Unit 4 Timetables
Task 3 Put in use
Fill in the blanks according to the clues given in the brackets.
Bob is calling a receptionist for information about flights from Beijing to Hong Kong. Receptionist: CAAC information. Can I help you?
Bob: Yes. (询问星期二是否有到香港的航班)
R: Yes, there is.
R: No, (告诉对方需要在广州转机)
B: Oh, how long does it stop over in Guangzhou?
R: From 11:50 to 12:50.
B: 11:50 to 12:50.That’s an hour. Well, (告诉对方情愿坐直达航班) R: I’m sorry, but (告诉对方星期二没有直达航班)
B: What about Wednesdays?
B: Good. (询问起飞时间)
R: 8:45 a.m. And (告诉对方达到香港的时间是上午11:45)
Task 4 1) Suppose you are flying to Hong Kong from Beijing. Call Beijing Airlines
for the information about the flights.
2) Present the following timetable.
Beijing ----Guangzhou----Hong Kong
Task 5 1) Suppose you are going to Beijing from Changsha by train. Call Changsha
Train Station for the information about the trains.
2) Present the following timetable.
1. P56 1
2. Read and recite the dialogues on P55
Unit 4 Schedules
1. The students should grasp the words and phrases related to one’s schedule.
2. The students should be able to ask for and offer information about one’s schedule.
3. The students should be able to present a schedule. Teaching Time
Expressions for asking for and offering information about one’s schedule
1. Task Principle
2. Communication Principle
1. Study of essential words and phrases.
2. Study of expressions for asking for/ offering information about schedules.
3. Practice asking for / offering information on schedules
4. Work in pairs and make a short dialogue according to Mark’s schedule on P53.
5. Present Mark’s schedule on P53.
6. After-class exercises.
Task 1 Words and phrases
January February March April May June July
August September October November December
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
(have) class meeting / sales meeting / staff meeting / business meeting
（开）班会 / 销售会 / 公司职员大会 / 商务会议
attend conference on American higher education system
attend a lecture on American literature
attend Bob’s birthday party
meet Mr. Green / an appointment with Mr. Green
会见 / 约见格林先生
discuss contracts / business report / plans about developing new products 讨论合同/商务报告/新产品开发计划
write business report / performance report
show Mr. Green around the plant
go around the plant
drive Mr. Green around the city
have lunch / dinner with Mr. Green
pick up Mr. Green at the airport
check into Beijing Hotel
pick up Mr. Green to the airport
Task 2 Essential expressions
Have you been busy recently?
Yes, and I have a busy schedule this week, too.
What’s your schedule for tomorrow?
I’m attending the sales meeting at 9:00 in the morning…
What’s your plan for this weekend?
I’m going to Hangzhou.
What are the office hours?
The office hours are from 9 a.m to 3 p.m.
What are the opening hours of Grove Restaurant?
It is open from 6:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Task 3 Put in use
Put the following into English:
后天上午8点半我要约见银行经理安德森先生，下午乘4点45的航班去香港参加星期四的会议。 星期五乘2点15 的航班返回。
Task 4 Suppose you are talking with Mark about his schedule for the coming week. Make a dialogue according to the following schedule, and then present Mark’s schedule.
Task 5 Translate the following schedule into English, and then present the schedule.
1. Write a paragraph based on the information given in the table. You can begin your passage by “Grove Hotel provides a number of shops and restaurants and other services for your convenience. The restaurant serves…”
Services at Grove Hotel
2. Suppose this is your schedule for the coming three days. Present your schedule to your partner, and then write a short passage. You can begin your passage by “I’ve got a very busy schedule…”
Unit 4 Listening Practice
The students should be able to get useful information about schedules and timetables by listening. Teaching Time
1. Study of some relevant words and phrases.
2. Listen to two dialogues and one short passage, and then do the exercises.
3. Retell what is heard.
Task 1 Relevant words and phrases
do some extra work 加班
go to the evening classes 上夜校
get out of work 下班
ahead of schedule 提前
behind schedule 比规定时间晚
on schedule 准时
run on a schedule 按照时间表行驶
at a certain time 在某一时间
be filled up with 装满
Task 2 Listen to dialogue 1 and decode the information by filling in Susan’s schedule.
Task 3 Listen to dialogue 1 again and answer the following questions orally, and then present Susan’s schedule for the coming week.
1. When is the conversation taking place?
2. What time is Susan having a meeting that day?
3. When is Susan to meet Jack?
4. What does Susan ask Ann to do?
5. When do you think Susan will meet Ann?
6. Why can’t Susan meet Ann this week?
Task4 Listen to dialogue 2 and fill in the missing numbers.
