Module 9 English for you and me
Unit 2 We all own English.
Let’s get to know
As cultures meet and people from different countries communicate with each other more conveniently and more often. Many new words come into English and become part of it.
Chinese: kowtow, kungfu, tea…
Japanese: judo, kimono, sushi…
Australia: kangaroo, koala…
German: kindergarten… French: chef, chic, cliché, ballet, unique…
own everyday essential tourism quarter industrial Arabic recent typhoon importance in place of Indian 拥有 每天的;日常的 极其重要的 旅游业 四分之一 工业的 阿拉伯语 近来的 台风 重要性 代替 印度人
2 Work in pairs. Answer the questions.
1. How many people in the world speak English? About 400 million. 2. When did English become an international language? In the 20th century. 3. Why did English become so popular? In the 18th century, the UK’s industrial products were sold all over the world. In the 20th century, the USA spread English all over the world through newspapers, TV, films and advertising.
4. When will Chinese become an international language? By the middle of the 21st century. 5. Who owns English?
Everyone who speaks it.
Now read the passage and check.
3 Choose the best answer.
1. In a country like India, English is ____. d a) not taught in school b) spoken by everyone c) the most important foreign language d) not the language everyone speaks at home 2. English became more common because ____. c a) of the growth of the UK b) it’s an easy language to learn c) it was used in television, films and the Internet d) it was sold like an industrial product
3. English has many words which _______. b a) are difficult to remember b) first came from other languages c) look as if they come from another language d) are important to remember
4. In the middle of the twenty-first century, c Chinese _______. a) may replace English as an international language b) will be taught in all schools as a foreign language c) will be used as widely as English d) won’t be used as widely as English
4 Work in pairs and talk about your answers to the questions.
1. What do you want to use English for?
I want to use English for reading English newspapers and communicating with foreigners.
2. Do you know any Chinese words from English? Give some examples. Yes, I do. For example, sofa — 沙发, coffee — 咖啡, miniskirt — 迷你裙.
3. Do you agree that Chinese will one day
replace English? Maybe. If China continues to grow in
importance, Chinese will become as common
as English by the middle of the 21st century.
1. In Ghana, India, Nigeria and Singapore, English is used for government, education and trade … 注意：used 后所接的介词，be used for 表示 用于某种目的，be used as 表示“用作??”。 2. be essential for sth / sb to do
sth 对??至关重要 essential = important / crucial It was essential for me to finish the work in time.
3. there is a chance that +从句 / to do sth 有机会做?? There is a chance that you can pass the exam. = There is a chance for you to pass the exam. there is a chance that + 从句 = sb have a chance to do sth There is a chance that you can pass the exam. = You have a chance to pass the exam.
4. What’s more, English spelling… What’s more 表示“并且，更有甚者” 常用于对刚说过的话做进一步补充。如： These shoes are of good quality. What’s more, they’re not very expensive. 这些鞋质量很好，并且价格也不高。 He won the race, and what’s more, he broke the word record. 他获胜了，并且打破了世界记录。
5. The reason is that in the 18th century, the UK was a country whose industrial products were sold all over the world. 这其中的原因是在18世纪，英国的工业产品 销往世界各地。 注意： 在表示“??的原因是??”这个意思 时，不能说：the reason is because…，而应 该用 the reason is that…。如： He doesn’t come here today. The reason is that he’s ill at home. 他今天没来，因为他生病在家。
6. last v. 持续，坚持 Will the importance of English last? last + 时间段 / 表时间的副词 The travel lasted for one year and I went back to my hometown in 1999.
7. More and more schools in Europe are teaching Chinese as a foreign language, in place of other European languages. 欧洲越来越多的学校把中文当成外语来 教，取代了其他欧洲语言。 in place of 相当于 instead of ，表示“代替” 的意思。如：
I invited Joe in place of Tony, who was ill. 我邀请了乔，而没邀请托尼，因为他生病了。 In place of our advertised programme, we’ll be showing a film. 我们将放映一部电影来代替广告节目。 place 的短语： take place 发生，没有被动语态 take the place of sb / sth 代替?? The war took place in the 19th century. He has taken the place of me and becomes the new manager.
8. at least 至少 At least there are 20 students in this class coming from America. 反义词组: at most 至多 9. Even though there are differences in grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and spelling, we all belong to the international English speaking world. even though = even if 即使，尽管 Even if you have never failed the exam, you should prepare for it well.
1. it’s essential for 2. a quarter of 3. give help with 4. The reason is that 5. borrow sth from 6. either … or … 7. in importance 8. in place of 9. put … into … 10. belong to 对??至关重要 四分之一的 给予帮助 原因是?? 从某处借某物 或者??或者?? 在重要性方面 代替 把??变成?? 属于
5 Write a composition called: The future of Chinese ? Write notes about the following:
How many people spea
k Chinese at home in China? 800 million.
Where do people outside China speak Chinese? Singapore, Malaysia, Chinese communities all over the world. Who is learning Chinese elsewhere in the world? Schoolchildren in the UK and the USA. Why do you think people will speak Chinese as an international language in the future? importance of China as a world leader.
? Write your notes in full sentences.
About 800 million people speak Chinese at home in China . People in Singapore, Malaysia, ….
?Add any further information or ideas you may have.
Many people find Chinese an easy language to learn.
? Now write your composition.
Chinese is one of working languages in the United Nations. Not only people living inside China, but also many Chinese outside China speak it. You will find large or small groups of Chinese people living in almost every country in the world. They are living and working there. Chinese has the largest number of speakers in the world.
However, we have entered a period in history when children are all learning beginner or higher level English. But looking into the future, the number of learners may grow smaller almost as quickly as it increased. Many language learners are expressing an interest in learning Chinese.
1. – What do you call this in English? A sending letters. – It’s a stamp. It is used __ (2004年辽宁) A. for B. to C. with D. by 2. At least 300 million people are using QQ _____by Ma Huateng to chat on line. D (2010山东省潍坊市) A.create B.creates C.creating D.created
3. The food I cook isn't delicious, but __ C I can look after myself. (2010四川省成都市) A.at first B.at last C.at least 4. --Is it polite to speak and laugh loudly ______ ? A --No, I don’t think so. （2009年山西） A. in public B. at least C. on time
5.I will never forget the terrible accident____ B it happened so long ago. (2007年江苏扬州) A. only if B. even though C.only when D.ever since D failed, I’ll keep on trying again and agai 6.___ n until I make it. (无锡市中考真题) A. Even though I B. If I’ve C. If I D. Even though I’ve
Finish the exercises in the workbook Ex. 4, 7, 8 & 12.