1. John _____ come to see us tonight, but he isn’t very sure yet.
A. may B. can C. has
to D. must
2. You _____ go to see a doctor at once because you’re got a fever.
A. can B. must C.
dare D. would
3. You __________ miss the last bus.
A. hadn’t better B. didn’t have better
C. had better not D. not had better
4. –Must we do our homework first?
-No, you ______. You may have a rest first.
A. mustn’t B. needn’t C. may not D. can’t
5. I would rather _____ to school than _____ a bus to school.
A. walk; take B. to walk; take C. to walk; to take D. walk; to take
6. Is he _____ able to predict what will happen in the future?
A. able to B. be able to C. be able for D. able for
7. The children ______ play football on the road.
A. can’t B. can C.
mustn’t D. must
8. -He ______ be in the classroom, I think.
-No, he ______ be in the classroom, I saw him go home a minute ago.
A. can; may not B. must; may not C. may; can’t D. may; mustn’t
9. Debbie __________ swim across the Channel last year.
A. can B. may C.
could D. was able to
10. His arm is all right. He ______ go and see the doctor.
A. has not to B. doesn’t have to C. haven’t
to D. don’t have to
11. -Do you know whose dictionary it is?
-It ______ Li Mei’s. Her name is on it.
A. can be B. must be C. should be D. need be
12. Helen _______ go on the trip with us but she isn't quite sure yet.
A. shall B. must C. may D. can
1-5.ABCBA; 6-10. ACCDB; 11-12. BC