有着深刻的社会背景， 比如在东南亚各国，迅速 的城市化进程以及城市中 产阶级的兴起最终成就了 度假别墅的飞速发展。
As a new developmental form, the ―residential tourism‖ rising in recent years has become more and more popular. In general, it contains four ingredients: vacation homes, spas, golf courses and marinas. The vacation homes refer to the high-rising apartment condos and town houses. Its wide popularity has been taking deep root in the society. In southeastern Asia, the rapid urbanization and the rising of the middle class attributed to its fast development.
与度假别墅的兴起类似， Similar to the vacation homes, the 温泉浴场的广受欢迎则与 spa’s wide popularity has close 现代都市人特殊的生活方 connection with modern urban 式密切关联。城市生
活的 residents’ way of life. The huge 巨大压力使得现代人不得 pressure in the urban life subjects everyone to make use of various 不借助于许多人工方式缓 artificial ways to lessen pressure 解压力和保持健康，这自 and keep healthy, certainly 然也包含贴近自然的温泉 including the spas near to 浴场。高尔夫球场是这几 nature.Golf courses have been the 个因素中颇具争议的一个， most controversial one among the 因为尽管许多国家在其迅 above ingredients for various 猛发展中获得了巨大的经 social and environment problems 济利益，但是由此带来的 caused by its expansion afford no 许多社会和环境问题也不 neglect although many nations 容忽视。 benefit a lot from its development.
比如，伴随着高尔夫球 For example, the advent of 场大繁荣而来的往往是 increasingly severe real 日益严重的房地产市场 estate speculation always 投机，这给当地的金融 accompanies the prosperity 市场带来了巨大的隐患，of golf courses, which causes the huge threat to 同时对水资源的浪费和 local financial market. At 化学试剂的大范围使用 the meantime, the waste of 给当地的自然环境也造 water and large-scale use 成了不可估量的损害。 of chemical reagents produces the inestimable damage to natural environment.
为了迎合“居家旅游” 市场的需要，兴建小型 码头一度成为许多政府 的当务之急，但是它引 起的争议丝毫不比高尔 夫球场的少。许多反对 者认为许多小型码头的 开放不仅没有达到预期 效果，反而为许多非法 活动提供了便利。
In order to cater to the demands in the ―residential tourism‖ market, establishing the marinas has been the urgent business for the local government in many areas, however, the controversies caused by marinas seem not less than that of golf courses. Many opponents believe that not only do the open of many marinas fail to meet the expectations, but facilitate some illegal activities.
Work in groups and find information on any source available about the topic related to the ―residential tourism‖. Use a PPT to present it briefly to the class.
Apart from the typical components stated by author in the passage, what are the other components included in the development of the residential tourism in order to attract the young people who were born in the 1980s and the 1990s and have been regarded as the main body of future tourism activity. Write an English essay of about 300 words based on your consideration.
A. Idiom Studies.
at sea（在海上，茫然，困惑） run a tight ship（管理严格，提高效率） oceans of（很多的） shipping and handling（手续费） get one’s sea legs（不晕船） like rats abandoning a sinking ship
Being a patriotic and loyal leader, he should never be ______________________. ship a rat desertin
g a sinking
2. Donation for the Complete Ascention Workshop is shipping and handling $45 including _____________________.
3. It is therefore somewhat ironic that our company now faces the criticism for losing billions of dollars during the downturn and for failing to ____________. run a tight ship 4. Those nations that continue fishing, at least in theory, subject to monitoring _____ and in port. at sea
5. My uncle got his sea legs very young, __________ when he was in the navy. 6. _________ time and cash of time and Oceans of cash were spent on the project.
Proverbs and Quotations
B. Study and Recite the Following Sayings or Quotations.
1. The potential of the average person is like a huge ocean unsailed, a new continent unexplored, a world of possibilities waiting to be released and channeled toward some great good. Brian Tracy 1. 常人的潜能如同人 迹罕至的瀚海，未经 开发的新大陆，内容 无限的新天地，待机 绽放，径通辉煌。
2.Just as the wave 2. 我和鲜活的人生经 cannot exist for itself, 历之间就得像海浪 but is ever a part of the 总是离不开汹涌的 heaving surface of the 波涛那样，相互依 ocean, so must I never live my life for itself, but 存，永不分离。 always in the experience which is going on around me Albert Schweitzer
3.Our ideals resemble the stars, which illuminate the night. No one will ever be able to touch them. But the men who, like the sailors on the ocean, take them for guides, will undoubtedly reach their goal. Carl Schurz
3. 人类的理想好似 天上的繁星，给 暗夜以光亮。尽 管遥不可及，却 能照亮坎途，直 达彼岸。
4.Most of us, I suppose, are a little nervous of the sea. No matter what its smiles may be, we doubt its friendship. ~H.M. Tomlinson
5. My connection to the earth is reinforced through the rhythm of the waves. ~Mike Dolan Thomas Jefferson
4. 我想，多数人对大 海是心有疑虑的。因 为不管她的笑容意味 着什么，我们总是对 她的善意心存狐疑。
5. 潮涨潮落滋养着我 与大地的联系。
6.The ocean ... like the air, is the common birth-right of mankind.
