Unit 3 Lesson 1
What festivals happen during the four seasons?
What festivals fall in it ? Women’s Day Qingming Festival May Day
What festivals fall in this season?
Dragon Boat Festival The Children’s Day
What festivals fall in it ?
the Teachers’ Day the National Day the Mid-Autumn Day
What festivals fall in it?
the New Year’s Day Spring Festival The Lantern Festival
Look at the following pictures and guess what festivals they are?
The Qing Ming Festival
Chinese Valentine's Day (The Qixi Festival)
The Double Ninth Festival
Task1: Listen to the text and read each of the sentences below. Which festival does it belong to? 1. The festival falls on the fifth day of the fifth month of the lunar year. the Dragon Boat Festival 2. The special food for this festival is sweet dumplings. the Lantern Festival
3. On that day, the moon is said to be its biggest and brightest.
the Mid-Autumn Festival
4. On that day, many people like to meet in the evening and watch the moon. the Mid-Autumn Festival
5. This festival marks the end of the Chinese New Year celebration.
the Lantern Festival 6. This festival marks the beginning of the hottest season of the year. the Dragon Boat Festival
Task 2: read the text carefully and the table below. Festivals Date/month Special Special food activity The Midmeet in Autumn the 1 2 Festival evening;
Special meaning a special day for 4
The Lantern Festival The Dragon Boat Festival
light (v.) marks all kinds 8 of 7 Organiz marks e 11 12
Date/month Special Special activity food meet in the evening; ___3____ watch the moon
The Mid- The 15th. Autumn day of the Festival __1___ 8th lunar month. September or October
moon 2 cake
a special day for ___4____ family
Festivals Date/month Special Special activity food The Lantern Festival light (v.) sweet all kinds 6 dump of -ling ___7___ lanterns
The 15th. day of the first _____5____ lunar month
marks ___8____ the end of the Chinese New Year celebrations
Festivals Date/month Special Special activity food The Dragon Boat Festival
the fifth 9 day of the fifth lunar month
organize marks 10 zongzi ___11__ ___12___ dragon the beginning boat of the races hottest season of the year
Task 3: Decide whether the following sentences are true (T) or false (F).
1. The Mid-Autumn Festival is celebrated only in China. 2. Nowadays, lanterns are usually lit by candles. 3. The Chinese New Year celebrations last until the Lantern Festival. 4. The Dragon Boat Festival marks the end of the Chinese New Year celebrations. 5. Nowadays, the Dragon Boat Festival is celebrated both in China and other countries.
Task 3: listen to the text and decide whether the following sentences are true (T) or false (F).
1. The Mid-Autumn Festival is celebrated Text A Para. 1 only in China.
by the Chinese people all over the world.
2. Nowadays, lanterns
are usually lit by Text B Para. 3 candles.
made with light bulbs and batteries, and they come in many shapes and sizes.
3. The Chinese New Year celebrations last until the Lantern Festival.
4. The Dragon Boat Festival marks the end of the Chinese New Year celebrations. Text C Para. 1
beginning of the hottest season of the year.
5. Nowadays, the Dragon Boat Festival is celebrated both in China and other countries. Text C Para. 2 The dragon boat races are also taken part in by people from other cultures.
Consolidate the key phrases by exercise:
burn down, fall on take an active part in, decorate... with... , include, It’s said that
including 1.Many students have passed the exam, _________Tom and Jim take an active part in 2.It’s good for the old people to __________________
Social activities. 3.Christmas _________________Saturday this week. 4.The building was burned down _____________ and only ashes (灰)were left. 5.The shops were decorated with _____________ flowers.
It’s said that 6.________________the moon is the biggest and brightest on that day including 7. They stole everything in my purse, ______ my credit card. has decorated 8. Tom ___________ his room with some photos of sports stars. falls on/upon
read the articles again. write a letter to introduce one of chinese festivals to your foreign friend.
Date/ Speci month al food The Jan. 1 dump Spring (lunar) -ling; Festival fish, … Qing Apr. 5 roast Ming (lunar) (烤的) pork; … Qixi July 7 (lunar) Double- Sep. 9 doubl Ninth (lunar) eninth cake
play fireworks; marks the beginning of a visit friends and new year relatives; …… make sacrifices a tomb-sweeping(扫墓) day (祭祀) to the ancestors (祖先) pray for (祈祷) a perfect love go climbing a special day for lovers a special day for old people