The caller wants to go to London for a meeting at __________on the morning of the ____________. He needs to get there on the evening of the __________. He doesn’t want the _________ flight because it is too early. The next flight which leaves at ___________ is not OK for him either. Finally he decides to book a seat on the _________ flight. He will arrive in London at ___________.
Task 5 Listen to dialogue 2 again and answer the following questions orally, and then present the main idea of the dialogue.
1. What is the man doing?
2. Where is he going and what is he going there for?
3. How many flights are mentioned in the dialogue? What’s the departure time for each flight?
4. Which flight will the man take? Why?
Task 6 Listen to a short passage and fill in the blanks. The words in the brackets will give you
Mr. Walker is the driver of a bus that is operated by the (whom?)_____________especially for people using the (what?) _____________. Mr. Walker’s bus runs (how?) ________________. This means that he must leave the airport at a certain time. A schedule is sometimes called a (what?)__________because it lists the times for things. The bus schedule lists the times at which the buses leave the airport and the (what?) __________ times at each stop. It also lists the (what?) _____________ times from each stop on the return trip to the airport.
If a bus is filled up with (whom?) ____________, Mr. Walker can leave ahead of schedule, or early. He is not allowed to leave ahead of time if he doesn’t have a (what?)______________,which means that every (what?) __________ on the bus is taken.
Even if a driver has (how many?)__________ passengers, the bus must leave the airport on schedule. An exception to this (what?) ___________ is sometimes made when a flight is (how?)__________ in arriving at the airport. Then the driver may (do what?) __________ until there are some passengers to take to the city.
Task 7 Listen to the passage twice more and answer the following questions orally, and then present the main idea of the passage.
1. What does Mr. Walker do?
2. What kind of people take his bus?
3. Is a schedule important for Mr. Walker? Why?
4. What is the other name for “schedule”?
5. If Mr. Walker has only a few passengers, what should he do?
6. When can he leave ahead of schedule?
7. What does a full load mean?
8. When can he be behind schedule?
Unit 4 Reading Practice
Punctuality and Keeping Promise
1. The students should be able to understand the main idea of the passage and realize the importance of punctuality and keeping promise.
2. The students should master some key words and sentence structures.
1. Task principle
2. Communication principle
1. Warm-up questions
2. Ask the students to read the whole passage and find the difficult words and sentences.
3. Discuss the difficulties found in the passage.
4. Ask some questions to make sure the students understand the main idea.
5. Check the langue points: Words and Phrases; Sentence Structures
6. After-class exercises
Task 1 Try to answer the following questions.
1. Do you always attend a class or a meeting or a party on time?
2. Do you think it important to be on time? Why or why not? Could you tell a story or your experience to support your opinion?
Task 2 Answer the following questions according to the passage.
1. What is emphasized in social activities?
2. How will a foreign guest feel if you are late in getting to the airport to meet him?
3. When should the guests come to a social activity?
4. If you are late for a social activity, what should you do?
6. What should you do if you cannot inform the person concerned of the change of an appointment? Task 3 Words and Phrases
1. When the teacher says a word or an expression learned before, respond with the new one in the passage.
being on time punctual
place emphasis on emphasize
anxious, worried; involved concerned
cause to feel ashamed, uncomfortable embarrass
at whatever time whenever
give a party for; provide food and drink for entertain
say one’s sorry apologize
give information to inform
not expected unexpected
not polite impolite
arrangement to meet sb. appointment
2. When the teacher says a word or a phrase in Chinese, try to find its English equivalent in the passage.
have a strong conception of time 有很强的时间观念
keep one’s promise 遵守诺言
keep sb. waiting 让（某人）等待
meet a foreign guest at the airport 去机场接外宾
see off a foreign guest at the railway station 去火车站送外宾
come to the place ahead of schedule 提前到场
so as to 以便，为了
entertain the guests 招待客人
be late for a social activity （参加）社交活动迟到 make an appointment 订好约会
make a rearrangement 做新的安排
make an apology to sb. 向（某人）道歉 as soon as possible 尽快
the person concerned 相关的人
in this case 这样的话，在这种情况下 Task 4 P61 4
Task 5 Key Structures
Pay attention to the structures, and then translate the sentences.
1. It is + adj. + to do sth.
In social activities it is always emphasized to be punctual.
It is hard to imagine what will happen if he doesn’t come on time.
2. How + Adj. / Adv. + S + V +…
How anxious and embarrassed he will be when he sees no person meeting him.
3. What is the use / point of doing sth.
What’s the use of your going there?
What’s the point of his making promise without keeping them?