6. 海洋就像空气， 是上天赐予人类的 礼物。
1. The amenities of the resort increase the value of the homes, and building the homes first and selling them as they are completed help to finance the resort construction costs. (Para.1) Meaning: The value of the homes increases because of the resort’s facilities and the purchase of the homes after they were finished building can counterbalance the building costs.
amenities: n. the facilities which can make somebody feel comfortable and convenient
e.g. Since then, however, land has become more valuable, not just for timber but for providing "environmental services" such as flood control, climate change measures and amenity. 但是从那时起，林地变得越来越有价值，不仅是因为伐木 业，而且因为它所提
供的环境服务，例如控制洪水，调节 气候等。 e.g. Nap rooms have become a more commonplace amenity for companies looking to bill themselves as fun, dynamic places to work. 在许多公司，休息室已经成为一种越来越普遍的便利设施， 因为它们希望对外宣扬充满趣味和活力的公司形象。
2. A spa is increasingly a staple of not only large resorts but even boutique ecolodgies and city hotels, and its ―wellness‖ is in and with the baby boomers’ obsession with health, exercise, stress reduction, yoga, organics, and fine wines. (Para.5)
Meaning: The tourists can find a spa in the large resorts, small-sized ecolodgies and city hotels, for it suits very well the baby boomers’ personal fascination with health, exercise, stress reduction, yoga, organics and fine wines.
obsession (with): n. an emotional state in which someone or something is so important to you that you are always thinking about them, in a way that seems extreme to other people
e.g. Nonetheless, foreign women—like the nurses—appear to have been something of an obsession. 然而，外国妇女似乎也会有几分困扰，比如说前面提到 的护士。 e.g. That was a determination so strong it amounted almost to an obsession – a burning, overwhelming desire to become a top salesman. 这就是我近乎痴迷的决心，那种在内心中燃烧的、无 法阻止的、要成为顶级推销员的渴望。
obsess: v. be preoccupied with something
e.g. And even supposing that, because of his pride, he did not beg for freedom, I find it difficult to believe that this thought did not obsess him. 且进一步假设，因为他的骄傲，他不会乞求自由， 我发现这种假设很难令人信服，因为他从来就没 有这种想法。 e.g. They continue to obsess us because it is truly, deeply what all little girls want. 她们不再粘着我们，只因为这是所有女孩子们 心灵深处的梦想。
3. The rationale, according to INCAE economist Lawrence Pratt, is the real estate speculation. (Para.6) Meaning: The most fundamental reason in Lawrence Pratt’s mind an economist coming from INCAE is the risky investment in the field of real estate. rationale: n. the set of reasons that something such as a plan or belief is based on e.g. The following sections elaborate on each of the above coexistence situations, and the rationale for the actions you should take. 下面的部分解释上面的每一种共存状态和你应该采取行动 的基本原理。 e.g. Yet Rice hardly stands out in an administration that confected the rationale for the invasion of Iraq out of a few stray rumors, stale leads and discredited reports.
speculation: n. an investment that is very risky but could yield great profits
e.g. I would go further and say this is not primarily
a crisis of financial speculation, but one of economic policy. 我将进一步指出，从根本上讲，这不是一场金融投机危机， 而是一场经济政策危机。 e.g. But the speculation about who will take over when you are no longer around is damaging. 但是，人们对你不再能管理公司时谁将接你班的猜测， 对公司是有害的。
4. While few of the tourists and even fewer locals use these golf courses, the impact of development and yearly maintenance of golf courses remain severe. (Para.7)
Meaning: It has become more and more difficult to maintain the yearly development of these golf courses just because fewer and fewer local residents and tourists are willing to visit them.
