Topics for the first Oral Practice for Grade 2010
Directions: Work in pairs or in groups to discuss the following topics for the first oral English class. Try to use what you have learned in both textbooks to prepare conversations, short speeches or games before class. You can use the useful expressions and phrases in textbooks as many as possible and your performances would be assessed based on your work.
Questions for discussion:
1) Does money mean happiness?
2) Suppose you have a large amount of money, what would you do with it?
3) Some people firmly believe the saying “Money makes the mare go”. What’s your opinion?
4) How do you budget your living allowance (money given by your parents)?
2. Dreams and Ambitions
1) What’s your dream? How will you realize your dream?
2) What do you think is the most important factor in realizing one’s dream?
3) What will you do if your dream collides with the realities?
4) In pursuing a dream, how to keep a balance between one’s strong wish for the dream to come true and the realities of one’s abilities and circumstances?
1) Do you like keeping pets? Why or why not?
2) Suppose you have a pet. What will you do with your pet when you are away from home for a long time?
3) Keeping pets has become a big industry throughout the world. Do you think people should spend so much time and money on pets? Why or why not?
4) What are the positive effects that having a pet brings to the owner?
5) What is the negative side of keeping animals as pets?