1. The most notable representative of dawning nationalism in American literature is
2. Franklin’s representative work is , and “poor and obscure” as he says in it.
3. Jonathan Edwards displayed the infinite inflexibility of the upper levels of the American mind,
Franklin displayed the infinite flexibility of its lower level.
4. Washington Irving’s representative work is a collection of essays, the most famous and frequently anthologized are “ and “
5. James Fenimore Cooper’s representative work is a new character of this fresh western world is His other works are：The Pioneers(拓荒者), The Last of the Mohicans(最后的莫西干人), The Prairie(大草原), The Pathfinder(探路人), The Deerslayer(猎鹿者).
6. Ralph Waldo Emerson’s work, Nature, is regarded as the Bible of New England Transcendentalism, his The American Scholar has been regarded as “American＇s Declaration of Intellectual Independence.”
7. Another renowned New England transcendentalist was Henry David Thoreau, his famous book is 8.Nathaniel Hawthorne：
Twice-Told Tales (1837); Mosses from an Old Manse(1846); The Blithedale Romance(1852); The Marble Faun(1860)
9. Herman Melville’s famous book is .
10. Walt Whitman’s representative work is 11. Emily Dickinson’s poems are “my life closed twice before its close” and “Because I could not stop for death” and “a narrow fellow in the grass”
12. Edgar Allan Poe’s representative work is .
13. William Dean Howells’s representative work is
14. Henny James’s works are
First period: (1865-1882)The American; Daisy Miller; The Portrait of a Lady
Second period(1882-1859)The Turn of the Screw; What Maisie Knew; The Ambassadors, The Wings of the Dove, The Golden Bowl — three great novels
15, Mark Twain’s representative works are The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry.
16. Stephen Crane’s work are Maggie: A Girl of the Streets; The Red of Courage; The Open Boat.
17. Frank Norris’s representative work is The Octopus.
18.Theodore Dreiser的金融三部曲：The Financier; The Titan; The Stoic. Best work: The American Tragedy
19. William Carlos Williams’ The Red Wheelbarrow is not only of imagist poetry, but also of modern American poetry.
20. American civil war happened in 1776, ended in 1783.
21. F.Scott Fitzgerald represents “the Jazz age”.
22. F.Scott Fitzgerald’s works are This Side of Paradise; Tales of the Jazz Age; The Great Gatsby; Tender is the Right.
23. Arms in A Farewell to Arms refers to love and war; its meaning is say goodbye to the war and love.
24. The fisherman in The Old Man and the Sea named Santiago
25. Robert Frost is invited to read his poem “The Gift Oatright” at President Kennedy’s inauguration in 1961.
26. Pound’s intellectual diary since 1915 is The Cantos.
27. e.e.cummings’ autobiographical narrative is The Enormous Room.
e.e.cummings’ poem is Love is more thicker than forget.