maintenance: n. 1. the process of continuing something or keeping it in existence
e.g. They are happy with their existing applications and could cut their maintenance costs in half. 他们满足于现有的应用程序，并且他们的维护费用能削 减一半。 e.g. These same four phases are replicated in every type of delivery mechanism, whether it is a major release or a smaller maintenance service release. 这四个相同的阶段在每种类型的传送机制上被复制，不论 是重要的版本或是小的维护服务的版本。 e.g. The questions of how much better performance and how much more maintenance must be evaluated in your own organization. 性能提高多少和维护增加多少的问题就必须在您自己的组 织中进行评估了。
maintenance: n. 2. means of maintenance of a family or group
e.g. Maintenance grants are intended to help students from low-income households. 发放生活补助是为了帮助来自低收入家庭的学生。 e.g. In the mediation meeting, the mother agreed to share their children's maintenance with the father. 在调解会上，母亲同意和父亲共享孩子的抚养权。 e.g. Local government has decided to provide an allowance for family maintenance. 当地政府决定发放家庭生活费补助。
5. In tropical areas, where most of these new upcoming resorts will be located, pesticide usage escalates. (Para.7) Meaning: The amount of pesticide usage increases especially in tropical areas where most new resorts will be built in the near future. escalate: v. to increase, especially at a fast rate that causes problems e.g. Border clashes between Indian and Pakistani troops have frequently threatened to escalate into a wider conflict in the south on the broad plains of Punjab. 在广阔的旁遮普平原南部，印度和巴基斯坦军队之间的边境冲突， 经常有升级为更大范围冲突的危险。 e.g. Many of these behaviors may come to the attention of physicians, and physicians must be aware not only of strategies for treating that behavior but also the potential for it to escalate. 许多这些行为可以引起医师的注意。医师必须不仅注意治疗行为的 策略，而且也要注意行为升级的潜在性。
escalation: n. an increas
e to counteract a perceived discrepancy e.g. The current escalation of the violence only compounds the health situation and unnecessarily exacerbates the fragile status of the civilians caught up in this conflict. 目前，暴力的升级只会使健康状况复杂化，并且不必要 地加剧平民在这场冲突中所处的脆弱地位。 e.g. And repression creates new grievances and channeling of federal funds creates a lot of corruption and these two sort of grievances now come together and drive the new escalation. 而镇压行动带来了新的怨恨情绪，而输送联邦资金造 成了许多腐败，这两方面现在集合起来造成局势的新 的升级。
6. While clear water activities are an important part of coastal tourism, the scale of marina development, like that of golf courses, is outstripping demand. (Para.8)
Meaning: The marina supply is exceeding the market demand as the golf courses do for clear water activities are an important part in the coastal tourism.
outstrip: v. go far ahead of
e.g. The theory is that advertising revenue will outstrip subscription revenue. 其中的理论依据是，广告收入将超过订阅收入。
e.g. Demand for upscale cars in China may outstrip the overall car market during 2010 as a growing number of wealthy Chinese boost demand for upscale models. Research group J. D.
中国对高档车的需求在2010 年可能会超过总体车 市需求，这是因为中国有钱人越来越多，对高档 车的需求也越来越大。
outstrip: v. be or do something to a greater degree
e.g. The companionship offered by many pets is thought to be good for you, but the benefits of owning a dog outstrip those of cat owners, the study says. 这份研究说，许多不同宠物的陪伴，对你应该 都有益处，但养狗的好处又胜过养猫。 e.g. A gentleman takes it as a disgrace to let his words outstrip his deeds. 君子耻其言而过其行。
7. Again, one of the rationales appears to real estate speculation: bumping up the price of vacation homes and of resort stays because of their proximity to a marina. (Para.8) Meaning: Another basic reason in the real estate speculation becomes apparent which is expressed as the increasing of the price of vacation homes and resorts hotels driven by their location near to a marina.
proximity: n. the region close around a person or thing
e.g. If you live near an event space or major urban center, you can collect parking fees from attendees willing to pay for proximity. 如果你住在一个活动场地附近或者城市的主要中心， 你可以从参加者那里得到靠近你车道的停车费。
e.g. Through their sheer size and proximity to the city center, the casinos have already transformed Singapore’s landscape. 由于规模巨大且邻近市中心，这两家赌场已经 成为了新加坡的新景观。
8. While promoters of marinas argue that they provide needed services and help to regulate pleasure boats, opponents
argue that marinas attract a less desirable international clientele and serve as a gateway for drugs, prostitution, and other illegal and anti-social activities. (Para.8) Meaning: On one hand, the supporters of marinas insist that they can satisfy the tourists’ needful services and help to manage pleasure boat; on the other hand, dissenters argue that marinas are less attractive for international clientele and offer the convenience for some illegal and anti-social activities such as drug, prostitution.