4. The same is true with…
The same is true with the activity of seeing off a foreign guest. 庆祝新年的风俗也是如此。
Unit 4 Tenses
1. The students should be able to write down the verb forms of different tenses.
2. The students should know how to use the tenses.
Usage of tenses
1. Review the verb forms of different tenses.
2. Practice writing down the verb forms of different tenses.
3. Learn how to use the tenses correctly by practice.
4. After-class exercises.
Task 1 Verb forms of different tenses.
Task 2 Write down the different forms of the following
of the word given. Pay attention to the notes.
2. I’ll be glad to go to the picnic if the weather
Task 3 Complete each of the following sentences
3. It won’t be long before we __________ (meet) again.
4. If you come tomorrow, I __________ (go) swimming with you.
5. China will be the largest market for automobiles in 20 to 50 years if the country’s economy _______ (continue) to grow at the current rate.
Note: 在条件（if, as long as, unless）与时间（as soon as, when, the moment +clause, etc.）状语从句中，用一般现在时表将来。
6. He __________ (water) the garden while his wife was cooking.
7. The actors _________ (still perform) on the stage although it was raining hard.
8. Susan ________ (cook) dinner while Robert was fixing the car.
9. They were playing basketball while I ___________ (do) the experiment in the lab.
10. We were playing chess while Tom and Bob _________ (fish).
11. I _________ (have) dinner at a restaurant when Henry came in.
12. While he ________ (eat), I asked him for 20 dollars.
13. Was it still raining when you __________ (come) in?
14. He lost his cell phone when he ___________ (play) football.
15. A young man stood nearby while I _______ (read) the newspaper.
Note: 过去动作A在进行，进行过程中出现B动作，A用过去进行时，B用一般过去时。 (sit) down beside me.
17. She opened her handbag and _______ (take) out her powder compact, and then she ________ (begin) to make up her face.
18. He got into the car and __________ (drive) away quickly.
19. The man put his hand into his pocket, and __________ (take) out a phrasebook. He
__________ (open) the book and _________ (find) a phrase. He _________ (read) the phrase slowly.
20. She _________ (drop) the tray when she saw me.
21. She __________ (wait) for you for a long time before she left in disappointment. Had waited
22. They had their dinner after they_________ (finish) the assignment.
23. On his way home he suddenly remembered that he ________ (not lock) the door of the office.
24. We __________ (not disturb) him until he __________ (finish) work.
25. The old lady ____________ (be) very ill for a long time before she was taken to the hospital. Note: AB两个过去动作，A在B动作之前已完成，A用过去完成时，B用过去时。
26. My supervisor promised that he _________ (come) to help me immediately.
27. Mr Smith told me that he ____________ (not come) back until the weekend.
28. She told me she _________ (be) absent from school next week.
29. The secretary told me that Mr. Harmsworth _______ (see) me.
30. He said I _________ (receive) an extra thousand pounds a year.
Task 4 A few structures often tested
1) have +V-ed … since …/ so far / up to now
2) have +V-ed +in the last three years / months, etc. 在过去的两个月他们已卖出数百台电脑。
3) This/ It is the first time + S + has / have + V-ed 这是他第一次坐飞机。
4) will have + V-ed + by (the end of ) + 将来时间 新体育馆将在2006年底前竣工。
5) had + V-ed + by (the end of ) + 过去时间
6) will + V… in +时间
He will arrive here in half an hour.
Task 5 Complete each of the following sentences with the correct form of the word given.
1. Since the introduction of the new technique, the production cost ___________ (reduce) greatly.
2. Forty years ______ (pass) since the first bridge was built in the district.) has passed
3. The Chinese people are doing things no one _________ (do) so far.
4. This is the first time I ________ (see) such a terrible scene.
5. I hope they ___________ (repair) the road by the time we come back next summer.
6. By the time you get there tomorrow, they _____________ (leave) for Beijing.
7. Three new buildings _________ (build) on the campus by the end of this year.
8. The project to clear up the polluted river ________ (complete) by the end of next year.
9. He said, “I __________ (learn) a lot of new words by the end of last year.”
10. In two month’s time he __________ (finish) his training and start work.
1. P66 4
2. Complete each of the following sentences with the correct form of the word given.
I _____ (have) dinner at restaurant when Henry came in. Henry ______(work) in a lawyer’s office years ago, but now he _____ (work) at a bank. Henry ______(get) a good salary, but he always _______ (borrow) money and never ________ (pay) it back. Henry ______(see) me and _________ (come) to sit down beside me at the same table. He _________ (never borrow) money from me. While he __________ (eat), I ______ (ask) him to lend me 2 dollars. To my surprise, he _______(give) me the money immediately. “I ______(never borrow) any money from you”, Henry said,
“so now you can pay for my dinner.”