regulate: v. 1. to control an activity, process, or industry officially by using rules
e.g. For a long time, the government didn’t regulate this term, and we really had no guarantee of the degree what this term meant when displayed on a food label. 曾有很长一段时间，政府不加规范这个术语（指有机食 品），我们也的确不知道当这些术语出现在食品标签上 代表着什么意义。 e.g. But the remedy for worries about food safety is not to reduce competition but to regulate and enforce standards. 但是治疗对食品安全的担忧的手段并不是减少竞争，而 是控制和加强管理。
regulate: v. 2. fix or adjust the time, amount, degree, or rate of e.g. Thermostats can be used to regulate the
temperature of a room.
恒温器可用来调节室内温度。 e.g. Not only do they provide goods and livelihoods but they also protect soils, regulate water and absorb carbon. 它们不仅提供商品和生计，而且还保护土壤， 调节水分和吸收二氧化碳。
all-inclusive ['?l?n 'klus?v] adj. including everyone or everything, especially all the costs, charges, and services that make up the total price of something 包含一切的， 全部囊括在内的，包罗万象的
e.g. An all-inclusive two-week holiday costs around ￡880 per person. 为期两周、包括所有费用的度假大约每人花 费880英镑。
resort [r?'z??t] n. a place that many people go to for a vacation 度假胜地
e.g. Chance had thrown us together at a skiing resort. 机缘使我们在一个滑雪胜地相遇。 e.g. One has sometimes to resort to these little devices. 人们有时还得依靠这些小玩意儿。
condo ['k?nd?u] n. one of the dwelling units in a condominium 一套公寓住房
e.g. Refreshing cold blowing wind outside my 14 floor condo's window. 14楼的窗外，吹来冷冷清爽的风，心旷神怡。
boutique [bu?'ti?k] n. a small fashionable store, especially one that sells clothes 小型精 品店 boutique caters for a rather select e.g. The
这家精品店为特定的顾客群服务。 e.g. I've had a look at the dresses in the new boutique, but they're nothing to write home about.
conversion [k?n'v????n] n. the process of changing from one system, method, or use to another 转作他用
e.g. ...the conversion of disused rail lines into cycle routes... 将废弃的铁
路线改成自行车道 e.g. A loft conversion can add considerably to the value of a house. 将阁楼改造一下就可以使房子的价值大增。
equivalent [?'kw?v?l?nt] adj. someone or something that has the same size, value, importance, or meaning as someone or something else 相同的，相当的
e.g. The equivalent of two tablespoons of polyunsaturated oils is ample each day... 每天相当于两大汤匙多重不饱和油的量就足够了。 e.g. Even the cheapest car costs the equivalent of 70 years' salary for a government worker. 即使是最便宜的汽车，价格也相当于一个公务 员70年的薪水。
intensive [?n'tεns?v] adj. involving a lot of effort, energy, or attention 集中的
e.g. ...several days and nights of intensive negotiations... 几天几夜紧锣密鼓的谈判 e.g. Each counselor undergoes an intensive training program before beginning work. 每个辅导员在上岗前都要接受密集培训。
upcoming ['?p.k?m??] adj. of the relatively near future 临近的,即将出现的
e.g. I became completely uninterested in my upcoming graduation, the senior-class play and the prom. 对于临近的毕业盛典，还有毕业班的演出和 舞会，我变得一点都没兴趣。 e.g. In preparation for upcoming shows and new album here's another practice clip. 他在准备即将到来的演唱会和新专辑的同时， 提供了另一个练习吉他的短片。
escalate ['εsk?le?t] v. to increase, especially at a fast rate that causes problems 逐步增加， 逐步升级
e.g. Both unions and management fear the dispute could escalate... 工会和管理层都担心争端会恶化。 e.g. The protests escalated into five days of rioting... 抗议升级为为期5天的骚乱。
exaggerate [?g'z? ??re?t] v. to describe something in a way that makes it seem better, worse, larger, more important, etc. than it really is 夸张，夸大
e.g. If you exaggerate, people will no longer believe you. 如果你说话虚夸，人们便不会相信你了。 e.g. We can't exaggerate his scientific attainment. 我们无法估量他在科学上的造诣。
opposition [?p?'z???n] n. strong disagreement with a plan or policy, especially when this is shown in active attempts to prevent something 异议，反对
e.g. The government is facing a new wave of opposition in the form of a student strike... 政府面临着学生通过罢课掀起的新一轮反对浪潮。 e.g. Much of the opposition to this plan has come from the media. 该计划的主要反对声音来自媒体。
a range of
e.g. There was a range of opinion within the ecclesiastical hierarchy on the issue. 这个问题在基督教会的领导阶层中存在多种 意见。
e.g. The two men discussed a range of issues. 那两个人讨论了一系列问题。 c.f. range from …to… to be included in a group of numbers, ages, measurements, etc. with particular fixed limits 包含，包括
a pool of 个
in amount of 一些，几
e.g. The body was lying in a pool of blood. 尸体躺在血泊中。 e.g. A pool of clear water is lit by underwater lights.
a staple of to be a part of something 为 某物的一个组成部分
e.g. Political reporting has become a staple of American journalism. 政治新闻已成为美国新闻报道的主要内容。 e.g. The need to "clean out" the State Department has become a staple of our political oratory. 国务院需要一次“清洗”已成了我们在政治上 的一句口头禅。
stress reduction easing one’s living pressure 缓解生存压力
a network of 大量
a great number of 许多，
e.g. Bangkok is crisscrossed by a network of klongs. 曼谷有纵横交错的运河网。 e.g. A network of ripples quivered momentarily across the surface of the still pool. 顷刻间平静的池水面上轻轻地泛起一层涟漪。
to increase 提高，增加
e.g. You need more high marks bump up your average.
你要拿更多的高分才能提高你的平均分。 e.g. Don't bump up prices. 不要使物价骤然上涨。
maintenance ['me?nt?n?ns] n. the process of continuing something or keeping it in existence 维护，保养 pesticide ['pεst?sa?d] n. a chemical used for killing insects, especially those that damage crops 杀虫剂 agrarian [??gre?r ?n] adj. relating to or involving farming or farmers土地的， ? 耕地的 tropical ['tr?p?kl] adj. in or from the hottest parts of the world热带的
fertilizer ['f??t?la?z?r] n. a natural or chemical substance added to soil in order to help plants grow 肥料 herbicide [? ?rb??sa n. a chemical used for killing weeds除草剂 ?d] outstrip [aυt'str?p] v. to become larger than something else胜过；超过 propose [pr?'p?uz] v. to suggest a plan, idea, or action 提议 pricetag [pra?s t? g] n. a label on a product that says how much it costs 价 格标签 proximity [pr?k's?m?t?] n. how near something is to another thing, especially in distance or time 临近，靠近 regulate ['rεgjule?t] v. to control an activity, process, or industry officially by using rules规范，管制
clientele [?kli ?n?tel] n. the customers of a store, hotel, restaurant, ? etc. considered as a group（总称）顾客，客户 implementation [? ?mpl?m?n?te ??(?)n] n. the process of implementing something 贯彻，实行 displacement [d?s?ple ?sm?nt] n. a situation in which a person is forced to leave their region or country and go and live somewhere else 搬迁，迁移 consistency [k?n's?st?ns?] n. the degree to which a substance is thick, smooth, or firm 粘稠度 destruction [d?s'tr^k??n] n. damage that is so severe that something stops existing or can never return to its normal state 破坏，毁灭 Phrases and Expressions
New Words architect ['??k?tεkt] n. someone whose job is to design buildings 建筑师 amenity [?'mεn?t?]n. something that makes it comf
ortable or enjoyable to live or work somewhere 使生活快乐,舒适,便利的事物,如设备,设施,场所。 condominium [k?nd?'m?n??m] n. a building that contains several apartments, each of which is owned by the people who live there 产权归住房者所有的公寓楼 urbanization [? ?rb?n??ze ??(?)n] n. the process by which towns and cities grow bigger and more and more people go to live in them 城市化 setting ['sεt??] n. the place where someone or something is, and all the things, people, or emotions that are part of that place 环境，背景 ecolodge ['ik?l?d?] n. a hotel or restaurant designed according to the ecological principle 生态旅馆 obsession (with) [?b'sε??n] n. an emotional state in which someone or something is so important to you that you are always thinking about them, in a way that seems extreme to other people 困扰 人的想法，着迷 statistics [st?'t?st?ks] n. a datum that can be represented numerically 统计数据 rationale [?r? ???n?l] n. the set of reasons that something such as a plan or belief is based on 根本原因 speculation [?spekj ?le ? ???n] n. attempts to make a large profit by buying and selling things such as property or stock 投资，商业投机